Your Email Address:

First Name:

Is kefir good or bad?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
sharon
Junior

Is kefir good or bad?

Post by sharon »

I'm not sure. It has a lot of good bacterias and can help build balanced flora. From the lactose point of view, it is 99% lactos free. But it is still mucous producing, right?

I have allergy to dust mites, deviated septum and got frequent sinus congestion and infection. I don't know if kefir is good or bad for sinus infection? If sinus infection is related to candida, I guess it's good. BUT it's also mucus producing, and it's still dairy, which will give tonsil stones?

I'm really not sure, can anybody tell me your experience with kefir? Is it good or bad?

flavouredpig

Post by flavouredpig »

Hi Sharon,

I used to have dust mite allergies. The moment I put my head on the pillow or the bed, my nose would become blocked and I would breathe through my mouth. Then I'd wake up in the morning with a large amount of mucus that has accumulated in my throat. Does this exact same thing happen to you too?

I consequently went to an ENT and received dust mite allergy injections for 3 years and now I can breathe through my nose whilst sleeping. But I still woke up in the morning with mucus accumulated in my throat. Only after I changed my diet (to a high in vegetable diet) did the mucus stop accumulating in my throat in the mornings.

I still drink kefir now (I started drinking kefir since last year when I became suspicious that I have candida albicans and in turn I went on an anti-candida regimen for 6 months) and I don't wake up with mucus in my throat. So i'd say kefir has nothing to do with mucus production. It could be that because I treated my dust mite allergy and started eating healthily that my nose has stopped making abnormal amounts of mucus.

I love kefir, I think of it as yogurt but with better bacteria than yogurt.
Stankie

Post by Stankie »

Last edited by Stankie on Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sharon
Junior

Post by sharon »

hi favoredpig, I'm so glad to see your response. The scenario you described as dust mite allergy is exact what has been happening to me! But I never got any treatment except recently I bought a nasal filter and allergy gel. These stuff seem to work for some extent but not very well. I would like to go for allergy shot from your experience but I'm not sure if it's expensive.

I am also very glad to hear that kefir is actually good. I'm going to try it for another period of time since I stopped it for a week suspicing my nose is going to stuff again.

Thank you!
flavouredpig wrote:Hi Sharon,

I used to have dust mite allergies. The moment I put my head on the pillow or the bed, my nose would become blocked and I would breathe through my mouth. Then I'd wake up in the morning with a large amount of mucus that has accumulated in my throat. Does this exact same thing happen to you too?

I consequently went to an ENT and received dust mite allergy injections for 3 years and now I can breathe through my nose whilst sleeping. But I still woke up in the morning with mucus accumulated in my throat. Only after I changed my diet (to a high in vegetable diet) did the mucus stop accumulating in my throat in the mornings.

I still drink kefir now (I started drinking kefir since last year when I became suspicious that I have candida albicans and in turn I went on an anti-candida regimen for 6 months) and I don't wake up with mucus in my throat. So i'd say kefir has nothing to do with mucus production. It could be that because I treated my dust mite allergy and started eating healthily that my nose has stopped making abnormal amounts of mucus.

I love kefir, I think of it as yogurt but with better bacteria than yogurt.
sharon
Junior

Post by sharon »

Thank you Stankie, I appreciate your info. I checked online but it seems controversial about weather kefir kills casein.

I'm considering to buy some coconut kefir and experiment with it to see if I will develop sinus infection which sometimes happen when I drink milk kefir.

Thanks!
Stankie wrote:I drink kefir occasionally. I've always heard it's the casein in milk that produces mucus, not the lactose. The enzymes formed by the bacteria/yeasts in kefir are said to digest most/all of the different types of casein into other things.
flavouredpig

Post by flavouredpig »

Hi Sharon,

:) I am glad I was able to help. I live in Australia,I had a medicare and health care card so that means I didn't have to pay anything except for the consultation fees, which was about $200 or $100 something for each consultation with the ENT, and then I could claim back a part of that money by going to a medicare centre. I was referred to the ENT by my general practitioner. The ENT's nurses tested some allergy causing liquids on my right forearm, then I was sent out to the waiting room again to wait for the effect to be seen (the effect of whether my skin turned red and swollen from any allergy causing liquid), then I was called into the ENT's office and he told me I had dust mite allergy and he offered me the 3 year injections. He said that there's only an approximately 73% chance that the injections would relieve my dust mite allergy. So I said yes because he also told me that I didn't have to pay for these injections since they're government funded (funded by medicare). So I got the injections once every week until the bottle finished (I got the first two injections at the ENT's office and then I had to bring the bottle to my general practitioner (who refridgerates it) and then I go to her every week to get my injection). After the first bottle is finished, I go back to the ENT and he gives me another bottle, this one, I get injected every 2nd week. With the third bottle, I get injections every month. And so on for 3 years.
It may be expensive (for you) but if you have insurance, perhaps that might help. But I was wondering, have you tried changing your diet and are you positive it's dust mite allergy (have you gotten tested for it)?

Also, do you make your own kefir using kefir grains? (I do).

I only started drinking kefir last year. I got the allergy injections many years ago so I didn't know what kefir was back then and the injections really helped me to breathe through my nose at night. Just a warning (my ENT also warned me this), it may or may not work for you and it may or may not clear your nose and throat of mucus 100%, so, it is a gamble especially when you pay for it out of your own pocket (only if you do of course, if you don't have to pay for it then I definitely think you should get the injections).

Thanks Sharon.
SHITBREATH
Advanced

Post by SHITBREATH »

Hi!
For me it works much better to fermenting vegetables yourself .We know that the bad bacteria causing halitosis.I've tried kefir and bb got worse the reason is that when the weak probiotics die it becomes food for the other bad bacteria.For good bacteria to grow requires a pH 4-7 if they should survive.
Stankie

Post by Stankie »

Last edited by Stankie on Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SHITBREATH
Advanced

Post by SHITBREATH »

@Stankie I said make your own probiotics works better than kefiir.It is much stronger probiotics.In my case i know that the smell is coming from the back from my tongue. If you have dry mouth and white coating focus on the bad bacteria on your tongue.
Stankie

Post by Stankie »

Last edited by Stankie on Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SHITBREATH
Advanced

Post by SHITBREATH »

@Stankie Np,Probiotic helps you just have to make sure that they survive in your mouth and body.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic