Your Email Address:

First Name:

NYC doorman Suspended for having bad breath!

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Susie
Sheriff

NYC doorman Suspended for having bad breath!

Post by Susie »

NEW YORK - A Manhattan doorman has been suspended for having bad breath.

Jonah Seeman, who has been ushering tenants into a four-building complex on East 89th Street for 40 years, was told not to come to work Friday because of halitosis.

Seeman said he has stopped eating garlic, uses mouthwash and takes breath mints on the job.
The Brooklyn resident, who supports his 81-year-old mother, has been suspended twice before for bad breath _ one day in May and then again in July.

Apartment dwellers at the Gracie Gardens complex expressed surprise over Seeman's suspension and came to his defense.

"His job, which he does well, is opening the door _ not to be opening his mouth," said Adam Reingold.

Officials with Cooper Square Realty, the management company that oversees the property, did not return calls seeking comment. But the company sent the doorman a letter dated Nov. 21, stating: "We can no longer tolerate the fact that you have severe breath odor while on duty."

The union that represents Seeman, Local 32BJ of the Service Employees International Union, has filed a grievance in the case.

baguio
Advanced

Post by baguio »

Great news. That he may drive them into a litigation nightmare....i really hope so!
elliott
God

Post by elliott »

just..wow.

Filed grievance eh? When the judge smells his breath, I think they'll side with the management.
baguio
Advanced

Post by baguio »

elliott wrote:just..wow.

Filed grievance eh? When the judge smells his breath, I think they'll side with the management.
How the hell can he? If the guy has any sense, he will get credible testimony from med professional to state that his bb has proved to be an incurable disorder. More of this sort of thing wouldnt do any harm to tackle the widespread ignorant belief that its a simple thing to fix or something that someone should never get in the first place if they were anyways hygenic ....which is what they think.

Sue the daylights out of them.
Bloorain
Advanced

Post by Bloorain »

Wow - I hope some really good lawyer reads this article and help this guy sue the pants of them!!!!
j0n1982
Junior

Post by j0n1982 »

i am not sure how to say this, but i understand the point of the management. i mean, the guy's job is to welcome guest... i personally think it would be best if we hire a guy with a good smelling breath to greet guests. it would make better business sense.

maybe they could have offered him with a job in the laundry or something that doesn't literally deal directly with customers, just to soften the blow.

jut my opinion though... doesn't mean i am right.
saveme

Post by saveme »

I feel so sorry for that guy. It must be really depressing to be fired and a thousand times worse now that the whole world knows about such a personal problem. It is almost like he is made a ridicule of. Unwanted fame. Maybe he should just bb-attack the person who fired him. :P
Susie
Sheriff

Post by Susie »

j0n1982 wrote:i am not sure how to say this, but i understand the point of the management. i mean, the guy's job is to welcome guest... i personally think it would be best if we hire a guy with a good smelling breath to greet guests. it would make better business sense.

maybe they could have offered him with a job in the laundry or something that doesn't literally deal directly with customers, just to soften the blow.

Wow, the laundry room? Why don't they just throw him to the wolves??? How can a person be on this site and think like you do? I'm sorry, I just don't get how you couldn't have more sympathy for this person. If the only advice we (people that have bb) have is to offer him a job in the laundry then why should NORMAL people think any different. Does this mean ugly people should also be sent to the laundry room? How about fat people, skinny people, body odor people, one arm people??? Maybe the ugly person should even wear a bag over their heads. I know, maybe they should only put beautiful great smelling perfect people in this job. Sorry for the sarcasm. Wow, your thinking seems very strange to me....just my opinion.
j0n1982
Junior

Post by j0n1982 »

susie: i apologize if my post rubbed you the wrong way. it was not meant that way..

i just realized that this is a lifelong disorder that i have to suffer. personally, i have accepted it in a little way. i dont see myself as a normal person. i am a freak. i offend others when i speak, even when i keep my mouth shut..just by exhaling. i dont feel any better when i see people get disgusted because of the way my breath smells...

when i read his story, it somehow makes sense. if you have H and your work is to greet guests, would you feel comfortable at that? i wouldn't. i feel bad for him. my sympathy is all for him. i get ridiculed everyday by friends, co workers, even relatives... it is just the way it is.

if working in the laundry room is the way to offend less people, i'd take it...not that i suggested for him to be put in the laundry, at least it would be better for him and the business if he worked in a position that doesn't have to meet the guests first and foremost. the guest can always go to any other place where they dont have to smell you stanking H.

i dont see myself nor do i want myself working in a normal environment where you work "closely" with people ; that opens me up to a big embarrassment. it really really is difficult. the heartbreak never stops. it is just me though,
Susie
Sheriff

Post by Susie »

No need to apologize. We are all in the same boat sigh! And you aren't a freak, we just won the stinky lottery that's all.

I personally won't work with the public b/c of this curse, but if someone has the guts to do it I say good for them and wish I had the guts like they do.

Susie
elliott
God

Post by elliott »

j0n1982 wrote:i am not sure how to say this, but i understand the point of the management. i mean, the guy's job is to welcome guest... i personally think it would be best if we hire a guy with a good smelling breath to greet guests. it would make better business sense.

Quoted for truth. It may not be right, but it is life, and this happens all the time. I actually feel that this could happen to me... get fired because of my H. I can already notice people treating me different, one girl in particular is trying to make me look worthless at my position. And if it comes to that and I have to fight for myself... whose going to listen? When I speak up, they'll all hold their nose and understand why people don't want me around.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic