Your Email Address:

First Name:

chronic foul smelling post nasal drip

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Aptx4869
Total Newbie

chronic foul smelling post nasal drip

Post by Aptx4869 »

Hi

I have a foul smelling post nasal drip. I can feel the smell when I throat clear the dripping. This is been going for years without any solution. I have visited many ENTs and they confirmed I don't have any issues like sinusitis or so. They say it could be an allergy although I have tried almost all antihistamine brands

I don't want to stop the post nasal drip, but at least I want to make it odorless. I do nasal irrigation daily without any improvement.

Tried many antibiotics in the past years including metronidazole & clarithromycin with no luck, but noticed the smell is almost gone during the course, and return back after the treatment

Grunge
Junior

Re: chronic foul smelling post nasal drip

Post by Grunge »

Do you have acid reflux or GERD symptoms, like burping all day or feeling bloated? Try staying away from beef for a few days. When I eat too much beef I get allergy symptoms, like a stuffy/runny nose and my PND worsens. I also notice pizza and orange juice also make my PND worse. Just try to stay away from sugar and breads as much as you can. Experiment with foods, and try and see which ones trigger your PND and bad breath the most.
Life can hold you down when you’re not looking up
Xyzabc
Total Newbie

Post by Xyzabc »

Aptx4869 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:26 pm Hi

I have a foul smelling post nasal drip. I can feel the smell when I throat clear the dripping. This is been going for years without any solution. I have visited many ENTs and they confirmed I don't have any issues like sinusitis or so. They say it could be an allergy although I have tried almost all antihistamine brands

I don't want to stop the post nasal drip, but at least I want to make it odorless. I do nasal irrigation daily without any improvement.

Tried many antibiotics in the past years including metronidazole & clarithromycin with no luck, but noticed the smell is almost gone during the course, and return back after the treatment
Hi there, what you described is exactly the same for me. When i clear my throat, I can feel an awful smell coming out. Also, when i drink water and swallow it, i feel the smell of it. I originally started off with several dentists as all the ENT have told me they do not see any issue. But recently I have started to believe it has something to do with my nose and throat. For me to understand, do you have a deviated septum? I am quite sure the smell is coming in from my throat/ nose area. I am trying to cut down on certain foods like dairy, sugar etc and have started drinking loads of water. Lets be active here and post whatever has benefitted us
dangeolgau

Post by dangeolgau »

Do you feel that the PND is draining on right side of your throat? Also the nasal bad breath is more intensive on right nostril?
Xyzabc
Total Newbie

Post by Xyzabc »

I cannot really say a specific side is worse as the smell somehow manages to spread around the area. But more importantly this kind of smell transmits both from mouth as well as nose. So it’s kind of the worst
Grunge
Junior

Post by Grunge »

Xyzabc wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:53 am
Aptx4869 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:26 pm Hi

Hi there, what you described is exactly the same for me. When i clear my throat, I can feel an awful smell coming out. Also, when i drink water and swallow it, i feel the smell of it. I originally started off with several dentists as all the ENT have told me they do not see any issue. But recently I have started to believe it has something to do with my nose and throat. For me to understand, do you have a deviated septum? I am quite sure the smell is coming in from my throat/ nose area. I am trying to cut down on certain foods like dairy, sugar etc and have started drinking loads of water. Lets be active here and post whatever has benefitted us
What can you tell me about a deviated septum, and it's connection with PND?
Xyzabc
Total Newbie

Post by Xyzabc »

I have read in some posts about deviated septum being a cause for improper drainage. However I must say I have also read content that says deviated septum cannot directly lead to such chronic halitosis. In the above example, I just wanted to understand if he/she also has a deviated septum like I do. I have been to ENT however they do not seem to think this has anything to do with my breath issue. My issue is that the odour is stronger fro mm my nose (atleast this is what I feel).. does anybody else have a similar story?
Grunge
Junior

Post by Grunge »

Xyzabc wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:03 pm I have read in some posts about deviated septum being a cause for improper drainage. However I must say I have also read content that says deviated septum cannot directly lead to such chronic halitosis. In the above example, I just wanted to understand if he/she also has a deviated septum like I do. I have been to ENT however they do not seem to think this has anything to do with my breath issue. My issue is that the odour is stronger fro mm my nose (atleast this is what I feel).. does anybody else have a similar story?
I have a deviated septum, but I don't know if there's an odor in my nose, too. I can't smell. I can't remember the last time I was able to smell.
Xyzabc
Total Newbie

Post by Xyzabc »

It is not really a smell.. more like when you swallow or clear your throat and when you exhale through your nose, you might notice a strange odour coming in from throat. Which is very obvious to you.
JKL12134

Post by JKL12134 »

Xyzabc wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:18 am It is not really a smell.. more like when you swallow or clear your throat and when you exhale through your nose, you might notice a strange odour coming in from throat. Which is very obvious to you.
Yeah, I have this. When the mucus accumulates at the back of your nose and the moment you clear it, it just smells. It's just strange cause I just feel it in my left nostril. Not really painful but it's a strange feeling like some sort of numbness. How about you? Do you also have that feeling?
JKL12134

Post by JKL12134 »

*in addition to the accumulation of mucus, I also feel a slight pain in my ethmoid sinus.
Xyzabc
Total Newbie

Post by Xyzabc »

Actually I don’t have any pain or numbness.. it’s more of a smell only that I notice. The smell is quite rotten and confuses me as to where it is originating from. I doubt it’s my teeth. I am more inclined to throat or stomach.
JKL12134

Post by JKL12134 »

Xyzabc wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:19 am Actually I don’t have any pain or numbness.. it’s more of a smell only that I notice. The smell is quite rotten and confuses me as to where it is originating from. I doubt it’s my teeth. I am more inclined to throat or stomach.
I see, what about your drainage? Does your mucus drain well? Cause in my case, my left nostril is problematic. It's where the mucus accumulates and creates PND.
Xyzabc
Total Newbie

Post by Xyzabc »

I have not figured out which nostril.. although I feel it is in both my nostril. Do you also have tonsil stones that pop out now and then? I have read that mucus alone does not smell unless it meets with the bacteria. Have you been on medication for silent reflux at any point? 3 of the ENT I visited mentioned that PND thickened is a result of acid coming up and our body creates mucus to protect..
Aptx4869
Total Newbie

Post by Aptx4869 »

dangeolgau wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:51 pm Do you feel that the PND is draining on right side of your throat? Also the nasal bad breath is more intensive on right nostril?
Not specific to one nostril. I feel the smell when I throat clear. After I clear throat, I feel fresh breath but the dripping will come back shortly after
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic