Your Email Address:

First Name:

Antimicrobial benefit of low-pH

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
searching
Master
Antimicrobial benefit of low-pH

Post by searching »

The following steps provide me with excellent results, simplified my daily routine, and has maintained fresh breath.

Each morning I:
• thoroughly chew one (1) generic, non-buffered, i.e. low-pH (key essential), aspirin tablet that I distribute throughout my mouth covering teeth, tongue, and gums.
• while retaining this material in my mouth I brush teeth, tongue, and gums for 1 to 2 minutes with a manual, water-dampened toothbrush.
• I wait 0 to 15 minutes, depending on my schedule, then brush teeth, tongue, and gums for 1 to 2 minutes with ordinary toothpaste, higher pH
• rinse with water

Each night I:
• brush for 1 to 2 minutes with ordinary toothpaste
• rinse with water
• floss

I use no mouthwash nor oral antimicrobial materials other than those listed above.

I’ve reported the effectiveness, for me, of tooth brushing with alum. Alum, as an aqueous solution, is low pH, i.e. acidic, and; an effective antimicrobial, used for centuries as a deodorant. It seemingly stripped all biofilm and plaque from my mouth; however, it is harsh and I feared the effect on tooth enamel.

In my search for an alum substitute, i.e. effective, low-pH (sufficient acidity) user-friendly, inexpensive, readily available, and portable I experimented with non-buffered aspirin tablets as a preceding step to using ordinary toothpaste. Note: diluted vinegar, lemon juice, citric acid, etc. may work as well.

Commercial toothpastes are somewhat basic, i.e. higher pH. These are formulated to neutralize oral acids in regions where tooth decay may be initiating or ongoing. These basic formulations may be producing good dentation; however, they may also be enabling the establishment and survival of BB producing ecology. The pH swing low/high, of my routine, may be putting these colonies at a disadvantage.

The daily exposure, albeit brief, of a brushed-in (not just swished or gargled), low-pH, oral treatment to the teeth, tongue, and gums has disrupted my mouth's ecology; and, provided another step forward toward managing fresh breath.
Last edited by searching on Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

ruch
Sheriff

Post by ruch »

thank you for this tip. i will give it a try. how long have you been using this method?

you always post interesting suggestions, but they change every so often so i am wondering if you have abandoned some of the other things you have done (e.g. bismuth, oral irrigation of all oral crevices, etc.), or do you do them as well?

i have been trying the pepto bismol chewable tablets before i go to bed (after cleaning my mouth) and find that it does help reduce bb much of the time.

i posted in another thread some of the things that have worked for me, so take a look.
ruch
Sheriff

Post by ruch »

also, do you just spit out the aspirin residue? i'd be worried about swallowing it everyday..?
searching
Master
Post by searching »

ruch wrote:how long have you been using this method?
Several weeks with non-buffered aspirin; however, I've used vinegar in the past. The aspirin seems to have an ideal strength, dosage, and speed of action. This method is extremely easy, cheap, effective, and available anywhere.

My breath has never been better and my routine never this simple. I expect during my next professional teeth cleaning my hygienist will finish processing me in record time.
ruch wrote:i am wondering if you have abandoned some of the other things you have done (e.g. bismuth, oral irrigation of all oral crevices, etc.), or do you do them as well?
Yes, I've reduced the frequency of oral irrigation due to the ease and portability of using an aspirin tablet, i.e. travels well, pre-measured dose, taste not-unpleasant. Each time I find a simpler and effective method, I substitute it for the previous one.
ruch wrote:also, do you just spit out the aspirin residue? i'd be worried about swallowing it everyday..?
Yes.
ruch
Sheriff

Re: Antimicrobial benefit of low-pH

Post by ruch »

searching wrote:thoroughly chew one (1) generic, non-buffered, i.e. low-pH (key essential), aspirin tablet that I distribute throughout my mouth covering teeth, tongue, and gums.
since you mention so specifically non-buffered and low pH, does that mean we should find a specific type of aspirin.. or just any aspirin? i have never taken aspirin before so i don't know if it is just one type or more than one...

also how long have you been doing this protocol?

thanks!
billie
Sheriff

Post by billie »

This low ph thing doesn't really make sense to me. I'm having success with making the ph of my body/mouth higher. I'm not taking Epsom salt anymore but I now use ted's alkalizing formula. It works only if you cut out all bad foods, wich I have almost done. I only need to cut out meat. I had great success with Epsom salt, but the Epsom salt alone is not enough. Meat needs to go and I need to do ted's alkalizing formula 3 times a day. My hairy tongue still has not come back. I've also been taking niacin (having a really bad flush right now).
searching
Master
Re: Antimicrobial benefit of low-pH

Post by searching »

ruch wrote:since you mention so specifically non-buffered and low pH, does that mean we should find a specific type of aspirin.. or just any aspirin?

also how long have you been doing this protocol?
I use the least-expensive, generic, aspirin, sold in my local market. One tablet contains 325 milligrams of aspirin.

I've been using the routine for several weeks.
billie wrote:This low ph thing doesn't really make sense to me. I'm having success with making the ph of my body/mouth higher.
I'm glad to hear you are having success with your method.

One example of low pH, combating infection, is a vinegar douche to rid the subject of yeast overgrowth.

In my case, the benefit of low-pH is a temporary, yet dramatic shift in the chemical environment when brushing with an acidic component. It chemically shocks the established microorganisms that are responsible for the BB and strips away the biofilm/plaque that have anchored them to my teeth, tongue, and gums. So the starting, oral population are now lower in number, and thus the BB slower to return, after I brush with this method.

The pH swing low/high, of my routine, may be putting these colonies at a disadvantage by killing them, dislodging/dissolving the offensive source with an acid wash, and rinsing them away.

The theory may be incorrect; however, an effective result is what we seek - and this method is providing an effective result. This is a simple, inexpensive experiment to try. An advantage we all have is that we can run tests to determine what does, and does not, work for each unique case.
sadmum
Advanced

Post by sadmum »

searching....Thanks for the post, it's very informative. Besides doing the high/low PH routine have you altered your diet in any way, i.e cut down on meats, carbs, sugars?! On a scale of 10 how much would you say your bb improved by? (10 being the worst, 0 = diminished)

Thanks
searching
Master
Post by searching »

sadmum wrote:Besides doing the high/low PH routine have you altered your diet in any way, i.e cut down on meats, carbs, sugars?
sadmum,

No, my diet is not very limited. I eat all food types, heavily seasoned or plain, meat/fowl/fish/egg protein, vegetables, simple and complex carbohydrates. I do, however, limit the amount of carbohydrate.
sadmum wrote:On a scale of 10 how much would you say your bb improved by? (10 being the worst, 0 = diminished)
I estimate my breath now ranges from 0 to 2, i.e. okay in social situations. If I stop my routine it will return to a 6 to 10 level using your numerical scale.

There is absolutely, positively an improvement.
Stankie

Post by Stankie »

Last edited by Stankie on Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
searching
Master
Post by searching »

Stankie wrote:The EM I use was at 3.0 or below. I know that this acid can dissolve biofilms. Not sure about aspirin.

Be careful, because this caused some pitting in my teeth.
Yes, as always good judgment, moderation, and care must be taken.

Unofficial reports of Coca-Cola™ pH measure it at about 3 as it contains a mix of, for example, phosphoric, ascorbic, citric, and/or carbonic acid(s). Orange and lemon juice are low pH as well. Apples pH 3.0 to 3.3 often referred to as nature's toothbrush.

This dental hygiene method is not a recommendation to maintain prolonged exposure to low pH. It is to share an observation of the efficacy of once-daily, brief exposure to low pH, followed by rinsing. Salivation will quickly reestablish a normal, oral pH.
searching
Master
Post by searching »

Intriguing videos.

What we each accomplish, when brushing for 2 minutes, may differ dramatically.

Formation of dental plaque, seen here.

Plaque biofilm formation, full surface coverage in 8 hours, seen here.
ttlxman

Post by ttlxman »

Tried your method this morning. My mouth definitely felt fresher afterwards than I've known for some time but it only lasted 35-45 minutes before I could taste something foul again. My PND is probably a bit too much for this alone to handle I think.

I'll be continuing this for a few weeks and hopefully it'll start lasting longer.

Thanks for sharing. These little tips have been saving my life from completely falling apart while I continue searching for the root cause.
ruch
Sheriff

Post by ruch »

this has helped me too.. not fully (as i think i have more than just type 1 - possibly coming from GERD or something like that), but quite substantially. the only thing is i find it hard to brush for 2 minutes and go far back down my tongue because the taste makes me gag, combined with reaching to the back of the tongue. do you have any suggestions?
searching
Master
Post by searching »

ttlxman & ruch,

I’m pleased to see that someone has tried this method and posted feedback. It will be useful to learn if the benefit to you increases, with continued use, as your oral environment changes.

My teeth feel and taste extremely clean. I used to have an eventual return of biofilm that I could feel and taste (tangy) on teeth, with my tongue. That has ceased.
ruch wrote:i find it hard to brush for 2 minutes and go far back down my tongue because the taste makes me gag, combined with reaching to the back of the tongue. do you have any suggestions?
ruch, as you’ve asked for suggestions I’ve listed several:
• For tongue brushing, I’ve cut the bristles to half the original length on an old toothbrush. This provides a stiff, mildly abrasive tool that’s very effective on my tongue. I use it gently. It’s essentially free as the toothbrush was next headed for the trash.
• I can best cope with the gagging reflex by postponing my tongue brushing until the last step, i.e. I first brush teeth and gums. If I brush in a way that starts me gagging, I’ve at least cleaned all other surfaces well.
• Have you stopped using all other antimicrobial agents, other than ordinary toothpaste and non-buffered aspirin, to enable other microbial colonies to survive? Beneficial microorganisms may flourish.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic