Your Email Address:

First Name:

Is CRISPR cas9 gene editing tool our hope?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
KL123
Sheriff
Is CRISPR cas9 gene editing tool our hope?

Post by KL123 »

Currently there are patent wars going on since it's a potential $10 billion worth of a gold mine.

But can we raise awareness, and raise our voices and bring this to attention of scientists who are looking to use these godlike powers to re-write the genes, and cure genetic disorders such as sickle cell disease, cancer and hereditary blindness?

Can they also look into the genes like SELENBP1 and FMO3?

Yes, there are many different causes of Chronic halitosis. If we take out the poor dental hygiene, infected gums and infected dental root canals, tonsil stones, post nasal infections etc, then we enter into the mystery zone as to why the EFF we have either, A LOT more odorous bacteria produced in the mouth, throat, tongue surface, OR we have a bad liver, or a leaky gut?

If it's a leaky gut, or malfunctioning liver then we have two options.
Get a liver transplant and see if it fixes the problem. It should, if bad liver is the cause.
If it's a leaky gut, then I guess there isn't much of medical cure at this point.

If none of these are the causes then we enter into the darker mystery zone ... why the EFF there is so much VSC in our mouths? Why other people don't have it? While those lucky mofos just toothbrush for one minute in the morning and they have a clean breath ALL EFFIN day, while we unfortunate bastards maintain a lot better dental hygiene, we watch our diet, we have tried almost everything on the planet that promises to cure chronic BB but nothing has actually worked to permanently cure these hidden in the dark mystery causes?

My best bet is, it is the genes - ESPECIALLY if you have multiple family members suffering from chronic BB.

I certainly fall into this category. And I truly look forward to bring some sort of awareness among the scientists to look into SELEBP1 - but then again, the research will require a lot of money, and big pharma will start crunching the numbers only to find out that the investment does not have expected returns, so eff it.

Stevian
Junior

Re: Is CRISPR cas9 gene editing tool our hope?

Post by Stevian »

@ KL123

Thanks for posting.
Gene editing would only be an option if we knew what genes to edit, and (except for SELENBP1 and TMAU and FMO3) we don’t.
SELENBP1 is estimated to afflict 3% of chronic halitosis cases. Individual cases can be disconfirmed by testing with 0.12% chlorhexadine. If the chx kills your bb, even for a few minutes, it’s not caused by SELENBP1.

Big pharma has likely already calculated that SELENBP1 sufferers are about one in a thousand in the general population, so unlikely they’ll pour big money into research on editing this gene.
One of the problems with editing SELENBP1 is that the gene is also a tumor suppressor. Simply deactivating it would likely increase tumor growth.
KL123
Sheriff

Post by KL123 »

Stevian wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:26 pm @ KL123

Thanks for posting.
Gene editing would only be an option if we knew what genes to edit, and (except for SELENBP1 and TMAU and FMO3) we don’t.
SELENBP1 is estimated to afflict 3% of chronic halitosis cases. Individual cases can be disconfirmed by testing with 0.12% chlorhexadine. If the chx kills your bb, even for a few minutes, it’s not caused by SELENBP1.

Big pharma has likely already calculated that SELENBP1 sufferers are about one in a thousand in the general population, so unlikely they’ll pour big money into research on editing this gene.
One of the problems with editing SELENBP1 is that the gene is also a tumor suppressor. Simply deactivating it would likely increase tumor growth.
Yep, you are true in almost all accounts.
I have tried prescription based Chlorhexadine to a point that the it starts staining your teeth (and it will, if you continously use it for an extended amount of time). My dentists has thoroughly looked into it.

And as with almost anything else, Chlorhexadine is also only a cover up that does NOT address the root cause as to why the heck we get so much of an overgrowth of VSC in our oral real estate?

There is a hidden factory somewhere in our system that viscously and relentlessly works 24/7 to keep heavily producing these odorous bacteria in our mouths. And we are currently to a point where we have taken refuge into products that provide the longest relief time. And Chlorhexadine is just one other such product. It may provide a longer relief time so some sufferers but sooner or later, the chronic BB will come back if you stop using. And THAT'S the problem.

In my childhood days, I was once swimming with my brother and we are talking while standing next to each other in chest height water. He then took a dip and re-surfaced after about 20 or 30 seconds and exhaled heavily. His breath hit my face and I immediately felt the odor that I did not feel when we were talking.
It now indicates to me that the source was the air in his lungs. VSC growth on the dorsum is surely a source of chronic BB but IMO, a secondary one. Our breaths still stink during regular verbal conversation.

Oral products such as Chlorhexadine may be good to TEMPORARILY kill the bacteria in the secondary source but it does nothing about the primary source, that is air in the lungs and how it gets stinky OR if the odorous fumes are coming straight from the stomach? Now, this may not be the case with many other types of Chronic BB, but in our case, this is what it looks like.

My current routine is to, start with thoroughly scrape my tongue and remove that thick layer of off white junk from the dorsum, then breathe in fresh air by bloating of my tummy to take in maximum air, and then exhale it out while squeezing my tummy in to push out as much as as I can. I repeat this in the fresh and open air for about 50 times to clear out the foul air from the lungs and infuse some fresh oxygen in the blood to kill the odorous gastric elements within the blood stream. I then, thoroughly brush my teeth and my tongue, rinse with water and then put a drop of Hibiclens on the dorsum, and do not rinse. And I know that the air from the lungs (whenever I speak) will continue to stink but it gets some little filtration when it passes through the Hibiclens coated throat and dorsum.
This gives me a better relief time than using Chlorhexadine.
KL123
Sheriff

Post by KL123 »

Thanks for posting.

I would absolutely gladly take a risk with tumor if SELENBP1 editing fixes the chronic BB.
I would rather die with a tumor than living like a dead man with Chronic BB.

Plus, CRISPR is currently being looked at to edit the genes that cause the cancer, so perhaps they will have a better handle on it, to keep the cancer producing genes on bay even after they edit SELEBBP1?
Stevian
Junior

Post by Stevian »

KL123 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:42 pm

Thanks for posting.

I would absolutely gladly take a risk with tumor if SELENBP1 editing fixes the chronic BB.

Plus, CRISPR is currently being looked at to edit the genes that cause the cancer, so perhaps they will have a better handle on it, to keep the cancer producing genes on bay even after they edit SELEBBP1?
All your speculation about the future of SELENBP1 gene editing is interesting, but once again the gene is only estimated to affect about 3% of chronic cases, not mine (mine yields to chlorhexadine), and apparently not yours, as you stated yours yields to chlorhexadine.

So let me be more explicit. The gases caused by SELENBP1 originate in the gut, and are expelled through the lungs, thus medicating the oral cavity with chlorhexadine would not have any effect on the gases produced by SELENBP1. You’d still have stinky breath.

If a protocol were developed tomorrow for editing the SELENBP1 gene, it wouldn’t help your case or mine one iota.
KL123
Sheriff

Post by KL123 »

Stevian wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:08 pm

Thanks for posting.

All your speculation about the future of SELENBP1 gene editing is interesting, but once again the gene is only estimated to affect about 3% of chronic cases, not mine (mine yields to chlorhexadine), and apparently not yours, as you stated yours yields to chlorhexadine.

So let me be more explicit. The gases caused by SELENBP1 originate in the gut, and are expelled through the lungs, thus medicating the oral cavity with chlorhexadine would not have any effect on the gases produced by SELENBP1. You’d still have stinky breath.

If a protocol were developed tomorrow for editing the SELENBP1 gene, it wouldn’t help your case or mine one iota.
As I stated in my previous post, VSC overgrowth in our oral state IS a cause (but a secondary one in my case) that contributes to Chronic Halitosis. And mouthwashes like chlorhexadine, and using of Hibiclens and other anti bacterial stuff does help to TEMPORARILY reduce/eliminate this pain.

However, how and why we have this CONTINOUS over growth of VSC in out mouths is the mystery?

One theory is, if the odorous fumes coming out from our gut and/or lungs when we normally breathe all day and all night, leave a residue of these bacteria where our mouth provides them with an environment that helps them in an explosive growth.

Other ideas are, may be there is no or very little odorous fumes that escape from the stomach/lungs, and leave little to no stinky residue in the throat and dorsum area - but then again, how and why we have so much of an overgrowth of VSC in our mouths?
If it's not the fumes from stomach/lungs, then it's perhaps our genes that are either defective or they are naturally programed to create a deep disbalance between producing good and bad bacteria in our mouths?

I think it's pretty safe to say it's not our saliva that has an innate load of odorous bacteria. We already done a test on this and have ruled it out.

If you haven't done so, take a quick test.
When you get up in the morning, and before brushing teeth or using any other product to make sure you have a bad breath, use your right hand's pinky finger and take a saliva sample from UNDER your tongue, and sniff it - and you prolly won't smell a thing.
Now use any finger of the left hand and gently take a saliva sample from your dorsum, let it dry and sniff it.

It should tell you that it's not our saliva where our blood borne odorous elements have been mixed with.

In our cases in particular, the biggest mystery is, why do we have so much of a CONTINIOUS overgrowth of VSC in our mouths/tongue/throat? And, IMO, this is only the aftermath. The root cause lies somewhere else, could be genetic, could be leaky gut, could be bad liver, no one knows.
Stevian
Junior

Post by Stevian »

KL123 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:33 pm

As I stated in my previous post, VSC overgrowth in our oral state IS a cause (but a secondary one in my case) that contributes to Chronic Halitosis. And mouthwashes like chlorhexadine, and using of Hibiclens and other anti bacterial stuff does help to TEMPORARILY reduce/eliminate this pain.

However, how and why we have this CONTINOUS over growth of VSC in out mouths is the mystery?

One theory is, if the odorous fumes coming out from our gut and/or lungs when we normally breathe all day and all night, leave a residue of these bacteria where our mouth provides them with an environment that helps them in an explosive growth.

Other ideas are, may be there is no or very little odorous fumes that escape from the stomach/lungs, and leave little to no stinky residue in the throat and dorsum area - but then again, how and why we have so much of an overgrowth of VSC in our mouths?
If it's not the fumes from stomach/lungs, then it's perhaps our genes that are either defective or they are naturally programed to create a deep disbalance between producing good and bad bacteria in our mouths?

I think it's pretty safe to say it's not our saliva that has an innate load of odorous bacteria. We already done a test on this and have ruled it out.

When you get up in the morning, and before brushing teeth or using any other product to make sure you have a bad breath, use your right hand's pinky finger and take a saliva sample from UNDER your tongue, and sniff it - and you prolly won't smell a thing.
Now use any finger of the left hand and gently take a saliva sample from your dorsum, let it dry and sniff it.

It should tell you that it's not our saliva where our blood borne odorous elements have been mixed with.

In our cases in particular, the biggest mystery is, why do we have so much of a CONTINIOUS overgrowth of VSC in our mouths/tongue/throat? And, IMO, this is only the aftermath. The root cause lies somewhere else, could be genetic, could be leaky gut, could be bad liver, no one knows.
Lots of speculation here, and frankly a lot of factual errors.

Type 1 intra-oral malodor does not for instance, involve an “overgrowth of vscs” nor “blood borne odorous elements” , and in fact your persistent speculation about “root causes” is actually leading you astray. Why? Because it causes you to come up with theories that are more complicated than necessary. The general rule of hypothesis (theory) formation and testing is to stick with the simplest explanation that fits the data.

We know that much of type 1 intra-oral results from an imbalance of oral bacteria to the extent that the stinky ones are more prevalent than they should be. Do researchers know exactly why that is ? No they don’t. If they did, we’d likely be on our way to a treatment protocol, not necessarily a cure.
It could in fact have something to do with a quality or characteristic of the saliva. That possibly has not been eliminated. Oh, and btw, the sniff test you describe doesn’t work reliably for me. The only way I can detect any funkiness at all is to vigorously brush the posterior tongue dorsum, then let the residue dry about a minute and sniff. Faint, but detectable.

We also know that in some patients, active periodontitis (gum disease) is a major contributor to type 1 malodor.
It’s a bit complicated, this malodor/gum disease correlation, because it turns out a patient can have oral malodor without gum disease, or conversely, gum disease without serious malodor. There is nevertheless about a 50% positive correlation between these 2 conditions.

Genetic causes? That possibility has not been eliminated, but remains entirely speculative.

Leaky gut? This is the sort desperate grasping at straws that makes me alternately giggle and cry. Really.
There’s no shortage of humans with various gut issues, IBS, bloating, constipation, diarrhea, colitis, crohn’s disease. The list is quite lengthy, but if one looks closely at the literature on leaky gut or leaky gut syndrome, it begins to look like pseudoscience, quackery, fakery. Pill/supplement marketing.
Just for fun, try googling pseudoscience + leaky gut. It’s most promoted by “alternative practitioners” (mostly quacks) and people who want to sell pills and supplements. I’ll say no more on that. If you still have an intellectual appetite for such nonsense, then by all means fill your booties. I’ll stay away.

Bad liver? More desperate grasping at straws. A very sclerotic or cancerous liver will yield a characteristic breath odor, but it won’t resemble the smell of VSCs even in the slightest. I’m old, and I use alcohol, hence I’ve had various and numerous tests done on my liver function. My liver is just fine, age adjusted. I’m 74.

Sometime next week I expect to begin a 14 day course of antibiotic oral rinses, followed by a 14 day course of antibacterial oral rinses, combined with an antibiotic ointment on the gums (to treat gum disease), followed by long term use of chlorine dioxide maintenance rinses at 0.1% concentration.

You can look it up under Oravital. com, and to be perfectly clear about it, I don’t regard this as a cure, nope. A treatment protocol, a treatment modality, but no, not a cure.
Well, if it turns to be unexpectedly curative, so much the better, but I prefer to limit my expectations. Without the use of maintenance rinses, I’d expect the original malodorous conditions to reassert themselves within a few months, maybe sooner.
Oravital does not in fact describe the treatment as a long term cure. Hence they stress the need for the long term use of chlorine dioxide rinses, not necessarily their own brand, and including brands such as Smartmouth and CloSYS.
Stevian
Junior

Post by Stevian »

KL123
Sheriff

Post by KL123 »

Stevian wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:42 pm
KL123 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:33 pm

Lots of speculation here, and frankly a lot of factual errors.

Type 1 intra-oral malodor does not for instance, involve an “overgrowth of vscs” nor “blood borne odorous elements” , and in fact your persistent speculation about “root causes” is actually leading you astray. Why? Because it causes you to come up with theories that are more complicated than necessary. The general rule of hypothesis (theory) formation and testing is to stick with the simplest explanation that fits the data.

We know that much of type 1 intra-oral results from an imbalance of oral bacteria to the extent that the stinky ones are more prevalent than they should be. Do researchers know exactly why that is ? No they don’t. If they did, we’d likely be on our way to a treatment protocol, not necessarily a cure.
It could in fact have something to do with a quality or characteristic of the saliva. That possibly has not been eliminated. Oh, and btw, the sniff test you describe doesn’t work reliably for me. The only way I can detect any funkiness at all is to vigorously brush the posterior tongue dorsum, then let the residue dry about a minute and sniff. Faint, but detectable.

We also know that in some patients, active periodontitis (gum disease) is a major contributor to type 1 malodor.
It’s a bit complicated, this malodor/gum disease correlation, because it turns out a patient can have oral malodor without gum disease, or conversely, gum disease without serious malodor. There is nevertheless about a 50% positive correlation between these 2 conditions.

Genetic causes? That possibility has not been eliminated, but remains entirely speculative.

Leaky gut? This is the sort desperate grasping at straws that makes me alternately giggle and cry. Really.
There’s no shortage of humans with various gut issues, IBS, bloating, constipation, diarrhea, colitis, crohn’s disease. The list is quite lengthy, but if one looks closely at the literature on leaky gut or leaky gut syndrome, it begins to look like pseudoscience, quackery, fakery. Pill/supplement marketing.
Just for fun, try googling pseudoscience + leaky gut. It’s most promoted by “alternative practitioners” (mostly quacks) and people who want to sell pills and supplements. I’ll say no more on that. If you still have an intellectual appetite for such nonsense, then by all means fill your booties. I’ll stay away.

Bad liver? More desperate grasping at straws. A very sclerotic or cancerous liver will yield a characteristic breath odor, but it won’t resemble the smell of VSCs even in the slightest. I’m old, and I use alcohol, hence I’ve had various and numerous tests done on my liver function. My liver is just fine, age adjusted. I’m 74.

Sometime next week I expect to begin a 14 day course of antibiotic oral rinses, followed by a 14 day course of antibacterial oral rinses, combined with an antibiotic ointment on the gums (to treat gum disease), followed by long term use of chlorine dioxide maintenance rinses at 0.1% concentration.

You can look it up under Oravital. com, and to be perfectly clear about it, I don’t regard this as a cure, nope. A treatment protocol, a treatment modality, but no, not a cure.
Well, if it turns to be unexpectedly curative, so much the better, but I prefer to limit my expectations. Without the use of maintenance rinses, I’d expect the original malodorous conditions to reassert themselves within a few months, maybe sooner.
Oravital does not in fact describe the treatment as a long term cure. Hence they stress the need for the long term use of chlorine dioxide rinses, not necessarily their own brand, and including brands such as Smartmouth and CloSYS.

I think you kinda took it to heart and displayed some frustration. And I don't have an issue with it. I do it all the time.

By leaky gut, I didn't mean to refer to those plethora of pills on Amazon that promise to fix it all.

I used this term as the closest available term to faintly relates to SELEBP1 syndrome.

Blood picks up the sh!t odor from the (leaky) gut and dumps it into the lung.

Also gum disease an all other KNOWN causes of chronic halitosis are NOT the focus of our discussion here.

We are talking precisely about the mystery where little to none is known to be the root cause.

I am personally hell bent into believing that my case is probably 99% related to genetic mutation in SELENBP1 - and the biggest indicator is the symptoms present in close family members (father, 2 out of five siblings), and I passed it on my all three kids.

Consider yourself lucky if you are not in that boat, otherwise those 74 years would've been much more harder.

Long time ago, a very good doctor advised me to use oral antibiotic rinse like Nystatin. But then again, wouldn't the bacteria become even more resilient? We are not killing this bacteria one time, this is not a one time infection treatment - we are up against a continuous growth of this odorous bacteria. We kill once, it will reproduce and we go into the cycle till the bacteria becomes impregnable. I can use the "maintenance rinse" as long as it's with a mouth wash but maintenance rinse with an antibiotic on long term basis? Personally, I would think twice. However, I wish you good luck with it.
Stevian
Junior

Post by Stevian »

@ KL123

“I am personally hell bent into believing that my case is probably 99% related to genetic mutation in SELENBP1 - and the biggest indicator is the symptoms present in close family members (father, 2 out of five siblings), and I passed it on my all three kids.”

If your case is caused by the SELENBP1 mutation, then chlorhexadine would not improve your breath, which you insist it does, ie. Hibiclens, so I suspect you’re off the mark somewhere. If you’re really “hell bent” on it, I imagine you can get tested.
Stevian
Junior

Post by Stevian »

@ KL123

“I am personally hell bent into believing that my case is probably 99% related to genetic mutation in SELENBP1 - and the biggest indicator is the symptoms present in close family members (father, 2 out of five siblings), and I passed it on my all three kids.”

If your case is caused by the SELENBP1 mutation, then chlorhexadine would not improve your breath, which you insist it does, ie. Hibiclens, so I suspect you’re off the mark somewhere. If you’re really “hell bent” on it, I imagine you can get tested.
Jimi Stein
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by Jimi Stein »

how your kids deal with it? do they have room filling bb?
This is me, Jimi Stein, I created this site in December 2005. Welcome.
KL123
Sheriff

Post by KL123 »

Stevian wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:46 pm @ KL123

As I stated in detail, VSC bacteria DOES exist on my dorsum. My theory is, when we normally breathe, the odorous elements from the lung air and/or odorous fumes from the gut, may leave some residue in the throat and dorsum area where the environment helps the VSC thrive like crazy. So the dorsum's VSC does play it's role to magnify the potency of bad breath, but that's a secondary source. And using Hibiclens temporarily takes care of that secondary source; however, it does not kill the primary source that's either, odorous air from the lungs and/or odorous fumes from the stomach.
KL123
Sheriff

Post by KL123 »

Jimi Stein wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:07 pm how your kids deal with it? do they have room filling bb?
No, it's not room filling. But on their bad days, you can pick the odor from about a three to four feet away.

After years of taunting from the mean kids in school, they are obviously depressed - super depressed. Super low on confidence and super low on self esteem.
Their little brains are confused as to what the EFFF is wrong with them with no fault of their own?

Especially my eldest one as he has the worst kind.
He recently got # 3 position in a national level Math competition, the school poster his pictures on a various publications, but he is super lonely. He has no friends. He just locks himself in the room all day. Does not want to go on vacations or anywhere with anybody. Hardly talks to anyone at home. His head and shoulders are always down. He has no happiness in life - absolutely none!

He got accepted into two IVY league schools and also in Emory and University of Michigan's pre-med programs. This is besides his top choices where he got accepted into a combined BS/MD program. But he has absolutely no happiness and no joy about it. His personality is just totally crushed from inside. This kid of mine, during his childhood years would provide you a company of laughter and joy. He was energetic and full of funny talks, but now, it looks like his soul is dead from inside.

We have had talks about this very uncomfortable topic, and I simply told him to follow the oral cleaning routine that I do, watch your diet and cut on meats, and it may help a little. We also had a talk where he said, he will not have kids. And I said I 100% support you.

I always tell myself that if and only if, I knew that I would pass it on to my kids? I would've NEVER EVER gotten married. NEVER!

My middle one has somewhat mild symptoms, she is the smartest of all three, and currently attending high school. A few years ago, I was checking her browsing history and obviously she had searched "Bad breath cure" a few times and had visited some sites to check all those sh!tty products that we already know, do not work.

And the youngest one (7 years old) has a very potent morning breath. Kids usually don't have it THAT bad in the morning but he does. It goes away after brushing the teeth, and there is no odor during the entire day, but I know, soon as he hits anywhere between 8 to 12, and whatever the hormonal sh!t changes in him, the chronic halitosis will set in.

I did suggest them how to answer to mean kids.

If someone tells you that you have bad breath. Immediately reply them in a strong tone by saying, "Oh yeah? Open your mouth and let me smell yours!".
This puts the mean kids on the backfoot. And if they do open their mouths, take a fake sniff and loudly say, "EEWWWWWW".

Another thought in depressing times is to tell yourself that I scrapped my tongue, did the floss and brushed my teeth and used a mouthwash, and now if you get told that your breath stinks then reply them with, "I don't care. It's not my problem, it's your problem".

I do plan to talk to them to keep an eye on SELENBP1 research and who knows long after I die, there is some breakthrough? And they could hopefully find a remedy?
Stevian
Junior

Post by Stevian »

KL123 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:23 am
Stevian wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:46 pm @ KL123

As I stated in detail, VSC bacteria DOES exist on my dorsum. My theory is, when we normally breathe, the odorous elements from the lung air and/or odorous fumes from the gut, may leave some residue in the throat and dorsum area where the environment helps the VSC thrive like crazy. So the dorsum's VSC does play it's role to magnify the potency of bad breath, but that's a secondary source. And using Hibiclens temporarily takes care of that secondary source; however, it does not kill the primary source that's either, odorous air from the lungs and/or odorous fumes from the stomach.
@KL123
Nah, very unlikely you would have SELENBP1 AND type 1. Barely possible, but highly unlikely.

Now I do take seriously what you’re saying about your kids, and it does sort of sound like SELENBP1, the heritability and everything, but just because it’s heritable doesn’t necessarily mean ipso facto that it’s SELENBP1.

By the way, your theory about VSCs is scientifically unsound.
Firstly, VSCs don’t thrive, they’re just gases. Yes, the bacteria that produce them might thrive, but obviously that’s not the same thing.

So basically you’re saying the Hibiclens only takes care of a secondary part of your breath odor? Stinky, VSC-producing bacteria inhabiting the tongue dorsum are still a major feature of type 1, and I see no scientifically sound explanation for how they would be affected by the pulmonary off-gassing of VSCs caused by SELENBP1.

You seem to be saying that even after using Hibiclens you still have stinky breath, just less severe. Did I get that right?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic