Your Email Address:

First Name:

Something positive to share

Tell us your story with bad breath

Did my story help you think more positively?

Yes
29%
No
71%

Total votes: 7

fornarina
Total Newbie

Something positive to share

Post by fornarina »

I want to share my story with you guys. It's somewhat positive I think....

Growing up, occassionally family or friends will tell me i have bb. It usually went away after brushing my teeth or chewing gum. But about 2 years ago, my bb became constant. My sister always told me I have bb even right after brushing my teeth. That's when I became very self concious about my bb problem.

I used to be very outgoing and friendly. But after feeling self consious about my bb all the time, I became shy and quiet. I don't like to talk to people anymore. I don't even like going out much.

I met a guy from match.com around the same time. After exchanging e-mails and talking on the phone for couple weeks, he asked me if I would like to go out on a date. I was so torn at that time. I really like him, and I think he's also interested in me from our phone conversation. But I was so afriad that he won't like me anymore after we meet in person because of my bb. So I actually cancelled our date twice. But when he asked for the third time, I decided what the hell.. I'll just give it a try. There's no use talking on the phone forever. If he decides he doesn't like me because of my bb, oh well.

We met in person. First I was very intimidated and didn't talk much. But I didn't notice any reaction from the few words that I said. As time went by, I became more comfortable with him and started talking more and more. Still no reaction. At the time, I almost thought maybe I don't have bb at all. The best part is, after that date, he keeps on asking me out.

Then about 6 months later, one night after dinner, while we were talking, he said in a joking way, "yewww... you're stinky." So I ran to the bathroom to brush my teeth. Afterward, I ask him if I still have bb. He answered, "yes... why are you always stinky?"

We had a honest talk right there. He told me I always had bb since the day we met. But at first he just thought it was the food we ate made my breath stinky. But he saw how I always brush my teeth after meals and I still have bb. He then realizes it's not hygiene problem.. it's more like a medical problem. He told me that he likes me for my personality and who I am. He doesn't particularly like my bb, but he has accepted it because it's also part of me.

And recently, I've decided I don't want to hide in my shell anymore. I got in touch with old friends that I tried to distance myself with before because of bb. I know it's a little embrassing to bring up the bb problem. But I've found out that by talking openly about my problem with my friends, they usually just accept me the way it is. After hearing about my bb problem, they usually said, "oh poor you... but it's ok. We still love you." Sometimes I'll just make a joke myself when I see my friends, such as "I hope I'm not too stinky today...haha" That actually makes things easier for everyone then we can talk honestly.

I think I am a very lucky person to meet such a wonderful guy, have a supporting family and good friends. They all have overlooked this "little" problem I have and see me for who I really am. I want to share my story with all of you because I truely believe there is a wonderful person out there for everyone. Yes, bb is a problem, but there are a lot more people with a lot more serious problem. We should not be ashame for this problem. We really should try to think more positively. And I know one day we'll find a cure. But for now, we should live our life to the fullest! ^^

noptical
God

Post by noptical »

I don't feel comfortable making fun of my own bb, its like saying "haha my cancer will kill me in 2 months lol ".
sun
Junior

Post by sun »

no i cant take any postive from this. even if i become open about this 2 my family and friends..and even if they accept that this is part of him and theres nuthin he can do abt it...i DONT WANT TO LIVE MY LIFE THIS WAY..
this is just how i feel
hopeful
Master

Post by hopeful »

I found your story to be uplifting. BB sucks and we are all dealing with it in one way or another. Of course none of us want it. At the same time, if you keep focusing on the negatives, you're just going to end up depressed(I've felt that way many times when I think about things like never finding a cure). You are very lucky to have people who will not turn away from you and that support you. Never take it for granted and be grateful because many people out there just don't have the understanding of this problem to be compassionate.
findacure
Master

Post by findacure »

I liked your story and it has given me hope of actually finding a new B/F. I find it very difficult to get close to guys, fear of embarrassment and rejection i supose. I had a guy which i feel accepted it, he wanted to kiss me all of the time, and i thought to myself why would he? I think he new i had a problem and it was nothing to do with my personal hygiene, i felt so sorry for him sometimes...
petunia656
Total Newbie

Two of a kind

Post by petunia656 »

I have been single for the last 20 years - tho I was married to an alcoholic for 17years - he put up with my bb and I put up with his daily drinking as long as I could - anyway, I've wondered if our community of bb sufferers couldn't do a match dot com thing...at least you would know exactly what to expect - who else would be so empathatic as someone who has the same problem ?
mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

well i'm glad you could still find someone who cared

but personally i really just don't want anything to do with bb.. it's a permanent handicap worse than an injury or missing limb.. most people don't find those things repulsive.. however, bad breath is simply disgusting.. i know that I can't focus on conversation when I'm around someone else with bb.. i just keep thinking about the smell.. the damn smell.. i can't stand the idea of that same problem happening in my mouth..

i'd die before giving in to such a gross and uncompromising problem
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic