Your Email Address:

First Name:

Tonsillectomy (wish I had done it earlier)

Tell us your story with bad breath
BB---
Tonsillectomy (wish I had done it earlier)

Post by BB--- »

Hi,

Been following the forum for a while and decided to post my life story, which is btw very similar to 21yearsofsuffering's.

I've had bad breath since I was a eight or nine. I remember my parents always pushing me to brush my teeth, like if that helped.
Key things to know:
- Odor would come from my nose only when swallowing
- Teeth and gums have been mostly ok, due to my tendency to practice a rigorous oral hygiene to try to get rid of bad breath.
- Horrible taste in my mouth at all times.
- My tonsils are cryptic, i.e. they contain some holes. Whenever i stuck my finger in there, it would smell bad.
- BB would be stronger after dairy. I noticed that my finger would smell worse when squeezing my tonsils after having had anything diary.
- My tongue was always white and would smell horribly at the back of my tongue. Even with a tongue scraper, the smell would come back soon after.
- A GP thought it would be down to acid buildup in the stomach. She put me on Omeoprazole to limit the buildup of acid in my stomach but even after a month, nothing changed. She then decided to discontinue the Omeoprazole and try with Ranitidine. Once again, nothing changed.
- During the winter my breath would become MUCH worse. It could be smelt from across the room. When this happened, I noticed having white tonsils stones in my tonsils. Since I started flushing them daily with a waterpik my breath improved.
- Saliva test often returning negative after licking my wrist. However, bad breath was there (the proof were people's comment)
- I tried a broad spectrum of antibiotics to both try to get rid of bad breath or other conditions (e.g. sore throat) but results were inconsistent.
- Brushing and scraping my tongue with hydrogen peroxide and baking soda really helped for a couple of years, but my breath has become much worse lately. Even using the waterpik daily wouldn't fix it.

About a month ago, I decided to go to a private ENT for figuring out what to do. He recommended I'd go for a full tonsillectomy (old school, no laser) and septoplasty. As I used to snore although I'm still in my twenties and I'm physically fit, he recommended me having an UPPP as well.

Two weeks ago I went for surgery. I gotta tell you guys, it's been no joke. Very painful. I finished my course of antibiotics 3 days ago (Ciprofloxacin, which I had already taken with inconsistent results, see above). The first week I had a horrible bb, but this is excepted after tonsillectomy.
Now it seems to be better, I don't have a bad taste in my mouth. However, my nose is still stuffed cause of the septoplasty and I still breath thru my mouth.

Despite the pain, I really wish I had done the operations earlier. Guys, don't sit on your a** as I did. If you have chronic bb it's not gonna improve.

The problem is, I won't be knowing for sure whether the bb has gone or not.
I am positive tonsils played a part in it but what if I have something else like TMAU?
I figure I'd wait for my body to get better and then I'll contact a specialized medical center to do a gas chromatography exam to my breath.

Good luck to all of you.

Batman30
Re: Tonsillectomy (wish I had done it earlier)

Post by Batman30 »

Your symptoms are very similar to mine.. especially it getting worse in the winter.. so strange. Anyway, do you have constant mucus running down your throat?
BB---

Post by BB--- »

Hey batman,

Yes I had.
At some stage in the winter, I would always develop this low-grade strep throat and my breath could be felt 12ft away, no kidding.

Thing is, my tonsils were cryptic and had this little holes in them. Getting hold of a waterpik improved things slightly because I could flush the white tonsil stones and my bb wouldn't be THAT nasty. However, it was still there, at all times.
Anytime I would squeeze my tonsils, some sort of yellowish liquid would come out. I wonder whether this was actually phlegm running down from my nose, i.e. PND?!
Using the waterpik directly in those crypts was very painful, as the tonsils would bleed.
zneb
Junior

Post by zneb »

BB--- wrote:Hi,

Been following the forum for a while and decided to post my life story, which is btw very similar to 21yearsofsuffering's.

I've had bad breath since I was a eight or nine. I remember my parents always pushing me to brush my teeth, like if that helped.
Key things to know:
- Odor would come from my nose only when swallowing
- Teeth and gums have been mostly ok, due to my tendency to practice a rigorous oral hygiene to try to get rid of bad breath.
- Horrible taste in my mouth at all times.
- My tonsils are cryptic, i.e. they contain some holes. Whenever i stuck my finger in there, it would smell bad.
- BB would be stronger after dairy. I noticed that my finger would smell worse when squeezing my tonsils after having had anything diary.
- My tongue was always white and would smell horribly at the back of my tongue. Even with a tongue scraper, the smell would come back soon after.
- A GP thought it would be down to acid buildup in the stomach. She put me on Omeoprazole to limit the buildup of acid in my stomach but even after a month, nothing changed. She then decided to discontinue the Omeoprazole and try with Ranitidine. Once again, nothing changed.
- During the winter my breath would become MUCH worse. It could be smelt from across the room. When this happened, I noticed having white tonsils stones in my tonsils. Since I started flushing them daily with a waterpik my breath improved.
- Saliva test often returning negative after licking my wrist. However, bad breath was there (the proof were people's comment)
- I tried a broad spectrum of antibiotics to both try to get rid of bad breath or other conditions (e.g. sore throat) but results were inconsistent.
- Brushing and scraping my tongue with hydrogen peroxide and baking soda really helped for a couple of years, but my breath has become much worse lately. Even using the waterpik daily wouldn't fix it.

About a month ago, I decided to go to a private ENT for figuring out what to do. He recommended I'd go for a full tonsillectomy (old school, no laser) and septoplasty. As I used to snore although I'm still in my twenties and I'm physically fit, he recommended me having an UPPP as well.

Two weeks ago I went for surgery. I gotta tell you guys, it's been no joke. Very painful. I finished my course of antibiotics 3 days ago (Ciprofloxacin, which I had already taken with inconsistent results, see above). The first week I had a horrible bb, but this is excepted after tonsillectomy.
Now it seems to be better, I don't have a bad taste in my mouth. However, my nose is still stuffed cause of the septoplasty and I still breath thru my mouth.

Despite the pain, I really wish I had done the operations earlier. Guys, don't sit on your a** as I did. If you have chronic bb it's not gonna improve.

The problem is, I won't be knowing for sure whether the bb has gone or not.
I am positive tonsils played a part in it but what if I have something else like TMAU?
I figure I'd wait for my body to get better and then I'll contact a specialized medical center to do a gas chromatography exam to my breath.

Good luck to all of you.
Hi BB

After 3 weeks how are your bb.. dou you still recommend for who has stink tonsil ?
IAMFrustrated
Junior

Post by IAMFrustrated »

Hi

How is you BB is it better?
Sinus surgery 2016 & 2017 (I have allergies at work place)
Tonsilactomy 2017
H. Pylori treatment
Candida diet 5 to 6 months
BB---

Post by BB--- »

Yes, it has gotten better and I don't have sour taste in my mouth at all times. The middle of my tongue is also pink. It had always been white before the operation.
However, some BB is still there at times. I was just rubbing my gums the other day and felt some not-so-pleasant smell after rubbing close to one of my wisdom teeth, which is impacted. I am wondering whether I should remove or get a gas chromatography test first.

2 days ago I tried khalid's doxycicline's rinse and gargles and I think I didn't have ANY BB yesterday
zneb
Junior

Post by zneb »

BB--- wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:03 pm Yes, it has gotten better and I don't have sour taste in my mouth at all times. The middle of my tongue is also pink. It had always been white before the operation.
However, some BB is still there at times. I was just rubbing my gums the other day and felt some not-so-pleasant smell after rubbing close to one of my wisdom teeth, which is impacted. I am wondering whether I should remove or get a gas chromatography test first.

2 days ago I tried khalid's doxycicline's rinse and gargles and I think I didn't have ANY BB yesterday
Hi BB--

how is your BB ? hopefully you are in fully cured situation...
lolla123
Junior

Post by lolla123 »

BB--- wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:03 pm Yes, it has gotten better and I don't have sour taste in my mouth at all times. The middle of my tongue is also pink. It had always been white before the operation.

Hey, I would suggest if you feel/smell an odour from your wisdom tooth/teeth to get it removed just to rule it out. Have you read halitosissux, danger, cured and some other’s posts? Halitosissux as an example had an odour to his wisdom tooth, his too impacted, and was cured after it’s removal. I am not saying it is a cure but could be contributing so it might be good to get it out for your own peace of mind. Good luck.
Sue2018
Junior

Post by Sue2018 »

Hi,
I am new on this post. I suffer from tonsil stones and a sore tingly throat usually because of allergies but nothing too painful. I decided to go ahead with my tonsillectomy as I’ve always thought that maybe they contributed to my bad breath. My tonsil stones are not always visible and they usually sit behind my tonsils. I’m worried as I’m 36 and I’ve heard tonsillectomy is very painful. I just pray I get my cure!
Sue2018
Junior

Post by Sue2018 »

Hi guys I had my tonsillectomy today. It’s pretty painful but I’ve managed to eat and drink ok. It’s suppose to get more painful before it gets better! Boy am I dreading that!!! I will keep the post updated if this solves my bad breath problem. If not then I will see gastroenterologist as that’s the only other place I can think of.

Wish you all the best in your journey .
Sue
Batman30

Post by Batman30 »

Sue2018 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:48 pm Hi guys I had my tonsillectomy today. It’s pretty painful but I’ve managed to eat and drink ok. It’s suppose to get more painful before it gets better! Boy am I dreading that!!! I will keep the post updated if this solves my bad breath problem. If not then I will see gastroenterologist as that’s the only other place I can think of.

Wish you all the best in your journey .
Sue

Nice job! I have my consultation with my ent next month regarding my tonsillectomy..
Sue2018
Junior

Post by Sue2018 »

Good luck. It’s ispretty painful but just make sure you have a good pain relief plan and drink lots of water no matter how painful it gets. I’m on day 5 post-op and it’s still uncomfortable but nothing I can’t manage. Eating solids is tough so I have to really chew and swallow with water. Day 3-4 was a lot better but today it feels very sore.

Good luck
Sue
Sue2018
Junior

Post by Sue2018 »

Hi just giving an update.

So on day 6 my scab on my right side fell off and I was in so much pain caused some bleeding but drinking lots of ice cold water stopped the bleeding. Now I’m on day 10 and I’m still pretty sore on my right side but my left side is healing well. I’m actually eating better finally. Batman be prepared it’s very painful and you have to really stay on top of the pain relief. I found paracetamol and ibruphen worked best for me. Wish you all the best and let me know if you need to know anything.

Sue
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic