Your Email Address:

First Name:

I can't believe I'm bb free after over a decade!

Acute halitosis posts goes here
Rolisa

Re: I can't believe I'm bb free after over a decade!

Post by Rolisa »

simple wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:59 pm Hi Rolisa, I’m so happy for you to find a solution that works! Thank you for sharing your thoughts & experience.
What kinds of food sensitivities/allergies do you have (meat, dairy, gluten)? How did you test for them? Do you have any sensitivities/allergies to sugar & sweets?

When you did drink protein shakes, did you tolerate them well in terms of bb?

Also, you seem to tolerate well brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, soy without sideffects of bb, do you?
I’m asking because I relate to what you talked about bb, meat and low acidity; however, those plant-based diets with high soy, legumes, brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower all worsen my bb :( So, i was thinking about the ways I can get protein with minimal bb, and so far only almonds don’t worsen my bb.
Yes, I was tested and the doctor said I could not eat dairy nor pork. I was also tested for gluten sensitivity and it came out negative. However, the doctor said that there were cases of people whose bodies did not react well to gluten at all, even though the test was negative. So she asked me to try to do a full gluten free diet for a month and see if my digestion would get better. I did not want that to be true but she was a 100% correct. My digestion improved tremendously and after that I reduced gluten comsumption drastically.

I do not have any sensitivity/allergy to sugar & sweets, as far as I'm aware. I simply reduced the consumption because I felt like it was the best thing to do. I did not want to feed any bacteria that loves this type of stuff.

The protein shakes I used to drink were soy based. I did not feel my bad breath getting worse. The only thing I would feel was me getting bloated, but then I found out that I was consuming too much soy (yoghurts, milk, tofu, protein shake, ice creams, etc). Two doctors of mine also warned me about this over consumption and told me to reduce it. One told me that it increases risk of breast cancer and the other said that it can cause digestive issues ands bloatedness. Which I can confirm. So now I stick to only soy milk (almost everyday with my cereal) and tofu (but not so often). But never both in the same day.

Regarding brussel sprouts, broccoli and etc - Yes, I do not think it directly affects my breath. At least I've never noticed and I eat these quite often (almost daily). The only thing that happens (but I consider normal with these kinds of vegetables), is that you become more gassy.

If I feel myself getting too bloated or gassy, the next day I try to not eat foods that will worsen that. Some foods might not directly give me bad breath, but I feel like if my bloatedness and gassyness reach a certain level, I'd start feeling some changes in terms of odor. So I pay a lot of attention to my reaction to foods. So far so good though. But I just feel that, like it happens with my constipation that definitely affects my bad breath, extreme bloatedness and gassyness can do the same.

Last but not least (and this isn't related to any of your questions) - I recently found out that my late grandmother was allergic to pork and that she couldn't drink sodas. This was an important finding for me because I remember noticing when I was a kid that she had extreme bad breath. So I pretty much changed my diet without knowing that my grandmother might've had the same issues as me. For some reason I always thought that it was an issue that older people tend to have. Please keep in mind that she passed away when I was very young and during these years of suffering with bad breath I have never connected the dots. But yeah, all this time I had no idea she had digestive issues and now can't stop wondering if these issues are hereditary.

Rolisa

Post by Rolisa »

simple wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:02 pm Also, forgot to ask you: do you have (or suspect that you have) leaky gut syndrome?
Thank you in advance! Understanding your experience really helps us.
I started wondering if I had leaky gut after some research. I think I asked my doctor but apparently some of them don't even know what that is. I was already following a plant based and more restricted diet, so I didn't have to adjust my eating habits to see if I could heal my leaky gut, in case that was the issue.

What I did was follow this "treatment" that I saw in a blog where I had to consume high doses of L-Glutamine and take Collagen as well during a period of time. I did that but couldn't notice any change at all.

And, as I mentioned on my original post, I only managed to tackle that last stubborn part of my bad breath when I started focusing again on the oral aspect.
simple
Advanced

Post by simple »

Thank you for your answers, Rolisa!
The possibility of hereditary causes is puzzling - I guess there’re a lot of things in that area that are not yet understood well. But maybe it’s possible if some particularly bad food intolerances are inherited.

The allergy to pork is similar to yours, but the reaction to sodas - do you also notice any negative reaction to sodas? I know that if someone has fructose intolerance (inborn) or acquired fructose sensitivity, they will have bb as a symptom. Sodas are high in fructose and so are other sweetened foods such as corn syrup, molasses, caramel, apple juice and also some fruits. Though you mentioned you can tolerate sweets and fruits fine.

Also, here’re some hereditary metabolic disorders that can cause extraoral (blood-borne) bb (ie from nose & mouth) which I know about:
1) SELENBP-1 mutation causes high dimethylsulfide; this isn’t likely to be related in your case, as this kind of bb will get worse with eating cauliflower/cabbage/etc; the affected people only have bb as a complaint
2)Trimethylaminuria: also probably unlikely, if fish doesn’t aggravate your bb; in that case they have bb & body odour

Then also there’re other ones with more serious symptoms, so are likely to be noticed early in childhood if they are inborn, such as:
3)Hypermethioniemia: high methionine in blood; however, those affected also have additional symptoms to bb; it could be acquired, such as through liver cirrhosis. The offending foods are: chicken, fish, milk, red meat, eggs; lower methionine foods: fruits, nuts, veggies, grains, and beans
Here’s link to a study that lists causes / pathways for hypermethioninemia:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21308989/

4) phenylketonuria - this is unlikely to be missed, as it is usually tested for in newborns.
Rolisa wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:51 pm
simple wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:59 pm Hi Rolisa, I’m so happy for you to find a solution that works! Thank you for sharing your thoughts & experience.
What kinds of food sensitivities/allergies do you have (meat, dairy, gluten)? How did you test for them? Do you have any sensitivities/allergies to sugar & sweets?

Also, you seem to tolerate well brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, soy without sideffects of bb, do you?
I’m asking because I relate to what you talked about bb, meat and low acidity; however, those plant-based diets with high soy, legumes, brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower all worsen my bb :( So, i was thinking about the ways I can get protein with minimal bb, and so far only almonds don’t worsen my bb.
Yes, I was tested and the doctor said I could not eat dairy nor pork. I was also tested for gluten sensitivity and it came out negative. However, the doctor said that there were cases of people whose bodies did not react well to gluten at all, even though the test was negative. So she asked me to try to do a full gluten free diet for a month and see if my digestion would get better. I did not want that to be true but she was a 100% correct. My digestion improved tremendously and after that I reduced gluten comsumption drastically.

I do not have any sensitivity/allergy to sugar & sweets, as far as I'm aware. I simply reduced the consumption because I felt like it was the best thing to do. I did not want to feed any bacteria that loves this type of stuff.

The protein shakes I used to drink were soy based. I did not feel my bad breath getting worse. The only thing I would feel was me getting bloated, but then I found out that I was consuming too much soy (yoghurts, milk, tofu, protein shake, ice creams, etc). Two doctors of mine also warned me about this over consumption and told me to reduce it. One told me that it increases risk of breast cancer and the other said that it can cause digestive issues ands bloatedness. Which I can confirm. So now I stick to only soy milk (almost everyday with my cereal) and tofu (but not so often). But never both in the same day.

Regarding brussel sprouts, broccoli and etc - Yes, I do not think it directly affects my breath. At least I've never noticed and I eat these quite often (almost daily). The only thing that happens (but I consider normal with these kinds of vegetables), is that you become more gassy.

If I feel myself getting too bloated or gassy, the next day I try to not eat foods that will worsen that. Some foods might not directly give me bad breath, but I feel like if my bloatedness and gassyness reach a certain level, I'd start feeling some changes in terms of odor. So I pay a lot of attention to my reaction to foods. So far so good though. But I just feel that, like it happens with my constipation that definitely affects my bad breath, extreme bloatedness and gassyness can do the same.

Last but not least (and this isn't related to any of your questions) - I recently found out that my late grandmother was allergic to pork and that she couldn't drink sodas. This was an important finding for me because I remember noticing when I was a kid that she had extreme bad breath. So I pretty much changed my diet without knowing that my grandmother might've had the same issues as me. For some reason I always thought that it was an issue that older people tend to have. Please keep in mind that she passed away when I was very young and during these years of suffering with bad breath I have never connected the dots. But yeah, all this time I had no idea she had digestive issues and now can't stop wondering if these issues are hereditary.
simple
Advanced

Post by simple »

Maybe the oral hygiene is especially important for us with GI issues, as the microbiome of the gut & mouth are very interconnected. It’s a valuable message though - to try to tackle the bb issue from different angles.
Rolisa wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:20 pm
I started wondering if I had leaky gut after some research. I think I asked my doctor but apparently some of them don't even know what that is. I was already following a plant based and more restricted diet, so I didn't have to adjust my eating habits to see if I could heal my leaky gut, in case that was the issue.

What I did was follow this "treatment" that I saw in a blog where I had to consume high doses of L-Glutamine and take Collagen as well during a period of time. I did that but couldn't notice any change at all.

And, as I mentioned on my original post, I only managed to tackle that last stubborn part of my bad breath when I started focusing again on the oral aspect.
Rolisa

Post by Rolisa »

The thing is - It's been so long since I drank sodas that I don't even know anymore. While I tried fish and eggs again, for example, to see if my breath would get worse, I didn't do the same with others things such as sodas because I didn't feel like I was missing anything. We've always heard soda is bad for our bodies anyway, so I removed it from my life for good.

Now knowing that my grandmother couldn't drink it and that there is a possibility we have similar issues, I'm really not planning on drinking again. But yeah, other than that, I eat sweet foods (not overly sweet though) and fruits just fine.

Here are other things that one of my doctors told me to avoid eating but I still eat some of them without much complaint:
Mayonnaise
Garlic
Onions
Cabbage
Brussels Sprouts
Artichokes
Eggs
Etc (he said foods from the same group)

I'm not sure about mayo, but I feel like everything falls into that category of high sulfur foods, right?

I pretty much reduced the comsumption of garlic and onion but never stopped using both in my food. I just can't imagine eating something that wasn't seasoned "properly". But yeah, these have an effect on ones breath, even on people that don't suffer from chronic halitosis, as everyone knows. But in our case, it might be even worse because I've noticed my bad breath reducing when I slowed down on the consumption.

As I mentioned on a previous post, I eat brussels sprouts and eggs without any noticeable change. So no reduction when it comes to these.

Regarding the rest - I eat occasionally. I wouldn't eat everyday to avoid being gassy and bloated, but I haven't stopped eating.
simple wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:02 am Thank you for your answers, Rolisa!
The possibility of hereditary causes is puzzling - I guess there’re a lot of things in that area that are not yet understood well. But maybe it’s possible if some particularly bad food intolerances are inherited.

The allergy to pork is similar to yours, but the reaction to sodas - do you also notice any negative reaction to sodas? I know that if someone has fructose intolerance (inborn) or acquired fructose sensitivity, they will have bb as a symptom. Sodas are high in fructose and so are other sweetened foods such as corn syrup, molasses, caramel, apple juice and also some fruits. Though you mentioned you can tolerate sweets and fruits fine.

Also, here’re some hereditary metabolic disorders that can cause extraoral (blood-borne) bb (ie from nose & mouth) which I know about:
1) SELENBP-1 mutation causes high dimethylsulfide; this isn’t likely to be related in your case, as this kind of bb will get worse with eating cauliflower/cabbage/etc; the affected people only have bb as a complaint
2)Trimethylaminuria: also probably unlikely, if fish doesn’t aggravate your bb; in that case they have bb & body odour

Then also there’re other ones with more serious symptoms, so are likely to be noticed early in childhood if they are inborn, such as:
3)Hypermethioniemia: high methionine in blood; however, those affected also have additional symptoms to bb; it could be acquired, such as through liver cirrhosis. The offending foods are: chicken, fish, milk, red meat, eggs; lower methionine foods: fruits, nuts, veggies, grains, and beans
Here’s link to a study that lists causes / pathways for hypermethioninemia:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21308989/

4) phenylketonuria - this is unlikely to be missed, as it is usually tested for in newborns.
Rolisa wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:51 pm

simple
Advanced

Post by simple »

Yes, those are high in sulfur, but it’s good that you can tolerate them well :)
Rolisa wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:05 pm The thing is - It's been so long since I drank sodas that I don't even know anymore. While I tried fish and eggs again, for example, to see if my breath would get worse, I didn't do the same with others things such as sodas because I didn't feel like I was missing anything. We've always heard soda is bad for our bodies anyway, so I removed it from my life for good.

Now knowing that my grandmother couldn't drink it and that there is a possibility we have similar issues, I'm really not planning on drinking again. But yeah, other than that, I eat sweet foods (not overly sweet though) and fruits just fine.

Here are other things that one of my doctors told me to avoid eating but I still eat some of them without much complaint:
Mayonnaise
Garlic
Onions
Cabbage
Brussels Sprouts
Artichokes
Eggs
Etc (he said foods from the same group)

I'm not sure about mayo, but I feel like everything falls into that category of high sulfur foods, right?

I pretty much reduced the comsumption of garlic and onion but never stopped using both in my food. I just can't imagine eating something that wasn't seasoned "properly". But yeah, these have an effect on ones breath, even on people that don't suffer from chronic halitosis, as everyone knows. But in our case, it might be even worse because I've noticed my bad breath reducing when I slowed down on the consumption.

As I mentioned on a previous post, I eat brussels sprouts and eggs without any noticeable change. So no reduction when it comes to these.

Regarding the rest - I eat occasionally. I wouldn't eat everyday to avoid being gassy and bloated, but I haven't stopped eating.
survivor974
Total Newbie

Post by survivor974 »

How does it goes for OP ?
Fatima Rahman
Total Newbie
United States of America

Post by Fatima Rahman »

What did you use?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic