Your Email Address:

First Name:

Post-Tonsillectomy (Need Advice please!)

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
millionyearsago
Post-Tonsillectomy (Need Advice please!)

Post by millionyearsago »

Hello everyone,

I recently had a tonsillectomy (17 days ago to be exact), I went through the two-week recovery and right after I noticed I had a cleaner/pinker tongue with no smell whenever I did a wrist test. I begin to think that it was my cure but turns out, it was not! Yesterday I had junk food and shortly after, my tongue went back to its white coating and my breath once again smells like sulfur. This was really discouraging and almost felt like I hit a wall with a dead end.

Now I don't know if I should seek help from a gastroenterologist or an ENT and I am back to square one.

Things I've tried:
-Candida Diet
-HPylori treatment - few tests after have shown I am negative
- Still follow a vegan diet (whole foods for the most part)
- Nasal Rinse
- probiotics, oral probiotics
ETC

I've been tested for quite literally everything, according to my gastroenterologist I have no LPR/GERD after 24 ph monitoring, endoscopy, manometry, barium swallow, ultrasound, etc.

I used to get bad bloating and I have gotten it under control after I was prescribed anti depressants, turns out it was just a nervous stomach.

If anyone could help and give me advice please! I feel so helpless and lost, I can't concentrate in my life without taking care of this problem. It is quite literally eating me alive.

Also, does anyone think it might be SIBO or IBS?

buddi
Junior

Re: Post-Tonsillectomy (Need Advice please!)

Post by buddi »

My issue seems to be dry mouth..
Its the same white tongue coat with no other health issue ..specially when u eat junk or crispy foods..it makes it even more drier..
I produce enough saliva..never had cracked lips..its just d tongue..
Atleast if u feel that sticky and stingy feel in your mouth, then its def dry mouth.
May b try this:
1. No deep fried food, crispy foods
2. Reduce refined carbs intake
3. Brush n scrape twice a day
4. Coconut Oil pulling after morning brushing..also deep gargle with oil till the back of the throat.

Oil pulling seems to be helping me a lot with this condition..Do it daily..the tongue isnt getting dried now..and even the brushing process has become easier..
Im a long time sufferer n never experienced this freshness before..still coming in terms with it .
PND is my only symptom. All Healthy apart from it.
PND leaves a coating on my tongue and creates BB i believe
millionyearsago

Hi! Thank you for your reply.

I’ve tried oil pulling before it wasn’t really much help. Diet wise I do pretty much all of those things, I do eat fried foods/refined carbs maybe once a week? But that is it.
I am starting to think it might be allergies/pnd/sinus maybe? A few days ago I discovered I am a mouth breather
millionyearsago

millionyearsago wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:24 pm Hi! Thank you for your reply.

I’ve tried oil pulling before it wasn’t really much help. Diet wise I do pretty much all of those things, I do eat fried foods/refined carbs maybe once a week? But that is it.
I am starting to think it might be allergies/pnd/sinus maybe? A few days ago I discovered I am a mouth breather when I sleep
buddi
Junior

Post by buddi »

millionyearsago wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:24 pm Hi! Thank you for your reply.

I am starting to think it might be allergies/pnd/sinus maybe? A few days ago I discovered I am a mouth breather
Were ur sinuses/pnd tested by ENT when u had tonsilloctomy.
Yeah mouth breathing is not a good thing..specially needs to be taken care during sleep.
Some times its really annoying because most of the time we struggle to find the root cause
Any ways, i guess only areas in mouth that causes BB are
1. Teeth
2. Gums
3. Tongue
4. Back of tongue
5. Tonsils..
Tongue/ back of tongue gives u BB incase of dry mouth..or any salivary gland probs..your tongue shows it easily in this case..
Only if we r very sure all the above are very good, lets step into non oral causes
PND is my only symptom. All Healthy apart from it.
PND leaves a coating on my tongue and creates BB i believe
terranpatriot
Advanced

Post by terranpatriot »

millionyearsago wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:20 am Hello everyone,

I recently had a tonsillectomy (17 days ago to be exact), I went through the two-week recovery and right after I noticed I had a cleaner/pinker tongue with no smell whenever I did a wrist test. I begin to think that it was my cure but turns out, it was not! Yesterday I had junk food and shortly after, my tongue went back to its white coating and my breath once again smells like sulfur. This was really discouraging and almost felt like I hit a wall with a dead end.

Now I don't know if I should seek help from a gastroenterologist or an ENT and I am back to square one.

Things I've tried:
-Candida Diet
-HPylori treatment - few tests after have shown I am negative
- Still follow a vegan diet (whole foods for the most part)
- Nasal Rinse
- probiotics, oral probiotics
ETC

I've been tested for quite literally everything, according to my gastroenterologist I have no LPR/GERD after 24 ph monitoring, endoscopy, manometry, barium swallow, ultrasound, etc.

I used to get bad bloating and I have gotten it under control after I was prescribed anti depressants, turns out it was just a nervous stomach.

If anyone could help and give me advice please! I feel so helpless and lost, I can't concentrate in my life without taking care of this problem. It is quite literally eating me alive.

Also, does anyone think it might be SIBO or IBS?
Hey millionyearsago, could you share some details around your tonsillectomy procedure? Did it involve the removal of just the palatine tonsils (the ones on the sides of your mouth/throat), or the lingual tonsils (the ones that sit on the base of your tongue that likely accumulate mucus secretion)? From what I've found through research, the lingual tonsils are the ones that are more likely to relate to BB. I'm scheduled for an appointment with an ENT this coming Friday to explore the removal of my lingual tonsils, palatine tonsils, and my adenoids, in one fell swoop. I believe the cause of BB for many of us could possibly be more so related to structural/anatomical issues in the mouth/nose/throat area than it is to systemic or endocrinological issues in our body.
jo317
Advanced

Post by jo317 »

What did you eat after the surgery that didn't seem to cause any problems?
What was it that you ate that made it all come back?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic