Your Email Address:

First Name:

Need your advice on this weird thing that happens to me

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Rhino123
Need your advice on this weird thing that happens to me

Post by Rhino123 »

Hi everyone,

A quick question, i suffer from chronic bb like all of you, with nasal included. But whenever i drink a whole glass of pure orange juice, it amplifies the smell and it smells like rotten eggs. Do you have any idea why this might happen? Could it be from my tonsils maybe? (Doctors have said my tonsils look fine).

space
Advanced

Re: Need your advice on this weird thing that happens to me

Post by space »

Its the same with me, any citrus will worsen the smell. A couple of things might be the reason, I’ve searched before about foods with methanethiol and orange is a part of it. Second, if you have the clear mucus, the acidic smell of the juice might “ferment” with your mucus. If you think oj amplifies your bb, please try to avoid other citrus fruits as well.
space
Advanced

Post by space »

Here’s the one Ive read before:

“ Isolated from higher plants, e.g. radish (Raphanus sativus), also present in orange juice, pineapple, strawberries, asparagus, wheatbread, gruyere cheese, hop oil, coffee, roasted filberts, cooked rice and other foods Methanethiol (also known as methyl mercaptan) is a colorless gas that smells like rotten cabbage. ”
Rhino123

Post by Rhino123 »

space wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:48 am Its the same with me, any citrus will worsen the smell. A couple of things might be the reason, I’ve searched before about foods with methanethiol and orange is a part of it. Second, if you have the clear mucus, the acidic smell of the juice might “ferment” with your mucus. If you think oj amplifies your bb, please try to avoid other citrus fruits as well.
Thanks for the reply, thats interesting to know and yes i get clear mucus after every big meal pretty much.
space
Advanced

Post by space »

I would suggest, for after every meal, notice if the particular food made your bb worse. Cause I know you realize by now, there are really types of food that can make the bb 10x smelly. Take notes everytime. That will be a big help in putting up a list for your future reference to not make you more smelly while finding for your true cure. Hoping for everyone of us to get better.
space
Advanced

Post by space »

And oh, I tried to read some of your posts to know your other symptoms, and Ive read about the “bad taste” that you wrote, are you referring to bad bitter-ish, sour-ish taste? If thats what your talking about, it might be reflux. Not necessarily GERD, but its sibling, LPR. PPIs dont help with this, its just best not to aggravate mucus production.
Rhino123

Post by Rhino123 »

space wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:59 am I would suggest, for after every meal, notice if the particular food made your bb worse. Cause I know you realize by now, there are really types of food that can make the bb 10x smelly. Take notes everytime. That will be a big help in putting up a list for your future reference to not make you more smelly while finding for your true cure. Hoping for everyone of us to get better.
Thanks for the advice man, I'm hoping everyone could find their cure one day too, it is a pain in the backside to live with, but we just have to count our blessings and keep moving forward.
Rhino123

Post by Rhino123 »

space wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:12 am And oh, I tried to read some of your posts to know your other symptoms, and Ive read about the “bad taste” that you wrote, are you referring to bad bitter-ish, sour-ish taste? If thats what your talking about, it might be reflux. Not necessarily GERD, but its sibling, LPR. PPIs dont help with this, its just best not to aggravate mucus production.
In all honesty, i haven't had the bitter taste for several months now (it just went away), however my chronic bb is definitely still there. 2 weeks ago i had my upper impacted wisdom teeth removed in order to try and help my problem. So far, i haven't noticed a difference to my bb, however, based on my research it will take 4 to 6 weeks to know for sure if it changed anything.
space
Advanced

Post by space »

I will also be undergoing the same surgery soon, four of mine are impacted. I’ve just finished reading “Cured”’s thread last night, he was the one who got cured with wisdom teeth surgery. He mentioned that “clot smell” the amplified bb you get as a result of extraction will subside by 3-4 weeks. He waited until the gum tissues to be fully healed which took about atleast 10 months to say that he’s like 90% cured. I hope yours will also get better after weeks or months. Cured said that the waiting game is really hard. But its also okay to look at other factors as the main cause of your bb if after at least 3 months (90 days) there is still not even slight improvement.
Rhino123

Post by Rhino123 »

space wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:51 pm I will also be undergoing the same surgery soon, four of mine are impacted. I’ve just finished reading “Cured”’s thread last night, he was the one who got cured with wisdom teeth surgery. He mentioned that “clot smell” the amplified bb you get as a result of extraction will subside by 3-4 weeks. He waited until the gum tissues to be fully healed which took about atleast 10 months to say that he’s like 90% cured. I hope yours will also get better after weeks or months. Cured said that the waiting game is really hard. But its also okay to look at other factors as the main cause of your bb if after at least 3 months (90 days) there is still not even slight improvement.
That's great to hear that you will be undergoing the same surgery soon, if all 4 of yours are impacted the probability of atleast one of them causing breath problems could very well be true. Do you still have your tonsils? And yes cured's post is the one that made me go for the surgery but yes the waiting game is long :( I think i will wait for atleast 6 weeks before looking into getting my tonsils removed as that is literally the only thing left i can think of. Doctors have said my tonsils look normal however, is there anyway to persuade them? I also have a white/grey tongue all the time.
nolab
Junior

Post by nolab »

do you have it with bottled orange juice or do you squeeze them yourself?
Rhino123

Post by Rhino123 »

nolab wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:43 am do you have it with bottled orange juice or do you squeeze them yourself?
Tropicana Bottled
nolab
Junior

Post by nolab »

also noticed an increase of rotten egg smell after orange juice myself.
my guess is that is has something to do with sulfites in the bottled juice they use as a preservative.. apparently bottled orange juice contains more sulfites than wine.
"Bacon, orange juice, potato chips, cider, candied fruits, sausages, and even pancake syrups contain sulfite: often at levels vastly higher than those found in wine."
and I know that sulfites for me are a problem, also get hot flashes when the smell comes on, do you have them too?
why I am sensitive to sulfites, maybe some kind of overgrowth and my body cant handle any more sulfite.. I don't know.
I try to stay away from these:

"Greater than 100 ppm of sulfites (very high levels; strict avoidance advised in people with sulfite allergy)

Dried fruits (excluding dark raisins and prunes)
Bottled lemon juice (non-frozen)
Bottled lime juice (non-frozen)
Wine
Molasses
Sauerkraut (and its juice)
Grape juices (white, white sparkling, pink sparkling, red sparkling)
Pickled cocktail onions
"
and of course bottled orange juice..
space
Advanced

Post by space »

I’ll just share something, back when I was still studying, I used to often buy bottled tropicana, I would eat chips with it, and also eat anything (I was not aware back then that some foods can aggravate bb). My bb was room filling, the prof would even comment about it. Its fecal/fart-ish. And now that I know better, my bb tamed down. But when I go back to drinking any citrus juice, eating cheese, egg based noodles, onion/garlic powder filled food or soup, etc., my bb surely will go back to fecal. And when you have fecal mouth bb that is strong, most often than not, nasal bb will be expected too. What helped me is to find alternatives of what I used to eat or drink, and it isnt so bad at all. I also used to eat super sugary sweet stuff, but after some time, the cravings for it slowly died down. I think I was addicted to sugar back then.
Rhino123

Post by Rhino123 »

space wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:31 am I’ll just share something, back when I was still studying, I used to often buy bottled tropicana, I would eat chips with it, and also eat anything (I was not aware back then that some foods can aggravate bb). My bb was room filling, the prof would even comment about it. Its fecal/fart-ish. And now that I know better, my bb tamed down. But when I go back to drinking any citrus juice, eating cheese, egg based noodles, onion/garlic powder filled food or soup, etc., my bb surely will go back to fecal. And when you have fecal mouth bb that is strong, most often than not, nasal bb will be expected too. What helped me is to find alternatives of what I used to eat or drink, and it isnt so bad at all. I also used to eat super sugary sweet stuff, but after some time, the cravings for it slowly died down. I think I was addicted to sugar back then.
Yes i definitely agree with you that your diet can lower the smell of your bad breath. I have noticed that heavily processed foods of any kind always makes my breath worse, so does dairy and crisps (american chips), chilli sauce, etc. Out of everything, cows milk makes it the worst this is probably because of the coating it leaves behind on your tongue.

One should go for a whole foods, natural, plant based clean diet and avoid processed/sugary/junk food as much as possible whilst drinking a lot of water in terms of diet.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic