Your Email Address:

First Name:

Long time sufferer from the Philippines

Tell us your story with bad breath
sickandtiredofbb
Total Newbie

Long time sufferer from the Philippines

Post by sickandtiredofbb »

Hey fellow bb sufferers. I've been a long time lurker here and finally decided to post.

I've been had bb for over 15 years and have wasted so much time, effort and money trying to find a damn cure but to no avail. Like many of you, I have meticulous oral hygiene. I brush after every meal, use a tongue scraper and an interdental brush, floss and keep hydrated. I do this after every meal and even after eating snacks. I'm afraid of offending others so I rinse with mouthwash just before I meet with friends and other people. I've tried oil pulling, activated charcoal, pro-biotics, thera breath, zinc tablets and a bunch of other stuff which I can no longer remember. Sadly none of them ever worked for me. It's just so demoralizing and depressing knowing the bb persists despite doing all of this.

I've have my teeth and gums looked at by countless dentists as well as periodontist. They all say that my teeth and gums are perfectly fine. I let one of them know of my concerns regarding my bb and he flat out told me that there was no cure for it. You can imagine how devastated I felt when he told me. At this point, I'm starting to think he is right. He told me it wasn't coming from my mouth and could be from the stomach or nose but he said I shouldn't bother going to an ENT or gastro to have it checked. He just told me to carry some mints. Thanks a f*ucking lot doc.

I still decided to have myself checked and have seen 2 ENT's so far. The first one said I had tonsil stones and he proceeded to take 2 of them out. I asked if I could get a tonsillectomy and he said no. He explained my tonsils small/medium size so there was no point getting one if I only get stones occassionaly. It took him like 2 minutes to check my tonsils, which is why I am pretty concerned that he may have not gotten everything out. The second ENT was far worse. I told him about my trip to the first ENT and wanted a second opinion on the tonsillectomy. When he checked my mouth it took less than 10 seconds.Can he even make a proper diagnosis with how quickly he checked? Seems really unprofessional of him imo. Anyway, he concluded that I had GERD and prescribed me Vonoprazan and Domperidone for 2 weeks. I don't even know if I want to come back. I really feel as if I'm burning money here.. Should I go ahead with the tonsillectomy? My next step is getting a proper diagnosis for h. pylori but this is a problem since there is no test being offerred in my country.

I noticed that my bb is gone when I'm full. After eating I have decent breath for 1-2 hours. At the 3rd or 4th hour mark its really bad. Brushing doesn't help. The smell comes back in like 5 to 15 minutes. People cover their noses when speaking to me, they avoid sitting in front of me when eating, etc. Seeing their reactions is truly heartbreaking. Whenever I'm in the office or outside, I bring tons of snacks and have to eat like half a meal before lunch so that I don't embarass myself when I eat with other people. This habit became my way of masking my bb to make it somewhat manageable.

Can anyone explain to me why this is? It's not keto breath right? 4 hours is way to short for your body to go into ketoacidosis.

Thanks for reading guys. I truly hope things will get better for us.

jayline502
Total Newbie
Re: Long time sufferer from the Philippines

Post by jayline502 »

Me too I noticed that as soon as I start eating bb is gone well I wonder why that was 2 years ago now even if I eat I remains the same did the prescription work for u? maybe we have the same cause of bb
Gelonaxy

Post by Gelonaxy »

Hi!!
What kind of smell is it exactly? Do you have post nasal drip? Nasal bb? The doctors need more symptoms. Only the smell is not enough for the most doctors...
I don't know if it's the tonsills. An ENT said to me years ago they are healthy. The second ENT (I said that they are often inflamed...): tonsillectomy. Then they were removed and bb still there... For me, they weren't the cause. I should have listened to the first ENT, but I was and a I am desperate... it's a try. Is it expensive in your country to go to a doctor?
sickandtiredofbb
Total Newbie

I am assuming its smells like feces/poop. I had the chance to hear some side comments made by those around me sometime ago. They described me as having "fart-breath". Another time I went to church and right after mass ended ended I talked with one of my nephews. After saying hello he immediately wrinkled his nose and said "it smells. did someone just fart?". I am not able to smell the foul odor myself. I do the lick test but from what I've read is not really that reliable. Neither can my parents.

I don't' really have have any symptoms for GERD which is why I'm hesitant in going back to the second ENT. Both ENT's also checkced my nose and said everything was clear. I don't have any nasal bb either. It just comes from the mouth. I was hoping the ENT would be more receptive to the idea of me getting a tonsillectomy which is why I went to him. Though I seldom get tonsil stones and it may not be the cause of my bb I'm left clueless as what else to do. I have to risk getting a tonsillectomy if I want a chance at having a normal life.
Gelonaxy

Post by Gelonaxy »

If you don't have a nasal bb, it could actually be the tonsils. The stones can smell very horrible. But watch out for smell on the gums. Smell it regularly. If the smell is gone after eating, the bacteria could be covered for a short time.
Post nasal drip excluded? Both nostrils free?
Tongue coated? Wisdom teeth?
sickandtiredofbb
Total Newbie

Yes, I post nasal drip is excluded. Doctor checked my nose and there is no problem but he did not specifically look for nasal polyps.

Tongue has a white coating in the middle part. I asked my dentist about this and he said its normal. I had my wisdom teeth removed.
Gelonaxy

Post by Gelonaxy »

If you had nasal polyps, you would have nasal bb. The ENT should at least examine your nose and throat with an endoscope or do a CT. But the tonsills could actually be the cause for you.
But also test 2 weeks PPI for the stomach / GERD.
Gingin

Post by Gingin »

Since you asked, I would suggest that you don’t get the tonsillectomy. Many others who post on this platform have seen no effect after the procedure. Furthermore it means more antibiotics until you heal. We all know that it was antibiotics that got us here in the first place. I think every post I’ve read has been by someone who’s had a history of taking antibiotics. Interesting that your bb stops after you eat. I wonder if perhaps at least for some types of bb, it’s due to the digestive Byproducts. Bb stops when you eat but comes back after 2 hours. Depending on what you ate, it will take a minimum of 2 hrs and Often more to digest (fresh fruits and some veggies excepted) in the stomach. Could the bb be from the gasses produced as byproducts From your food? Wish I knew more at this point But I’ll look for answers.
Freshhope
Junior

Post by Freshhope »

I have a few Filipino friends I would say they react less than most other people . Maybe just friendly people...

I too am a long time sufferer. I blocked it out for a few years and worked and made money. But recently I thought I can’t keep
Living like this. There’s hundreds of products to try and it is an expensive journey... hopefully I stumble onto something that works

I really would be wary of surgeries... our issue I belive is nothing you can just cut away. The best hope we have is for some type of enzyme ,probiotic, diet , supplement that will give us relief . Even something for attending social events or job interviews. Something that will let us prosper in life a little
CureSeeker15

Post by CureSeeker15 »

sickandtiredofbb wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:30 am Hey fellow bb sufferers. I've been a long time lurker here and finally decided to post.

I've been had bb for over 15 years and have wasted so much time, effort and money trying to find a damn cure but to no avail. Like many of you, I have meticulous oral hygiene. I brush after every meal, use a tongue scraper and an interdental brush, floss and keep hydrated. I do this after every meal and even after eating snacks. I'm afraid of offending others so I rinse with mouthwash just before I meet with friends and other people. I've tried oil pulling, activated charcoal, pro-biotics, thera breath, zinc tablets and a bunch of other stuff which I can no longer remember. Sadly none of them ever worked for me. It's just so demoralizing and depressing knowing the bb persists despite doing all of this.

I've have my teeth and gums looked at by countless dentists as well as periodontist. They all say that my teeth and gums are perfectly fine. I let one of them know of my concerns regarding my bb and he flat out told me that there was no cure for it. You can imagine how devastated I felt when he told me. At this point, I'm starting to think he is right. He told me it wasn't coming from my mouth and could be from the stomach or nose but he said I shouldn't bother going to an ENT or gastro to have it checked. He just told me to carry some mints. Thanks a f*ucking lot doc.

I still decided to have myself checked and have seen 2 ENT's so far. The first one said I had tonsil stones and he proceeded to take 2 of them out. I asked if I could get a tonsillectomy and he said no. He explained my tonsils small/medium size so there was no point getting one if I only get stones occassionaly. It took him like 2 minutes to check my tonsils, which is why I am pretty concerned that he may have not gotten everything out. The second ENT was far worse. I told him about my trip to the first ENT and wanted a second opinion on the tonsillectomy. When he checked my mouth it took less than 10 seconds.Can he even make a proper diagnosis with how quickly he checked? Seems really unprofessional of him imo. Anyway, he concluded that I had GERD and prescribed me Vonoprazan and Domperidone for 2 weeks. I don't even know if I want to come back. I really feel as if I'm burning money here.. Should I go ahead with the tonsillectomy? My next step is getting a proper diagnosis for h. pylori but this is a problem since there is no test being offerred in my country.

I noticed that my bb is gone when I'm full. After eating I have decent breath for 1-2 hours. At the 3rd or 4th hour mark its really bad. Brushing doesn't help. The smell comes back in like 5 to 15 minutes. People cover their noses when speaking to me, they avoid sitting in front of me when eating, etc. Seeing their reactions is truly heartbreaking. Whenever I'm in the office or outside, I bring tons of snacks and have to eat like half a meal before lunch so that I don't embarass myself when I eat with other people. This habit became my way of masking my bb to make it somewhat manageable.

Can anyone explain to me why this is? It's not keto breath right? 4 hours is way to short for your body to go into ketoacidosis.

Thanks for reading guys. I truly hope things will get better for us.
the hardest part is choosing the right doctor for us, a lot of doctor also prescribed me of useless medicine that didn't work, you said the smell is gone when you're full in my case the food i ate makes my breath worse if i brush my teeth and tongue the smell is gone for a minute then my mouth starts to dry and smell bad again
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic