Your Email Address:

First Name:

My story, and prep for a tonsillectomy.

Tell us your story with bad breath
E48765
Total Newbie
My story, and prep for a tonsillectomy.

Post by E48765 »

I have noticed from this forum that there is a lot of negativity which is of course understandable because of the nature of this condition. However I wanted to share my story in a hopefully more positive light and document my tonsillectomy, if it is approved by the doctor.

I first began to notice my bb around the end of highschool, probably when I was about 14 or 15. It was around this time that I was diagnosed with a lot of medical related issues such as acid reflux, ibs and tonsillitis. Back then, my bb wasn't too bad. I would have weeks where it was bad and then months where it wasn't even an issue for me at all.

Fastforward to now (aged 20) and my bb is probably the worst its ever been. I wouldn't say it's ruining my life- I feel really lucky to have a good group of friends, a boyfriend who loves me and a great job, as well as being successful at university.

I could usually mask my bb by bringing a Toothbrush everywhere I went, as well as constantly chewing gum and sugar free mints. I think I have done a good job of masking it. People still want to sit next to me, and my boyfriend wants kisses and has never mentioned my breath (trust me when I say we are really honest with each other haha).

However, my boyfriend and I recently went on holiday together. We had the most amazing time, however the long days travelling and exploring meant that my breath- masking was pushed to a whole new level. I was constantly chewing mints, sweets and anything that would just keep the taste sweet. It was at this point that I decided something needs to be done about my breath. Masking your breath all the time gets exhausting!

I recently looked in my throat and noticed that I have huge dents in my tonsils (probably from all the tonsillitis I used to get) and tonsil stones too. I've been picking them out, however they always come back a few days later! This has now given me hope that, if I get a tonsillectomy, my bb will be cured.

I know it may not, as I also have acid reflux and ibs, so the problem could easily be coming from the stomach. However I am willing to go through the pain of a tonsillectomy, even just so it means I don't have to pick these tonsil stones out every day! (which i could never do around my boyfriend, we're close but not that close haha).

My tonsils in themselves are fine- no infections anymore. However I've read that doctors are reluctant to perform a tonsillectomy for just tonsil stones by themselves, so I plan to overexaggerate the pain side of things.

My appointment is next Saturday, so I will be sure to keep everyone updated of how it goes! If I'm approved for it, I hope to document the whole process on here, and take you guys along with me. Any questions, feel free to let me know.

rinitico
Junior
Re: My story, and prep for a tonsillectomy.

Post by rinitico »

In many cases tonsils might cause halitosis. But a grand part of the people who suffer this shit, come from the stomach. Do you have replux and stomach troubles? maybe you should attack that side too. A tonsilectomy is good to discard it is the origin of the problem, but there are many cases where it only helps a little since the trouble was somewhere else. Actually, i'm taking my tonsils out soon equally, but i want to convince my ENT to take my adenoids since i feel my halitosis came from the back of my nose, above the palate near to my tonsils, and my odor is mainly nasal. Please keep us update if this surgery solve your problem.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic