Your Email Address:

First Name:

Antimicrobial benefit of low-pH

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
ttlxman

Post by ttlxman »

It is in fact still improving in effectiveness with each use. It was day 3 this morning and I noticed it lasted slightly longer and the terrible taste in my mouth is not as strong even after just waking when it'd normally be worse than it was.

Nothing to get too excited about so far but if this trend continues then it may become a powerful way for me to manage my symptoms.

billie
Sheriff

Post by billie »

Could it be that our saliva ph is too alkaline? Is that maybe the reason why this works for you? @ Searching
billie
Sheriff

Post by billie »

Just found this:

Sluggish saliva gives bacteria a chance to feed on peptides and proteins. One thing that can help prevent bad breath is acidic saliva, because the bacteria responsible for bad breath prefer alkaline saliva. So, while eating sweets is bad for your teeth, it might be good for bad breath because glucose makes saliva acidic.
SHITBREATH
Advanced

Post by SHITBREATH »

It is easy to find out,buy ph strips.
billie
Sheriff

Post by billie »

and this"

Although baking soda does kill some oral bacteria and inactivates acids, acids are not the problem in the depths of a periodontal pocket nor at the deeper layers of the bacterial plaque on the back of the tongue.. In the pocket and at the deeper layers of the bacteria at the back of the tongue where bad breath comes from, the pH is alkaline, not acidic. Neutralizing the acid on the surface of the bacterial plaque of the back of the tongue with baking soda serves to make the plaque more alkaline. The baking soda does not reach the deeper layers of that plaque on the back of the tongue to do any killing. The mild bacterial killing of baking soda in the gum tissue can be useful, but baking soda is not something I recommend. It pushes the mouth into an alkaline pH, which is the opposite direction one wants to put the pH to prevent halitosis or gum diseases, which thrive in this basic and putrefactive environment. The mouth must have a neutral or slightly acidic pH to prevent bad breath. Too acidic pH in the saliva might indicate too much plaque again and a tendency toward tooth decay. The pH of the mouth is a complex and dynamic process and has no relation at all to the pH of the blood.

Yes going to buy ph strips tomorrow.
SHITBREATH
Advanced

Post by SHITBREATH »

billie wrote:Could it be that our saliva ph is too alkaline? Is that maybe the reason why this works for you? @ Searching
if your saliva has a pH above 7 then something is wrong,it should be between 6 and 7.
SHITBREATH
Advanced

Post by SHITBREATH »

The last thing you wrote about ph in the mouth and blood is true.Good Billie :)
billie
Sheriff

Post by billie »

SHITBREATH wrote:The last thing you wrote about ph in the mouth and blood is true.Good Billie :)
I find this whole ph thing very confusing. Maybey Searching is on to something. I think we all need to go get ph strips. They're not that expensive. Most people think their saliva is acidic, but may that is totally not he case.
billie
Sheriff

Post by billie »

Found this also:
Transcript of pH of Saliva as Indicator of Health

By John Foner pH of Saliva as Indicator of Health The purpose of this experiment is to determine the pH of saliva of human and animal subjects to see if it correlates to hunger or disease.
This experiment answers the question if there is a link between saliva pH and overall health and hunger.
The results of this experiment will help doctors determine whether saliva pH can help diagnose sickness and whether saliva ph changes with hunger. Purpose It is believed that if the saliva pH is above 7.4 or below 6.5, then the subject is either hungry or is sick.
The normal mouth pH is 7.4. Low pH can indicate cancer and high pH can indicate the presence of mouth bacteria.
Hunger can increase the mouth pH above 7. Hypothesis “Dry Mouth - Causes, Effects, Symptoms, Treatment.” HealthHype.com. web. 25 Oct. 2012.
Glands in mouth secrete saliva which helps digest food.
Amount of saliva varies during the day and pH is affected by the amount. Background Research Durham, Timothy M., Timothy Malloy, and Eric D. Hodges. “Halitosis: Knowing When ‘Bad Breath’ Signals Systemic Disease.” Geriatrics 48 (1993): 55-59.OmniFile Full Text Mega (H.W. Wilson). Web. 25 Oct. 2012.
Bad breath can indicate disease.
The disease can either be oral or from the body. Background Research “Saliva pH Test.” Alkalizeforhealth.com. Web. 25 Oct. 2012.
A healthy mouth pH is 7.4.
Some cancer patients have acidic pH of 4.5.
“If you are a sick or diseased person then if you want to have an increase in pH then alkaline food will help increase saliva. Background Research "Something To Sink Your Teeth Into: Sugarless Gum." Harvard Health Letter 32.12 (2007): 7. OmniFile Full Text Mega (H.W. Wilson). Web. 25 Oct. 2012.
Halitosis is a common issue and can indicate serious illness.
Bad breath is affected by saliva and alkaline pH. Saliva that is stagnant becomes alkaline and develops odor. Background Research "Statement on Oral Fluid Diagnostics." American Dental Association. The American Dental Association. 2008. Web. 18 Sept 2012
Saliva’s job is to neutralize acids.
To get the mouth to water and increase pH, chew sugarless gum. Background Research Manipulated or Independent Variable is the time of day the saliva.
Dependent Variable is the pH of the mouth.
Constant Variable is the time of eating and the type of food, mouth washing and brushing. Experimental Design Materials are pH indicator paper with color guide on the bottle.
Small needle-less syringe.
Two Clean spoons. Materials Wash hands.
Beginning at 7:00 am on test day, have human subject spit saliva into clean spoon.
Immediately, dip pH test strip into saliva and within 5 seconds compare test strip to pH color guide on bottle. Discard pH strip and wash spoon.
Record pH.
Wash hands. Draw saliva using needle-less syringe on canine subject.
Dispense saliva into clean spoon. Immediately, dip pH test strip into saliva and within 5 seconds compare test strip to pH color guide on bottle. Discard pH strip, wash spoon and syringe.
Record pH.
Repeat prior 7 steps every two hours beginning at 7:00 am until 7:00 pm on both subjects.
Record pH into tables. Use a highlighter to color the boxes for pH drawn after a meal. Procedure Data Analysis The pH of the human subject increased as hunger increased.
The pH of the canine subject was constant whether she ate or not.
The pH of the human subject was below the normal range in the morning and went up and down during the day.
The values do provide information on hunger and sickness and the effect on mouth saliva. Results The pH of the human subject increased as hunger increased.
The pH of the human subject was below the normal range in the morning and went up and down during the day.
The values do provide information on hunger and sickness and the effect on mouth saliva. Results The pH of the human subject increased as hunger increased.
The values do provide information on hunger and sickness and the effect on mouth saliva. Results The pH scale on the human subject was high when hungry and low when sick. PH for the human fluctuated through the day.
The dog’s pH stayed the same whether or not she was hungry.
The results supported the hypothesis for the human but not for the canine.
The results for the human matched the background research but the results for the canine did not.
The human’s low pH was due to being sick. Hunger made the pH rise during the day.
The dog’s pH may indicate that she was never hungry and that she was eating through out the day.
Controlling the dog eating through out the day could improve the experiment. Having a healthy human subject could also improve it.
The sinus infection on mouth saliva could be researched more. Conclusions
“Dry Mouth - Causes, Effects, Symptoms, Treatment.” HealthHype.com. web. 25 Oct. 2012.
Durham, Timothy M., Timothy Malloy, and Eric D. Hodges. “Halitosis: Knowing When ‘Bad Breath’ Signals Systemic Disease.” Geriatrics 48 (1993): 55-59.OmniFile Full Text Mega (H.W. Wilson). Web. 25 Oct. 2012.
“Saliva pH Test.” Alkalizeforhealth.com. Web. 25 Oct. 2012.
"Something To Sink Your Teeth Into: Sugarless Gum." Harvard Health Letter 32.12 (2007): 7. OmniFile Full Text Mega (H.W. Wilson). Web. 25 Oct. 2012.
"Statement on Oral Fluid Diagnostics." American Dental Association. The American Dental Association. 2008. Web. 18 Sept 2012. Bibliography
billie
Sheriff

Post by billie »

Maybe high saliva ph explains why I have no cavities in 30 years , but do have tongue coating.also I found an old post of mine that kind of makes sense to me now. I was sucking on these lemon lozenges for a couple of days and noticed less tongue coating.

My old post
Just like meowkity1 I have always had hairy tongue and especially if my diet is bad. Right now i'm totally confused because my diet has been pretty bad for like 2 weeks now, but my tongue has become less hairy. I'm not even taking GSE everyday anymore or DIM supplement (I ran out). The only thing that i have been doing different lately is sucking on lemon ricola lozenges everyday. I do have all other symptoms because of bad diet like bloating and gas but not more tongue coating
billie
Sheriff

Post by billie »

So I've been reading more old posts of mine and I found things I tried that I totally forgot. Below are 2 of my old posts and they make sense now.

I ate tomatosoup and ate raw veggies with it (broccoli) and a kale salad with apple, tomato, cucumber,mushrooms and bean sprouts and other sprouts. I was totally amazed the next day.
My tongue had a pink spot on it and the day after the pink spot got bigger and after that the hairyness on my tongue got shorther and shorter.
My feces where green everyday and did not smell also my BB got less.
Tomatos are acidic in the mouth and I would make tomatosoup everyday. Maybe that why the hairy tongue was dissapearing. I read everywhere that tomatos give people bad breath, but not me. fresh tomatoes fall into the 4.3-4.9 range when it comes to acidity. And for canned tomatoes and tomato paste, the pH range is 3.5-4.7. For tomato juice, the range is 4.1-4.6.

I started to drink lemon and bakingsoda in 1/2 glass water. I was also taking vit B complex and vit C.
The firts thing i noticed was my tongue looking more pinkish in the morning and clean. I did this for maybe a week and then a started to add a calcium, magnesium and zinc supplement. My tongue got white again and very smelly. I didn't know why it all came back again i just couldn't figure it out. Now just a couple of minutes ago i was reading all the post on earthclinic again and and read something about candida feeding on calicium. This must be the reason why my tongue got white again.
I've been taking calcium powder and again I don''t feel good taking it. I only feel good with magnesium, zinc and potassium.

@ Searching, I think your right for some of us !!!
searching
Master
Post by searching »

billie wrote:Could it be that our saliva ph is too alkaline? Is that maybe the reason why this works for you?
Yes, perhaps. Another possibility is that brushing with the non-buffered aspirin eliminates the instant restart that the BB microorganisms had when they were glued to my teeth and buried in my tongue, by uprooting them. I think that a different, non-offensive consortium of microbes now dominate.

If this result can be maintained with this routine, I will not need further improvement.

The extra step involves brushing with aspirin 2 minutes per day, at a cost of 6 cents (U.S. currency) per day, $22./year = 16.4€/year.
billie
Sheriff

Post by billie »

Searching, have you measured your saliva ph?
ruch
Sheriff

Post by ruch »

searching: it would be interesting to see if taking oral probiotics (like BLIS K12) would be helpful now. what do you think?

i do still use antimicrobial rinses after brushing with the aspirin. right now, i use either chlorhexidine or chlorine dioxide. i find i need it to stay fresh, along with the aspirin.
searching
Master
Post by searching »

billie wrote:have you measured your saliva ph?
The pH strips indicate 6 to 7. Note: I had not made a pH measurement prior to daily brushing with non-buffered aspirin.
ruch wrote:it would be interesting to see if taking oral probiotics (like BLIS K12) would be helpful now. i do still use antimicrobial rinses after brushing with the aspirin. right now, i use either chlorhexidine or chlorine dioxide. i find i need it to stay fresh, along with the aspirin.
It's difficult for me to say. I don't have much experience with these products, so an opinion may be misleading.

It seems everyone's mouths will have nutrients available for microorganisms. Each antimicrobial agent will destroy some species and may favor others. I'm taking a minimalist approach. Thorough cleaning with non-buffered aspirin, followed by survival of the fittest.

This method continues to work extremely well for me. No stained teeth nor lingering chemical taste, which are deposits as well, and minimal biofilm, i.e. a decreased population available to putrefy. Morning breath has also decreased.

By employing this singular change the cause-and-effect relationship has become clearer.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic