Your Email Address:

First Name:

Bad breath caused by hypothermia?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
HereAmINow
Total Newbie

Bad breath caused by hypothermia?

Post by HereAmINow »

Hello everybody. This is my first post here. I am a 20yo male.

First of all, know that english is not my mother tongue.

Long story short: I got two kind of reactions to my breath, either it doesn't smell anything (even in the morning said an ex-gf), either it's something very very acute and people run away from me. I've asked people. My family members which I trust told me I did not have a bad breath. But some people literally run away from me. I am pretty sure no one is lying, you have to trust me on this. I was not born last night.So how come? did I ask to myself. How could it be? I couldn't understand a thing.

I got an hypothesis though: I remembered that each time that I was told I had a bad breath was outside, generally in the winter and 100% of the time to my recall in the cold.
I had this friend at school. Everything was going fine until when it began snowing, he would insist for me to brush my teeth telling me I had a bad breath... He wouldn't mention it before or after the snow, curious...
For some reasons I travelled up north last month and it was very cold, and never have I received such a quantity of bad reactions to my breath.
Also, I sometimes feel for a very short moment a metallic taste in the mouth, when it's cold outside. If it's what people smell from me, I understand they wanna run.

I think my blood isn't flowing as good as it does for most people as my hands and feet are generally cold. When it's pretty cold outside (from 5° Celsius) my tongue gets colder too. I suspect I begin to have an unbearable breath from the temperature at which breath is visible.

I'm not a doctor or anything, which I don't trust anyway but this is a whole other topic, but I suspect that low upper body/head/mouth temperature might prevent some chemical reactions from happening, which in turn causes acute bad breath.

To my knowledge this hypothesis is totally new. I've only read french forums though. If you feel you may have my issue, please do answer, I would be very interested to read you.

If you want some more background on my BB experience: I've been conscious of it since I was 10 or so from other children telling me. Since I'm very self-conscious and timid (was), my teen years have been ruined. Yearning for life I asked the people around me if I had a bad breath, so I could overcome this health issue. It turned out that I apparently didn't have a bad breath which I couldn't believe. From this moment I opened up to the world, did a lot of hitching and travelling, met a lot of people. I had more human relationships in three months than in the rest of my life. Was great, I talked to people looking at them in the eyes which was a dream-come-true. Until the cold came and I began to receive negative reaction to my breath, especially after I slept in the cold or when I was outside, in the cold. Doing a lot of hitching, meeting a lot of people, I know it's not because I ate this or that. I know it's real. What's been haunting me all my life is coming up again, with the winter. If this is only it, it's bad but it's a good news, since I only have to live in the south lol... Anyways, that's it. Hope my hypothesis is right, and that I'll have answers to my post.

Be brave everybody :)

Stevian
Junior

Re: Bad breath caused by hypothermia?

Post by Stevian »

I cannot make sense of your details unless cold air gives you dry mouth. I’ve experienced knockdown bad breath from extremely dry mouth, brought on by marijuana smoke.
HereAmINow
Total Newbie

Post by HereAmINow »

This is certainly a theory. I guess my mouth is drier than for most humans, but: dry mouth means a lot of "white thing" on your tongue, right? If my tongue is not that white, then the BB would not come from there. Furthermore, the BB caused by dry mouth isn't as acute and sharp as the one I'm emanating when it's very cold outside.

Thanks for the reply :)
Stevian
Junior

Post by Stevian »

@ HereAmINow

Dry mouth doesn’t necessarily go with a white coating on the tongue. Yes, often, but not necessarily.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic