Your Email Address:

First Name:

Tonsil and Adenoid Surgery

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Attraction
Advanced

Re: Update #2

Post by Attraction »

chika wrote:Hi life goes on...looking forward for your cure. I went for tonsillectomy, no luck for me. In a dilemma for adenoidectomy.
Hi chika,

Did you have tonsil stones, or smelly/infected/enlarged tonsils?

Life_Goes_On
Advanced
Re: Tonsil and Adenoid Surgery

Post by Life_Goes_On »

Norman wrote:Hi lifegoeson

thanks for you reply. Im sorry I didnt see your updates for some reason.

I just see that you are taking Amoxciline, I dont want to break your heart, but I have taken this anti biotic a few years ago combined with other antibiotics because I had H. Pylori my breath was fresh for two weeks during the course I was so happy , but as soon as I stopped my bad breath came back. after the course I had a breathtest and I had no more H pylori.

after few months I noticed that I still had two amoxcillin pills , I took 1 each day and guess what my bad breath was again gone for two days but after that my bb came back.

only thing from what I get relief so far is hydrogen peroxide, I have fresh breath for 10 hours after gargling with it , which may proof that my problem is in the mouth or throat but then I think maybe the bacteria come from my stomach to my mouth , this bb thing is really a mystery at some point you think its comming from your throat thn for some reason its makes you think its your stomach , .... if It was possible I wld just get stomach translplant and if that didnt work I would go on with changing my organs one by one till my bb goes away for ever!

I want to get tested for , candida, tmau , leaky gut syndrome, and another endoscopy to see how my stomach acid levels are, but the problem here is that no ent wants to help me, they say its impossible for me to have those diseases in such a young age which I personally find really stupid because there are so many childeren with cancer and for them its also too early to have that terrible disease.

anyways wish you all the best my friend , and I hope for you removing your tonsills will result in a bad breath free long life !

ps: Im sorry for my bad breath erhmm I mean bad english
You could be right, my tongue could be pink after surgery because of the antibiotics I've been taking. And you could be wrong because our situations are not the same. You must understand that if my surgery is my cure then great, but if my surgery is not my cure then it won't be that big of a deal to me because at least I was able to get rid of my enlarged, infected and smelly tonsils which in a way improved my health. Also, that's one less thing I have to worry about in my pursuit of finding my cure. However, I am hoping that my surgery will at least improve my bad breath slightly because then I can say I'm making progress.

I definitely recommend you do those test you were talking about doing. You should also do an acid reflux test. And I think its great that you found a way to mask your bad breath for 10 hours, therefore you can essentially live somewhat of a normal life. That's also a strong indicator that your bad breath could be coming from in your mouth in my opinion. Did you have a dental x-ray recently? And if so do you have any cavities, tooth decay, irregular wisdom teeth, etc.? Have you had your gums checked by a dentist?

And I thank you for your support my friend, hopefully you can find an ENT doctor that won't discriminate against your young age. Also, thank you for speaking of what you're going through because it may help other people who're surveying what we say.
Last edited by Life_Goes_On on Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life_Goes_On
Advanced
Re: Update #2

Post by Life_Goes_On »

chika wrote: Hi life goes on...looking forward for your cure. I went for tonsillectomy, no luck for me. In a dilemma for adenoidectomy.
Hey, your tonsillectomy may not have been your cure but at least you can say you did it and that just makes you one step closer to finding your cure. And I hope everything works out in your attempt at trying to get an adenoidectomy. Even if getting an adenoidectomy isn't your cure, continue to stay hopeful my friend and thank you for your words of encouragement.
Swimwear
Total Newbie

Post by Swimwear »

So Did the surgery worked for you?
Swimwear
Total Newbie

Post by Swimwear »

I have a question for all those who havnt removed their adenoid. When you gargle can you taste/smell whatever is causimg our bb?
impactdial

Post by impactdial »

Life_Goes_On wrote:
impactdial wrote: Thanks man!

Yes I will definitely follow your advice as best I can. Unfortunately here in the UK the initial appointment is through the GP (unless I went private but considering free healthcare and lack of finance the nhs is my only real option), so it means Im going to have to sell the story about throat infections to him, before he refers me. And as everything is on record I suppose his first question will be why I didn't come in more. I plan to cover that by mentioning that I dealt with it once and followed the same procedure ever since lol.

So if Im successful the next step is convincing the ENT doctor. For that I was planning to say I was seen privately and repeat what you have said. Hopefully that atleast lines me up for a tonsillectomy, though Id probably want the adenoids done at the same time.

Ideally I can get my wisdom teeth taken out before going through with this, as obviously Id rather not remove them (especially as it doesn't always pan out well) if the wisdoms are are the route cause. I should've just gotten all my wisdom teeth done at once when the first one was popped out, so atleast I ruled them out as a cause but you live and learn.

Thanks for the update btw. Sorry to hear about the increased pain, but its good the medication is helping significantly and that you can eat solid aswell.

Im not surprised the tonsil area looks messed up, after googling tonsil removal the pictures aren't pretty, but Id take that a million times over bad breath for sure lol. I forgot to ask, but did you ever get tonsil stones? You probably mentioned it, and I probably missed it!

Everything is sounding pretty positive so far! I hope it keeps up, how long will you be on the anti pain meds and antibiotics?

Anyway good luck on your journey and I will be reading intently, thanks again for the advice.

For my post-surgery I'm taking liquid Amoxicillin 250MG/5ML SUSP - 150 mL, I believe is an antibiotic/pain medication, which required me to stop using it after one week. The other pain medication which I don't believe is an antibiotic that I am taking is the liquid Hydrocod/Acetaminophen 7.5-325 - 15 mL, which I believe is ok to take until my throat pain goes away or until the bottle is empty. Hopefully, my tongue can continue to stay fresh and pink as I have stop using the antibiotic. I'm also taking over the counter medication in Advil's Ibuprofen Liqui-Gel Capsules - 200mg, which was approved by my surgeon.

As far as your wisdom teeth, if there is no cavities, no tooth decay in them, and they're not impacted, nor do they smell then I would not worry too much about them at this point. The reason why I knew I had to remove my wisdom teeth is because one was decayed and smelled so bad that if I touched it or any part of my gums around that tooth it smelt bad, even the saliva in that area smelled horrible. Also, that decayed wisdom tooth was an abscessed tooth, meaning it was infected which caused a great deal of throbbing pain to my jaw for long period of time. The other three wisdom teeth had to be surgically removed because they were growing in my mouth the wrong way and they were impacted, which eventually caused me a severe aching pain in my jaw but for a short period of time. After my wisdom tooth surgery, the pain after the anesthesia wore off was no joke but it only lasted a couple of days. I think I went back to work a couple of days after the surgical extractions.

To answer your question if I get tonsil stones, I've never had tonsil stones to my knowledge. I also never had any white spots or anything irregular on my tonsils when I had them. The funny thing is, besides having enlarged tonsils, my tonsils looked pretty normal. The reason why I believed my tonsils were a serious problem was because in addition to the many throat infections I was getting on a yearly basis, whenever I touched my tonsils with my finger they smelled awful and quite similar to how my decayed wisdom tooth smelled. Therefore, I concluded that there had to have been an infection in my tonsils. And I use to clean my tonsils every time I did my dental hygiene, with a syringe filled with luke warm water, salt and a small portion of chloride but just like my decayed wisdom tooth, my tonsils would always have that awful smell to them. I even sprayed the syringe into the holes on my tonsils and nothing ever came out of them. However, after my tonsil and adenoid surgery I didn't get a chance to ask my surgeon if he seen anything irregular in my throat during the operation because after I woke up from surgery, he was already performing on another patient.

Never the less I want to wish you the best of luck in your attempt at trying to get your GP and ENT doctor to help grant you with the opportunity of surgery. And if and when they agree to do a tonsillectomy for you, I recommend you do whatever you can to convince them to do an adenoidectomy at the same time because I hear it is hard trying to convince ENT doctors these days to do just an adenoidectomy by itself, however most ENT doctors would be willing to do an adenoidectomy if they're already doing a tonsillectomy, that is why it is important that you must try and get both done at the same time if and while you can. If you have any questions for me along the way let me know and I'll do my best to try to help you without a doubt. Also, thank you for being continuously supportive of me throughout my post-surgery journey, I really do appreciate it. Hopefully we both can one day live a normal bad breath free lifestyle.
Thanks for the reply!

And ok, so this week hopefully you get a somewhat better idea, but definitely a month minimum before you can begin to be sure of anything, and I praise your approach lol. Happily though from what you've written things are looking very positive and as you've said, you have ruled out one pain in the a** area regardless of how much your bb is eliminated.

And re your tonsils that's the thing for me, I guess you had a solid reason to remove your tonsils, mine do have an odor, but its probably milder than my tongue, and I don't have enlarged tonsils. It makes me go round in circles because it is possible they are issues, but I have never had stones and do not have tonsilitis or throat infections really, aside from the common cold. That said, I know stones can be hidden too (which just f******ing irritates me lol, alteast if they exist they should be obvious so the tonsils can be more easily identified as a trouble spot).

I suppose I have had ongoing throat problems, and I have a chronic sore throat, but I cannot say for sure whether the tonsils are to blame. Im still going to try for a referral to the ent with the same story, lol, but I will probably push for him/her to take a look down my throat before any surgery. Ofcourse like I mentioned the wisdom teeth are first on the list, so I'll try and get that done first.

Well my wisdom teeth do look ok, but surprisingly there is a smell from one of them when I rub the area, I was shocked as it was the one that is straight and looks erupted.

Thanks again for your advice, I hope I can get my solution and I will try every avenue possible! again, good luck, and I'll be checking in regularly!
messithegoat

Post by messithegoat »

Swimwear wrote:I have a question for all those who havnt removed their adenoid. When you gargle can you taste/smell whatever is causimg our bb?
No. , but when I clear my throat/ drain mucous from the back of my nose the smell sometimes comes.
letsgetcured

Post by letsgetcured »

Hey! We're tonsillectomy/adenoid twins! We had them removed on the same day.

Unfortunately, my bb is still 90% there. HOWEVER, I just happened to be touching my gums (don't ask why) and
the smell of my gums near my top wisdom teeth smelled HORRIBLE. I kinda got excited because I think this could be the answer
I've been looking for for the last 3 years. It just sucks that I went spent two weeks being miserable recovering from my T&A when I could've just spent $300-400 to remove my wisdoms and be done with this curse ](*,) ](*,) . Of course, there is still the thought that removing my wisdoms won't "cure" my bad breath but I'm confident that it will at least (from a 1-10) bring my bad breath from an 8 to at least 3-4...which can be brought down even more with gum and mints.

Although it may sound like common sense, my advice to anybody reading this is to PLEASE rule out the basics first. Rule out gum disease, rotten teeth, and terrible oral hygiene before you spend thousands of dollars on tonsillectomies, endoscopies, and all of these unnecessary tests that usually end up being negative anyway. Start with the most common causes and then slowly move down to the more uncommon causes as they are usually more expensive to fix. Also, never ever give up. A lot of this is all about trial and error. Plus, when it comes to chronic halitosis, it's usually a combination of many different causes/sources...so although fixing one problem may not cure you completely, it may still improve your breath, even if it's just a little. If you're anything like me, every bit counts.

Unless you're one of the lucky ones, this is going to be a long journey. If it were easy, we wouldnt have websites like this. Hang in there! I'll try my best too! I scheduled a consultation this afternoon to have a dentist take a look at my wisdom teeth. I will let you know how it goes
Life_Goes_On
Advanced

Post by Life_Goes_On »

impactdial wrote: Thanks for the reply!

And ok, so this week hopefully you get a somewhat better idea, but definitely a month minimum before you can begin to be sure of anything, and I praise your approach lol. Happily though from what you've written things are looking very positive and as you've said, you have ruled out one pain in the a** area regardless of how much your bb is eliminated.

And re your tonsils that's the thing for me, I guess you had a solid reason to remove your tonsils, mine do have an odor, but its probably milder than my tongue, and I don't have enlarged tonsils. It makes me go round in circles because it is possible they are issues, but I have never had stones and do not have tonsilitis or throat infections really, aside from the common cold. That said, I know stones can be hidden too (which just f******ing irritates me lol, alteast if they exist they should be obvious so the tonsils can be more easily identified as a trouble spot).

I suppose I have had ongoing throat problems, and I have a chronic sore throat, but I cannot say for sure whether the tonsils are to blame. Im still going to try for a referral to the ent with the same story, lol, but I will probably push for him/her to take a look down my throat before any surgery. Ofcourse like I mentioned the wisdom teeth are first on the list, so I'll try and get that done first.

Well my wisdom teeth do look ok, but surprisingly there is a smell from one of them when I rub the area, I was shocked as it was the one that is straight and looks erupted.

Thanks again for your advice, I hope I can get my solution and I will try every avenue possible! again, good luck, and I'll be checking in regularly!
No problem my friend, the only thing I ask is that you continue to check in from time to time and it doesn't have to be regularly. Your story and your journey is important to me and for those who're surveying what you say.
Life_Goes_On
Advanced
Update #3

Post by Life_Goes_On »

Post-Surgery Pain (Days 7-14)
--------------------------------------
As I mentioned in my last update, the pain in my throat was at a 9/10 on day 7, which was also the last day I had to stop taking my prescribed pain medicine/anti-biotic Amoxicillin. When I woke up on day 8 I realized that the pain had decreased to I would say about a 7/10 and from there the pain continued to decrease day by day. Now on day 14 there is no pain in my throat unless I talk for a long period of time. So, at this point, there is no need in taking any more pain medication. Also, throughout week two I noticed my neck started to feel stiff and if I turned it to fast it would hurt or if I bent my neck backwards to gargle during my dental hygiene it would hurt but now on day 14 that pain has also gone away.

Post-Surgery Negatives (Days 7-14)
----------------------------------------------
The location site where my tonsils were located at is still covered in that light green gooey looking stuff, which are my scabs. However, I’m starting to see pink behind it so I assume my scabs have been peeling off. I’m also starting to see that my tongue is no longer a pure pink color and has a little white to it, which could be because I stopped taking the amoxicillin prescription after day 7. With that being said, my tongue is nowhere near as white as it used to be before surgery. In fact, my tongue still looks pink overall and I would think it looks like the average tongue.

Post-Surgery Positives (Days 7-14)
----------------------------------------------
I am proud to say that the bad taste in my mouth is still gone or has still been reduced to an undetectable level. One major positive thing I’ve noticed that I haven’t mentioned before is that I no longer get that white sticky stuff on my lips and on the corners of my mouth because before I had surgery, every day I had to carry around chapstick because of my lips being chapped and that white sticky stuff that would form on my lips randomly throughout the day. I’m not exactly sure what that white sticky stuff was but I know it was created from the saliva in my mouth. However, I still at times get a sticky feeling on my lips but it is not white or visible for that matter. And finally, I will continue to maintain that removing my tonsils and/or adenoids had eliminated that ill feeling I use to get, and it’s hard for me to explain what that means. However, I could be just experiencing the placebo effect lol.

Closing
-----------
Feel free to ask any questions or offer any advice on my post-surgery journey. Please, do not ask me about the status of my breath because it is way too early to develop an analysis on it and I haven’t got the chance to see how other people would react to me talking to them yet. However, tomorrow is my first day going back to school and work, therefore I will be able to collect reactions from other people all thorough out the week. Also, at this point I don’t feel like there’s a need to continue doing updates after next Tuesday, therefore Update #4 will most likely be my last update concerning my post-surgery journey. And if it is my last update I will finally be able to tell you guys if I have been cured or not, or if my bad breath has improved, remained the same or got worse. So, with all that being said my next and possibly last update, Update #4 should be next Tuesday on November 22nd.
Attraction
Advanced

Post by Attraction »

Of course as you say it would be more clear in a couple of weeks. With that said, have you done a finger test to check the back of your tongue?
Life_Goes_On
Advanced

Post by Life_Goes_On »

Attraction wrote:Of course as you say it would be more clear in a couple of weeks. With that said, have you done a finger test to check the back of your tongue?
What did I say would be clear in a few weeks that you're referring to? My tongue, my throat or the status of my breath? Also, I just did the finger test twice to check the back of my tongue after you mentioned it and I didn't smell anything in my saliva or on my finger. The second time I carved my nail into the back of my tongue and the only thing I could see was that my saliva was clear. This is another post-surgery positive for me because I haven't did my dental hygiene since this morning. And before surgery whenever I did the finger test my saliva and finger would both smell bad and I would get white stuff mixed with my saliva on my nail regardless of whenever I did my dental hygiene.
Life_Goes_On
Advanced

Post by Life_Goes_On »

letsgetcured wrote:Hey! We're tonsillectomy/adenoid twins! We had them removed on the same day.

Unfortunately, my bb is still 90% there. HOWEVER, I just happened to be touching my gums (don't ask why) and
the smell of my gums near my top wisdom teeth smelled HORRIBLE. I kinda got excited because I think this could be the answer
I've been looking for for the last 3 years. It just sucks that I went spent two weeks being miserable recovering from my T&A when I could've just spent $300-400 to remove my wisdoms and be done with this curse ](*,) ](*,) . Of course, there is still the thought that removing my wisdoms won't "cure" my bad breath but I'm confident that it will at least (from a 1-10) bring my bad breath from an 8 to at least 3-4...which can be brought down even more with gum and mints.

Although it may sound like common sense, my advice to anybody reading this is to PLEASE rule out the basics first. Rule out gum disease, rotten teeth, and terrible oral hygiene before you spend thousands of dollars on tonsillectomies, endoscopies, and all of these unnecessary tests that usually end up being negative anyway. Start with the most common causes and then slowly move down to the more uncommon causes as they are usually more expensive to fix. Also, never ever give up. A lot of this is all about trial and error. Plus, when it comes to chronic halitosis, it's usually a combination of many different causes/sources...so although fixing one problem may not cure you completely, it may still improve your breath, even if it's just a little. If you're anything like me, every bit counts.

Unless you're one of the lucky ones, this is going to be a long journey. If it were easy, we wouldnt have websites like this. Hang in there! I'll try my best too! I scheduled a consultation this afternoon to have a dentist take a look at my wisdom teeth. I will let you know how it goes
I definitely recommend you get your wisdom teeth removed that is causing you problems. As I have mentioned earlier removing all of my wisdom teeth has eliminated the pain they were causing me and the bad smell in that area of my mouth, which slightly reduced my bad breath. And I'm sorry to hear your tonsillectomy and adenoidnectomy was not your cure, but at least you can say you did it and it has slightly benefited you.

And as I've said before on this post,
"I recommend you rule out your dental condition as far as cavities, tooth decay, irregular wisdom teeth first then do a couple of the most common test that may determine whats causing your bad breath for example; H. Pylori test, Acid Reflex Test, TMAU test, and also try to take prescribed medication for your white tongue. And if you past all of those and still have chronic bad breath then I would definitely look into getting your tonsils removed if you notice anything irregular about them. As I had previously noted my tonsils were enlarged, were often infected and had smelled bad, therefore, I had a good reason to get them removed regardless of if removing them will cure my bad breath or not. Otherwise, if you do not notice anything irregular about your tonsils then I would recommend you not get them removed, however, that's not to say that there isn't anything wrong with them."

Never the less, I wish you nothing but the best my friend. I think its cool that we happen to have our surgeries on the same day lol. And I also look forward to hearing about your journey going forward. Thank you for taking the time to share your post-surgery experience with us and for the advice you offered to those who're looking into getting a tonsillectomy. You never know who or how many people it may benefit.
Attraction
Advanced

Post by Attraction »

Life_Goes_On wrote:
Attraction wrote:Of course as you say it would be more clear in a couple of weeks. With that said, have you done a finger test to check the back of your tongue?
What did I say would be clear in a few weeks that you're referring to? My tongue, my throat or the status of my breath? Also, I just did the finger test twice to check the back of my tongue after you mentioned it and I didn't smell anything in my saliva or on my finger. The second time I carved my nail into the back of my tongue and the only thing I could see was that my saliva was clear. This is another post-surgery positive for me because I haven't did my dental hygiene since this morning. And before surgery whenever I did the finger test my saliva and finger would both smell bad and I would get white stuff mixed with my saliva on my nail regardless of whenever I did my dental hygiene.
Thank you very much for your detailed response.
Life_Goes_On
Advanced

Post by Life_Goes_On »

Attraction wrote:
Thank you very much for your detailed response.
No problem, I hope it helps you in your journey.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic