Your Email Address:

First Name:

Cured after 10 years <Doxycycline>

Tell us your story with bad breath
Gatero
Total Newbie

Cured after 10 years <Doxycycline>

Post by Gatero »

I wanted to always dreamed of doing this post. Hope I am not too early :D. Since it's only been about 10-15 days since I started Doxycycline antibiotic for acne

Just few days after starting the antibiotic, I noticed that there was absolutely no smell anywhere. I couldn't even smell anything by licking my wrist or spoon - which I had always smelled even if I had brushed & rinsed and cleaned tongue for hours.
Now after about 2 weeks, no sign of any smells nor OBVIOUS reactions from people.
Also I haven't had BAD TASTE IN MOUTH for 2 weeks either. (used to happen specially in the mornings)

I can now get "regular" bad breath by eating milk, cheese, candy etc. - but nothing too offensive at all. .
I still have good white coating on my tongue, although it doesn't seem as thick in the back. However, the important part is that IT DOESN'T SMELL

I haven't asked anyone if I even have morning breath, but I dont think so. [my oral hygiene is over-the top, probably just like you]

I will still struggle with halitophobia for a while, though after having chronic halitosis for about 10 years I think it's understandable.

Anyway the advice for you is::::
If you have been to doctors etc. and nothing seems to work BUT haven't tried the antibiotic, try it- it clears many many bacteria infections that u could have in your throat or lungs or mouth. I don't know what chronic infection I had there but it was minor enough for many good doctors to miss it (even with x-rays etc.). No obvious symptoms, nothing has changed my in my life after starting the antibiotic other than the smell & taste is gone.
Worth of noting is that I used to get much worse breath if I had throat infection than normal - so maybe its a clue?

Other than that, now after about 15 days, my life hasn't really changed and I don't expect it to. Just makes social interactions a bit easier.

Last words: If you haven't tried the antibiotic try it for real. You won't lose shit, even if it doesn't work for you.
Be VERY aware of HALITOPHOBIA!!

I will keep you updated if the bad breath will occur again after the antibiotic has ended

Jimi Stein
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: Cured after 10 years <Doxycycline>

Post by Jimi Stein »

usually, bad breath disappears after a round of antibiotics and it always comes back with a vengeance......maybe you are just lucky...or it is something about that antibiotic.....
This is me, Jimi Stein, I created this site in December 2005. Welcome.
jacksparrow222
Total Newbie

Post by jacksparrow222 »

Jimi Stein wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:18 am usually, bad breath disappears after a round of antibiotics and it always comes back with a vengeance......maybe you are just lucky...or it is something about that antibiotic.....
I think it'll only happen if we do not restore the balance of the good and bad bacteria after consuming antibiotic. It's what happened to me after undergoing a heavy medication due to dengue fever. So my suggestion would be to try to consume probiotic afterwards :)
Raymond
Master

Post by Raymond »

Gatero wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:15 am I wanted to always dreamed of doing this post. Hope I am not too early :D. Since it's only been about 10-15 days since I started Doxycycline antibiotic for acne

Just few days after starting the antibiotic, I noticed that there was absolutely no smell anywhere. I couldn't even smell anything by licking my wrist or spoon - which I had always smelled even if I had brushed & rinsed and cleaned tongue for hours.
Now after about 2 weeks, no sign of any smells nor OBVIOUS reactions from people.
Also I haven't had BAD TASTE IN MOUTH for 2 weeks either. (used to happen specially in the mornings)

I can now get "regular" bad breath by eating milk, cheese, candy etc. - but nothing too offensive at all. .
I still have good white coating on my tongue, although it doesn't seem as thick in the back. However, the important part is that IT DOESN'T SMELL

I haven't asked anyone if I even have morning breath, but I dont think so. [my oral hygiene is over-the top, probably just like you]

I will still struggle with halitophobia for a while, though after having chronic halitosis for about 10 years I think it's understandable.

Anyway the advice for you is::::
If you have been to doctors etc. and nothing seems to work BUT haven't tried the antibiotic, try it- it clears many many bacteria infections that u could have in your throat or lungs or mouth. I don't know what chronic infection I had there but it was minor enough for many good doctors to miss it (even with x-rays etc.). No obvious symptoms, nothing has changed my in my life after starting the antibiotic other than the smell & taste is gone.
Worth of noting is that I used to get much worse breath if I had throat infection than normal - so maybe its a clue?

Other than that, now after about 15 days, my life hasn't really changed and I don't expect it to. Just makes social interactions a bit easier.

Last words: If you haven't tried the antibiotic try it for real. You won't lose shit, even if it doesn't work for you.
Be VERY aware of HALITOPHOBIA!!

I will keep you updated if the bad breath will occur again after the antibiotic has ended

I have also resorted to antibiotics, and I think that helped me, but only for a time, unfortunately.
I'll give you two recommendations.
- Never assume the state of your breath, you have to have, yes or yes, a person who evaluates you, nothing passes that test. The rest will only be assumptions.
. the test of licking the wrist is not effective, I have also tested it by making comparisons, assisted by other people.
even. , when I have felt a taste in my mouth that makes me suppose that my breath can be unpleasant .... and no, it does not smell like anything, proven by more than one person.
I can even successfully pass the morning breath test, without having to brush my teeth.
it is impossible for dairy products to give you bad breath, you have barely consumed them, bacteria, to give off a bad smell, they must have a time for these to become more alcoholic and, if there is a person with knowledge in chemistry, could corroborate what I say. only products with a very intense flavor can impregnate their smell in the mouth and tongue, but that is another matter.
Gatero
Total Newbie

Post by Gatero »

Jimi Stein wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:18 am usually, bad breath disappears after a round of antibiotics and it always comes back with a vengeance......maybe you are just lucky...or it is something about that antibiotic.....
That sounds like there's some infection that comes back after the antibiotic has ended - probably in the sinuses and post nasal trip would be causing the bad breath.

If the smell comes back clearly, at least we have a very good clue of where the bad breath is coming from, and maybe then ENT doctors could solve it. There are many bacterial infections that they could and probably would want to test for then.

It's worth of noting though, that while I have been to several doctors, I haven't gone through a proper "research" even once where _all_ the possible causes would've been eliminated. My case has been rather that I have jumped from doctor to another where almost everyone has asked almost the same questions and then they've been clueless.
jacksparrow222 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:39 am I think it'll only happen if we do not restore the balance of the good and bad bacteria after consuming antibiotic. It's what happened to me after undergoing a heavy medication due to dengue fever. So my suggestion would be to try to consume probiotic afterwards :)
Thanks for the tip. Will try to read more about it, although I have read quite plenty about probiotics and the research is very limited and mixed. [I have aten some probiotics, too - and no clear benefits.]
Raymond wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:31 am I have also resorted to antibiotics, and I think that helped me, but only for a time, unfortunately.
- Never assume the state of your breath, you have to have, yes or yes, a person who evaluates you, nothing passes that test. The rest will only be assumptions.
. the test of licking the wrist is not effective, I have also tested it by making comparisons, assisted by other people.
even. , when I have felt a taste in my mouth that makes me suppose that my breath can be unpleasant .... and no, it does not smell like anything, proven by more than one person.
I can even successfully pass the morning breath test, without having to brush my teeth.
it is impossible for dairy products to give you bad breath, you have barely consumed them, bacteria, to give off a bad smell, they must have a time for these to become more alcoholic and, if there is a person with knowledge in chemistry, could corroborate what I say. only products with a very intense flavor can impregnate their smell in the mouth and tongue, but that is another matter.
My obvious fear right now is, that the breath will come back - I don't remember last time when I had had 100% non-smelly breath. Not to exaggerate though, I believe I can definitely get bad breath - but only like "normal" at the moment. This morning also I did the spoon test after waking up - there was definitely a minor smell, but I think it was gone after brushing teeth & tongue etc.
i did the smell test again in the afternoon and there was nothing, absolutely no smell on the tongue. The case used to be that I always used to have a smell after doing the spoon test. also often I would smell my saliva from glasses I had drunk water from etc. - so a very clear change.

I kinda agree on the assumption of the state of your own breath though, despite there has been some research on this and if I don't recall wrong; majority of people could say if their breath smelled or not. Usually people, specially those suffering from chronic halitosis exaggerated their how bad their breath smelled. So if I, a very likely halitophobia patient say that my breath doesn't smell. It's very likely that it doesn't.
Lick test indeed isn't accurate, and even more inaccurate test is the taste in your mouth, which is not 100% related. But one method I think is semi accurate for me is simply exhaling the air inside a thick shirt/jacket/bag?. Everytime I have been able to get that smell, (definitely not always) - I also got very clear reactions from people.

Anyway, I am lucky right now in my life to be in a situation I socially interact with people on daily basis on such a close contact, that I can definitely say if my, or my friends breath smells bad.
Now lately I haven't had any obvious reactions from people, even when we have been pretty close (less than 50cm)

Btw - side question. Has anyone tried the "tanita bad breath checker?" - I used to have one device and I would almost never get 0 or 1. Then it broke or something because it always gave the same number no matter what.
I have ordered a new one couple weeks ago, and will be interesting to see if I can get 0 from it now. - remember I almost never used to pass the spoon test before, while now I can barely notice a smell in the mornings before brushing teeth.
Raymond
Master

Post by Raymond »

I will repeat it again, I suffered halitosis for at least 45 years, and if I am sure of something, it is that if you want to check the state of your breath, YOU MUST RECEIVE ANOTHER PERSON. And if it is more than one, so much the better, no other system will give you a more reliable answer, and as for the reaction of the people, myself, many times I played dumb before the bad breath of another person, I pretended that I did not feel anything, just to not hurt feelings.
everything you do in another way, will only be assumptions, and make checks in that way, hinders your evolution to a good breath, because in reality you will not know if you are going or not on the right path.
zneb
Junior

Post by zneb »

Gatero wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:15 pm
That sounds like there's some infection that comes back after the antibiotic has ended - probably in the sinuses and post nasal trip would be causing the bad breath.

If the smell comes back clearly, at least we have a very good clue of where the bad breath is coming from, and maybe then ENT doctors could solve it. There are many bacterial infections that they could and probably would want to test for then.

It's worth of noting though, that while I have been to several doctors, I haven't gone through a proper "research" even once where _all_ the possible causes would've been eliminated. My case has been rather that I have jumped from doctor to another where almost everyone has asked almost the same questions and then they've been clueless.
jacksparrow222 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:39 am I think it'll only happen if we do not restore the balance of the good and bad bacteria after consuming antibiotic. It's what happened to me after undergoing a heavy medication due to dengue fever. So my suggestion would be to try to consume probiotic afterwards :)
Thanks for the tip. Will try to read more about it, although I have read quite plenty about probiotics and the research is very limited and mixed. [I have aten some probiotics, too - and no clear benefits.]
Raymond wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:31 am I have also resorted to antibiotics, and I think that helped me, but only for a time, unfortunately.
My obvious fear right now is, that the breath will come back - I don't remember last time when I had had 100% non-smelly breath. Not to exaggerate though, I believe I can definitely get bad breath - but only like "normal" at the moment. This morning also I did the spoon test after waking up - there was definitely a minor smell, but I think it was gone after brushing teeth & tongue etc.
i did the smell test again in the afternoon and there was nothing, absolutely no smell on the tongue. The case used to be that I always used to have a smell after doing the spoon test. also often I would smell my saliva from glasses I had drunk water from etc. - so a very clear change.

I kinda agree on the assumption of the state of your own breath though, despite there has been some research on this and if I don't recall wrong; majority of people could say if their breath smelled or not. Usually people, specially those suffering from chronic halitosis exaggerated their how bad their breath smelled. So if I, a very likely halitophobia patient say that my breath doesn't smell. It's very likely that it doesn't.
Lick test indeed isn't accurate, and even more inaccurate test is the taste in your mouth, which is not 100% related. But one method I think is semi accurate for me is simply exhaling the air inside a thick shirt/jacket/bag?. Everytime I have been able to get that smell, (definitely not always) - I also got very clear reactions from people.

Anyway, I am lucky right now in my life to be in a situation I socially interact with people on daily basis on such a close contact, that I can definitely say if my, or my friends breath smells bad.
Now lately I haven't had any obvious reactions from people, even when we have been pretty close (less than 50cm)

Btw - side question. Has anyone tried the "tanita bad breath checker?" - I used to have one device and I would almost never get 0 or 1. Then it broke or something because it always gave the same number no matter what.
I have ordered a new one couple weeks ago, and will be interesting to see if I can get 0 from it now. - remember I almost never used to pass the spoon test before, while now I can barely notice a smell in the mornings before brushing teeth.

Hi Gatero...

Please let us know your updated condition in the next 1 month

thank you
Jimi Stein
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by Jimi Stein »

Gatero wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:15 pm

doctors are the biggest morons dode on the planet....so many people tried all the tests that are possible......and the whitecoat morons could not find anything...... complete looser morons.....and bad breath for them is not a real problem....it is a psychological thing......fuckheads...

my doctor was always like that...always denying bb now he has himself one of the worst bad breath i ever smelled.....karma is a bitch.....I guess.....
when he talks his nurse always cringes.....feels so funny......
Jimi Stein
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by Jimi Stein »

but I am pretty sure it will come back.....sorry for that....bad breath is just systemic...our imune system cant fight off bacteria.....why you think you will get cured when you kill off bacteria....bacteria is all around us...once you dont have the tool to kill them off they will come back.....
Raymond
Master

Post by Raymond »

I have 5 months without special diets, without antibiotics, without extreme oral hygiene, my breath 100% good, without any smell, tested by 4 different people at different times, not assumptions, concrete facts.
after at least 40 years of chronic halitosis,
Raymond
Master

Post by Raymond »

Why do not you periodically eliminate phlegm from your throat?
Gatero
Total Newbie

Post by Gatero »

Jimi Stein wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:19 pm but I am pretty sure it will come back.....sorry for that....bad breath is just systemic...our imune system cant fight off bacteria.....why you think you will get cured when you kill off bacteria....bacteria is all around us...once you dont have the tool to kill them off they will come back.....
Could be true for sure, but I have never before been able to eliminate it this much. I've had other antibiotics as well but never saw any difference( none prescribed for halitosis of course).

If it comes back then I am not worried. First of all, I will find a good ENT doctor or dentist if they would have any clue about this. There's only a set of diseases that this drug affects best to, which cause halitosis. - I think that knowing that this particular antibiotic cured my bad breath 90% can help a lot in finding a final cure for *my* case.
+ I think that the doctors will believe me better now, because it's rather unlikely for it to be "halitophobia" if this particular antibiotic cures it.

Anyway, secondly I have started keeping some kind of diary during this antibiotic, so if it comes back I can tell the doctors what else changed during the antibiotic apart from the obvious halitosis gone.
So far, about 15 days antibiotic in; I haven't noticed anyone having any OBVIOUS reactions to my breath. I haven't smelled that my own breath would smell bad apart from "spoon" lick test (back of tongue) - early in the morning & late in the evening smells a bit(during day no). But that's how it can have been all the time during the antibiotic, since I haven't done the tongue lick test at those times, until I made the post here and you got me worried. Mofos.
Raymond wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:10 am Why do not you periodically eliminate phlegm from your throat?
With your breathing techinicue or how? I have tried some ways to play with the phlgem, but never had any noticable results like from some mouthwashes/brushing teeth or tongue. Also right now I won't focus on anything else than this antibiotic - I will keep taking good care of my mouth like normal, but that it. As said above, if the bb comes back then I will find a good doctor and ask if they can help. If not then I am alone again and will try other methods. At the moment though, because that antibiotic had such a huge effect, it seems like I had some chronic bacterial infection.
Raymond
Master

Post by Raymond »

consult a kinesiologist about the phlegm issue.
itsjustme
Total Newbie

Post by itsjustme »

Sorry for the stupid question.
Where can I buy the drug from? Walgreens?

Thanks.
gotshot26
Master

Post by gotshot26 »

update
For type 1 sufferers, bad breath is mostly caused by overgrowths of sulphur-reducing bacteria within your microbiome. You should spend more time focusing your attention on these overgrowths if you want to find your permanent cure.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic