Your Email Address:

First Name:

About mouth breathing

Do you have any quesions about bad breath?
telpar
Junior
About mouth breathing

Post by telpar »

What do we know about the relationship between mouth breathing and bad breath?
Do people who sleep breathing by mouth have morning breath that disappear after brushing the teeth, or develop chronic bad breath?
Mouth breathing can modify the oral microbiome, and the oropharinx microbiome?
This could to be interesting for many of us who sleep with mouth open.
Is it possible that some of us simply suffer type 1 halitosis due the habit mouth breathing during night?
Do we want to do a poll?
If you have this problem, comment here please.

Stevian
Junior

Re: About mouth breathing

Post by Stevian »

@ telpar

What is known is that there’s a statistically significant positive correlation between mouth breathing and halitosis.
Citation: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3129960/

It appeals to common sense that mouth breathing tends to dry out the mouth, and we already know there’s a strong positive correlation between dry mouth and halitosis. I can verify that based on personal experience.

But, I don’t think that’s the whole story of type 1 halitosis.
I think chronic and severe type 1 halitosis is multifactorial; that is to say we can point to the main cause, which is an overabundance of certain strains of gram negative oral bacteria, but behind that simple fact lie a number of contributing factors which may vary from person to person. Dry mouth is likely a main contributing factor.

I have an acquaintance who’s taking an antibiotic oral rinse treatment. It’s not a cure. I see talk of “cures” as magical thinking. It’s a treatment that allows the patient a starting point for managing the problem through regular oral hygiene and maintenance oral rinses. The most important ingredient of maintenance oral rinses being chlorine dioxide.
Citation: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6203824/
telpar
Junior

Post by telpar »

Stevian wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:27 pm @ telpar

What is known is that there’s a statistically significant positive correlation between mouth breathing and halitosis.
Hi Stevian

many of us have tried that portable halimeter. I have it.
I suppose a research need a more accurate device.
It appeals to common sense that mouth breathing tends to dry out the mouth, and we already know there’s a strong positive correlation between dry mouth and halitosis. I can verify that based on personal experience.
Dry mouth is cause of halitosis for everyone. The reason is that saliva cannot do its job.

The question is: dry mouth, in particular during night, can to alterate the bacteria profile of the mouth and cause CHRONIC bad breath?
If the answer is yes, it can fail the ecology of the mouth.

The other question is: if a person stop breathing mouth during night, the ecology is fixed and there is a change in his bacteria profile of mouth? How many days takes this process?
I have an acquaintance who’s taking an antibiotic oral rinse treatment. It’s not a cure. I see talk of “cures” as magical thinking. It’s a treatment that allows the patient a starting point for managing the problem through regular oral hygiene and maintenance oral rinses. The most important ingredient of maintenance oral rinses being chlorine dioxide.
I don't know. I have no knowledge about this.
But I have tried mouthwash containing chlorine dioxide and it has never worked for me.
I'm at a point of my life where I don't want to put anymore chemical in my mouth.
Stevian
Junior

Post by Stevian »

telpar wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:52 am
Stevian wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:27 pm @ telpar

Hi Stevian

many of us have tried that portable halimeter. I have it.
I suppose a research need a more accurate device.
It only measures hydrogen sulphide, correct?

Dry mouth is cause of halitosis for everyone. The reason is that saliva cannot do its job.

The question is: dry mouth, in particular during night, can to alterate the bacteria profile of the mouth and cause CHRONIC bad breath?
If the answer is yes, it can fail the ecology of the mouth.
I see what you’re asking, and it’s an interesting question. My intuitive answer would be no, but I have no particular line of reasoning to support that.
The other question is: if a person stop breathing mouth during night, the ecology is fixed and there is a change in his bacteria profile of mouth? How many days takes this process?
Again I’m relying on intuition, but assuming the answer to your first question is yes, then I surmise it might take a long time, say months? Meh, a total guess on my part.
I don't know. I have no knowledge about this.
But I have tried mouthwash containing chlorine dioxide and it has never worked for me.

Specifically it’s 0.1% chlorine dioxide, and it’s not, repeat, not, a cure for bad breath, except for milder cases.

In my acquaintance’s case, once the 10 day course of antibiotic rinse, and 10 day course of 0.2% chlorhexadine rinse have altered the bacteria profile of the oral biome, ordinary daily hygiene and tongue scraping, in combination with the chlorine dioxide rinse (3x daily) should be sufficient to maintain the new bacteria profile over time. Since the treatment costs $ hundreds, not $ thousands, it may be cost effective to redo the treatment as necessary.
I'm at a point of my life where I don't want to put anymore chemical in my mouth.
The herbal remedy peddlers and homeopathic remedy shills are always warning us about chemicals, so we should be very, very afraid, and then some. No, seriously, everything is made of chemicals. Proteins, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins, are all made of chemicals, are they not?
As far as chlorine dioxide, notice that the concentration is 0.1%. A tenth of one percent. One part in a thousand.
Rissa18
Total Newbie

Post by Rissa18 »

Hi Telpar ,it's been a year since you posted this thread about mouth breathing.

How are you doing? Did you switch now to nose breathing? Can you please give us an update.
I myself, also a mouth breathing. Im thinking the same as you maybe if we correct the way we breath, miracle will happen and we will be cured.

This bad breath is keeping me down and ruining my dreams. Im a bb sufferer for 9 years.
Please give us an update. Thank you
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic