Your Email Address:

First Name:

Saliva smell

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
rayrayx3
Total Newbie

Saliva smell

Post by rayrayx3 »

Hey guys. I’m new here i don’t really know how this works but I have a few questions. I suffer from BB or suffered im not really sure. I used to have bad breath I definitely know that but since I started taking care more and brushing my tongue a few times a day I feel like it has gone or is at least a bit less. I’m obsessed with my breath at the moment. I use hydrogen peroxide in the morning (btw does anyone know how long I can use it for or if there’s any risks) and it seems to work..
I also think I have PND and since I tried to remove most of the mucus in my mouth, my breath and taste have felt better.

Well what I actually wanted to ask if the licking wrist test is accurate? My saliva smells of nothing sometimes but during the day it has a vinegar smell. Not even a foul smell or a very disgusting one it’s just vinegary lol. And I asked multiple people and begged them to be honest with me and made them swear to tell me the truth and they said that my breath doesn’t smell bad? apparently it’s just warm..?
(except for when I ate onions my sister actually told me I smell of onions)

And it’s driving me crazy because I can‘t smell anything i used to be able to smell my own breath when it was bad but now i don’t smell anything and apparently the others don’t.. but why does my dried saliva have this smell??

also i made my sister who had morning breath lick her wrist and let me smell it (i know disgusting haha) and it smelled way worse than what I smell on my wrist when I lick it.

Can anyone help because i’m driving myself crazy..

blowinyouaway
Re: Saliva smell

Post by blowinyouaway »

that’s crazy... i’m having the exacttt same problem now oh my god. i used to have really bad breath back in high school and i could even smell it myself and got teased sometimes. after i got a job and had the means i tried different things for bad breath because i’m determined for a cure. I have a regime down, I too use hydrogen peroxide right
before brushing and then i use oral b mouthwash after and I can’t smell my breath anymore but i’m afraid that maybe I still have the problem. I blow my breath into my mask constantly and smell nothing. I take a clean finger and wipe my throat and smell nothing. lick my wrist nothing. So finally I asked my mom to be honest and tell me after we had breakfast and I literally blew in her face and she smelled nothing and trust me she would’ve told me. Could it be halitophobia??
rayrayx3
Total Newbie

Post by rayrayx3 »

tbh it could be and it probably is. i’m just so used to not speak directly in anyone’s face or because of my high school experience where i actually had halitosis i just always thought i have chronic halitosis. it’s normal for everyone to have bad breath sometimes i wouldn’t even mind that it’s just that i am so paranoid at the moment because no one can smell anything bad only the food that i ate sometimes like if i eat crisps my mouth kind of smelled like it but not a foul or rotten smell. My only problem is that even though they say it doesn’t smell bad I lick my wrist and I smell something. It isn’t like super bad but my dried saliva doesn’t smell of nothing you know? does your dried saliva smell of nothing at all?
rayrayx3
Total Newbie

Post by rayrayx3 »

blowinyouaway wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:38 am that’s crazy... i’m having the exacttt same problem now oh my god. i used to have really bad breath back in high school and i could even smell it myself and got teased sometimes. after i got a job and had the means i tried different things for bad breath because i’m determined for a cure. I have a regime down, I too use hydrogen peroxide right
before brushing and then i use oral b mouthwash after and I can’t smell my breath anymore but i’m afraid that maybe I still have the problem. I blow my breath into my mask constantly and smell nothing. I take a clean finger and wipe my throat and smell nothing. lick my wrist nothing. So finally I asked my mom to be honest and tell me after we had breakfast and I literally blew in her face and she smelled nothing and trust me she would’ve told me. Could it be halitophobia??
tbh it could be and it probably is. i’m just so used to not speak directly in anyone’s face or because of my high school experience where i actually had halitosis i just always thought i have chronic halitosis. it’s normal for everyone to have bad breath sometimes i wouldn’t even mind that it’s just that i am so paranoid at the moment because no one can smell anything bad only the food that i ate sometimes like if i eat crisps my mouth kind of smelled like it but not a foul or rotten smell. My only problem is that even though they say it doesn’t smell bad I lick my wrist and I smell something. It isn’t like super bad but my dried saliva doesn’t smell of nothing you know? does your dried saliva smell of nothing at all?
blowinyouaway

Post by blowinyouaway »

rayrayx3 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:26 pm
blowinyouaway wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:38 am that’s crazy... i’m having the exacttt same problem now oh my god. i used to have really bad breath back in high school and i could even smell it myself and got teased sometimes. after i got a job and had the means i tried different things for bad breath because i’m determined for a cure. I have a regime down, I too use hydrogen peroxide right
yeah i also smell nothing at all. even in the morning . but maybe our problem isn’t our tongue. My tongue is always pink. I used to have an issue of constant white tongue but not anymore. I’m starting to think that, for me anyway, my nasal passages leading up to the my throat get really dry. And of course dryness causes the smell. I also have pnd but when I rinse my nose it gets really dry. I’m just using a nasal spray now.
rayrayx3
Total Newbie

Post by rayrayx3 »

Mhm maybe! What nasal spray do you use? Sadly my saliva does actually have a smell but not a bad one. But i’m glad yours doesn’t. People still tell me they don’t smell anything i’m really frustrated
blowinyouaway

Post by blowinyouaway »

rayrayx3 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:25 am Mhm maybe! What nasal spray do you use? Sadly my saliva does actually have a smell but not a bad one. But i’m glad yours doesn’t. People still tell me they don’t smell anything i’m really frustrated
I use Anefrin in the red bottle. But yeah no. I think it’s normal for your mouth to smell like SOMETHING you know what I mean? Like i’ve had people talk closely to my face and I could like smell something but like it just smelled.. normal i guess. it wasn’t bad it wasn’t minty but in no way was it offensive so if that’s your case then I think you’re fine. When you ask people they’re probably trying to smell that sulfuric smell or maybe a fecal smell and that’s why they tell us we’re good, I guess it’s cause we really are and haven’t come to terms with the fact that our troubles could be over. Of course there is that fear that we’re just oblivious to our own smell and that maybe it really is bad. But for some reason I really just cannot fully trust that my bad breath is gone. I still avoid close conversations and everything. I just wish I knew for sure
rayrayx3
Total Newbie

Post by rayrayx3 »

Do you still notice a smell on your tonsils? I haven’t for a while and I think maybe I still feel like it smells because of my tonsils smelling a bit. Because no one else can smell anything but I try to open my mouth and blow in my nose and i still don’t feel super fresh you know. I still have a bad taste sometimes. And yeah well i’m gonna try to not be so obsessed with my breath because it’s really f***** with my head. I told my family they should just tell me if my breath is bad and they will 🥺 Maybe you should try that too.
rayrayx3
Total Newbie

Post by rayrayx3 »

and whenever my family or friends tell my they smell something it’s never the „morning breath“ or poop smell but like a sweet smell after i eat lots of crisps or chocolate or onions after eating onions or just food you know? and i have to accept that it’s normal i guess it is idk !! i never really smell peoples breaths after they eat hahah but i don’t mind smelling of the food i just ate i just need my mind to understand it ugh!
Emanuela hoxha
Junior

Post by Emanuela hoxha »

Hello when you clean your tounge you can smell it the tounge scrapper directly after you clean it if the smell is normal not badd tou dont have bad breath .
rayrayx3
Total Newbie

Post by rayrayx3 »

Hey! i just did it and my plastic tongue scarper smelled of nothing! but when i licked my wrist it smelled of vinegar. maybe it’s my skin that makes it smell like that i don’t know
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Rayrayx3:

Welcome to the Forum and I'm a newbie as well - joined almost 2 months ago and have found people's stories/experiences very helpful.

I think there are many people who do suffer from 'halitosisphobia' and it sounds as if you could be one of those people. But I think it's important to keep exploring etc., especially when you've had an issue that started in highs school, and that experience has left you wondering throughout your life, whether you do have chronic bad breath or it's a belief that's firmly entrenched itself in a traumatic way. I guess the best thing for you to do is to keep asking family members and friends to be totally honest about your breath, and along with the 'licking test' etc. if there is still no odor, then perhaps your high school experience has left you ulta sensitive about your breath. Just a guess...

I have suffered from chronic bb since early childhood and it seriously impacted my public/high school experiences. I was shunned for all those years for having bb and was ridiculed/bullied throughout my educational years. My family was well aware that out of 6 siblings, I was the only one who consistently reeked from a foul odor emanating every single day of my life, from my mouth. I've posted my story if you want to have a read through, as it's a bit long to re-post here, and I've also found a possible solution for myself, which has been a recent, exciting discovery.

But I too have used a hydrogen peroxide rinse, along with tongue scraping, whenever I was going to be put in a social situation. This would give me about 4 hours of relief, as long as I didn't eat anything. I didn't use this rinse unless I needed to, especially if I knew there would be an opportunity for intimacy.

What I do know, and as a dentist pointed out to me years ago, is that the hydrogen peroxide instantly killed the germs etc. on the back of my tongue/throat. From what I've researched, it's safe to use on a daily basis as long as you use a 3% concentration of H.P./water, and of course, never swallow! So in my experience, an H.P. solution is a temporary fix but not the cure.

I hope this is helpful and all the best with your discoveries. Do you keep a journal, by chance, on your bb journey, as you try to determine whether there's a psychological aspect at play ?
rayrayx3
Total Newbie

Post by rayrayx3 »

Hey Taylor, thank you. To be honest i’m sure it’s just psychological but that i also suffer from bad breath if i don’t take care of my oral hygiene. Like I wake up with bad breath which is normal I guess but i’m not one of the lucky ones who can go 2 days without brushing their teeth and tongue without having bad breath. I know that I had BB in high school because people would ask oh did someone fart and sometimes my brother or sisters would say that too but no one ever told me that my breath smells just one time I think but that’s when I also smelled it. Now that I take care more and I cant smell anything myself I keep worrying. Like I just asked my sister if she can smell anything bc I have this weird taste in my mouth and she sniffed 3 times and even put her nose in my mouth haha and she said nothing. So I don’t think it’s chronic. I just think I need to take care more of the mucus in the back of my throat and I also use hydrogen peroxide on my tonsils. Like I put my finger in the hydrogen peroxide 3% bottle and smear it over my tonsils because they smell sometimes.
Im glad that hydrogen peroxide works for you. Are you 100% sure that you still have BB after 4 hours? Can you smell it yourself?
Im sure there is a cure / solution :(
blowinyouaway

Post by blowinyouaway »

rayrayx3 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:58 am Do you still notice a smell on your tonsils? I haven’t for a while and I think maybe I still feel like it smells because of my tonsils smelling a bit. Because no one else can smell anything but I try to open my mouth and blow in my nose and i still don’t feel super fresh you know. I still have a bad taste sometimes. And yeah well i’m gonna try to not be so obsessed with my breath because it’s really f***** with my head. I told my family they should just tell me if my breath is bad and they will 🥺 Maybe you should try that too.
not really a “smell” all the time. but i remember i had a tonsil stone that i didn’t know i had and when i spoke my friend smelled it and was like “do you smell that?”. i went home and checked and saw one so i flushed it out. I use a dental syringe i got from amazon and hydrogen peroxide to flush them. But i’ve noticed that certain mouthwashes either bring back my stones or get rid of them completely. since i’ve changed mouthwashes i haven’t had tonsil stones in a month but before that i use to get them every 3 days. hasn’t been a worry since but i still flush once a week as a preventative measure. But get this. I felt a weird taste in my mouth yesterday at work so I asked a coworker that I really trust and she said she didn’t smell anything and was even
confused as to why i was asking. her brows furrowed and she was like “no i don’t smell anything why?” i was like are you sure and she was like yes i would tell you!!. *sigh* mind is playing tricks on me i think
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic