Your Email Address:

First Name:

Tonsil and Adenoid Surgery

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Life_Goes_On
Advanced
Re: Update #1 (A)

Post by Life_Goes_On »

messithegoat wrote: This is extremely well thought out and planned. Good luck! Hope this is your cure.
Thank you, I appreciate the acknowledgement. And if this is my cure then great. And even if this isn't my cure I hope other people can learn from me to help themselves find their cure.

impactdial

Re: Tonsil and Adenoid Surgery

Post by impactdial »

Life_Goes_On wrote:
Life_Goes_On wrote: Thanks for the reply and yep, that is frustrating, usually it doesn't need to be more than a few lines, but alot of people just vanish, like they understand what it feel like to go through this issue yet when they find a solution (thats not farfetched) they disappear lol.

I meant to ask you mentioned how bb spoiled your relationship with your gf, so you had an honest person in her to give feedback, how bad would your breath be, and did it vary between days, did in engulf you? Was she even comfortable discussing it?

Thanks very much for your continued comments and updates.
My ex gf never directly gave me feedback on my bad breath but she would give me signs. To be honest I'd rather not talk about her but what I can tell you is I met a girl right after my ex. This girl never directly told me either that my breath was bad but she would also give me signs. One example is we went to a party store once and they had some weird chap stick that could also improve bad breath and she recommended I should try it. Also, she never once kissed me and in the beginning I thought she didn't want to kiss me because she loved her bf but now I'm pretty sure she didn't want to kiss me because of my bad breath, based on the simple fact that she was okay with cheating on her bf with me on multiple occasions.

As far as the severity of my breath, no one has been honest enough to tell me how bad my breath was. And for a long time I did not realize how bad my breath was. But I knew my bad breath was gradually increasing year by year based on others people's reactions, the bad taste in my mouth, and me being able to smell my own bad breath. Up until I got my wisdom teeth removed I could often smell my bad breath myself. One wisdom tooth was severely decayed and was pulled out by the dentist, the other three were impacted and had to be surgically removed. Then after I got all my wisdom teeth removed I could no longer smell my bad breath myself and I thought I was cured but then I soon realized I was not cured because other people could still smell my bad breath.
Thanks very much and sorry to ask about your ex, but thanks for telling me about what happened with the other girl.

Also I hope the recovery continues smoothly! I had one wisdom tooth pulled (and likely the others soon), not too painful but I felt like s**t for a few days, ice cream and netflix helped me through it though!
Life_Goes_On
Advanced

Post by Life_Goes_On »

ttylxman2 wrote:So yeah, the pain on day 1 is nothing. Even day 2 is OK but then it gets worse. Day 5 to about day 8 was hell, definitely the worst of it.

Get tons of popsicles, rice pudding, non-dairy protein shakes, ice cream, etc. That stuff kept me sane. Also STAY HYDRATED. Drink water even if you don't want to. There's nothing more painful than when your healing throat is dry and cracked. Use a humidifier while you sleep if you have one.. worth buying if you don't. Keep it cleaned well because there's more chance of infection when your throat is an open wound.

Good luck man! It's not a fun time, probably one of the most painful surgeries you can get, but even if it doesn't cure your breath, you'll be glad to have done it. Not having tonsil stones and not having to worry about cryptic tonsils harboring any smells or bacteria was worth it in itself. Only negative I've noticed is that I've had to re-learn how to use the back part of my mouth without snorting or making weird sounds. Adenoids being gone probably changed the air flow to the nose. Not a big deal and you'll adapt very quickly, so no worries if it happens to you. It'll pass and you'll forget about it.
Without going into too much detail in what I'm experiencing until my next update, I just wanted to say thank you for your advice and I'll definitely be taking it all in.
Life_Goes_On
Advanced

Post by Life_Goes_On »

impactdial wrote: Thanks very much and sorry to ask about your ex, but thanks for telling me about what happened with the other girl.

Also I hope the recovery continues smoothly! I had one wisdom tooth pulled (and likely the others soon), not too painful but I felt like s**t for a few days, ice cream and netflix helped me through it though!
I definitely recommend you get your wisdom teeth removed. Also, make sure you use a water syringe and spray the wisdom tooth extraction sites with luke warm water mixed with salt every so often when you do your dental hygiene. I do this because sometimes its hard to brush the wisdom tooth extraction sites because of their location in my mouth are hard to reach. And if you avoid cleaning them they can smell if food gets stuck there.

I would recommend you go to your neighborhood Walgreens pharmacy center and ask for a water syringe and they'll give you one of theirs for free, if you don't already have one.
impactdial

Post by impactdial »

Life_Goes_On wrote:
impactdial wrote: Thanks very much and sorry to ask about your ex, but thanks for telling me about what happened with the other girl.

I definitely recommend you get your wisdom teeth removed. Also, make sure you use a water syringe and spray the wisdom tooth extraction sites with luke warm water mixed with salt every so often when you do your dental hygiene. I do this because sometimes its hard to brush the wisdom tooth extraction sites because of their location in my mouth are hard to reach. And if you avoid cleaning them they can smell if food gets stuck there.

I would recommend you go to your neighborhood Walgreens pharmacy center and ask for a water syringe and they'll give you one of theirs for free, if you don't already have one.
Thanks! Yea I think that's my next move, I already went to the dentist feigning severe pain so that I could get the ball rolling, so Ive already been referred to have them looked at. Its the uk nhs so it'll take ages, but I want the other three temoved. One is fully erupted and straight, another is erupted but at a bad angle, and the last one is only partially erupted. Hopefully they don't try and palm it off, and I'll stress how removing my first wisdom tooth really improved the pain (which it did) and how bad my quality of life is now etc etc.

Ive also booked to see my gp and hopefully I can get a referral to an ENT. I have actually been having a chronic sore throat, and recently Ive felt like a lump is in my throat, and to top it off Ive been getting random black spots on my tongue and mouth, which is a cancer symptom! That should be enough to get a referral and hopefully the spots are nothing serious, and I can get my throat looked at.

Im realising more and more that complaining about odor, is not the way to get seen, and like you said knowing the symptoms to suspected causes and saying you're experiencing them seems to be the best way to get something done.
Life_Goes_On
Advanced

Post by Life_Goes_On »

impactdial wrote: Thanks! Yea I think that's my next move, I already went to the dentist feigning severe pain so that I could get the ball rolling, so Ive already been referred to have them looked at. Its the uk nhs so it'll take ages, but I want the other three temoved. One is fully erupted and straight, another is erupted but at a bad angle, and the last one is only partially erupted. Hopefully they don't try and palm it off, and I'll stress how removing my first wisdom tooth really improved the pain (which it did) and how bad my quality of life is now etc etc.

Ive also booked to see my gp and hopefully I can get a referral to an ENT. I have actually been having a chronic sore throat, and recently Ive felt like a lump is in my throat, and to top it off Ive been getting random black spots on my tongue and mouth, which is a cancer symptom! That should be enough to get a referral and hopefully the spots are nothing serious, and I can get my throat looked at.

Im realising more and more that complaining about odor, is not the way to get seen, and like you said knowing the symptoms to suspected causes and saying you're experiencing them seems to be the best way to get something done.
You're definitely headed in the right direction my friend.

To help you with your ENT doctor visit I recommend you tell your doctor that you get more than six sore throats a year. The ENT doctor then might ask you have you seen an allergist and what was the results. For my visit, I told the ENT doctor, "Yes, I've seen an allergist and I passed the blood test that was given to me." My ENT doctor then asked me, "Have you ever brought your throat problem up to another ENT doctor?" and I replied, "Yes, my last ENT doctor prescribed me with a liquid bottle medication called Lidocaine Hydrochloride Oral Topical Solution, USP (VISCOUS) 2% - 100 mL." I then stated to my current ENT doctor, that I use this medication every time I get a throat infection and what it does is after I swallow it, it numbs my tonsils and therefore mask the pain during the throat infection period. However, I then stressed to my current ENT doctor that the liquid medication works great in masking my throat infection pain, but it still doesn't stop the throat infections from reoccurring over six times a year. Lastly, my ENT doctor asked me, "How long does the throat infections last?" I replied, "Sometimes the infection can last a couple days and sometimes it can last a couple of weeks, it all depends."
After hearing all of this my ENT doctor went straight into recommending I should do a tonsillectomy.

At this point I also told my ENT doctor that my adenoids may be a problem too. My ENT doctor said that he doubts my adenoids were a problem for me. So he used a scope and put it through my nose and said he didn't see anything wrong with my adenoids and that they were too small to worry about. Then I quickly said, "The last time I been to an ENT doctor, that ENT doctor recommended me to remove my adenoids which could potentially help reduce my bad breath." My current ENT doctor then said that he can't just remove the adenoids because its impossible to do so, but what he can do is shave them down to pretty much nothing via adenoidectomy. Afterwards, he agreed to do both a tonsillectomy and a adenoidectomy for me at the same time and I was very happy because he was an in-network doctor.

I've heard a lot of horror stories on this website about out-of-network doctors and private doctors, not doing their jobs right the first time, being very costly to the patient and lying about the results of their procedures. I'll never recommend anyone to go to an out-of-network doctor or a private doctor, especially for surgery! There is a reason why your health plan specifically chose a select few of doctors to be within in your network. But hey that's just my opinion.
Life_Goes_On
Advanced
Update #2

Post by Life_Goes_On »

Post-Surgery Pain (Days 1-7)
--------------------------------------
As I mentioned before, after I woke up from surgery my throat pain was at a 6.5/10. A week has now gone by and since then the pain has gotten worse day by day. Now on day 7 the pain in my throat before I take any pain medication is at a 9/10 but after I take my pain medication the pain drops down to a 3/10 on any day. The first day of my surgery I was playing it safe eating yogurt, ice cream and lots of honey. The problem with that is I am a pretty big guy being 6’ 2” tall, weighing over 225 Ibs. I can’t stay sane eating all those soft foods, I need solid foods. So, the day after my surgery, after I took my pain medication, I was able to eat a whole box of pizza and it didn’t hurt as much doing so. So, ever since that day I been eating whatever I want after I take my pain medication. So far I’ve eaten chips, cereal, pizza, chicken, pasta, sandwiches, candy, etc. It really doesn’t matter what I eat when my pain medication is in effect. Also, the trick to having an easy post-surgery is knowing when the pain medication is wearing out because then you must quickly retake your pain medicine so it can subdue the pain before it reaches its peak. The only flaw to that trick is that you can’t use it when you’re sleep, so almost every night when I am sleep and the pain medication wears out I instantly wake up in severe pain. However, 15-30 minutes after I take my pain medication, the pain is subdued again and I can continue with my sleep. Overall, after I’ve mastered how to manage the pain, my post-surgery journey has been a breeze for me. (Knock on wood)

Post-Surgery Negatives (Days 1-7)
----------------------------------------------
Besides the throat pain increasing day by day, the location where my tonsils use to be looks horrible. The location site is covered in light green gooey looking stuff. After talking to my surgeon it’s safe to say that that green stuff is normal, which are my scabs. Also, another negative for me is on somedays I get constipated because of the pain medication I take. However, I know as soon I stop taking the pain medication my constipation will be gone. I know this because the same thing happened to me when I got my wisdom teeth surgically removed. Overall, with me eating whatever I want, to the lack of exercise I get on daily basis, in addition to the constipation I get sometimes has probably caused me to gain 5-10 Ibs so far during my post-surgery journey.

Post-Surgery Positives (Days 1-7)
---------------------------------------------
The bad taste in my mouth before surgery is still gone or has been reduced to an undetectable level even after the excess of saliva I was getting has stopped. I no longer have white tongue and my tongue is just as pink and moist as the average person even after eating all kinds of different foods. And I’ve only been doing my dental hygiene when I wake up and when I go to sleep and my tongue is still pink throughout the entire day, which is impressive. Before surgery when I did my dental hygiene four to five times daily, my tongue would still be completely white. I also can no longer feel my PND in the back of my throat like I did after I had surgery, but honestly I was never 100% sure that feeling I was getting was because of my PND. Lastly, I still believe getting rid of my infected tonsils has cured my illness as I mentioned in my first update (1B) and because of that I think my body system is very happy. However, with it only being a week after my surgery it is still early and I know that anything can change for the better or for worse.

Closing
-----------
Feel free to ask any questions or offer any advice on my post-surgery journey. However, do not ask me about the status of my breath because it is way too early to develop an analysis on it and I haven’t got the chance to see how other people would react to me talking to them yet. So, with all that being said my next update, Update #3 should be next Tuesday on November 15th.
impactdial

Post by impactdial »

Life_Goes_On wrote:
impactdial wrote: Thanks! Yea I think that's my next move, I already went to the dentist feigning severe pain so that I could get the ball rolling, so Ive already been referred to have them looked at. Its the uk nhs so it'll take ages, but I want the other three temoved. One is fully erupted and straight, another is erupted but at a bad angle, and the last one is only partially erupted. Hopefully they don't try and palm it off, and I'll stress how removing my first wisdom tooth really improved the pain (which it did) and how bad my quality of life is now etc etc.

You're definitely headed in the right direction my friend.

To help you with your ENT doctor visit I recommend you tell your doctor that you get more than six sore throats a year. The ENT doctor then might ask you have you seen an allergist and what was the results. For my visit, I told the ENT doctor, "Yes, I've seen an allergist and I passed the blood test that was given to me." My ENT doctor then asked me, "Have you ever brought your throat problem up to another ENT doctor?" and I replied, "Yes, my last ENT doctor prescribed me with a liquid bottle medication called Lidocaine Hydrochloride Oral Topical Solution, USP (VISCOUS) 2% - 100 mL." I then stated to my current ENT doctor, that I use this medication every time I get a throat infection and what it does is after I swallow it, it numbs my tonsils and therefore mask the pain during the throat infection period. However, I then stressed to my current ENT doctor that the liquid medication works great in masking my throat infection pain, but it still doesn't stop the throat infections from reoccurring over six times a year. Lastly, my ENT doctor asked me, "How long does the throat infections last?" I replied, "Sometimes the infection can last a couple days and sometimes it can last a couple of weeks, it all depends."
After hearing all of this my ENT doctor went straight into recommending I should do a tonsillectomy.

At this point I also told my ENT doctor that my adenoids may be a problem too. My ENT doctor said that he doubts my adenoids were a problem for me. So he used a scope and put it through my nose and said he didn't see anything wrong with my adenoids and that they were too small to worry about. Then I quickly said, "The last time I been to an ENT doctor, that ENT doctor recommended me to remove my adenoids which could potentially help reduce my bad breath." My current ENT doctor then said that he can't just remove the adenoids because its impossible to do so, but what he can do is shave them down to pretty much nothing via adenoidectomy. Afterwards, he agreed to do both a tonsillectomy and a adenoidectomy for me at the same time and I was very happy because he was an in-network doctor.

I've heard a lot of horror stories on this website about out-of-network doctors and private doctors, not doing their jobs right the first time, being very costly to the patient and lying about the results of their procedures. I'll never recommend anyone to go to an out-of-network doctor or a private doctor, especially for surgery! There is a reason why your health plan specifically chose a select few of doctors to be within in your network. But hey that's just my opinion.
Thanks man!

Yes I will definitely follow your advice as best I can. Unfortunately here in the UK the initial appointment is through the GP (unless I went private but considering free healthcare and lack of finance the nhs is my only real option), so it means Im going to have to sell the story about throat infections to him, before he refers me. And as everything is on record I suppose his first question will be why I didn't come in more. I plan to cover that by mentioning that I dealt with it once and followed the same procedure ever since lol.

So if Im successful the next step is convincing the ENT doctor. For that I was planning to say I was seen privately and repeat what you have said. Hopefully that atleast lines me up for a tonsillectomy, though Id probably want the adenoids done at the same time.

Ideally I can get my wisdom teeth taken out before going through with this, as obviously Id rather not remove them (especially as it doesn't always pan out well) if the wisdoms are are the route cause. I should've just gotten all my wisdom teeth done at once when the first one was popped out, so atleast I ruled them out as a cause but you live and learn.

Thanks for the update btw. Sorry to hear about the increased pain, but its good the medication is helping significantly and that you can eat solid aswell.

Im not surprised the tonsil area looks messed up, after googling tonsil removal the pictures aren't pretty, but Id take that a million times over bad breath for sure lol. I forgot to ask, but did you ever get tonsil stones? You probably mentioned it, and I probably missed it!

Everything is sounding pretty positive so far! I hope it keeps up, how long will you be on the anti pain meds and antibiotics?

Anyway good luck on your journey and I will be reading intently, thanks again for the advice.
Life_Goes_On
Advanced

Post by Life_Goes_On »

impactdial wrote: Thanks man!

Yes I will definitely follow your advice as best I can. Unfortunately here in the UK the initial appointment is through the GP (unless I went private but considering free healthcare and lack of finance the nhs is my only real option), so it means Im going to have to sell the story about throat infections to him, before he refers me. And as everything is on record I suppose his first question will be why I didn't come in more. I plan to cover that by mentioning that I dealt with it once and followed the same procedure ever since lol.

So if Im successful the next step is convincing the ENT doctor. For that I was planning to say I was seen privately and repeat what you have said. Hopefully that atleast lines me up for a tonsillectomy, though Id probably want the adenoids done at the same time.

Ideally I can get my wisdom teeth taken out before going through with this, as obviously Id rather not remove them (especially as it doesn't always pan out well) if the wisdoms are are the route cause. I should've just gotten all my wisdom teeth done at once when the first one was popped out, so atleast I ruled them out as a cause but you live and learn.

Thanks for the update btw. Sorry to hear about the increased pain, but its good the medication is helping significantly and that you can eat solid aswell.

Im not surprised the tonsil area looks messed up, after googling tonsil removal the pictures aren't pretty, but Id take that a million times over bad breath for sure lol. I forgot to ask, but did you ever get tonsil stones? You probably mentioned it, and I probably missed it!

Everything is sounding pretty positive so far! I hope it keeps up, how long will you be on the anti pain meds and antibiotics?

Anyway good luck on your journey and I will be reading intently, thanks again for the advice.

For my post-surgery I'm taking liquid Amoxicillin 250MG/5ML SUSP - 150 mL, I believe is an antibiotic/pain medication, which required me to stop using it after one week. The other pain medication which I don't believe is an antibiotic that I am taking is the liquid Hydrocod/Acetaminophen 7.5-325 - 15 mL, which I believe is ok to take until my throat pain goes away or until the bottle is empty. Hopefully, my tongue can continue to stay fresh and pink as I have stop using the antibiotic. I'm also taking over the counter medication in Advil's Ibuprofen Liqui-Gel Capsules - 200mg, which was approved by my surgeon.

As far as your wisdom teeth, if there is no cavities, no tooth decay in them, and they're not impacted, nor do they smell then I would not worry too much about them at this point. The reason why I knew I had to remove my wisdom teeth is because one was decayed and smelled so bad that if I touched it or any part of my gums around that tooth it smelt bad, even the saliva in that area smelled horrible. Also, that decayed wisdom tooth was an abscessed tooth, meaning it was infected which caused a great deal of throbbing pain to my jaw for long period of time. The other three wisdom teeth had to be surgically removed because they were growing in my mouth the wrong way and they were impacted, which eventually caused me a severe aching pain in my jaw but for a short period of time. After my wisdom tooth surgery, the pain after the anesthesia wore off was no joke but it only lasted a couple of days. I think I went back to work a couple of days after the surgical extractions.

To answer your question if I get tonsil stones, I've never had tonsil stones to my knowledge. I also never had any white spots or anything irregular on my tonsils when I had them. The funny thing is, besides having enlarged tonsils, my tonsils looked pretty normal. The reason why I believed my tonsils were a serious problem was because in addition to the many throat infections I was getting on a yearly basis, whenever I touched my tonsils with my finger they smelled awful and quite similar to how my decayed wisdom tooth smelled. Therefore, I concluded that there had to have been an infection in my tonsils. And I use to clean my tonsils every time I did my dental hygiene, with a syringe filled with luke warm water, salt and a small portion of chloride but just like my decayed wisdom tooth, my tonsils would always have that awful smell to them. I even sprayed the syringe into the holes on my tonsils and nothing ever came out of them. However, after my tonsil and adenoid surgery I didn't get a chance to ask my surgeon if he seen anything irregular in my throat during the operation because after I woke up from surgery, he was already performing on another patient.

Never the less I want to wish you the best of luck in your attempt at trying to get your GP and ENT doctor to help grant you with the opportunity of surgery. And if and when they agree to do a tonsillectomy for you, I recommend you do whatever you can to convince them to do an adenoidectomy at the same time because I hear it is hard trying to convince ENT doctors these days to do just an adenoidectomy by itself, however most ENT doctors would be willing to do an adenoidectomy if they're already doing a tonsillectomy, that is why it is important that you must try and get both done at the same time if and while you can. If you have any questions for me along the way let me know and I'll do my best to try to help you without a doubt. Also, thank you for being continuously supportive of me throughout my post-surgery journey, I really do appreciate it. Hopefully we both can one day live a normal bad breath free lifestyle.
Norman

Post by Norman »

Hi lifegoeson ,

do you have any updates for us???

I dont have tonsil stones nor yellow spots on it, it also never hurts. is there still any chance that my bad breath is comming frm my tonsills? I also have a coated tongue even if I clean my tongue after 4-5 hours my tongue coating comes back. yellow/whitish
messithegoat

Post by messithegoat »

Ah I forgot to ask about my adenoids to try take them, not even sure I have them but there is definitely something foul within my nasal cavity that does cause Nasal/throat.

Hope your recovery is going well and that this is your cure. I will explore the adenoid route to see if this is my solution.
Life_Goes_On
Advanced

Post by Life_Goes_On »

Norman wrote:Hi lifegoeson ,

do you have any updates for us???

I dont have tonsil stones nor yellow spots on it, it also never hurts. is there still any chance that my bad breath is comming frm my tonsills? I also have a coated tongue even if I clean my tongue after 4-5 hours my tongue coating comes back. yellow/whitish

So far I've posted Update #1A, Update #1B and also Update #2. I'm not sure if you're aware that there are multiple pages to this post but if you look through this post thoroughly you'll see all my updates are titled and put in bold to help you find them.

Also, your tonsil's may be causing your bad breath but there is no definite answer to that. I recommend you rule out your dental condition as far as cavities, tooth decay, irregular wisdom teeth first then do a couple of the most common test that may determine whats causing your bad breath for example; H. Pylori test, Acid Reflex Test, TMAU test, and also try to take prescribed medication for your white tongue. And if you past all of those and still have chronic bad breath then I would definitely look into getting your tonsils removed if you notice anything irregular about them. As I had previously noted my tonsils were enlarged, were often infected and had smelled bad, therefore, I had a good reason to get them removed regardless of if removing them will cure my bad breath or not. Otherwise, if you do not notice anything irregular about your tonsils then I would recommend you not get them removed, however, that's not to say that there isn't anything wrong with them. Talk to your primary care doctor and your ENT doctor and get multiple opinions on your tonsils. Good luck with that my friend and if you have any questions i'm here for you.
Life_Goes_On
Advanced

Post by Life_Goes_On »

messithegoat wrote:Ah I forgot to ask about my adenoids to try take them, not even sure I have them but there is definitely something foul within my nasal cavity that does cause Nasal/throat.

Hope your recovery is going well and that this is your cure. I will explore the adenoid route to see if this is my solution.
I would definitely look into getting an adenoidectomy if I was you, as you have already had the tonsillectomy. And it may or may not be your cure but if you can rule it out that just makes you one step closer to finding your solution and one less problem to worry about.

And thank you for the words of encouragement on my post-surgery journey, I also appreciate your participation throughout my journey too as I have talked to you before on here.
Norman

Post by Norman »

Hi lifegoeson

thanks for you reply. Im sorry I didnt see your updates for some reason.

I just see that you are taking Amoxciline, I dont want to break your heart, but I have taken this anti biotic a few years ago combined with other antibiotics because I had H. Pylori my breath was fresh for two weeks during the course I was so happy , but as soon as I stopped my bad breath came back. after the course I had a breathtest and I had no more H pylori.

after few months I noticed that I still had two amoxcillin pills , I took 1 each day and guess what my bad breath was again gone for two days but after that my bb came back.

only thing from what I get relief so far is hydrogen peroxide, I have fresh breath for 10 hours after gargling with it , which may proof that my problem is in the mouth or throat but then I think maybe the bacteria come from my stomach to my mouth , this bb thing is really a mystery at some point you think its comming from your throat thn for some reason its makes you think its your stomach , .... if It was possible I wld just get stomach translplant and if that didnt work I would go on with changing my organs one by one till my bb goes away for ever!

I want to get tested for , candida, tmau , leaky gut syndrome, and another endoscopy to see how my stomach acid levels are, but the problem here is that no ent wants to help me, they say its impossible for me to have those diseases in such a young age which I personally find really stupid because there are so many childeren with cancer and for them its also too early to have that terrible disease.

anyways wish you all the best my friend , and I hope for you removing your tonsills will result in a bad breath free long life !

ps: Im sorry for my bad breath erhmm I mean bad english
chika
Total Newbie
Re: Update #2

Post by chika »

Life_Goes_On wrote:Post-Surgery Pain (Days 1-7)
--------------------------------------
As I mentioned before, after I woke up from surgery my throat pain was at a 6.5/10. A week has now gone by and since then the pain has gotten worse day by day. Now on day 7 the pain in my throat before I take any pain medication is at a 9/10 but after I take my pain medication the pain drops down to a 3/10 on any day. The first day of my surgery I was playing it safe eating yogurt, ice cream and lots of honey. The problem with that is I am a pretty big guy being 6’ 2” tall, weighing over 225 Ibs. I can’t stay sane eating all those soft foods, I need solid foods. So, the day after my surgery, after I took my pain medication, I was able to eat a whole box of pizza and it didn’t hurt as much doing so. So, ever since that day I been eating whatever I want after I take my pain medication. So far I’ve eaten chips, cereal, pizza, chicken, pasta, sandwiches, candy, etc. It really doesn’t matter what I eat when my pain medication is in effect. Also, the trick to having an easy post-surgery is knowing when the pain medication is wearing out because then you must quickly retake your pain medicine so it can subdue the pain before it reaches its peak. The only flaw to that trick is that you can’t use it when you’re sleep, so almost every night when I am sleep and the pain medication wears out I instantly wake up in severe pain. However, 15-30 minutes after I take my pain medication, the pain is subdued again and I can continue with my sleep. Overall, after I’ve mastered how to manage the pain, my post-surgery journey has been a breeze for me. (Knock on wood)

Post-Surgery Negatives (Days 1-7)
----------------------------------------------
Besides the throat pain increasing day by day, the location where my tonsils use to be looks horrible. The location site is covered in light green gooey looking stuff. After talking to my surgeon it’s safe to say that that green stuff is normal, which are my scabs. Also, another negative for me is on somedays I get constipated because of the pain medication I take. However, I know as soon I stop taking the pain medication my constipation will be gone. I know this because the same thing happened to me when I got my wisdom teeth surgically removed. Overall, with me eating whatever I want, to the lack of exercise I get on daily basis, in addition to the constipation I get sometimes has probably caused me to gain 5-10 Ibs so far during my post-surgery journey.

Post-Surgery Positives (Days 1-7)
---------------------------------------------
The bad taste in my mouth before surgery is still gone or has been reduced to an undetectable level even after the excess of saliva I was getting has stopped. I no longer have white tongue and my tongue is just as pink and moist as the average person even after eating all kinds of different foods. And I’ve only been doing my dental hygiene when I wake up and when I go to sleep and my tongue is still pink throughout the entire day, which is impressive. Before surgery when I did my dental hygiene four to five times daily, my tongue would still be completely white. I also can no longer feel my PND in the back of my throat like I did after I had surgery, but honestly I was never 100% sure that feeling I was getting was because of my PND. Lastly, I still believe getting rid of my infected tonsils has cured my illness as I mentioned in my first update (1B) and because of that I think my body system is very happy. However, with it only being a week after my surgery it is still early and I know that anything can change for the better or for worse.

Closing
-----------
Feel free to ask any questions or offer any advice on my post-surgery journey. However, do not ask me about the status of my breath because it is way too early to develop an analysis on it and I haven’t got the chance to see how other people would react to me talking to them yet. So, with all that being said my next update, Update #3 should be next Tuesday on November 15th.
Hi life goes on...looking forward for your cure. I went for tonsillectomy, no luck for me. In a dilemma for adenoidectomy.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic