Your Email Address:

First Name:

New diagnosis-Wish me luck!

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
mtr
Advanced

New diagnosis-Wish me luck!

Post by mtr »

So I ve been to the ENT recently in order to request a tonsillectomy as it is the only thing pending on my list. I do not have tonsil stones or anything but it was the only thing really left to do.

The doctor asked me about my symptoms and among others he asked me whether I think I have bad breath (a few seconds after he rubbed his nose, he was so polite and discreet!! :lol: ). I replied only with a 'Well, yes I think so'.

He examined me, my tonsils were a little bit bigger than usual and looked like a little bit tired (how couldn't they after obsessive daily oral hygiene procedures!! 8) ) but not pathogenic.

When looking further in my larynx with a camera.. TARAAT!! The area where my voice box is was redish and irritated which in combination with the other symptoms I expressed (constant dryness in my throat) was implying that I might possibly suffer from CHRONIC SILENT LARYNGOPHARYNGEAL REFLUX (LPR). 10 years ago I had gastroscopy and was diagnosed with gastritis, but not GERD, and H. Pylori negative. Apparently LPR may exist without having GERD as I do not really experience heartburn etc.. and... you come to a point when sore throat becomes part of your life and you don't even perceive it as a symptom anymore.

The doctor didn't want to proceed with a tonsillectomy without any apparent reason and he advised me to try firstly a treatment for LPR, which means medication for reflux and adjusting my diet likewise. I ve been on a strict no carbs and dairy diet for sometime now therefore I need to readjust my diet once again.

Sounds like a clear plan and this is what I needed. A doctor to point out something and give me direction so that I no longer walk blindly.

He told me it will take approximately a month before I see any improvement. Did any of you receive this diagnosis before? Any update?

Wish me luck! [-o<

micca4455
Junior
Re: New diagnosis-Wish me luck!

Post by micca4455 »

Good luck @mtr
micca4455
Junior

Post by micca4455 »

Hi mtr. Am so happy to find this support group. I also have problem with bb for almost decades now and its so devastating. I almost done everything just to get rid of this problem.. Pls can somebody help.
winter
Sheriff

Post by winter »

Was told I have mild gastritis, but no GERD too. I suspected that I had LPR too because I used to get lump and burning sensation in the throat. Those symptoms were gone after I maintained a strict diet. I have also been on trials for GERD meds a few times. No improvement.

Hope that is your problem and it will be solved soon.
Dead
Advanced

Post by Dead »

I suspect i have LPR as well. Congrats on getting it diagnosed. Could you share the diet he prescribed you?
mtr
Advanced

Post by mtr »

micca4455 wrote:Good luck @mtr

Many thanks!! :)
mtr
Advanced

Post by mtr »

micca4455 wrote:Hi mtr. Am so happy to find this support group. I also have problem with bb for almost decades now and its so devastating. I almost done everything just to get rid of this problem.. Pls can somebody help.
Hello micca4455! Don't give up!! There are many interesting posts around here.. However, my advice is to keep a diary so as to keep a record of what you are trying and what kind of an impact it had on you.. ;)
mtr
Advanced

Post by mtr »

winter wrote:Was told I have mild gastritis, but no GERD too. I suspected that I had LPR too because I used to get lump and burning sensation in the throat. Those symptoms were gone after I maintained a strict diet. I have also been on trials for GERD meds a few times. No improvement.

Hope that is your problem and it will be solved soon.
Hello winter. Thank you for sharing your experience with us! I hope this is my problem as well!! It totally makes sense as LPR refers mostly to gas reflux, that is why is silent.. I ve been reading a lot about it and found this book on Amazon Kindle an eye opener.. "All About LPR: The Silent Reflux Story" by Thomas F. Lee. LPR is a complicated situation!!
mtr
Advanced

Post by mtr »

Dead wrote:I suspect i have LPR as well. Congrats on getting it diagnosed. Could you share the diet he prescribed you?
Hello there!! The diet he suggested of following is similar to GERD's; no chocolate, no caffeine, no alcohol, acidic food etc..

However as I've been reading a lot lately I have found this book on Amazon Kindle quite helpful in order to get a deeper idea of LPR.. "All About LPR: The Silent Reflux Story" by Thomas F. Lee. I hope this helps!!
micca4455
Junior

Post by micca4455 »

Recently i was diagnosed of h. Pylori infection. (POSITIVE). my doctor prescribed medicine for my infection. I took those medicine for 2 weeks as prescribed. Its a combination of two antibiotics and 1 proton pump inhibitor. I thought h. Pylori is the cause of may bb. But may doctors says its not.. I completed those medication.. But my bb still there.. Anyone who have the same problem as mine? Suggestion pls.
mtr
Advanced

Post by mtr »

micca4455 wrote:Recently i was diagnosed of h. Pylori infection. (POSITIVE). my doctor prescribed medicine for my infection. I took those medicine for 2 weeks as prescribed. Its a combination of two antibiotics and 1 proton pump inhibitor. I thought h. Pylori is the cause of may bb. But may doctors says its not.. I completed those medication.. But my bb still there.. Anyone who have the same problem as mine? Suggestion pls.
Hello micca4455. Do you follow any diet in particular? Diet plays a huge role as well.
sopo
Advanced

Post by sopo »

"baking soda test" Google this. This test will tell if you have excessive stomach acid. I heard LPR can also be caused when stomach acid levels are very low. If that the case HCl tablets will help. I think I have silent reflux, especially during sleep. Sometimes when I check my breath after waking up it smells like burnt flesh. When I eat high carb food at night I don't get that smell. My grandmother always suggested to drink a tall glass of milk before going to bed, I think it's to keep the stomach acids in control.
mtr
Advanced

Post by mtr »

sopo wrote:"baking soda test" Google this. This test will tell if you have excessive stomach acid. I heard LPR can also be caused when stomach acid levels are very low. If that the case HCl tablets will help. I think I have silent reflux, especially during sleep. Sometimes when I check my breath after waking up it smells like burnt flesh. When I eat high carb food at night I don't get that smell. My grandmother always suggested to drink a tall glass of milk before going to bed, I think it's to keep the stomach acids in control.
Hello sopo! If you think you have silent reflux then it is worth checking it out. I finished the ph monitoring test and I was diagnosed with reflux without having the traditional symptoms. Bitter taste and throat lump were the major reasons I seeked ENT advice on the first place. The results? 33 reflux episodes in just few hours.

I am up to an endoscopy soon. Tragic to admit it but I hope this is the reason I have chronic bad breath.
winter
Sheriff

Post by winter »

mtr wrote:
sopo wrote:"baking soda test" Google this. This test will tell if you have excessive stomach acid. I heard LPR can also be caused when stomach acid levels are very low. If that the case HCl tablets will help. I think I have silent reflux, especially during sleep. Sometimes when I check my breath after waking up it smells like burnt flesh. When I eat high carb food at night I don't get that smell. My grandmother always suggested to drink a tall glass of milk before going to bed, I think it's to keep the stomach acids in control.
Hello sopo! If you think you have silent reflux then it is worth checking it out. I finished the ph monitoring test and I was diagnosed with reflux without having the traditional symptoms. Bitter taste and throat lump were the major reasons I seeked ENT advice on the first place. The results? 33 reflux episodes in just few hours.

I am up to an endoscopy soon. Tragic to admit it but I hope this is the reason I have chronic bad breath.
Any improvement so far?

Any idea why your doc order pH monitoring? I had lump in the throat feeling too, but no doc suggested that test. Just jumped to gerd med trials and endoscopies.

Please us on your endoscopy results after you get it.
mtr
Advanced

Post by mtr »

winter wrote:
mtr wrote:

Any improvement so far?

Any idea why your doc order pH monitoring? I had lump in the throat feeling too, but no doc suggested that test. Just jumped to gerd med trials and endoscopies.

Please us on your endoscopy results after you get it.

Will update you as soon as I have the results of the endoscopy. The reason why the doctor suggested ph monitoring test is because this test is considered as the best method of detecting silent reflux. The reason this type od reflux is called silent is because the traditional GERD symptoms are not present, e.g. heartburn.

However, I keep taking the PPI drugs and all 3 doctors (1 ENT & 2 Gastroenterologists) told me that this bitter taste I feel in my mouth will fade away. It just needs time for my larynx to heal and to handle the reflux. After the endoscopy everything will clear out.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic