Your Email Address:

First Name:

update

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
waitingforrelief
Sheriff

update

Post by waitingforrelief »

hi all.

i just wanted to post an update, as i haven't been posting as regularly as i used to.

some of you may remember that i have reported some improvement since i started tackling my sinus issues. i used to have VERY bad tastes in my mouth, and all kinds of odors would emit from it.

i will report that the fecal odor is mostly gone, but i definitely still have chronic bad breath-just not fecal breath. i also believe that my chronic dehydration only has worsened the condition, if not being its cause. so i've been working on trying to drink more water, but that's difficult for me, for some reason.

my breath odor seems to be relatively more under control, though not eliminated. the interesting thing is that the odor seems to have changed. sometimes it just smells really stale and sour, and sometimes it's kind of a sewer smell. before all this, it didn't use to smell like this. and at least personally, i prefer the odor i have now than what i had before.

the taste in my mouth has improved, but not eliminated. i still get a salty taste and have sticky saliva (mucus?) sometimes. i'm supposed to have sinus surgery at some point and i'm hoping that it'd help this issue.

i know that i have a lot of digestive issues. i get very frequent acid reflux now, and seem to associate the sour breath with that. when i don't have that and have bb, it seems to be the sewer smell, which i somehow associate with my sinuses, maybe. i do have the feeling of food sitting in my stomach not being digested and feeling bloated after meals. (i've read the betaine HCL supplement thread and would like to try that, only i feel that it might be dangerous to try something like that. i even read on about.com that it's not recommended for anyone to try that without being under the supervision of a physician.)

i still think that two possible causes of my bb have to do with my sinuses and my digestive system. life has been better in terms of how i let bb affect me. i do believe that whatever relief and reduction of odor, maybe even just that i feel better in my general well-being, have helped a lot. which in turn has allowed me to get a healthier perspective about the bb.

for those of you with sinus issues-i started getting this bad odor in my nose a few years ago. thinking back, my major sinus issues happened since i moved to where i live now. i was almost completely asymptomatic when i was living in another city. after i started to go to an ENT last summer, i started to think that everytime i'd get a smell in my nose, it meant that i had an infection. the last time i went to that doctor, he checked me out and told me that i had no sign of an infection. so he gave me some allergy medication (singulair) and told me to try it. i dismissed it completely and just let the samples sit at home. a few weeks ago, i had to go away for a month (back to the last city where i lived), and never smelled that odor in my nose. the day i got back here, my nose got all stuffed up and i started smelling that horrible odor again. that was when i suspected that perhaps i was allergic to something here, and i started to take the singulair. and ever since i started taking it regularly everyday, the nose odor problem has been reduced (not eliminated). but i feel that the sticky saliva in my mouth, and even the bad taste has something to do with that. perhaps it's not exactly the cause of my bad breath, but i do feel like my breath has been worse ever since i came back to where i live.

i have a nagging doubt that bb also has to do with the detriments that bad physical alignment causes to our health. i know it sounds a little crazy-but at least in my case, i think because my physical alignment has been so terribly distorted (which right now has also taken away some of my attention from the bb), all my internal functions have been affected as well. i am pointing this out only because there's a part of me that has always suspected this in myself-you know how sometimes you just have an intuition about what goes on in your body?

in terms of supplements, i am not taking anything anymore. i went through a phase of buying everything out there and i have spent a FORTUNE. now all i use is a tung brush, a natural mouthwash, and i actually started to use toothpaste again. i find that when my breath is bad, using anything would make it almost worse because of the mixing of odors. but when my breath is ok (at least to me), using toothpaste does not make it worse as i used to think. (and i think that 's because it used to always really bad, maybe.)

i am not really on any diet restrictions. i have gone without meat before and it didn't help me. so for now, i will just listen to my body and pick my food that way.
Last edited by waitingforrelief on Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elliott
God

Post by elliott »

Gee WFR, your symptoms are exactly the same as my own. I'd only add that in my case, the "fecal" smell seemed to have come from deeper within, possibly the lungs, but it only seems to come once every other week...It could be a ketosis smell. The other sewage smell is always there, and I'm still not sure how closely it's tied to the salty/sour thick mucous taste. which seems to be somewhat tied to how much/when I eat.

I haven't been into trying a buch of different things. I just keep my mouth clean, and try to keep track of what I eat. I know my BB is digestive/intestinal related, so my next plan is to discipline myself into smaller meals, 6 times a day, with less portion of protien. Proteins, dairy, alcohol, sugar, and acids are the 4 things that I am certain that are breaking down into that sewage smell, however I have not had any fulltime success entirely eliminating anything from my diet, so I'm now going to focus on portion control alone. I'll also be using a journal to keep track of what I eat, which will help me keep a timeline of food intake and BB odors.
Archimonde
Super Angel

Post by Archimonde »

My sewage/garbage breath went away a week after i eliminated dariy products & meat from my diet. I'm not sure what my breath smells like now but it's nowhere near as disgusting as before.
greenman
Advanced

Post by greenman »

this looks like a chance to post my own update.

well so far I've been getting more and more lazy, not doing the activities I should be doing. avoiding friends/family and developed crazy thoughts at the mere sight or sound of hearing my friends/relatives.

what's even more insane is i scream those crazy thoughts in my head so loud that people notice...this is no bullshit, i fear being around anyone because they can hear my screaming thoughts.

sleep is my only friend, and i am getting bored to death again. my hope is I will be seeing an ENT soon, also my suspicions of my tooth being the cause of my misery is still strong. although my parents think of it as a non-issue saying "after a month or two it should be fine"

!!!@!@!well i feel that my insane thoughts are directly coming from tooth ache which has become numbed and turned into very negative thoughts of those close to me. i'm in no position to say what I want, all I can do is wait, go see a damm doctor, probably get more crazy, and still have tooth ache. then go see the dentist, fix my tooth which will hopefully fix my insanity and halitosis.
Archimonde
Super Angel

Post by Archimonde »

i doubt 1 tooth alone can cause severe halitosis, maybe very mild halitosis that can easily be masked with mint.
greenman
Advanced

Post by greenman »

Archimonde wrote:i doubt 1 tooth alone can cause severe halitosis, maybe very mild halitosis that can easily be masked with mint.
i guess i should have been more specific. my theory on my BB is excess bad tension squeezing out gas/liquid from my stomach or not allowing proper intake of food causing the smell.

this may sound baseless but i've experimented and found it to be true. for instance, it's mainly on the left side of my body, the bad tension that is. if i hold anything in my left hand, my breath gets worse. if i do exercises involving standing on my left leg, my breath gets worse. if i bite down on my left sharp tooth or molar, my breath gets worse.

i've broken, my left wrist, my left clavicle, and a minor broken jaw. there is definitely a connection here, i believe the combination of broken bones, bad tension, and strong heavy exercises are causing my BB.

removing the bad tooth may or may not cut off the connection in this web of bad tension. i hope it does. i'm also currently working on my shoulder tension and muscles to strenghten/even out the muscle/bone structure.
waitingforrelief
Sheriff

Post by waitingforrelief »

btw, i've noticed that i get especially bad breath a few days before my period as well. and there's absolutely nothing that i can do about that one! it seems annoyingly pungent. does it happen to you girls?
mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

waiting, i think i have a similar situation also, though perhaps not for the same reasons.

I definitely have multiple forms of bb..

One of which I believe the tonsils and PND is involved,
The other being this nasty sewery smell.. I can definitely tell that it comes from my nose, but I can't determine for sure if it's also coming from my mouth..

searching's theory of sulfur seems rational enough, but I can't help but think that nasal polyps or adenoids or something else in the sinuses could also be responsible..

Getting bad breath during your period makes sense.. I can't say I know much about the female cycle, but your body is flushing out the old stuff and is flowing with various hormones helping to do that job, .. If you've ever gotten very nervous about something, you may have noticed the sweat smells a little stronger than sweat from exercise.. Hormones have a lot to do with that, but I don't believe are directly related to the cause of bb.
Iris
Junior

Post by Iris »

waitingforrelief wrote:btw, i've noticed that i get especially bad breath a few days before my period as well. and there's absolutely nothing that i can do about that one! it seems annoyingly pungent. does it happen to you girls?
Yes, I do have a stronger BB when my period is about to come. Some months, it starts 10 days before my period. I cannot smell my BB, but I taste something strange in my mouth during this time. Also, people react more before my period. I have to avoid meeting my friends before my period. I do sweat more before my period. Moreover, I am very nervous this time. I think hormons play a great role on my BB.
elliott
God

Post by elliott »

It's starting to seem like the odors could be produced any any number of factors. The odor is a way for the body to tell us something is wrong, but may not be specifically linked to anything in particular. Although we all have an odor, the various odors come from different places at different times under different circumstances.

Greenman may be on to something with his/her Tao-like theory. Who knows what the origin is? The point is something is unbalanced, and for whatever reason, the body is telling us thru odor. For all we know, that may be the only single thing we all have in common... that the end result is BB/body odor. ](*,)

Hopefully that is not the case, and we can think a little deeper about when you smell, what are the conditions. Like, if you have increased BB before a period, what other symptoms might you have? Nausea? Stomach cramp? Diahrrea? Maybe it's just the stomach again in overdrive because of hormonal activity?

Nasal Polyps? Well, anything in the nose is related to the tonsils and respiratory system. Maybe your nose is simply inflammed from being irritated over the years. What if you were a nose and had to smell your BB 24/7?

If you eat any miniscule amount of garlic, you'll smell it in your sweat. They are glands that take fluid from our bodies. If any fluid is coming from our bodies, it's going to stink. But, it's probably originated from something you put IN your body. Again, this is why I suggest everyone write what you eat in a journal, and keep track of when/where/how you smell. It is a small step to take for research's sake guys.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic