Your Email Address:

First Name:

Body Odor due to ‘portosystemic shunt’ possibly curable

Acute halitosis posts goes here
KL123
Sheriff
Body Odor due to ‘portosystemic shunt’ possibly curable

Post by KL123 »

I was reading this article on another board and looks like this surgical procedure which is already practiced to treat a well known medical condition called "CPSS", helped patients getting rid of TMAU or body odor - and I am wondering, can this relate to us unlucky bastards?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6856509/

Background: Food travels through the stomach into the gut. Both organs are surrounded by blood vessels. Nutrients but also volatile molecules enter these blood vessels. They transport the blood including nutrients and volatiles from the stomach and gut to the liver. By passing the liver, these molecules (nutrients, volatiles) mostly undergo changes. Odorous compounds get for instance transformed into odourless ones. Only (!) after passing the liver, the blood enters the systemic blood circulation. That means, nutrients and volatiles get distributed within the whole body.

However, if some portal veins bypass the liver, no conversion of these odorous compounds into odourless can happen. Odorous compounds end up in the whole body which can lead to symptoms of trimethylaminuria.

This condition may be congenital (present from birth) or acquired. It can be managed by surgery and in some cases, everything is fine afterwards.

Peach
Total Newbie
Re: Body Odor due to ‘portosystemic shunt’ possibly curable

Post by Peach »

Thanks for the info, that's really interesting !
Celine

Post by Celine »

Interesting article but i did not really understand what kind of surgery it is.
Jimi Stein
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by Jimi Stein »

in some cases everything is normal? Isn't that a huge risk?
This is me, Jimi Stein, I created this site in December 2005. Welcome.
simple
Advanced

Post by simple »

Hi KL123, thank you very much for sharing this information! Since you mentioned in your other posts your bb is hereditary, have you looked into this possible cause yourself?
KL123 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:51 am I was reading this article on another board and looks like this surgical procedure which is already practiced to treat a well known medical condition called "CPSS", helped patients getting rid of TMAU or body odor - and I am wondering, can this relate to us unlucky bastards?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6856509/

Background: Food travels through the stomach into the gut. Both organs are surrounded by blood vessels. Nutrients but also volatile molecules enter these blood vessels. They transport the blood including nutrients and volatiles from the stomach and gut to the liver. By passing the liver, these molecules (nutrients, volatiles) mostly undergo changes. Odorous compounds get for instance transformed into odourless ones. Only (!) after passing the liver, the blood enters the systemic blood circulation. That means, nutrients and volatiles get distributed within the whole body.

However, if some portal veins bypass the liver, no conversion of these odorous compounds into odourless can happen. Odorous compounds end up in the whole body which can lead to symptoms of trimethylaminuria.

This condition may be congenital (present from birth) or acquired. It can be managed by surgery and in some cases, everything is fine afterwards.
Jimi Stein
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by Jimi Stein »

I have read about that a year ago. It is scary....
This is me, Jimi Stein, I created this site in December 2005. Welcome.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic