Your Email Address:

First Name:

I brush my teeth 3-4 times a day

Tell us your story with bad breath
hallytoesis
United States of America

I brush my teeth 3-4 times a day

Post by hallytoesis »

I have had BB since I was about 8-9 years old. I am in my late 20s now. I typically brush my teeth about 3-4 times a day. What I have noticed is sometimes brushing actually makes the BB worse (I am assuming because it is also getting rid of the GOOD bacteria). My breath is really bad even have brushing. But brushing makes it 5% more tolerable which is better than nothing. Here is my current brushing routine:

Gargle hydrogen peroxide & water
Brush for about 5 minutes
Rinse
Brush for another 5 minutes

My two main indicators that I definitely feel are link to my bad breath:

I burp A LOT, all day everyday
My saliva is extremely stringy, it is like clear slime

Here is what I have done so far (medically):
Dental check- I have been going to the dentist regularly since I was a toddler. My teeth and oral hygiene have always been great.
Tonsillectomy- I found out several years ago that I did in fact have some tonsil stones. However removing my tonsil made no change at all. I think the bacteria in my mouth was causing the tonsil stones. Not vice versa.
H Pylori Test-Came back negative.
5 different ENT visits- They saw nothing wrong.
The next step here is to undergo an endoscopy.

brak7
Total Newbie

Re: I brush my teeth 3-4 times a day

Post by brak7 »

I've been lurking on this website for a few years now, but I made an account, just so I could reply to you. It's genuinely crazy, because I have the exact same symptoms as you, and have been through the exact same journey as you. I've gotten a tonsillectomy and it did not help at all and have also had bad breath since around the same age as you.

I struggle with burping throughout the whole day also, which I feel could be a factor for the bad breath somehow. I've also has an H Pylori test which was negative and had an endoscopy, with nothing found.

I feel the bad breath is 100% coming from the stomach, but I don't know what the actual cause is. I've been prescribed several GERD medications by my doctor and nothing has helped. I don't have the usual GERD symptoms, other than burping really. Although I used to have heartburn more commonly, now a days I don't anymore. Sometimes at night though I can feel some post nasal drip and literally hear it dripping into my mouth, which stops me from sleeping.

Hope the endoscopy helps you on this journey..
hallytoesis
United States of America

Post by hallytoesis »

Wow! Thank you for sharing your similar story. I have also tried GERD medications and they have not worked for me. Other than burping, do you ever experience nausea and sometimes even vomiting from the nausea? In addition to that, I have also read that all the acidity that is coming back up from the stomach with GERD is what can stain your teeth. My teeth are quite stained even though I have great oral hygiene.

I am not sure if this is connected to my BB but I have been trying to connect the dots on my own since doctors haven't been much help here.

When I am with my friends I see they can drink alcohol, smoke, eat garlic, onion, sweets and they have NO breath at all. Not bad, not 'good'- just no smell at all. Yet I brush many times throughout the day, stick to non-smelling foods, have a very healthy diet- and have extreme BB. Also something really interesting that I noticed- when normal people have no breath and are chewing minty gum, you can't even smell the mint. It is like no odor comes from their mouth at all. When I chew minty gum everyone can smell the mint (and god knows what else lol). It is as if have some kind of bacteria in our mouth that makes good and bad odors stick to it. While others do not have this bacteria in this mouth, so the bad AND the good odors don't even stick.

Lastly, I have read anything with mint (mint gum, tea etc) actually makes acid reflux/GERD worse. Which I can definitely attest to. It's interesting to see how the products in the dental and bad breath industry (gum, mouthwash, special toothpastes) can make our problem even WORSE. For normal people, these products are a quick fix for them. Also since you have had this for as long as I have- Im sure you have also tried every diet, remedy, tip etc. with no luck. I think its a testament to how this is something entirely beyond our control, and definitely needs medical intervention.

I am sorry to hear you have had no luck with the endoscopy. I will definitely update everyone upon undergoing mine!
StillHoping
Sheriff
Canada

Post by StillHoping »

Hey there, just wanted to add in that please be careful with prolonged use of hydrogen peroxide. It bombs out all the good bacteria in your mouth, weakens salivary glands/causes dry mouth, and can cause stains on your tongue like black spots (you can google all this). I would advise against using it or atleast very limited use of it, in extremely diluted amounts

hallytoesis wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:20 am I have had BB since I was about 8-9 years old. I am in my late 20s now. I typically brush my teeth about 3-4 times a day. What I have noticed is sometimes brushing actually makes the BB worse (I am assuming because it is also getting rid of the GOOD bacteria). My breath is really bad even have brushing. But brushing makes it 5% more tolerable which is better than nothing. Here is my current brushing routine:

Rinse

Dental check- I have been going to the dentist regularly since I was a toddler. My teeth and oral hygiene have always been great.
Tonsillectomy- I found out several years ago that I did in fact have some tonsil stones. However removing my tonsil made no change at all. I think the bacteria in my mouth was causing the tonsil stones. Not vice versa.
2012: Wisdoms remov
2015: Tonsils+adenoids remov
2017: TMAU1 & 2 Negative
2019: Internal biopsies normal
2019: Completed SIBO treatment
2020: DigEnzymes help but side effects
+ low fodmap/GERD diet also help
Grunge
Junior

Post by Grunge »

I burp all day too, post nasal drip,Thick saliva as well. And of course bad breath, since I can remember.
Although I haven't been diagnosed, I believe I have GERD. This may be due to being overweight.
I have noticed when I stay away from bread, sugar and beef my breath and thick saliva get better.
Try these things, and if done right you should be feeling a difference by the next day.
Also, how many of you all with GERD symptoms are overweight by at least 20 lbs or more?
Life can hold you down when you’re not looking up
hallytoesis
United States of America

Post by hallytoesis »

StillHoping wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:42 pm Hey there, just wanted to add in that please be careful with prolonged use of hydrogen peroxide. It bombs out all the good bacteria in your mouth, weakens salivary glands/causes dry mouth, and can cause stains on your tongue like black spots (you can google all this). I would advise against using it or atleast very limited use of it, in extremely diluted amounts

hallytoesis wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:20 am I have had BB since I was about 8-9 years old. I am in my late 20s now. I typically brush my teeth about 3-4 times a day. What I have noticed is sometimes brushing actually makes the BB worse (I am assuming because it is also getting rid of the GOOD bacteria). My breath is really bad even have brushing. But brushing makes it 5% more tolerable which is better than nothing. Here is my current brushing routine:

Rinse

I appreciate this insight immensely! I actually incorporate hydrogen peroxide sporadically into my brushing routine and heavily dilute it with water. I take long breaks without using it, but currently it is in my brushing routine. I hope this tip can also help other people!
hallytoesis
United States of America

Post by hallytoesis »

Grunge wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:42 am I burp all day too, post nasal drip,Thick saliva as well. And of course bad breath, since I can remember.
Although I haven't been diagnosed, I believe I have GERD. This may be due to being overweight.
I have noticed when I stay away from bread, sugar and beef my breath and thick saliva get better.
Try these things, and if done right you should be feeling a difference by the next day.
Also, how many of you all with GERD symptoms are overweight by at least 20 lbs or more?
I have actually been quite underweight most of my life. For the last 4-5 years I have been average weight. I have never been overweight in my life. My GERD is absolutely out of control! It feels like I need an entirely new stomach, throat and mouth from all the acid coming up! lol
brak7
Total Newbie

Post by brak7 »

hallytoesis wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:13 pm Wow! Thank you for sharing your similar story. I have also tried GERD medications and they have not worked for me. Other than burping, do you ever experience nausea and sometimes even vomiting from the nausea? In addition to that, I have also read that all the acidity that is coming back up from the stomach with GERD is what can stain your teeth. My teeth are quite stained even though I have great oral hygiene.

I am not sure if this is connected to my BB but I have been trying to connect the dots on my own since doctors haven't been much help here.

When I am with my friends I see they can drink alcohol, smoke, eat garlic, onion, sweets and they have NO breath at all. Not bad, not 'good'- just no smell at all. Yet I brush many times throughout the day, stick to non-smelling foods, have a very healthy diet- and have extreme BB. Also something really interesting that I noticed- when normal people have no breath and are chewing minty gum, you can't even smell the mint. It is like no odor comes from their mouth at all. When I chew minty gum everyone can smell the mint (and god knows what else lol). It is as if have some kind of bacteria in our mouth that makes good and bad odors stick to it. While others do not have this bacteria in this mouth, so the bad AND the good odors don't even stick.

Lastly, I have read anything with mint (mint gum, tea etc) actually makes acid reflux/GERD worse. Which I can definitely attest to. It's interesting to see how the products in the dental and bad breath industry (gum, mouthwash, special toothpastes) can make our problem even WORSE. For normal people, these products are a quick fix for them. Also since you have had this for as long as I have- Im sure you have also tried every diet, remedy, tip etc. with no luck. I think its a testament to how this is something entirely beyond our control, and definitely needs medical intervention.

I am sorry to hear you have had no luck with the endoscopy. I will definitely update everyone upon undergoing mine!
I do not really have any problems with nasuea and such or atleast I can't recall right now. I have the same problem with my mouth too. My oral hygiene is spot but I have several cavities which I had to get filled, which makes no sense, as I keep my mouth very clean, so I would also suggest it being the result of reflux. I think in my case it's most likely silent reflux though, as I don't really get heartburn and such, but I have the constant feeling of a "lump" in my throat when I swallow, have post nasal drip and constant burping and food contents going back up.

I've adjusted my diet in the past month and have cut out sugars, other than natural sugars from fruits etc. and have only been eating organic foods, but haven't seen any change in my breath, sadly. For the past week I've not even eaten any meat, most of my protein comes from probiotic rich yoghurt, eggs and vegan meats, but I don't feel any positive effect on my breath.

I think the next thing which I need to try is a fully vegan diet, have you tried one before and if so, how did it go?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic