Your Email Address:

First Name:

My road to recovery

Tell us your story with bad breath
Surviving
Total Newbie
My road to recovery

Post by Surviving »

First, let me say I just discovered this board in the past few days. Alot of interesting material I wish i discovered years ago. Anyway, let me sum up what ive gone through and what has helped...so far.
It started in 2006. I was drinking heavily at the time and getting sick(vomiting) on a daily basis. I started to comments on my bad breath then. Nothing gum couldnt cure. Dealt with this. Had tooth decay on a tooth which was removed. No real issues. Fast forward to 2008. I went to an afterwork party on July 4th. Alot of people who i didnt know etc. Suddenly someone shouts out "who shit themselves" and this girl looks at me and points and says it was me. I was so embarrassed, I left. Went to work the next day and noticed people acting weird....then it started. The sniffling, the covering of noses, and again "who farted" comments. Mind you i worked in a financial office in close quarters.
I didnt know what to do or what to make of it. I started wearing heavy cologne and became obsessed with cleaning myself constantly. My thought was "am i not wiping myself properly?" I got hemmorhoid pads and showered 3 times a day. I was so lost....
Then i did research and found maybe it was my tonsils. So i immediately had them removed. I guess it helped but i dont know how much.
I went back to work and still got the same reactions. I became beyond depressed at this point. Ended up quitting my job and not leaving my apartment for a long time. This depression i believe led me into drugs, specifically, heroin. Once i discovered heroin, nothing mattered. I could go out in public and people would make their sniffles and comments and i didnt care.
Well, heroin led me down a path that i never want to return to..2 yrs ago I had enough of running and decided to take my life back and fix this stink problem that i have going on. Keep in mind, at this point I had lost everything..home, family, car EVERYTHING. i was essentially a homeless junkie living on the streets of Paterson, NJ. Enough was enough.
I moved back home with family and have been on a journey to fix this mess.
First, my back teeth all had decay and cavities. Ive removed them all and replaced them with implants. Smell started getting better. How do i know this? Because i have a mother who has no filter and tells it like it is so shes the one helping me in this process. Next, when i was younger, i had my nose broken in fights etc. Went to an ENT, i had polyps as well as mold growing in my sinuses. Im still in the process of having that fixed...however, the post nasal drip could be a huge cause of my bad breath but not the entire package.
Moving on, ive had GERD for years but just recently became really bad after taking antibiotics. Had an endoscopy performed. I have a hiatal hernia that i have to schedule laro surgery for soon. Could this be it? Ill know soon...one thing to note which Im not certain on is this- someone recommended probiotics recently to counteract the negative stomach sides from the antibiotics. I started them. The first few days i became violently sick...severe flu etc. Perhaps this is the good bacteria killing off the bad bacteria? Not sure but i was out and about and something happened...i didnt get a single sniffle or weird look..nada. I asked my mom and sure enough she confirmed she didnt smell a thing. I dont know what to make of it as ive lost hope years ago but this probiotic thing could help...but im counting more on the hiatal hernia surgery plus the nasal issues to nuke this issue once and for all...Anyway, thats a long story summed up somewhat. Thanks.

Ricky
Sheriff
Re: My road to recovery

Post by Ricky »

Surviving wrote:First, let me say I just discovered this board in the past few days. Alot of interesting material I wish i discovered years ago. Anyway, let me sum up what ive gone through and what has helped...so far.
It started in 2006. I was drinking heavily at the time and getting sick(vomiting) on a daily basis. I started to comments on my bad breath then. Nothing gum couldnt cure. Dealt with this. Had tooth decay on a tooth which was removed. No real issues. Fast forward to 2008. I went to an afterwork party on July 4th. Alot of people who i didnt know etc. Suddenly someone shouts out "who shit themselves" and this girl looks at me and points and says it was me. I was so embarrassed, I left. Went to work the next day and noticed people acting weird....then it started. The sniffling, the covering of noses, and again "who farted" comments. Mind you i worked in a financial office in close quarters.
I didnt know what to do or what to make of it. I started wearing heavy cologne and became obsessed with cleaning myself constantly. My thought was "am i not wiping myself properly?" I got hemmorhoid pads and showered 3 times a day. I was so lost....
Then i did research and found maybe it was my tonsils. So i immediately had them removed. I guess it helped but i dont know how much.
I went back to work and still got the same reactions. I became beyond depressed at this point. Ended up quitting my job and not leaving my apartment for a long time. This depression i believe led me into drugs, specifically, heroin. Once i discovered heroin, nothing mattered. I could go out in public and people would make their sniffles and comments and i didnt care.
Well, heroin led me down a path that i never want to return to..2 yrs ago I had enough of running and decided to take my life back and fix this stink problem that i have going on. Keep in mind, at this point I had lost everything..home, family, car EVERYTHING. i was essentially a homeless junkie living on the streets of Paterson, NJ. Enough was enough.
First, my back teeth all had decay and cavities. Ive removed them all and replaced them with implants. Smell started getting better. How do i know this? Because i have a mother who has no filter and tells it like it is so shes the one helping me in this process. Next, when i was younger, i had my nose broken in fights etc. Went to an ENT, i had polyps as well as mold growing in my sinuses. Im still in the process of having that fixed...however, the post nasal drip could be a huge cause of my bad breath but not the entire package.
Moving on, ive had GERD for years but just recently became really bad after taking antibiotics. Had an endoscopy performed. I have a hiatal hernia that i have to schedule laro surgery for soon. Could this be it? Ill know soon...one thing to note which Im not certain on is this- someone recommended probiotics recently to counteract the negative stomach sides from the antibiotics. I started them. The first few days i became violently sick...severe flu etc. Perhaps this is the good bacteria killing off the bad bacteria? Not sure but i was out and about and something happened...i didnt get a single sniffle or weird look..nada. I asked my mom and sure enough she confirmed she didnt smell a thing. I dont know what to make of it as ive lost hope years ago but this probiotic thing could help...but im counting more on the hiatal hernia surgery plus the nasal issues to nuke this issue once and for all...Anyway, thats a long story summed up somewhat. Thanks.
Hello surviving

What kind of probiotics are you using? What brand? Can you post the different strain of good bacteria on the label? Cause i am taking probiotics 11 strain by Nutra Life. Well, its still too early to say that it has no effect. For how many days have you been taking probiotics when you noticed the improvement? Did you change your diet while you were taking probiotics?
gotshot26
Master

Post by gotshot26 »

Sorry to read your story - devastating - hopefully you can get back to a 100% normal life with the help of the forum.
For type 1 sufferers, bad breath is mostly caused by overgrowths of sulphur-reducing bacteria within your microbiome. You should spend more time focusing your attention on these overgrowths if you want to find your permanent cure.
sopo
Advanced

Post by sopo »

I feel you brother. I have a question. Can you smell your BB? Thanks.
Surviving
Total Newbie

Post by Surviving »

Ricky wrote:
Surviving wrote:First, let me say I just discovered this board in the past few days. Alot of interesting material I wish i discovered years ago. Anyway, let me sum up what ive gone through and what has helped...so far.
Hello surviving

What kind of probiotics are you using? What brand? Can you post the different strain of good bacteria on the label? Cause i am taking probiotics 11 strain by Nutra Life. Well, its still too early to say that it has no effect. For how many days have you been taking probiotics when you noticed the improvement? Did you change your diet while you were taking probiotics?
Hi- the brand is florajen3, just says 15billion live cultures. I started off with 1 pill a day but the sickness became too strong. Taking a half every other day and im still feeling ill. It does constipate me. Ive been on for 3 weeks, no change in diet, also.
Surviving
Total Newbie

Post by Surviving »

sopo wrote:I feel you brother. I have a question. Can you smell your BB? Thanks.
Hi- honestly ive never really smelled anything. Outside of occasional morning breath if i notice it but apparently it got so bad even with my mouth shut, people couldnt differentiate whether or not i crapped myself. Im just numb at this point...even if i can fix it, ill never be the same person.
Surviving
Total Newbie

Post by Surviving »

gotshot26 wrote:Sorry to read your story - devastating - hopefully you can get back to a 100% normal life with the help of the forum.
Thank you, appreciate it.
Ricky
Sheriff

Post by Ricky »

Surviving wrote:
sopo wrote:I feel you brother. I have a question. Can you smell your BB? Thanks.
Hi- honestly ive never really smelled anything. Outside of occasional morning breath if i notice it but apparently it got so bad even with my mouth shut, people couldnt differentiate whether or not i crapped myself. Im just numb at this point...even if i can fix it, ill never be the same person.
Hello surviving

Do you mean to say you still get bad reactions from people?
Surviving
Total Newbie

Post by Surviving »

Ricky wrote:
Surviving wrote:
Hello surviving

Do you mean to say you still get bad reactions from people?
Hi- no I do not (currently) but i also do think this is a permanent solution. Ive been dealing with this for many many years, I just cant fathom that a $15 dollar bottle of pills from my pharmacy is the answer. Maybe though...idk. Ill assess after i have corrected both my stomach and nasal issues first. One thing to note- this probiotic at recommended dose makes me feel extremely sick..as in cant get outta bed sick. Could my insides be filled with so much bad bactreria that when i take them a war takes place inside? Both my friend and pharmacist looked at me clueless when i said the sides i get...
Ricky
Sheriff

Post by Ricky »

Hello surviving

Maybe you are experiencing the die off effect. When candida dies, it releases toxins creating a flu like symptoms. It only means, its working. Just drink plenty of water to get rid of that toxins.
Gingin

Post by Gingin »

Thank you for sharing your story. Hang in there and best wishes for a full recovery. =D>
lolla123
Junior

Post by lolla123 »

This is truly heartbreaking, I hope you will get permanently cured or at the very least find an effective way to manage this damn problem... you mention you had a hernia, have you been tested further regarding your intestines? I’ve read a lot of people have tested for h pylori and found some relief, I don’t know if you have but just in case the operation doesn’t cure you it might be an idea for you. Best wishes.
kjr1988
Total Newbie

Post by kjr1988 »

Thanks for sharing your story!
Surviving
Total Newbie

Post by Surviving »

Just an update and some thoughts:
First, I discontinued all probiotics as over time, it seemed to make my situation worse. When I spoke with my gastro doctor I asked to take a biopsy to test for H.pylori when they went down my stomach again. Sure enough, I tested positive. My thought is the interaction of probiotics and H. Pylori doesnt work out. I was prescribed prevpac which I only took 1 dose of. I had a rapid heartbeat for almost a day. I explained to my doc my issue and he seemed to think the clarithomycin is my issue. So he then prescribed Pylera. My co-pay was $800. I couldnt afford it so he signed me up for a patient assistance program and it was confirmed yesterday ill have it soon.
In the meantime, ive experimented with oralbiotics with S. Salivarius. That worked for a day or two. Now i have dry mouth and a metallic taste all the time and reactions from others are alive more now then ever.
Ill see if any changes happen from Pylera. Still haven't been back to ENT yet as work is in overload mode.
Thanks
Ricky
Sheriff

Post by Ricky »

You cured your bb through acv? How many bottles have you consumed?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic