Your Email Address:

First Name:

An Update of my situation

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
hopeful
Master

An Update of my situation

Post by hopeful »

For those that have followed my story, I'm still around(unfortunately). As many of you know, I got a tonsillectomy just over 3 weeks ago along with a colonoscopy. I no longer have the crypts that I had before along with the awful smells/yellow sticky liquid that I would find when digging around in the crypts with a cotton bud(I'm one of those people who never found a tonsillith). I've been taken antibiotics for a possible infection in my colon for the last few weeks and have to see my doctor at home to refill the prescription(I went abroad to get both procedures since the wait time in my country was not reasonable for me). I've been having a difficult time sticking to taking all my pills on time due to a hectic and unpredictable travelling schedule(might as well take a vacation after spending all that money on a plane ticket to the other side of the world).

At this point, I'm not sure what my bb is really like compared to before. I know it is mildly better because water doesn't taste gross now compared to before. It just tastes like nothing whereas it tasted almost bitter/foul before. I also have this high zip up hoodie where when I used to blow my own breath into it before, I could smell unpleasant odors. Now when I do the same thing, I can't smell anything. The taste of toothpaste also lasts a bit longer after I brushed my teeth than before(maybe 20mins. compared to 5). When I used to lick my wrist, 99% of the time, there was a strong sour/vinegar smell. Now when I do the same thing, I can barely smell anything(the sour smell is still there sometimes but really mild compared to before). Still none of this means I'm cured because I believe like many of you that other underlying conditions are the cause of my bb and that my tonsils were only a part of the problem.

So now I'm not sure what I should do next. My doctor that performed the colonoscopy and prescribed the medication is on vacation until the end of the month so I can't contact her about taking other supplements along with my antibiotics and the potential side affects. The supplements I'm referring to include: multivitamin, grapefruit seed extract(liquid gold), Pro-M (aka the 500mg tab of champex), zinc, chlorophyll and B12 vitamins. Now I know none of you are doctors but would anyone one know if taking any of these supplements would affect taking a drug called "Salofalk(a drug which acts to suppress inflammatory bowel disease)." I feel like I have to completely re-educate myself since I haven't taking any other pills besides the ones prescribed to me for the last month(which is weird when you've been taking everything suggested out there and on this board for so long).

I know I could just ask someone to "test" my breath but I just can't do it. One of the main reasons why I believe I still have fairly strong if somewhat improved than before bb is because my oversensitivity in other people's reactions. Just from observing people from far away(in situations not involving myself), a lot of people touch their noses for whatever reason. A LOT. When I speak now to someone, some react and some don't. Of course the rational part of me thinks they do this because of my bb. I've never had people coughing or clearing their throat around me before so I don't expect these reactions now. The main ones I had were people touching their noses and covering their mouths or putting some part of their hand around their mouth's when they spoke(like the tip of a finger or something).

Anyways, just an update for now. I'm hoping that the antibiotics I've been taking(including Flagyl) haven't contributed to the slight improvements I've felt. I know many of you had success while on an antibiotic. I guess time will tell. Like I've said I've been somewhat inconsistent with taking my meds so it's hard to tell what my final after tonsillectomy results will be until I finish this round of meds(maybe in four days). I've been away for a few weeks so will be scouring the board for anything new I might have missed while away.

Busted
God

Post by Busted »

Hopeful, if you describe the reactions simply as "touching their noses", some of this forum will it's no proof of you having bb. I know what you mean by touching their noses. They rub their side of their nose, they grab their noses, hold one finger in front of their nostril...I get those reactions everytime I talk too. Btw it's so bad that sometimes after they smelled my bb, they are trying to get the smell out of their nose. They do this by blowing out of their nose.

In my opinion it is no use observing other people's reactions. If you have bb then you have it, if you don't then you don't. You can't read their minds, of course if everytime you speak and they cover their nose or move their head a little backwards, I personally think it has something to do with your bb. If you see other normal people speak they can get as close to someone as they want. But you say that some react and some don't, so in your situation it's a little hard to tell. I also think that if you ask someone, they will not even tell you the truth. They'll just say "no" most of the time, even when you do have it, because they do not want to hurt your feelings. Even when it's really a problem for them, which you can tell by the way they react to your bb when you speak.
hopeful
Master

Post by hopeful »

For me at this point, I want to know the severity of the odor. If people react quickly, then I assume it's really bad and if not...does it mean it's not as bad but still there. I know I still have it, I just don't know how much better it's gotten. At least removing my tonsils got rid of the awful taste I used to have in my mouth. It feels much fresher 30mins. after brushing my teeth than it ever has(and this without having taking any of my antibiotics in the last two/three days).

I forgot to mention earlier that my congestion problems still exist. I found out that I'm allergic to dust mites so living in a house with almost all carpeting doesn't help. My nose still gets stuffy quite regularly so I'm looking at either removing the carpeting in my bedroom or purchasing one of those super vaccums.
elliott
God

Post by elliott »

Was the infection in your colon related to anything?

...hehe, yeah you can study how quickly the hand approaches the nose. Sometimes it's a gentle movement of the finger towards a nostril. Other times it's a shock reaction and the entire hand quickly covers the nose. Pay attention also to the index finger swipe to the edge of the eye... that means your breath is unbelieveably bad :-k. Go to a grocery store and talk freely to the check-out person. Look for above clues. You'll know where you stand! 8)
Busted
God

Post by Busted »

They're shocked alright, to smell somethin that bad. I don't think they have ever met anyone with breath as offensive as a chronic halitosis sufferer. I think we are from another planet. We don't even make up to 0,1% of the people on earth. On this planet we will always have bb. If we go back to our planet we won't. If human beings go to our planet, they will have bb too. :P

I was in a subway train today. It was really crowded. I had to get off at a subway station. I asked if I could get off. Everyone immediately made way by stepping backwards or leaning backwards if there was no space. That is the bb-effect. It's like moses splitting the sea. Only you do it with people. Your bb will help you make way. Stand back!

](*,)
Leena
Junior

Post by Leena »

Hey Hopeful,

After my tonsillectomy in August I feel exactly like you.
I mean I notice some results but I don`t have an idea for the real result. The lick wrist test gives a less sour smell. I don`t have any bad taste or something 95% of the time.
When I touch my throat or the back of my tongue with my fingers there is no offensive bad smell compared to before the surgery when it was bad. Now it`s still not good but not a strong one at all and I don`t have an idea if it`s perceivable for other people. I mean maybe everyone has some little smell when touching their throat.

The only way I can tell if I have BB now is by other people`s reactions. They touch their noses or do all those things we know they usually do. However we know they do it for million reasons.
I can`t ask my boyfriens because I think he is not able to smell it anyway, he never reacts, even when I speak at his face. I can`t ask other people either.

So I keep asking myself how bad it really is and how can I know for sure?!?!?!? I am really puzzled and I don`t know what to do.
hopeful
Master

Post by hopeful »

Wow Leena, our situations are so similar. I'm fairly certain that my bb has improved especially since the sour smell is barely noticeable(and sometimes not even there) when I lick my wrist now(even after I drink a huge cafe latte!). Before, there would be that strong vinegar scent 20mins. after I brushed my teeth.

I don't want to ask my boyfriend either because I'm not ready to deal with his response. How can we effectively test our breath without having our feelings hurt? I'm so used to barely muttering anything to strangers when I'm out and about that it's really difficult to re-adjust my habits.

I'm just grateful that the awful bitter and sour tastes I was dealing with are gone for the moment. You said you had your surgery in August and I'm assuming that your improvements have stuck around? If so, that's great.

I think the best way to judge our breath at this point is to use people's reaction even though it's not the most accurate. Until we are ready to outright ask someone, I can't think of any other to judge how much better our breath may be.
Busted
God

Post by Busted »

Leena wrote:Hey Hopeful,

After my tonsillectomy in August I feel exactly like you.
I mean I notice some results but I don`t have an idea for the real result. The lick wrist test gives a less sour smell. I don`t have any bad taste or something 95% of the time.
When I touch my throat or the back of my tongue with my fingers there is no offensive bad smell compared to before the surgery when it was bad. Now it`s still not good but not a strong one at all and I don`t have an idea if it`s perceivable for other people. I mean maybe everyone has some little smell when touching their throat.

The only way I can tell if I have BB now is by other people`s reactions. They touch their noses or do all those things we know they usually do. However we know they do it for million reasons.
I can`t ask my boyfriens because I think he is not able to smell it anyway, he never reacts, even when I speak at his face. I can`t ask other people either.

So I keep asking myself how bad it really is and how can I know for sure?!?!?!? I am really puzzled and I don`t know what to do.
Leena, people turn their heads away from you for a million reasons the moment you open you mouth and speak to them. For a guy, it could be a hot chick that passed him by. If they hold one finger in front of their nose, it could be because they are allergic to somethin (could be allergic to your breath too). But that doesn't mean you suffer from bb. If you see someone who's standin real close to you and the moment you speak to them he takes a few steps backwards and grabs his nose. It could be because he just felt like practising his new dance moves which he learned the day before. Oh yea and grabbing his nose was part of the dance.

For you, if you are not sure if you suffer from it, you can just pretend you don't have it anymore. Just keep socializing until someone makes a comment about it. That's when you can be sure you still have bb. Of course you have to not involve your imagination, but just use your ears and listen. In other words do not imagine someone saying you have bb. The person must be real. If nobody ever makes a comment about it ever again. Then u can jump in the sky.

Do not even bother trying to interpret their reactions. They can do it for a million reasons. And one of the reasons, is because you suffer from bb. Seriously have you ever seen other people talk to each other face to face, they don't move their heads or grab their noses everytime one says somethin. I guess they could not react for a million reasons too. And one of the reasons is the one you described about your boyfriend.

... :?

Oh btw Leena, you say that there are a million reasons that someone could turn their heads away from you everytime you speak. Since there are a million, can you at least give me 20? And why do you think you have bb if no one ever made a problem of it?
Leena
Junior

Post by Leena »

Busted,

I really think there are millions of reasons for someone to touch their nose or turn their head. Today I`ve been observing other people at work - they do that when they talk to people I know have a normal breath.

However, I do have BB or at least I had it before the tonsillectomy. I`ve smelled it myself. When I touched my throat before my finger used to smell. One guy offered me e mint strip once and we were not friends - it was obvious he wanted to make me feel bad. You know all the little everyday things that show us we have it.

About the comments...well, I live in Eastern Europe. The way people act here is very different than people in USA for example (I`ve spend 8 months there and I know). Nobody makes such comments here. It is considered very rude to tell someone they have BB. So my colleagues at work might be commenting but they`ll be polite enough not to do it when I can hear them. So waiting for a comment won`t give any results. :D

And I don`t need someone to make problem of my BB to be worried about having BB. Let me tell you something, I`ve had sex with a guy with BB - we had a great time together and I never made problem of his BB. But the problem was there and it was real reagrdless of the fact it was OK for me. :D

For my BB I don`t want to pretend it`s not there. I would like to find out how bad it is. I feel like it`s gone but I see the reactions every day so it couldn`t be that good. :(
Leena
Junior

Post by Leena »

hopeful wrote:Wow Leena, our situations are so similar. I'm fairly certain that my bb has improved especially since the sour smell is barely noticeable(and sometimes not even there) when I lick my wrist now(even after I drink a huge cafe latte!). Before, there would be that strong vinegar scent 20mins. after I brushed my teeth.

I don't want to ask my boyfriend either because I'm not ready to deal with his response. How can we effectively test our breath without having our feelings hurt? I'm so used to barely muttering anything to strangers when I'm out and about that it's really difficult to re-adjust my habits.

I'm just grateful that the awful bitter and sour tastes I was dealing with are gone for the moment. You said you had your surgery in August and I'm assuming that your improvements have stuck around? If so, that's great.

I think the best way to judge our breath at this point is to use people's reaction even though it's not the most accurate. Until we are ready to outright ask someone, I can't think of any other to judge how much better our breath may be.
Hey Hopeful,

Yes, the improvement has stuck around. The bad taste is almost completely gone. Now I don`t have any indicator for the BB and I have no idea what`s the situation of my breath.

However I see many reactions all the time. Could they be imaginary? Anyway it`s not a good way to judge. In my case I can go to a club a talk close to everybody and nobody reacts or talk to my colleagues at work, not so close to them, and still I see them react all the time. These are controversial results.
I am thinking of going to stranger and start talking really close and see what happens. :D

Does your boyfriend react? I can talk at my boyfriends face and he won`t move. I guess he`s really used to the smell and don`t perceive it anymore.
hopeful
Master

Post by hopeful »

I don't talk directly to his face...still not confident enough for that yet. I actually am not sure if my boyfriend is even a good test subject because I think he is partially immuned.

It snowed the other day which means I can't leave the windows rolled down anymore when driving. I guess a big test will be driving a friend around with nothing but the heat and our breaths. The only thing I've noticed is that the last couple of people I've come into normal range speaking distance with(definitely not face to face!) haven't touched their noses. Then again, I make sure there's always gum in my mouth and I keep what I need to say as short as possible. It's difficult to just try to act all normal when you've seen people with a finger positioned near their nose for so long. I still hold my breath sometimes when passing people even though I don't think it's ever come from my nose! I'm super paranoid and I wish I could just develop an attitude of "screw you, I don't care."
emotional rescue
Sheriff

Post by emotional rescue »

How did you get a boyfriend with that level of insecurity?? How did you meet him?

don´t get me wrong, i´m just curious about it....

Cause i don´t believe in those kind of things like people ¨partially inmuned¨ to bb...

probably yoúr breath is not as bad as you think or he just don´t care...
hopeful
Master

Post by hopeful »

Good question. I actually met my boyfriend 8 years ago when my bb was mild(could cover it up with constant gum chewing and no smell when I licked my wrist). Even if he noticed it then, he never said anything(his brother on the other hand did ask the who farted question occasionally). We dated for 5 years before I decided to move abroad for work. Not long after we broke up due to the distance. I was away for 3 years when the bb suddenly got to the nose touching level around 2 years ago. Recently, I returned home and reconnected with my ex-bf and now we're back together. I think even if he can smell something, he's able to overlook it because of our history. We spent so much time together when we were younger and developed such a strong relationship at that time that it's been hard for both of us to reproduce that kind of a relationship with new people we meet(me especially because of the bb).

I got very lucky because it is nearly impossible for me to meet new people now with my constant worries about my bb.
elliott
God

Post by elliott »

emotional rescue wrote:
Cause i don´t believe in those kind of things like people ¨partially inmuned¨ to bb...
I wouldn't say "partially immuned" to BB, but...

Look at it this way. Have you ever been to someone's apartment and it has a certain smell? All apartments have a particular smell because there are so many odors being mixed and concentrated in one building over the years. One smell in the hallway, and then a different, but particularly stronger smell when you enter the apt. People that live in the apartment don't smell it as a stranger would, but though they can smell it in the hallways.

Once you acclimate to your surroundings, it's like your brain adds the conditions to an OK list. You can leave for years and come back, conditions are the same, and the OK list is still valid.
emotional rescue
Sheriff

Post by emotional rescue »

I still don´t believe in it.

You´re right about the apartment, cause you smell it so much, but with another odor that you don´t smell all the time....it just don´t work that way.

You see, usually, if you try to smeel you´re breath, the first time you will smell something, the second almost nothing, and the third.....nothing. Cause the sense of smell get used to it. But if you wait some minutes, change the ambient or smell some other thing and make it again, the procees starts all over again.

People that smells, bb, bo, whatever, always smells, cause you are in their influenced zone for random periods of time, not all the time. And if you are for many time, you will get used to, but if you go to some other place for some time it all starts all over again. There isn´t an inmunity.

At least that was what i experienced in my life with all the people that I meet that smelled: they just smelled. After that, there´s people that bothers by that and people that they just don´t care.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic