Your Email Address:

First Name:

Fructose Malabsorption

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
TIRED
Advanced

Fructose Malabsorption

Post by TIRED »

I think that this might be my problem. I have always had a problem with sugar, especially fake sugars. Diet sodas make me nauseous. I am bloated and gassy all the time. I am lactose intolerant and stay away from dairy, but I am still gassy. My gas is explosive when I finally can get it out. I am on a gluten free diet now, and eating low sulfur foods, but I think I will try low fructose diet. This website below has some good info on it. I got the guide sent to my email. I know it may be a scam, but I am desperate.

http://scdlifestyle.com/2010/09/why-fru ... to-bea-it/

TIRED
Advanced

Post by TIRED »

TIRED
Advanced

Post by TIRED »

Magnesium deficiency linked to fructose malabsorption

http://crazyj208.blogspot.com/2012/09/f ... eview.html
TIRED
Advanced

Post by TIRED »

Dr just found that I have a kidney stone…

I think I may have found my problem!

I think I will go on a low fructose diet, take magnesium, and glucosamine and see what happens…I can tell if it is working if the bloating goes away.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1799551
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

I made a thread about this subject a few weeks ago.
viewtopic.php?t=5709

I'm interested in this because I can relate to most of the symptoms and have always wondered why fruit makes me feel worse instead of better.
Do you easily become hypoglycemic?
TIRED
Advanced

Post by TIRED »

Hali - YES! In fact last year I went to the Dr. because I was getting extremely tired after meals, especially high sugar meals, and he did a sugar test and it was super low. I had a CT scan of my liver and pancreas. I had a cyst in my liver that they weren't concerned about and my bile duct was enlarged which they weren't too concerned about, but I still need to have an ultra sound on it to look into it more. That is also when they saw the kidney stone.

Next, he sent me to an endocrinologist. She tested my thyroid and my T# and T4 were normal, but there were antibodies in the blood. So, she put me on Synthroid and I felt better for a while, but the drug isn't working as well now and it gives me awful side effects, like hair loss and racing thoughts. I tried to get off of it, but I was so acidic and tired and I was getting anxiety as well, so I went back on it.

Six months ago I had breast cancer. If I do have fructose malabsorption, it could have had a lot to do with this. I am 42 now and have had bb since I was 18. It all started when I was in college and I was stressed a lot, drinking a lot, started birth control pills, and was on antibiotics often for ear infections. This is when I became lactose intolerant. I think all along I was fructose intolerant as well.

It's funny - I went to a popular psychic a few years back and she said that I had a problem with sugar, and that I needed to be careful because I could get cancer. I lowered my sugar for a few months and I felt great and lost weight, but then the holidays came and I fell off the wagon. It was hard because sugar is in everything. Now, after looking at the low fructose diet, I see that it isn't impossible. I can still have white rice and potatoes. Most fruits I stay away from because they bother me too, especially apples and grape which are high in fructose. Really the hardest part will be giving up gum and mints. To think if this has been my problem all along, I was only making it worse with gum and mints. ](*,) I can have Tic Tacs at least.

I am going to try my best to stick to the diet. I am hoping that the glucosamine and the transdermal magnesium will help as well. I am also going be more aware of my bowel movements and if I do not have a bowel movement in a couple days I will take a laxative. A couple tablespoons of Milk of Magnesia always does the trick.

I will keep you posted! Do you want to try it with me???
Last edited by TIRED on Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TIRED
Advanced

Post by TIRED »

Hali - I just read your post…I too have pnd. It did decrease when I went on that low sugar diet. I have always struggled with constipation as well.

Did you find where to buy the Xylose Isomerase?
I was thinking of getting glucose sugar cubes as well since glucose helps fructose pass through the intestines.
I bought Smarties since they have dextrose, but I got a bad headache after eating one pack. It feels like an estrogen headache so I don't know if it's from the Smarties or not.

Maybe my long periods and my period headaches will subside, since the intestines will let the estrogen pass. My breast cancer was estrogen positive (driven by estrogen) as well.

It all make sense - now I just have to stick to the diet.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Hi, I've just got home and I want to read what you've said very carefully and have a good think (I'm almost dropping from tiredness and can't think :| ). I'll reply when I wake up.

I will quickly mention a few things though. I haven't tried the Xylose Isomerase. The reason is I'm current;y trying some experiments with Chlorhedidine and didn't want anything else to interfere with this. But I'll definitely try it soon. We can do it together for sure.

Another member sent me a private message to tell me they are currently investigating fructose malabsorption and will let us know when they have the results. Hopefully this person will join in this discussion when they see it.

The biggest thing for me still is PND and I'm really pleased to see that you managed to reduce your PND!

We should ask Dr. Aydinmur what he thinks and knows about this.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Tired, I don't really have much to add yet. I'm going to research this subject further and hopefully a few more people will give their thoughts too and whether they also can relate to the symptoms. I'm going to ask Dr. Aydinmur about it and hope he replies.

I'm nowhere near as tuned into my body as most people are on this forum. I've hardly tried anything regarding diets and medications. My main issue of PND still remains though, and I really would like to try to find out why. I think PND can be a sole cause of BB for certain people (unaffected people may have better natural immunity to BB, like the people who go around with rotten teeth and never have BB for example, and these people are then also unaffected by PND, whereas for people like us we soon end up stinking!)

As I've said a few times in the past, I've actually done experiments on myself with my PND mucus mixed with oral bacteria and the stench produced is the exact same stench of my particular brand of bad breath odour which I'm susceptible to. I don't know whether this has any relevance or not, but it just seems too much of a coincidence to be the EXACT same odour, and for my PND mucus and it's breakdown by my oral bacteria not to be directly related to the BB I've suffered with and continue to be susceptible to. (in other words it all makes it more likely that the odour must get produced in my mouth and throat rather than elsewhere in my body)

Maybe by having chronic PND, it changes the profile of our oral bacteria and that's how we end up with BB and why transient episodes of PND (such as transient allergic reactions and colds etc) don't immediately lead to BB, but it will once the PND has become chronic.

Did your PND start at the time your BB started by any chance?
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

(I'm just re-pasting from the other thread so we can stick to this one)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose_malabsorption

It doesn't mention BB as a symptom, although it is apparently, but if it can lead to the formation of mucosal biofilm in the intestine and many of the common symtoms which BB sufferers describe, then there could be a connection?

I know I have an inherent BB susceptibility, which at the moment I have fully under control. I have PND and it's probably only for that reason. But there could be some underlying thing like this going on inside me without even knowing it.

I'm always bloated and gassy. Sometimes my gut feels like it wants to explode. Eating quickly brings on symptoms or worsens what I'm already feeling. I always put it down to not chewing properly and rushing to eat, but improving this makes no difference. I often go from diarrhoea to constipation - I'm never constant.

I try to eat lots of fruit and wonder why it doesn't help this aspect of my digestive health. In fact, sometimes I inadvertently go without fruit for a few days and I feel a lot better - why would that improve things?

I'm also very susceptible to becoming hypoglycemic.

There's connections between fructose malabsorption and with SIBO and lactose intolerance too.

I'm trying other things at the moment, but I'm eventually going to try reducing my intake of free fructose/fructans and see what happens. Will try taking Xylose Isomerase enzyme too, which it says usually helps. I'd love it if it somehow manages to reduce my PND.
TIRED
Advanced

Post by TIRED »

Hali - thanks for the reply. So I thought I would start taking Magnesium Oxide supplements until I get the transdermal magnesium spray that I ordered through Amazon. I took it twice (one pill a day) and I have been experiencing itchy scalp and back and slight stomach cramping. I don't think that my body is able to process the magnesium oxide properly or I have an allergy to it. I stopped taking it because the symptoms of magnesium overdose are scary and I don't want to destroy my kidneys. This was discouraging. I'm not sure if I should even try the mag. spray now. I hope that the Glucosamine works. I know I won't have a reaction to that because I take it with Condroiton and MSM sometimes. Interesting enough though, I once tried L Glutamine powder and it gave me vaginal itch (sorry). It's like my body is fighting the help. You figure if this has been my problem for 25 years the bacteria is going to put up a good fight.

I have also often wondered if the it's the pnd causing the bb. You read about the VCS' causing really bb. I think I am going to order another sinus irrigator. I had one in the past and it broke. I bought a netti pot after, but it's so messy I stopped using it. If you get an irrigator make sure you get a guarantee. For those who have never seen one here is a link…

http://www.goodmans.net/i/3462/sinupuls ... system.htm
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Thanks for your replies too. I remember being given milk of magnesia as a child. I never knew what it was for though.

I have to do some research into most of the things you've mentioned. Let's continue adding our thoughts in here as we have them.

I've never tried nasal irrigation. I've never had nasal odour though, and my PND never smells bad, so I've never felt I had any need or believed it could help deal with non-infection related PND. But maybe I should try. Thanks for the info.
HS

Post by HS »

halitosisux wrote:(I'm just re-pasting from the other thread so we can stick to this one)

I try to eat lots of fruit and wonder why it doesn't help this aspect of my digestive health. In fact, sometimes I inadvertently go without fruit for a few days and I feel a lot better - why would that improve things?

I'm also very susceptible to becoming hypoglycemic.

There's connections between fructose malabsorption and with SIBO and lactose intolerance too.

I'm trying other things at the moment, but I'm eventually going to try reducing my intake of free fructose/fructans and see what happens. Will try taking Xylose Isomerase enzyme too, which it says usually helps. I'd love it if it somehow manages to reduce my PND.
Hi, just letting you know you should be avoiding all fruits if you're fructose malabsorbant as your body can't process complex sugars.

I myself found out I was fructose malabsorbant few months ago after testing for SIBO by hydrogen breath testing (as mentioned by Diandra few months ago, labled a spammer now?)

while I didn't have Sibo, I was confirmed to be lactose intolerant (so far all blood tests came up negative, why I even bothered with bloodtests all these years..) and fructose malabsorbant. ps Thanks Diandra, would have never found out of these problems without your recommendation of hydrogen breath testing.

With your PND, I doubt that's your cause of halitosis (as that's what I thought my issue was, but nasal irrigation did nothing to improve my halitosis), I myself find my halitosis 'better' when I'm careful with what I eat, ie not eating anything with much fructose/fructans, but it's still there.

For now, I can significantly reduce it for good few hours by taking few pills of activated charcoal before meals (this significantly reduces gas as it absorbs it), and oil pulling with coconut oil once in morning and at night, as well as chewing gum whenever I can to keep my mouth moist.
As well as the usual routine of tongue brushing etc

have you found yourself completely rid your halitosis while on antibiotics? (I did while on the triple therapy for hyplori), I think there is something to this, if I had halitosis coming from elsewhere (such as nasal, or from mouth) then it wouldn't have worked, but while I was on the pills it completely dissapeared, meaning something wrong with the gut, just don't know exactly what that is. Unfortunately halitosis came back immediately after the pills. I'm thinking of getting a metamatrix stool testing to find exactly what's going on, I'm sure there are a lot more parasites and other bacterias that we aren't aware of.

more I find out, the more it's difficult to find answers because I've been to many different hospitals with top notch equipment but found nothing wrong. They can't even explain what causes the white build up on the tongue (though tbh there are many normal people with no halitosis + white tongue) Really hoping Metamatrix testing can solve this.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

HS Thanks for your information.
Very interesting that your blood tests were unable to confirm anything which the hydrogen breath test WAS able to confirm. We should have information like this in the main LOGO of this website!

Do you have Type-1 BB?

In the past, whilst taking Metronidazole, my BB has completely disappeared.
I believe metronidazole is so effective on BB originating from the oral cavity and throat, not just because of the types of bacteria it is effective on, but also because it gets constantly secreted in our saliva. Other (potentially effective on BB bacteria) antibiotics perhaps don't get secreted in saliva?
TIRED
Advanced

Post by TIRED »

Okay, so I have been staying away from Fructose for the last week and today my son brought home some yummy cookies and I just had to have one. Then, my craving for sugar kicked in and I had a spoonful of ice cream and a couple sips of soda. Now I have a bad headache. I was going to blow it in a few days on Thanksgiving, so I figured I'd give it a test run today.

I'm taking the Jarrow Glucosamine HCI and the Jarrow N Acetyl Glucosamine. I have no side effects from the first one, but the NAG makes me a bit gassy.

Later tonight I will start using the transdermal magnesium.

I'm meeting my new doctor on Dec. 3rd and I hope he will have me do a fructose test.

Thanks HS for joining in…please tell me…do you get headaches when you have fructose now?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic