Your Email Address:

First Name:

MAIN FACTOR FOR EXTREME BB?(FECAL)

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
space
Advanced

Re: MAIN FACTOR FOR EXTREME BB?(FECAL)

Post by space »

For the ones who smell like rotten eggs, you might want to visit this link:

https://agutsygirl.com/2019/05/02/do-yo ... tten-eggs/

its about a third type of SIBO called Hydrogen Sulfide SIBO

Jaim618

Post by Jaim618 »

space wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:21 am Hello, StillHoping, thank you for reading these entries and also thank you for your suggestions, I will try them soon.

For the appointment on Saturday, I will do the same routine I used in Monday, also the same meal plan (more veg, very small amount of meat, no smelly food, no super processed foods) the only thing I will change to test something is add bread. Although last week, I avoided eating bread especially pastries, I want to note that I was not totally gluten free as I have eaten wheat in noodles and small amounts in some other food. This meal plan on saturday appointment, I included bread, white bread, no cream/frosting, not sugary.

btw, here's the semi-full list in my "food archive", I don't have face-to-face feedback all the time, so the one's in smelly section, I usually base it on the level of smell that I can detect on my own, I just know it's 2x-3x worse when others smell it (but others also stated here that, you should not judge your bb base on the feel of your mouth, reliable feedback is a must)

I'm just putting it here just in case you want to test the food one by one and see if it makes a difference to you (I have already put this in our thread from our country, but it's in mix Filipino-English language we call "Taglish", this one's for everyone who can understand English. I must emphasize that this is from MY PERSONAL OBSERVATIONS only.

It includes 3 categories: SMELLY, MUCUS AGGRAVATING, LBM/CONSTIPATION

I. SMELLY (not in order, but these are the worst offenders)
- beef (hamburger, corned beef, shawarma, beef stew, anything with beef)
- I'm not sure what do you call it there, but here we call it "longganisa", smellyyyyy
- junk foods, if there's "spices" written on the pack, usually they are onion and garlic powder, junk foods make me smell up to early hours the next day
- seasonings (cubes, excessive seasoning, tamarind powder)
- soups that has onion, chives, and garlic when boiling
- citrusy (lemon, orange, grapefruit, etc)
- tomato-onion-meat-cheese combo
- onion-garlic-soy sauce combo
- onion-y, garlick-y, chives-y
- sometimes cheese and eggs
- instant noodles with lots of seasoning
- canned goods like sardines, tuna, mackerel, even sausages and hotdogs
- this is not food, but I will include it here as this makes the smell worse: minty commercial toothpaste or even natural but still minty toothpaste

I wont mention the other local meals here as you might not be familiar with them, but the other smelly vegetables just in case you do plant-based (*plant-based is the term mostly for health related reasons, vegan is more about ethical reasons including avoiding leather and other things) SMELLY IN PLANT-BASED:
- cabbage
- daikon
- broccoli and cauliflower
- soy products
- beans can be smelly too
- some fruits (in my observation):
- banana
- pineapple
- mango
- papaya
- citrus including lemon
- even red apples sometimes

Some other things to consider that I dont consume/do:
- coffee, even some tea (smells like tobacco after)
- alcohol
- smoking
- your type of mouthwash also
- the gum you use to mask your breath
- some medication
- some products you put near the nostrils like vicks

*I don't have a certain LABELLED DIET that I'm following, I don't do keto, not solely plant-based, not paleo, not totally gluten-free, I just follow my own list/observations.

II. MUCUS- AGGRAVATING (*clear mucus, some of these triggers are not food)
- everytime you cry, the mucus in throat gets "thicker" and "dripping"
- sleeping right after a big meal, make the mucus also feels "thicker" right after you wake up
- milk, milk, milk, dairy
- spicyyyyyy
- minty toothpaste sometimes
- vinegar too, and acidic like tomato, note that I get sore throat sometimes in the morning the next day after taking my ascorbic acid supplement
- chocolate, cocoa
- cookies, some bakery goods
- not gluten-free oats (or maybe oats is just mucus forming itself)
- sometimes coconut milk too

III. LBM/CONSTIPATION
LBM:
- milk/dairy
- anything creamy: mayonnaise, icing/frosting, peanut butter, creamy sauce in pasta, too much vinegar

CONSTIPATION:
- beef or overeating lean parts of pork or chicken
- dehydrated
- not eating veggies
So what can you eat??? Lol
space
Advanced

Post by space »

for protein: chicken (dark meat), fish (excluding tuna, and other smelly kinds), some people can tolerate beans, also some pork, its HOW you cook them, if you gonna put too much spices then its common sense

for carbs: we're "rice eaters" so I dont have any problem with that, oats is fine if it wont aggravate mucus, also the simple kinds of bread if you can tolerate it (I can eat some, while the other sugary ones with fillings in it can add to bb)

for veggies: mostly the low thiol/low sulfur ones like carrots, potatoes is fine too but I think in moderation cause some said its mucus forming, sweet potatoes (it can make you gassy but I think this is low thiol), eggplant, some mushroom types (though not a veg, its a fungus I know), pechay, chayote, bitter gourd (ampalaya), yam, there are lists on google, some are conflicting, you have to test and decide on your own

beverages: I only drink water, (I drink some apple flavored tea once in a while, but that leaves the tobacco like smell)

fruit: I only eat saba at the moment, its a type of banana that can be cooked

luckily, we always have fresh produce here and also affordable

note: I have to repeat that those are just from my own observation, its best to test on your own what makes you smelly. And this only works if food is your main factor of having bb. If not, and you have any other source of bb, this wont help that much, will just lessen it.
space
Advanced

Post by space »

And also, even if your meals are okay, but still using the super minty commercial toothpaste and minty mouthwash, minty gums, those things will make your smell worse. Not good also for LPR.
Jaim618

Post by Jaim618 »

I can’t tell what makes me worse. I always feel the same gross taste no matter what. What kind of toothpaste do you use? I watch what I eat for weight loss, I will try to be even more careful. Some of the things I can eat are on your do not eat list. I’ll have to starve myself lol thank you!
space
Advanced

Post by space »

Log October 22, 2019

Hello guys, here's an update. So I finally went for a panoramic xray which I have been postponing for months now. The result: ALL OF MY FOUR WISDOM TEETH ARE IMPACTED. Luckily, I was blessed with a job I can do at home and so I'll be able to save money for the surgery (which is expensive! per tooth).

I've decided to remove the first two, that have been damaging the gums of the tooth beside them (previously thought it was because of gum disease).

Although I have known about the impacted teeth, I'm still careful with what I eat, though I'm less strict these days. To make it short, I'm still avoiding the most smelly ones (know its redundant but I'm still gonna list it short for new readers of this log):

- beef
- eggs (esp hard boiled)
- cabbage, radish
- citrus
- cheese (cheddar is okay for me)
- mint (not good also if you have mucus problem)
- any dish or packaged food with lots of onion and garlic/ also toasted garlic or garlic powder (toasted garlic + citrus + egg = fecal breath for sure, this combination will be room filling breath, add more bb level if you drink coffee with this combo)
- junk food (I eat once in a while but the less smelly ones only)
- some dense, filled pastries, esp chocolate flavor

Those are the MOST smelly ones in my observation. I think my bb will even get lesser after the removal of my impacted teeth. And also, I already found a flavor free toothpaste for me. It's for toddlers but still does the job in cleaning my teeth. I floss and gently brush my tongue. Clean nostrils lightly. Hydrate.

Besides the removal of wisdom teeth, I'm working on my bowel movement next and the ever mysterious factor, clear mucus.

(I will update again maybe in the next few months, and if you have end molars which have damaged gums and you don't have wisdom teeth, please get a referral to get a panoramix xray.) Keep going guys!
space
Advanced

Post by space »

*just correcting the misspelled word at the last part, it's PANORAMIC, not panoramix 😆
space
Advanced

Post by space »

Log November 10, 2019

A FEEDBACK! So I told you I got to work at home, but also a part of the job is to talk to a person at certain hour of the day. Today is the first the other person commented about the "fart" smell.

I have been interacting with the person but today is the first time I got that comment. Last night, I ate a "moderately" smelly junk food, today at breakfast I ate crackers and bread with a small block of cheese in it. Before that comment, I was also eating the same bread with that cheese (I'm not really sure what kind of cheese was it, but its similar to when you cut a piece of queso de bola).

And so this is like a eureka moment, that I was right, what I eat really affects the smell or level of smell I give off (even when I get to remove my impacted wisdom teeth). This happens because of the mucus in my throat. I had a theory in the past that, comparing when a "normal" person eats a smelly food, he/she will have "normal" temporary bb. But when it is I who will eat that smelly food, the mucus in my throat will kind of trap the smell of that food, or maybe microscopic particles of the food, thus magnifying that "supposed to be normal and temporary" bb to a "fart" like level bb.

What's interesting is that, when I was about one and half meters away, it seemed okay. I only got the comment when I came near (side by side) the other person.

Whenever I go out, I avoid eating smelly foods. Do my normal routine: 1. flavor-free toothpaste, 2.floss, 3. gentle tongue cleaning with a toothbrush not tongue scraper, 4. optional, sometimes I finish it off with a rinse (baking soda diluted in water), 5. clean nostrils. And as expected, I don't get the "fart" comments. I can sit in peace side by side with the others.

When I say smelly foods, I'm pertaining to high tryptophan, high thiol, and high
methionine foods. Tryptophan will produce indole or skatole (not sure, but its the feces smell). Methionine produces methyl mercaptan which is one of the "smelliest" smell there is. The SELENBP1 sufferers should avoid methanethiol. I mainly avoid these smelly foods cause of throat mucus issue.
badbrlady

Post by badbrlady »

What helps me to get a neutral taste in my mouth and therefore hopefully good breath is
the biggest carrots i can find. The little babycarrots are not so usefull. The bad smell comes from my throath and the very back of my tongue where i cant reach with a scraper.
So the carrot is the scraper. Drinking sparkling water after that helps a lil too.
Apples are too sweet. Carrots have a neutral smell.
But whenever i eat something it goes down hill esp beef.
I gargle with baking soda. I use paradontax toothpaste.
space
Advanced

Post by space »

Same with me, whenever I eat smelly food (that will give a low level bb to "normal" people) my throat mucus (clear in color, just like thick saliva) will magnify that smell and will stay there up to 24-36 hours after eating the food. (or I'm not even sure whether its my whole system thats being affected by the consumed food)

But I'm still hoping my wisdom teeth surgery will cure half of my problem, since my back molars are also the ones contributing to the bb. Tried touching them and oh so stinky. I think those are the ones they call as "flaps". Hoping that the food choices will just be maintenance or a precaution to avoid the breath that kills.

Im removing two wisdom teeth first, then another two. It will take me months to save money for it, so please be patient to the ones who are reading this thread. I will come back here to give an update or anything new that I observed or discovered.
KL123
Sheriff

Post by KL123 »

space wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:57 am Log November 10, 2019

A FEEDBACK! So I told you I got to work at home, but also a part of the job is to talk to a person at certain hour of the day. Today is the first the other person commented about the "fart" smell.

I have been interacting with the person but today is the first time I got that comment. Last night, I ate a "moderately" smelly junk food, today at breakfast I ate crackers and bread with a small block of cheese in it. Before that comment, I was also eating the same bread with that cheese (I'm not really sure what kind of cheese was it, but its similar to when you cut a piece of queso de bola).

And so this is like a eureka moment, that I was right, what I eat really affects the smell or level of smell I give off (even when I get to remove my impacted wisdom teeth). This happens because of the mucus in my throat. I had a theory in the past that, comparing when a "normal" person eats a smelly food, he/she will have "normal" temporary bb. But when it is I who will eat that smelly food, the mucus in my throat will kind of trap the smell of that food, or maybe microscopic particles of the food, thus magnifying that "supposed to be normal and temporary" bb to a "fart" like level bb.

What's interesting is that, when I was about one and half meters away, it seemed okay. I only got the comment when I came near (side by side) the other person.

Whenever I go out, I avoid eating smelly foods. Do my normal routine: 1. flavor-free toothpaste, 2.floss, 3. gentle tongue cleaning with a toothbrush not tongue scraper, 4. optional, sometimes I finish it off with a rinse (baking soda diluted in water), 5. clean nostrils. And as expected, I don't get the "fart" comments. I can sit in peace side by side with the others.

When I say smelly foods, I'm pertaining to high tryptophan, high thiol, and high
methionine foods. Tryptophan will produce indole or skatole (not sure, but its the feces smell). Methionine produces methyl mercaptan which is one of the "smelliest" smell there is. The SELENBP1 sufferers should avoid methanethiol. I mainly avoid these smelly foods cause of throat mucus issue.
That's a good read.
Can you name a few common food items that are high tryptophan, high thiol, and high on producing methionine.
space
Advanced

Post by space »

I ranked the foods based on a rough estimation, I forgot how I ended up with my list, I’ll try to find my notes tomorrow

A short note, high methionine and high tryptophan have almost the same list of foods, I just want to make sure that I cover most of the smelly producing foods thats why I included both

~ soy products
~ cheese
~ spirulina
~ cod fish
~ chicken or turkey breast

I’ll try to put the list based on my old notes tomorrow

I started reading about “smelly“ foods from the information that dense protein will smell, started from cysteine, moved on to methionine, also read about choline, sulfur, moved on from sulfur to thiols, researched about what gas has the fecal smell, ended up with indole or skatole, thats why I was brought to researching tryptophan

Im not putting all the fault in my system or in my throat. I’m tackling all my factors of bb, one by one. Im removing my wisdom teeth first, all four of them, they also give off smell
space
Advanced

Post by space »

username “Cured” the one I can relate with my symptoms, who removed his impacted wisdom teeth was cured in a major way after the surgery, but after some time came back on the forum about his lower grade bb, he implies that when he brushes, the now lower grade bb becomes more pronounced, another user commented that it might be the toothpaste, which also I have observed affects the smell of my gums whenever I used the commercial minty toothpaste versus when I use a toothpaste with undetectable mint or a flavor free one (which is very hard to find btw).

Im also thinking maybe the bacteria in my saliva dont like that “stuff“ (commercial colored gel minty toothpaste) it makes my mouth dry, my gums give off smell after an hour, my tongue and saliva feels sticky, worst the sides of my mouth inside forms a clear film. I guess Im sensitive to most stuff, I mostly get a rash when I use some creams or lotion, I got a bad case of hives once after using this certain deo, I get migraines with most perfumes too, so Im mostly careful and choose the mild products that I can find including my toothpaste (i tried brushing with coconut oil and baking soda, dont try it, too oily and salty, you’ll probably puke)
space
Advanced

Post by space »

I’m updating my log from time to time, so if ever I get to be fortunate even just this once and somehow get cured, at least I documented it here and can help especially the ones who have worst cases of bb like mine. Somehow, Im thinking I dont smell as bad as before maybe 8-9 years ago, Im still thankful I’ve know how to manage to lessen the smell.
KL123
Sheriff

Post by KL123 »

space wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:20 pm I ranked the foods based on a rough estimation, I forgot how I ended up with my list, I’ll try to find my notes tomorrow

A short note, high methionine and high tryptophan have almost the same list of foods, I just want to make sure that I cover most of the smelly producing foods thats why I included both

~ soy products
~ cheese
~ spirulina
~ cod fish
~ chicken or turkey breast

I’ll try to put the list based on my old notes tomorrow

I started reading about “smelly“ foods from the information that dense protein will smell, started from cysteine, moved on to methionine, also read about choline, sulfur, moved on from sulfur to thiols, researched about what gas has the fecal smell, ended up with indole or skatole, thats why I was brought to researching tryptophan

Im not putting all the fault in my system or in my throat. I’m tackling all my factors of bb, one by one. Im removing my wisdom teeth first, all four of them, they also give off smell

Thank you. That's good information.
I searched a little and found this,

"Low sulphur diet.

3-4oz portions of animal protein or protein from beans/lentils/legumes with low-sulfur veggies, such as salads, carrots, celery, mushrooms, bell peppers, cucumbers, eggplant, spinach, collards, artichokes, and corn. All sorts of squash are great, including acorn, spaghetti, crookneck, zucchini, pumpkin and yellow squash. Rice, beans, lentils, potatoes, yams and sweet potatoes are good sources of starches. Herbs, spices, olive oil, avocado, fresh fruit, nuts and seeds (besides those noted for being high sulfur/sulfate) are great flavorings and additions.

An example day might include:

Breakfast: Rice-based cereal (hot or cold) with coconut milk (choose one without carrageenan), cinnamon, mixed berries and ground flax seed

Snack: Fresh fruit and/or nuts

Lunch: Spinach or romaine lettuce salad with cucumbers, carrots, celery, bell pepper, 3oz protein of your choice, avocado, olive oil or dressing, toasted pumpkin or sunflower seeds, perhaps with a side of soup, quinoa, corn tortilla or sweet potato with butter

Snack: Celery, jicama and carrot slices dipped in guacamole or your favorite dip, fresh fruit, nuts, flax crackers, squash or red bell pepper soup, or spaghetti squash with butter

Dinner: 3oz protein with grilled veggies, such as zucchini, yellow squash, portobello mushrooms, bell peppers and brown rice with teriyaki or tamari sauce

Dessert: Kiwi or melon slices with cinnamon and chopped pecans"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic