Your Email Address:

First Name:

Course of action

Tell us your story with bad breath
Stinkynick
Junior

Post by Stinkynick »

Just saw my primary. It went well, he confirmed what nobody close to me would. That I actually do have halitosis. Prescribed nexium and test for h.pylori...he also mentioned he has helped people like me to cure this terrible condition.

Stinkynick
Junior

Post by Stinkynick »

While waiting on results from h.pylori my doc gave me the ok to start metronidazole treatment. I've been taking 400 mg twice a day. First three days were GREAT, no bb and I was feeling normal again. Today at work I ate lunch and started flossing in the mirror. I got back by the molars and BAM I got hit with that awful smell that's been haunting me. I found a cavity I didn't know I had. I will have this tooth fixed within the next couple of days but what was so weird to me was that I wasn't getting reactions and couldn't detect it on myself until I flossed that particular tooth. Soon as I flossed I started getting reactions again for about an hour and the smell lingered for a while but seems to have gone down.

Could the bacteria be hiding in this tooth because of the metro? Is that why it wasn't detectable until disturbed?
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

I don't know if this would explain it, but while antibiotics are circulating around in your bloodstream it's hard for them to reach places which are on the "outside" of the "internal" systems (where blood reaches). That's why antibiotics are almost totally ineffective for treating sinus infections for example.

I don't know about other antibiotics, but metro also gets secreted in saliva, so it's effectively reaching the areas where the odour originates from (your mouth) - except for this area which you've found with the flossing - the underlying cause (?)
Stinkynick
Junior

Post by Stinkynick »

A better explanation of what I was trying to say, although I've thought other teeth were the underlying cause in the past, I won't know until its fixed. It's getting fixed this Wednesday so ill keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. And of course keep you all posted
Stinkynick
Junior

Post by Stinkynick »

UPDATE

I tested negative for h.pylori, metronidazole stopped working(going to finish the course anyway), smell is back.

I am at a loss here. Having the final tooth fixed in two days and after that I have no idea. All this smell can't be coming from one tooth, can it? My dentist ensured me that I don't have gum disease, I'm beginning to think otherwise. Is there a difference between gum disease and periodontal disease?

I have not eat red meat, but picked up dairy a couple days ago and I can confirm 100% that dairy has a negative effect. I'm going to invest in some lactaid and avoid dairy at all costs.

I'm beginning to feel that this may never end. I've got a big month coming up at my job and people are beginning to pick up on my inconsistencies depending on how bad my breath is. It's such a depressing feeling when someone reacts negatively or gives you a nasty look. Last night I dreamt of a cure, a pill you take and you're fixed. Even in my dream the magic pill didn't work for me
Stinkynick
Junior

Post by Stinkynick »

UPDATE

so today I broke down to my dentist and begged him to help fix me lol. We did the root canal and he told me that i need two fillings, one on each side of my upper molars. He also said my top wisdom teeth need to come out. Not having dental insurance I was reluctant but he offered to pull them for me and set up a payment plan. He told me that after this work is done my bb should be gone(fingers crossed).

As for the stomach issues the nexium and goldenseal seem to have settled my stomach and my stools are solid again. No more heartburn, etc so I think I can rule out the stomach as a source
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Good luck and please keep the updates coming.
Stinkynick
Junior

Post by Stinkynick »

UPDATE

Got some money saved up and tomorrow I'm going to an oral surgeon for panoramic X-ray to see about my wisdom teeth. I'm also having roots of a tooth that had fallen out pulled. The tooth was rotten and fell out of my head, leaving the gums to grow over the root. I've also noticed the top two wisdoms came in sideways and are impacted, and my bottom right is fully erupted with a cyst around it. This tooth always has a coating of plaque around it, and I'm pretty sure it's infected. I've done some research on pericoronotis and found out that the infected area itself does not always smell, but leaves a breeding ground for bacteria to live. I'm not going to get too worked up about this but I hope this can be my cure, ill be sure to post tomorrow and keep in touch
Stinkynick
Junior

Post by Stinkynick »

Had the upper right wisdom pulled this morning as well as the roots from the last dead tooth in my mouth. Was all done under local anesthetic and I still have gauze in my mouth. When the bleeding goes down ill know if there's any improvement , but like I said I'm not all that hopeful, it seems it would be too easy.

I go back next week to talk about the remaining wisdoms. I will insist he pulls the rest if I see no improvement. Don't really have much to lose, right?
who farted?
Junior

Post by who farted? »

Stinkynick
Did you like me have bad oral hygiene in your younger years
Stinkynick
Junior

Post by Stinkynick »

UPDATE

@whofarted- yes, from ages 18 to 22 I really did not take care of my mouth. Barely went to the dentist, only for emergencies, never flossed, etc. I think this is where my bb started

So I had to upper right wisdom and the roots of a canine on the same side pulled two days ago. I am still on antibiotics to prevent further infection and don't want to get my hopes up, but I've seen HUGE improvement. I waited until today to post because I saw my regular dentist today for a routine checkup, (yea I spend a lot of time at the dentist) and when I'm in the chair I can usually smell my owns breath, especially when my dentist is breathing or talking in my direction. Nothing. I couldn't smell a thing. Spent the day out in public with my girl yesterday and we went into tightly packed stores and restraints and I was testing people's reactions and I can honestly say that I didn't get one definite reaction. I spent the night with some friends and the same thing. Now let me make this clear. There was SOME nose rubbing, but it wasn't really the usual, and nobody backed away or ignored me which leads me to believe that it can't be that bad.

As I said I am not getting my hopes up, and still don't think this will be my "cure" but so far it has brought my bb down to a very manageable level where I can comfortably go about my day. We will see when the antibiotics wear off but for now I'm enjoying it.

One more thing that I would like to add which is very important to me is that I can usually smell a bitter, leathery, sometimes fecal smell when nose breathing. Since the extractions I have only detected this smell once, and it quickly went away. This leads me to believe I may have found the cause of my nasal odor, which has proven at times stronger than what comes from my mouth. My tongue usually has a yellowish thick coating on it. For the past two days it has been pink, except for the day of the extraction I had a brown spot from the heavy bleeding. But my tongue is always white or yellow, NEVER pink, another good sign

Ill continue to post as the extraction sites heal and the antibiotics where off. I hope I'm onto something here and maybe this will help someone else
FedUp
God

Post by FedUp »

I hope this is the end of your nightmare, pleased for you so far.
Tonsillectomy - Check
Sinus CT Scan - All Clear - Check
Dentist Examination - "Gums very good" - Check
Endoscopy - Check - H Pylori Negative
Post nasal space cyst removed - Check
Wisdom Teeth Extraction - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
Stinkynick
Junior

Post by Stinkynick »

UPDATE

Yesterday was a good day.

Today however not great. While my bb is certainly about 75% better I can sense it starting to come back a little, I can smell it, not sure of others can but I definitely smell it at times. Tongue still pink, mouth is moist and doesn't feel dry, but I just have a bad feeling that its creeping up on me.

I will continue to act as if I do not have it and let you know the results.

On a side note, even if this isn't my cure, amoxicillin helps, at least this time. And in the past I've had practically zero success with antibiotics. What could this mean? Surely it narrows down the number of places it could be coming from?
sadmum
Advanced

Post by sadmum »

Stinkynick wrote:UPDATE
On a side note, even if this isn't my cure, amoxicillin helps, at least this time. And in the past I've had practically zero success with antibiotics. What could this mean? Surely it narrows down the number of places it could be coming from?
Did you only have Amoxicillin or were you given another antibiotic to take with it? I was given Keflex and Flagyl (Metronidazole) when I had my WT's extractions, and got an amazing improvement, probably about 95% but then as usually happens, my bb returned once the course of antibiotics was over. In saying that I remember when I had my tonsils removed in my teens, I was given Amoxicillin (not sure if I had another antibiotic to take with it) but it definitely worked, as for 2 whole weeks I experienced 100% relief, there was no trace of bb at all, but then it returned with vengeance!! So maybe amoxicillin does work on some people even if it's only temporarily! And does that mean the cause of bb is oral?

Sickandtired
Junior

Post by Sickandtired »

Amoxicillin/clavulanic acid did wonders for me too. Bb got better 95% and it even removed my tongue coating, while taking it my tongue was completely pink (that didnt happened with metro or with clarithromycin)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic