Your Email Address:

First Name:

MAIN FACTOR FOR EXTREME BB?(FECAL)

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
space
Advanced

MAIN FACTOR FOR EXTREME BB?(FECAL)

Post by space »

PART 1

Okay, maybe this is not the main factor, but ONE of the main factors in fecal type bb.

As you can see, I'm still a "Newbie". But like you, have read several threads here.

Now focusing on the topic, reading threads here, just like most or maybe some of you have noticed already, there's this recurring pattern of symptoms for EXTREME TYPE OF BAD BREADTH: the one which can fill up a room, the one that smells even your mouth is close, the one you can smell even from planet Mars (okay that's an exaggeration, but you get what I mean). So now for the same/repeating symptoms I have read so far for this type:

- distinct smell of this type is fecal, sometimes "fart"
- mucus in throat
- bad taste in mouth

I will be focusing on the factor I'm talking about which is the MUCUS IN THROAT.

Some might describe it as sticky saliva. Some, clear or transparent mucus. Some maybe call it phlegm. But it's in the same location, in throat or maybe even upper part of esophagus.

I'm thinking that what we were describing (sticky saliva, mucus, phlegm) is the same thing. But to be clear what I'm talking about, mine is:

- COLOR/APPEARANCE: clear/ transparent, not opaque, not yellow phlegm or green phlegm or brown phlegm, just clear mucus

- CONSISTENCY: not so thick, but you can feel it there, particulary when you eat mucus-aggravating foods like spicy, chocolate or anything creamy

- FREQUENCY: never goes away, I see it when I spit after rinsing when brushing,

- TASTE: taste mostly nothing, but is somehow salty

- SMELL: I haven't smell it with spit-then-smell method. Though I smell my floss for every section when flossing, I cannot get myself to smell the mucus. I just have a whiff of how it smells when I intentionally cough (smells depends mostly on what I've eaten). Like the mucus absorb the smell of whatever I intake, maybe it's like a net there or maybe like a pool that get affected of whatever you eat.

Ruminating about it, I think that some circumstance or collections of reasons have triggered a part of our body to produce the mucus. Scientifically speaking, our body normally does produce mucus constantly for important functions. What I mean is, EXTRA MUCUS IN THROAT CONSTANTLY.

And then I thought about, what if it gets triggered to start and we cannot undo it anymore and have to live it. That's a very pessimistic view, but I'm trying to think about the worst case scenario so I can somehow find solutions to at least manage the smell (even the mucus production will never be cured).

space
Advanced

Re: MAIN FACTOR FOR EXTREME BB?(FECAL)

Post by space »

PART 2

So far, I have read about 4 members who have posted about the mucus and mentioned their solution.

- NOTANYMORE - I hope this is the right spelling of his username. Just to be clear, his symptom was like green or brown phlegm (not clear), but his predominant smell is also fecal. His solution was a combination of surgeries which I'm not sure if he was completely cured since it was an old thread already. But he wrote, similar to this, that there are days that the mucus exist but dont smell.

- Renato1 (in Raymond's breathing technique thread) have mentioned that he also have this mucus. He's older and seems to have also researched through these years. His solution was not permanent, the mucus still exist, but he has a way of managing the smell, by taking S.Salivarius (he have mentioned brands, but one of it is quite expensive). My point is, although I have thought that the mucus won't ever go away, the main point is how it is going to smell. "EVEN THE MUCUS WILL EXIST FOREVER, BUT WON'T STINK/SMELL = NO EXTREME BB" (that's only a theory though) He thinks that the smelly bacteria/sibo is what causing his mucus to smell. The S. Salivarius somewhat neutralizes it.

- another is HopefulOne, I hope I wrote the right username as there have been similar usernames with the word "hopeful". He also has mucus, his solution was drinking baking soda water. I think that this solution might be good for only special occasions like for a day or two since drinking baking soda water for long term HAS NEGATIVE SIDE EFFECTS.

- most recently, justcured, I'm also not sure if his completely cured or he have already tested his breath with other people. I reread his thread and he has not stated anything about encounter or his new experience with other people other than stating that he has check his breath. I'm not saying I don't believe what he have posted, I just wan't to make sure since his title is saying up to 99%.

I will leave two questions for us to ponder:

1. What's the root cause of this extra mucus production? (THIS IS REALLY HARD TO ANSWER, might skip to number 2)

2. If the theory: "Even mucus wont ever go away, but wont stink = no bb" is right... What could we do to keep the mucus free of offensive smell? (I really want to try the S. Salivarius but as he said, its only temporary, smells comes back the third day if you stop taking it)

Please don't be shy if you have something to correct or add to this post. Thank you for reading this far.
space
Advanced

Post by space »

Also, I've mentioned before that I will be going to see a periodontist to check for gum disease as I have symptoms for it, I'm thinking what if the saliva which smells of gum disease is what I keep on swallowing, which my throat mucus takes it smell, those molars smell fecal. A possibility right? When I was in highschool, I had bb already but was milder and manageable (I think the gum disease is only starting at that time), the mucus only started in college, that was also when the extreme bb started, maybe the mucus trapped the smell of fecal-smelling saliva from ongoing gum disease. That's just a possibility but I will still put it here.
Thiscantbelife

Post by Thiscantbelife »

Do any of you guys have silver fillings?
space
Advanced

Post by space »

I have fillings with composite resin. Extreme bb has already started even before I got my fillings.
onedaysoon123
Total Newbie

Post by onedaysoon123 »

Hi

I am really interested in your post, particularly about gum disease and the mucus. I have this mucus too, mostly after brushing and have always wondered if everyone would have this if they brushed as intensely as me? I also have a bad taste in my mouth always and have recently started to wonder if I have actually had gum disease for the past 15 years and it hasn't been picked up?? Thoughts? My floss smells a bit and one tooth always bleeds. Other than that, no symptoms.

I just posted a new post "back to basics" if you and interested in my journey.

Would like to follow this thread though and see if anyone comments or you make any revelations. I plan to see a dentist on Friday to see if gum disease could be an issue.. I haven't directly asked that question in about 10 years.

I'll also get back onto my probiotics and oral specific probiotics (S. Salivarius) and see what happens.

let's stay positive x
space
Advanced

Post by space »

I have asked two dentists in the past and they just said "Your gums look okay (blah blah)." They didn't even measure my gum pockets. So I was baffled back then, them telling me oral health is okay when I always suspected maybe half of the root cause of my bb is my fecal-smelling gums.

I read an old post that if you suspect you have gum disease (chronic halitosis: recurring fecal smell on some or most sections when flossing, bleeding gums, receding gums which creates gaps/small spaces between teeth, family history, which I all have) YOU MUST INSIST TO YOUR DENTIST THAT YOUR GUM POCKETS BE MEASURED. Deep cleaning is quite expensive compared to regular cleaning so be prepared for the cost.

Healing gum disease takes time especially if you have deep pockets. The two articles I read so far, one took about 3 years to get back to normal/healthy gum pockects, the other one took like 2 years. Important note is they also change their lifestyle (not just calling it, "diet") for the long term.

Thank you for your interest in this thread. Be hopeful, although I'm slowly letting go and accepting that MAYBE this type of bb can't be fully cured, I'm still hoping it can be managed and somehow we can still live a better life than this.
space
Advanced

Post by space »

LOG May 14, 2019

Since I'm the one who started this thread, I'll just make this my log/journal for whatever I have observed at the moment or anything new to add.

This past few days, I have been interacting more with some family members, and one of them have gum disease. I now know the smell of gum disease from another person. It's hard to describe but it's like the smell inside an old wooden closet, musty and then a hint of fecal smell. I remember in college, one of my classmates commented, "amoy aparador" (in english translation, "smells like wooden closet" (more like an old wood closet).

I'm thinking that my mucus/throat section is the one producing the "more" fecal smell. I remember eating junk after junk then fasted for like 2 days, then in the morning I gargled with baking soda water. I coughed up this tonsil stone. It feels like a grain of rice has come out of my throat, that's the exact feeling of it. Disclosure, one of my tonsils is enlarged but somehow looks okay, I tried pinching it like they advised here but nothing comes out. I'm suspecting that when I'm producing more mucus in my throat, that's when the tonsil stones are forming there (inside, not the tonsils in my mouth). Now, I'm not sure if the fecal smell from my throat, comes from bacteria, any forming tonsil stones there, or just the food that I'm eating (the smell becomes worse if I ate something I should avoid).
Kd1994

Post by Kd1994 »

Hm I wonder if my breath smells like old wood too.🤔. I don't know of any gum problems my gums seem fine. It's the back of my tounge. Maybe even my throat and inside my stomach that might be the cause. At one while I changed my diet (no meat dairy) had a good basic oral routine and my tounge started to have no odor at all but then my sister told me it smelled like fart one day even though I had no tounge smell which leads me to believe it comes from an additional source. So I'm just not sure.

I do have phlegm/mucus at times. Its yellow and salty and If i feel it i can make it come out. Never smelled it to see how it smells. I haven't paid much attention to when it comes up either. Also, lately i feel like pastas make my breath 10xs worse in the morning. I sometimes try to write down and be note aware of changes and what makes it worse.
space
Advanced

Post by space »

It was yesterday. And there was this smell, almost the same as the sillage effect of a perfume (the smell is not pleasant, but not very offensive either). But the old-wood-closet scent is what clearly stayed with me. I knew I'm not smelling my own since we cannot smell our breath unless we do our little tricks to get a whiff of it. Some parts of the day I couldn't smell this scent from her, then some parts of the day the smell is there. I remember she have a history of gum disease which I think is not completely treated, her gums noticeably receded. It's not predominantly fecal, but theres a hint of it like maybe just 1.5 to 2 in a scale of 10. I wonder if my gum disease smell worse than hers.

I suggest you keep a personal bb journal to write your observations and keep track of whatever seems to help (I keep mine in my phone). And about the pasta, if its tomato-onion-garlic base with meat and cheese, it's no wonder why your bb becomes worse the next day. Pasta is quite heavy too for the stomach especially if you have low stomach acid, and then you ate it at night. Even if my food choices are not so good at the moment, I still try to fast at least 12 hours every night, to let my system rest and stops using most of my energy just for digesting (this way your giving your body at least a decent amount of time to "recuperate").
space
Advanced

Post by space »

LOG May 17, 2019

I finally told my mom. I kept it all to myself from 14 y/o till now, turning 28 y/o. No, I didn't go for the "please check my breath" as I'm already sure I have the smell and I knew somehow, she knew it too. My mom knows I'm logical and persistent so when I said "I've researched for years, but there is no cure for me yet," I knew she understood how much I've tried alone to find solution for it. I've just enumerated and explained to her the things that will help somehow. I feel lighter and there's this little light, that I can now begin with my "edited/better" lifestyle without explaining myself every single time.
space
Advanced

Post by space »

*I just learned about this thing called "catarrh" and I found this article interesting. I'll just leave the link here for your readings:

https://www.nytimes.com/1865/03/03/arch ... tical.html
space
Advanced

Post by space »

*another link here (the articles are from The New York Times printed in the 1860s):

https://www.nytimes.com/1862/05/15/arch ... by-dr.html
Kd1994

Post by Kd1994 »

I'm extremely happy for you. Takes quite a bit of courage to admit to someone
space
Advanced

Post by space »

(Thanks Kd1994, it feels nice telling someone you have the condition and being understood.)

LOG May 18, 2019

I have swallowed baking soda water today (the 2nd time, the first one was on May 5). BIG WARNING HERE: as I've already stated in the previous post, drinking baking soda water for long term HAS NEGATIVE EFFECTS.

In the first one, May 5, I was primarily/intentionally gonna test it for reducing mucus smell, but I ended up doing the burp test. Today was the second time. I couldn't tell if it made a difference for the bb smell, but the changing result was the burp. On May 5, I burped (I ate meat that lunch), today I didn't burp (I ate sauteed ampalaya/bitter gourd with egg). I'm not sure if the meat produced more acid that's why I burped in the first test.

My method was not drinking a glass of it. As I'm always rushing, I put about 1/4 TEASPOON NOT TABLESPOON (with the right measuring tool) baking soda in my mouth (it doesn't taste good okay) then I pour enough water in my mouth, swish it a bit with the baking soda then swallow it. AGAIN, overdosing and taking baking soda water for longer amount of time WILL DAMAGE YOUR BODY. Please always research the tests you want to try.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic