Your Email Address:

First Name:

My simple routine.. and it works!

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
mtr
Advanced

My simple routine.. and it works!

Post by mtr »

I won't go into details about my history or the extensive list of tests I have done so far or supplements I used. I'm a member of this group about a decade now.

Basically I have excluded anything acid, especially from the most basic, innocent things we do everyday.

- Toothpaste with no acid
- Bottled water as alkaline as possible
- NO MOUTHWASH
- I follow the 'Acid Watcher's Diet' by Dr. Aviv.. who happens to be an ENT (Honestly this diet is far better than any medication or supplement I have used so far, and believe me I have used many..)

I no longer have fecal taste/ breath, I have pink tongue constantly, I do use the tongue scraper and even the slight white coating I might have once in a while it is easily removed, the sore throat was healed within days of following the above, no PND, no constant throat or mouth dryness.

Oh.. and no reactions from others when I speak in their face!! O:)

That's all!!! I hope even one of you finds this routine helpful as it was for me!!

Healed? No.. as when I did some inconcistencies especially with my diet, all or most of the above symptoms returned..

Anomi

Re: My simple routine.. and it works!

Post by Anomi »

I'm happy for you for finding the right way for you!
What is that diet about? What do you eat?
Did you have also bb from the nose?
Jimi Stein
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by Jimi Stein »

can you give us samples of what you eat and what you dont eat?
This is me, Jimi Stein, I created this site in December 2005. Welcome.
mtr
Advanced

Post by mtr »

Hello all,

Its not only what I eat, its the combination and when I eat it.. I was diagnosed with LPR 3 years ago. Ever since I have done many treatments, a combination of PPIs (and once plus a strong antibiotic course) and following the instructions of the Gastroenterologist and ENT on what NOT to eat. The fact that after these exhausting treatments I didnt see any improvement or at times I would feel worse, made me sceptical if I even suffered from LPR as apart from sore throat, PND, white coating (at times I would eradicate that symptom) , bitter/fecal taste and bad breath I didnt have any other obvious symptoms related to reflux, eg heartburn, or acid refluxing in my throat. But that's the reason why its called silent reflux right?!

2 months ago I was 1 step before making a huge mistake. I was about to have a nissen fundoplication as I was exhausted. I was pushing the doctors without them having any results from any tests indicating that my issue is that serious that I would need to have an operation. The thing was that after doing exhausting treatments, my sore throat was still there.. And I felt so disappointed!! And they were insisting that my symptoms were LPR and I was exhausted that the treatments were not working. So I promised to myself no more pills and I would resolve it in a natural way.

Please give the book a shot. At the beginning there is an extensive explanation of how pepsin works outside stomach. Some symptoms we have that we dont even consider that are related to stomach, eg PND, or mucus in throat, or sore throat, its all because of pepsin. Pepsin doesnt only travel all the way up only in the form of liquid, but also through the airway. It remains there and is activated with anything acidic passing from there before it even results in the stomach.

The PND or mucus in throat is a result of our body's effort to be protected from pepsin. However because of that, bacterias thrive in our mouth and we get that constant bitter or fecal taste.

The reason why I found this book a genious so far is because apart from the theoretical basis Dr Aviv writes a specific 28 day plan with recipes of what to eat every day. Not only what NOT to eat or avoid, but actual recipes!! Delicious Recipes! With fish, poultry, vegetables, snacks, smoothies etc. One more thing is that through this diet I dont leave my stomach empty as every 2-2,5 hours I eat a meal or a snack.

This Diet is not a Non Acid Diet or Alkaline Diet.. Is a low acid diet based on combination. Eg the smoothie recipe I drink: mixed berries, banana, almond milk. Berries are acidic, however because almond milk is a high alkaline beverage the combination of all makes the beverage neutral to alkaline.

Now, the toothpaste and mouthwash part it was my way to support even more this effort and it does really work. Think about it, the only things we use every day like maniacs and find temporary relief because they fight bacterias, are probably the ones that also contribute in maintaining or worsening the problem as they dont fight the root cause. Let your sore throat heal and my suggestion if you need to do mouthwash, its better if you use delluted baking soda rather than alcohol or non alcohol free mouthwash. Baking soda deactivates pepsin!! Oh.. And for heaven's sake.. NO GUMS!! Any gums.. The mouth feels much more hydrated because there is no coating or bitter taste, so no need to use gum to produce more saliva, especially mint gums that are worsening reflux. Its been maybe more than two years for me to eat gum!

In regards to Anomi's question about having symptoms from nose, I would say that I had PND and runny nose all the time, especially in the morning. Who would have thought that these symptoms were related to stomach huh? I believe I didnt have smell coming from the nose, and if I did it was very slight on really bad days.
mtr
Advanced

Post by mtr »

Many people who found relief with Raymond's breathing technique or baking soda or me now with this diet or the D-Limonene, maybe we are actually fighting the same "enemy"; pepsin!
simple
Advanced

Post by simple »

Pepsin found in saliva of patients with LPR (presumably altering ph): ‘’ It was through the use of an immunoexperiment to detect pepsin in saliva samples collected in the pharynx of LPR carriers that Knight et al (2005) found co-relation of the presence of the enzyme in pharyngeal pH lower or equal to 4 in 22% of the study sample. Such authors suggest that the detection of pepsin in the saliva, determined by immunoassay, would be a sensible and non-invasive method to detect LPR(20).
Detectable pepsin levels remain in the larynx epithelium after the reflux. Such pepsin could be without activity once the Ph in that place is 6.8. However, such enzyme could be reactivated by a subsequent pH reduction. Pepsin remains stable up to 8.0 pH(21).’’
simple
Advanced

Post by simple »

D-limonene works for GERD: ‘’ Being a solvent of cholesterol, d-limonene has been used clinically to dissolve cholesterol-containing gallstones. Because of its gastric acid neutralizing effect and its support of normal peristalsis, it has also been used for relief of heartburn and gastroesophageal reflux (GERD).’’
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18072821/
simple
Advanced

Post by simple »

Mtr, how do you find non-acidic toothpaste? How do you determine ph of toothpaste? Thank you in advance.
Kaybay
Junior
United States of America

Post by Kaybay »

How bad was your breath before? Was it far reaching or only when you were close to someones face
mtr
Advanced

Post by mtr »

simple wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:54 am Mtr, how do you find non-acidic toothpaste? How do you determine ph of toothpaste? Thank you in advance.
Hello simple and many thanks for sharing the articles. What I use is a toothpaste with enzymes and prebiotics. The taste of it is far more neutral than the regular toothpaste and that leaves my throat space to heal. Its not completely non acid.

Its called Zendium what I use.
mtr
Advanced

Post by mtr »

Kaybay wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:03 am How bad was your breath before? Was it far reaching or only when you were close to someones face
My breath was very bad. It could be traced for sure from people 4-5 meters away.
simple
Advanced

Post by simple »

Mtr, did you have symptoms of high stomach acid before, such as sour taste in the mouth? I’m asking because it’s actually possible to have GERD aggravated by low stomach acid: in that case the sphincter doesn’t close because of low acidity. Thank you for giving us answers :)

https://bellalindemann.com/blog/causes- ... -treatment
mtr wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:11 am
Hello simple and many thanks for sharing the articles. What I use is a toothpaste with enzymes and prebiotics. The taste of it is far more neutral than the regular toothpaste and that leaves my throat space to heal. Its not completely non acid.

mtr
Advanced

Post by mtr »

simple wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:28 pm Mtr, did you have symptoms of high stomach acid before, such as sour taste in the mouth? I’m asking because it’s actually possible to have GERD aggravated by low stomach acid: in that case the sphincter doesn’t close because of low acidity. Thank you for giving us answers :)

I did, in combination with lots of other symptoms. Sometimmes i would have sour taste, others metallic, others fecal.. However, due to the irritation in my throat and especially around my voicebox, doctors told me I have LPR, indicating it was because of excessive stomach acid and loosen sphinctir. However it is clear to me that the doctors dont have extensive knowledge on LPR as it is a newly introduced term for the medical community and they only advice low acid diet and PPIs. I. Dont think it was a treatment customised to my needs, thats why I didn't see any serious improvement and at times I would feel worse.

So did I have low or high stomach acid? I don't really know..
simple
Advanced

Post by simple »

Hi Mtr, Are you still bb free? Did you exclude acidic foods from your diet? I guess if it solved your case, maybe it was high acidity after all…
But if it was high acidity, then I’m perplexed as to why the acid suppressing meds didn’t help. Did they worsen your bb or there was no effect? For me, those meds worsened bb, which probably implies I don’t have high acidity.
Have you ever done the baking soda acidity test? I did it once and it took ~5mins, but had extreme heartburn afterwards (which could be caused either by high or low acidity).
mtr wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:34 pm
simple wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:28 pm Mtr, did you have symptoms of high stomach acid before, such as sour taste in the mouth? I’m asking because it’s actually possible to have GERD aggravated by low stomach acid: in that case the sphincter doesn’t close because of low acidity. Thank you for giving us answers :)

I did, in combination with lots of other symptoms. Sometimmes i would have sour taste, others metallic, others fecal.. However, due to the irritation in my throat and especially around my voicebox, doctors told me I have LPR, indicating it was because of excessive stomach acid and loosen sphinctir. However it is clear to me that the doctors dont have extensive knowledge on LPR as it is a newly introduced term for the medical community and they only advice low acid diet and PPIs. I. Dont think it was a treatment customised to my needs, thats why I didn't see any serious improvement and at times I would feel worse.

So did I have low or high stomach acid? I don't really know..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic