Your Email Address:

First Name:

A question to all bb sufferers!

Do you have any quesions about bad breath?
sadmum
Advanced

A question to all bb sufferers!

Post by sadmum »

Hi All,

I'm just curious to know how many of you who suffer from chronic halitosis since a young age (10 yrs old in my case), have a parent or a relative who also has/had bad breath?

I realise that bad breath is not hereditary but many genetic disorders that lead to chronic bb are.

I’d really appreciate your answers.

Thanks

FedUp
God

Post by FedUp »

Not me.

Never had an issue with my breath until last year when I was 22.
Tonsillectomy - Check
Sinus CT Scan - All Clear - Check
Dentist Examination - "Gums very good" - Check
Endoscopy - Check - H Pylori Negative
Post nasal space cyst removed - Check
Wisdom Teeth Extraction - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
Stankie

Post by Stankie »

Last edited by Stankie on Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phantasist
Sheriff

Post by Phantasist »

My mother always had an odor on her breath. I've known this ever since I was a child. I therefore assumed that I simply inherited my bad breath from my mother. My theory was that we are both missing the antibacterial components in our saliva due to a genetic defect which I inherited. If that was the case, then that meant that I was doomed because no one can change my genetic makeup.

Halitosisux and Aydin Murat, the microbiologist, both disagree with that, claiming that bad breath cannot be inherited. I have no way of proving it one way or the other, but just about anything can be inherited. Each one of us has a genetic program which is a random combination of the genetic programs of our parents.

Of course bad breath would depend on the source. If it is due to a sinus infection which occurred at some point, then it is probably not inherited. But if the breath odor is due to missing antibacterial components in the saliva (such as Immunoglobulin A) then it could very well be due to a genetic defect which could certainly be inherited. Again, Halitosisux vehemently disagrees with this, and I have no way of proving my theory. In other words, I could be wrong. But I have my suspicions.
The hand we are dealt is fate. How we play the cards is free will.
coconuthead
Advanced

Post by coconuthead »

I've been suffering from BB since I was 10. I'm not sure if I had it before then, because my friends had only told me that my breath smelled bad at the end of my 5th grade school year.

None of my relatives have chronic bad breath. There's an occasional morning breath or bad breath after eating certain foods like onions or garlic, but nothing like my case (bad breath 24/7).
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Hi Phantasist, nice to hear from you again btw.

I'm not sure why you've said I claim that BB cannot be inherited. Of course BB can be inherited, for example if the BB happens to be related to a missing enzyme, or a genetic trait which leaves a person susceptible to bacterial problems, such as a deviated septum or small sinus openings, or a small jaw that causes teeth to impact.

I just thought it seems implausible that if there was some missing component in saliva/mucus that no research has so far managed to prove something so obvious. I also think it's far more likely that something is excessively present in saliva or simply something which shouldn't be, rather than something which isn't present.

If BB-free people have something in their saliva or mucus which is missing in yours which keeps them BB-free, then wouldn't that also protect them from morning breath? Yet, it's quite normal and most people wake up with morning breath. Saliva flow diminishes during sleep, but the mouth doesn't completely dry out and any antimicrobial components are still going to be present and doing their job even when saliva isn't flowing as much as it does when we're awake.

The fact that BB-free people can have morning breath also proves that a BB-free person isn't free of "bad" bad breath bacteria.
Phantasist
Sheriff

Post by Phantasist »

Hi Halitosisux,

I haven't been on the forum very much the last few months because I have had too many problems in my personal life (not connected with BB).

I thought you might respond to my post because we have been through this before. I'm glad you made the point about morning breath. To me that is a definite indication that normal saliva contains antibacterial properties that keep the anaerobic bacteria in check. As you said yourself, saliva flow diminishes during sleep and that allows the bacteria to grow, but when "normal" people get up in the morning, saliva flow starts up again, the antibacterial substances kill the bacteria and their breath returns to normal within a few minutes. The fact that normal people can have morning breath doesn't prove that their saliva is not protecting them. Saliva flow shuts down to practically nothing during sleep, otherwise your pillow would be wet in the morning. Without the saliva, there is nothing to combat the anaerobes. The reasonable assumption that I am making is that saliva is the natural protection against bad breath from anaerobes, but only if the saliva is not deficient in the antibacterial components. My questin is: How many of us bad breath sufferers are deficient in Immunoglobulin A and other immune substances that are supposed to be in saliva?
sadmum
Advanced

Post by sadmum »

Phantasist wrote: The reasonable assumption that I am making is that saliva is the natural protection against bad breath from anaerobes, but only if the saliva is not deficient in the antibacterial components. My questin is: How many of us bad breath sufferers are deficient in Immunoglobulin A and other immune substances that are supposed to be in saliva?

Phantasist….that assumption could be possible in the case that bb emanates from the mouth and can probably be controlled by using the right mouthwashes and oral cleaning techniques. I think the majority of us though who’ve had bb for decades have other and more complicated causes coming from the intestinal regions.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Hi Phantasist. You are probably right. It would be good if you could find some corroborative evidence which specifically proves a link a missing component and chronic halitosis.
Phantasist
Sheriff

Post by Phantasist »

"Phantasist….that assumption could be possible in the case that bb emanates from the mouth and can probably be controlled by using the right mouthwashes and oral cleaning techniques. I think the majority of us though who’ve had bb for decades have other and more complicated causes coming from the intestinal regions."

Sadmum,

There are underlying causes of bad breath which are not in the mouth, sinuses or throat, but those cases are rare. I'm pretty convinced that at least 85% of all breath odor originates in the mouth, sinuses or throat. I am one of those people who have had this problem for decades, and I also thought that it must have something to do with the intestines, such as small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBA), but I am more and more doubtful of that. After all, we don't breathe through our intestines.
I agree that the causes of bad breath are complicated. But you are wrong in thinking that mouthwashes and oral cleaning techniques can get rid of chronic bad breath. If you have an overgrowth of anaerobic bacteria in the mouth or throat, or possibly in the sinuses, all the mouthwashes in the world will not help you. In fact most mouthwashes will make it worse because they contain alcohol and sweetening agents and anything sweet is good food for bacteria. If you have a stale accumulation of mucus in your throat, it will become a bacteria factory and all the oral cleaning techniques will be useless. The air that exits your lungs passes over a section of your throat, thereby picking up the odor from the bacteria-laden mucus. No matter how clean your mouth is, you will exhale an odor.
Of course, there are medical conditions which produce breath odor, such as diabetes for instance. But I still think that we should look first in the immediate vicinity of the mouth such as the throat. The white coating on my tongue always seems to be thickest in the back (and probably reaches down into my throat).
These are just a few thoughts. There is a lot more to think about, because as you say, this problem is very complicated. Even the microbiologists haven't figured it out.
bbshiat

Post by bbshiat »

yeah bb starts, when i´m 10 years old.. then some 3 or 4 years later my bb

come through my nose , also have akne in the back
meowkity1
Super Angel

Post by meowkity1 »

Stankie, u say dad no smell but reactions. Can u explain exactly what happens? Could it be his nose? Many of us wish so ba that we coukld witness someone endure this weird phenomenon. I been taking my probiotics and was feeing confident today. I had to go to court today and as soon as I walked in the judge started coughing. I stepped out for a drink and came back in and he had a coughingattack. This is from across the room with my mouth closed. The balif was rubbing and lookking at me
ikageorgian
Advanced

Re: A question to all bb sufferers!

Post by ikageorgian »

sadmum wrote:Hi All,

I'm just curious to know how many of you who suffer from chronic halitosis since a young age (10 yrs old in my case), have a parent or a relative who also has/had bad breath?

I realise that bad breath is not hereditary but many genetic disorders that lead to chronic bb are.

I’d really appreciate your answers.

Thanks
Yes, I have sadmum. My grandfather's from my Dad's side, sister had it.
When I was a kid, 5-6 years old or so, detected her bb, I was trying to avoid her kissings,etc.
Even I've noticed, that when she was talking over the phone,
the receiver smelled when I answered the phone afterwards. My bb started
when I was 14, I don't know if it was related to that or just a coincidence.
ikageorgian
Advanced

Post by ikageorgian »

Think it has something to do with genes, though the onset of disease may be different.
ikageorgian
Advanced

Post by ikageorgian »

Unfortunately she was a roomfiller, like I used to be.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic