Your Email Address:

First Name:

My analysis so far

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
KL123
Sheriff
My analysis so far

Post by KL123 »

There may be various different kinds of bad breaths but what we are talking about here is chronic halitosis that has little to do with oral hygiene, and flossing, and tooth decay and tonsil stones and all that jazz.

This is kind of chronic bad breath that is likely common among family members.

So what I've read so far,
No matter what food we eat, there are two main gases produced by our digestive system that have a feces like smell.

These are Methanethiol and dimethyl sulfide.

Both these sulfur compound based gases enter into blood stream through our gut.

Genetically, our bodies produce a certain bacteria and proteins that break down these two sulfur compounds *BUT* those with chronic bad breath have a genetic mutation in one of our gene called SELENBP1 gene. The error in this gene results in high amount of Methanethiol and dimethyl sulfide stay unbroken in our blood.

And when the blood reaches the lungs, these smelly compounds leave the blood and are exhaled in the breath.

We scrape our tongues; but we can't go back far enough. A thin layer of this junk is accumulated and is stuck on the interior walls of our entire breathing passage, which includes our Trachea and Bronchial tubes. How the EFF can we scrape it with a tongue scraper?

So whenever we talk, these unbroken sulfur compounds rush out of lungs with our breath.

Since this is a genetic problem, there is obviously no cure.

The question now is, what can we do about it?

We may not be able to stop our digestive system from producing Methanethiol and dimethyl sulfide. And we may not be able to stop these gases from entering into our blood stream.

So what to do?

Perhaps we should look to think of some sort of medication or food or whatever, which produces a sort of gas compounds that attaches itself to the molecules of Methanethiol and dimethyl sulfide, and covers up the bad order?

We try to cover up the bad breath by chewing gums and mouth washes etc - why not try to cover up the bad odorous molecules of these gases to being with?

Do I know any such thing that will do the trick? Of course not!

The idea behind the post is to change our perspective in finding a solution by looking beyond what we know.

space
Advanced

Re: My analysis so far

Post by space »

SELENBP1 error is still under research. As much as I wish for the treatment for that to be here already (as I'm still considering it as a factor), dietary measures is the only thing "they" advise for now. And its hard to find a list with foods high in or will produce more methanethiol (just researched both methionine and thiols). I've searched more about in this area since noticing that food affects my breath like maybe 50-80% plus having another family member with chronic bb
KL123
Sheriff

Post by KL123 »

space wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:03 am SELENBP1 error is still under research. As much as I wish for the treatment for that to be here already (as I'm still considering it as a factor), dietary measures is the only thing "they" advise for now. And its hard to find a list with foods high in or will produce more methanethiol (just researched both methionine and thiols). I've searched more about in this area since noticing that food affects my breath like maybe 50-80% plus having another family member with chronic bb
Cool
What are the dietary measures they have suggested?
KL123
Sheriff

Post by KL123 »

space wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:03 am SELENBP1 error is still under research. As much as I wish for the treatment for that to be here already (as I'm still considering it as a factor), dietary measures is the only thing "they" advise for now. And its hard to find a list with foods high in or will produce more methanethiol (just researched both methionine and thiols). I've searched more about in this area since noticing that food affects my breath like maybe 50-80% plus having another family member with chronic bb
Also,
Do you know of any latest research/finding or updates after this paper?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5742538/
space
Advanced

Post by space »

Ive read the article once to twice and they didn't indicate an exact list of food or something. Theres only this sentence like "As a treatment, they can only advise dietary measures at the moment."

And when I wrote I haved searched in this "area", I didnt mean about SELENBP1 error/article but more about food-related bb.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic