Your Email Address:

First Name:

Halitometer readings

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
slone
Total Newbie

Halitometer readings

Post by slone »

Hey guys, i intend to find a dental clinic that provides breath reading using the halitometer. I did read up some posts suggesting that it wasn't all that accurate and stuff. Still, i would like to get myself check for severity of the condition before and after a tonsillectomy.

I'd like to check whether anyone here has done the test before and how much does it register for your condition?

Busted
God

Post by Busted »

There's absolutely no point in doing that. It's better to just test on someone. It can show u a number that is supposed to be within the normal range, but unfortenately that does not mean your do not have travelling bb.
Larc400
God

Post by Larc400 »

It's quite a good idea to test before & after tonsilectomy - just make sure you do it under similar circumstances both before and after though (for example first thing in the morning), as the score can change *a lot* depending on what you've eaten, if you've cleaned your mouth etc etc.

Yeah I've had halimeter tests ... different dentists calibrate the machine differently though so there's not much use comparing numbers. Most say offensive bb score above 100. I scored something like 250 most of the time, sometimes dipping down to just below 100.
Busted
God

Post by Busted »

What does someone who does not suffer from bb have then, 0 to 50?

I scored under 100, but it was still bad enough for others to react to it.
emotional rescue
Sheriff

Post by emotional rescue »

I did it a few times, i think it´s a good tool just to take some parameters, but you must do it under the same conditions, like Larc said....

I didn´t know that the machine could be calibrated in different ways,

but I tested with two differents dentist and machines, and the results always were between 165 to 200 without treatment.

Supposedly over 70 you start to have offensive breath.

The healthy readings of normal people are between 40 - 70, and under 40 it´s not healthy too.

Both dentist told me that there is people that get readings above 1000
emotional rescue
Sheriff

Here´s a link to the official site with faq questions

http://www.halimeter.com/kb/

to me the procedure seems very logical, and one dentist made me do it just like on the site says....

Maybe it can´t measure all the variables that can give a person bb, but the times that i was under 70, i really felt like i don´t had bb, and the times that the readings were upper 100 i allready felt like i had bb before doing it.

So, i believe in this theory of the vsc like the bigger cause of bb
Busted
God

Post by Busted »

And why's under 40 not healthy? Does that mean your breath is too fresh/good?

I think everyone here agrees vsc's are the cause, but we are trying to find out what exactly causes an overgrowth of these vsc's.
emotional rescue
Sheriff

Busted wrote:And why's under 40 not healthy? Does that mean your breath is too fresh/good?

I think everyone here agrees vsc's are the cause, but we are trying to find out what exactly causes an overgrowth of these vsc's.
according to what was explained to me, i don´t remember right now how´s the name of the bacterias that were creating the vsc´s, but she explained that less than 40, were not healthy to the mouth flora. Cause what we were trying to measure is how much amount of mouthwash, spray, gel do I need it a day to keep the vsc´s between 40 to 70. I even get 34ppb two times after deep gum cleaning and i don´t know what else.
But in the end i didn´t believe in those homemade mouthwashes and stuff and i quit....

Regarding to the cause, of course that we are looking the cause of vsc, but acording to an interesting article posted by larc, maybe a lot of us has tma in our saliva or something like that added or not to an excecive level of vcs. add this to possible digestion problems, sinus infections, polyps, lingual tonsils, etc, ect, so.......who knows??

For me the two roads less explored by us right now are this guys of the tmau article and someone who could investigate lingual tonsils and it´s relation with bb....(maybe yehuda??) we should sent someone in representation or pay some research between all of us.

I think that´s the only real way, or keep waiting and crying for years until some corporation decides that invest in this could be a good buissnes ( highly doubful in the short time...)
elliott
God

Post by elliott »

^^ well one other thing is the hiatal hernia thing... but after reading about that "gas" situation, I'm a bit scared to have that surgery. Still, when work slows down, I'm going back in to the dr. to clarify things and get more info. I actually have a feeling that HH surgery might be the answer for me, at least in reducing my BB. I still think saliva/mucous/glands are problems too, but there aren't any doctors that know anything about these things.
Busted
God

Post by Busted »

emotional rescue wrote:and the results always were between 165 to 200 without treatment.
The first time I went testing, all I did was brush my teeth. I wanted to see how bad it was. I had a score just over 300 back then. The second time I went testing I did all the usual stuff such as tongue scraping and I had a score over 100. The third time I didn't do anything special either and i got just over 200 but it was still going up, but the lady told me to stop, because she said she couldn't smell my bad breath. She was a very bad liar though, but that is what they do at bb clinics. After a couple of visists they'll just tell you everything is fine and you do not suffer from bb anymore. even with a score over 200 they'll say everything is ok. But now I understand why sometimes I can see others reacting from 3 to 5 meters away. 300 is a lot. Esepcially when I read that you only have between 165 and 200. A complete waste of money and time.
badtimes

Post by badtimes »

Normal breath readings will be between 80-150 ppb

At levels of 200-300 ppb, oral malodor is noticeable by an observer standing close to the patient.

At 350-400 ppb, the odor is noticeable by an observer standing several feet away from the patient.

At 500-700 ppb the odor is more noticeable not because it is "stronger," but because it is more foul.

At over 1000 ppb, the odor will linger for several minutes after the patient leaves the room.

call me a moron but i bought one from ebay for cheap and sent in to have calibrated and everything...it works very well....it definately gets my morning breath and i check it like every 4-6 hours asthe day goes on u can see the reading rise if u don't brush or anything

most mornings its around 200 -250 this morning 325 thou!! :-$

after i do my ritual down to 80- 100
baguio
Advanced

Post by baguio »

Have tested a few times with Halimeter - and all have been within the normal range. Last one was 51ppb.

How much confidence should we have in these devices?

The last guy to carry out halimeter readings also took swabs and grew bacteria cultures. Of the 5 cultures, 2 of them 'grew' and were putrid (he gave his highest rating). One was a general agar culture for bacteria. The other had nutrients for a particular class of bacteria. Has anyone had anything like this done? Can any conclusions be drawn from this?

@badtimes: How much did it cost?
Also, are there days/times of the day,etc when you are within normal range without having done your 'ritual' cleaning, etc?

Must be interesting to be able to take so many readings. Has this not allowed you to make a connection between diet and bb?
john
Junior

Post by john »

Today i went to the hospital to see a BB docter and a dentist.
when they smelled my breath they said that they could just smell a little bit, just noticeable.

also they had a oral chroma machine. (score 75)
as you can see, hydrogen sulfide and metylmerceptan was not present.
dimetyl sulfide was 18 PPB and olmost in the red zone.
this was not coming from the tung he said, but from the blood.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/img]
baguio
Advanced

Post by baguio »

john wrote:Today i went to the hospital to see a BB docter and a dentist.
when they smelled my breath they said that they could just smell a little bit, just noticeable.

also they had a oral chroma machine. (score 75)
as you can see, hydrogen sulfide and metylmerceptan was not present.
dimetyl sulfide was 18 PPB and olmost in the red zone.
this was not coming from the tung he said, but from the blood.
Where was this?
What were their conclusions then?
If you had been tested with the conventional old halimeter, would it have given you a high or a regular reading??
john
Junior

Post by john »

it is in holland (doetinchem) at the slingeland hospital.

http://sz.oppc.nl/folders/folder-532.html

they said
to get rid of the white coating use your tung brush better. ( get your tung and pull it out whith your hand and than scrape with the tungbrush)

and maybe i should try halita mouthwash to get rid of my tungcoating.

last year i was also tested whith a conventionel old halimeter and it gave exact the same score.[/url]
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic