Your Email Address:

First Name:

FOR EVERYONE CONSIDERING SURGERY PLEASE READ

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
jane
FOR EVERYONE CONSIDERING SURGERY PLEASE READ

Post by jane »

I am a long time sufferer, and a member of this site for almost 10 years (i think). My halitosis flare ups were intermittent, so I had at least some hope of a normal life when it wasn't very pungent. My problems have always been the tonsils (adenoids and palatine).

Like someone else wrote, the adenoids do in fact produce their own tonsil stones. I have seen them- they are very small yellow balls and they smell like regular tonsil stones. After i got a very bad flu and a residual upper respiratory infection that doctors didnt want to give me antibiotics for, i developed severe sinus issues. A CT scan and brain MRI later, a deviated septum showed up. Slightly deviated to the right but it caused a lot of issues. After seeing yet another incompetent ENT doctor (who would giggle whenever i told him my symptoms), I decided to stick with him and be aggressive about how my sinus and tonsil issues were affecting my quality of life. I had this one sheet of paper that had all of my symptoms on it and other pertinent info like hospitalizations, etc. By the third visit, it was clear to him that I was just going to keep seeing him with that same paper.

NOW. He eventually suggested a septoplasty (to fix deviated septum), adenoidectomy, and a TURBINATE REDUCTION. I had this procedure 4 days ago. All of it sounded good. I thought that these procedures could only help me.

It was not until after the surgery that I looked into what a turbinate reduction was about. I knew what the procedure did, but I did not know the risks or if i was in fact a good candidate for that type of surgery. It turns out that this is an "add- on" surgery that ENT's perform for money. Please take heed... most ENT's botch this surgery, and it leaves their patient's with severe breathing issues. Most people who undergo this surgery end up getting Empty Nose Syndrome. From what i read, this completely ruins lives. And very few people have successfully sued an ENT because of it. It's a nightmarish situation. http://www.emptynosesyndrome.org/what-is-ens/

I AM PRAYING TO GOD THAT I DO NOT DEVELOP THIS. My ENT doctor NEVER discussed anything in detail with me, let alone the risks for getting a turbinate reduction. Most of the time, fixing the deviated septum is enough. To be safe, don't get this procedure. Empty Nose Syndrome sufferers have the highest s*****e rate.

Please educate yourselves on turbinate reductions, and it's consequences. I have stints in my nose right now, and I don't see much tissue up there. I am terrified.

Turbinate reductions will not cure halitosis. Getting rid of tonsil tissue that collect infected mucus can. A smell coming from the adenoids may mistakenly be coming from the nose.

NC29

Post by NC29 »

Just out of interest did your adenoidectomy resolve your symptoms?
Harry_2K
Junior

Post by Harry_2K »

Please do not go for turbinate reduction and adenoid removal. No cure for BB really. Also, empty nose syndrome is causing more issues. Ear gets easily infected and post nasal drip is even more, throat get very dry and is causing severe issues. Please do not go for it. mucous accumulates and after every 4/5 days, thick solid mucous smelling cheese, gets out of the nose.
FuckHalitosis

Post by FuckHalitosis »

I am fortunate. I had a turbinate reduction but did not experience ENS. I did have one of my turbinates get infected during the healing process so that was a pain. The procedure did make it easier for me to breathe through my nose. There are some minor differences in my nasal function but nothing that major. I was unaware of the risks because if I did know there was even a chance of this syndrome I probably would not have gotten this procedure done. I will say before when doing strenuous exercise I had to breath through my mouth but now I can breath very deeply through my nose. Immediately after the surgery (adenoidectomy, tonsillectomy and turbinate reduction) i did have dry nose and throat and had to sleep with a humidifier but no longer.
ThinkPositive
Junior

Post by ThinkPositive »

Luckily my turbinate reduction surgery went well. The ENT also fixed my deviated septum and my breathing improved but the PND continues
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic