Your Email Address:

First Name:

Looking for a job is not easy

Do you have any quesions about bad breath?
iwillbecured

Looking for a job is not easy

Post by iwillbecured »

One of my resolution for New Year is to find a job ASAP. I have been jobless for a year now due to this bb problem. I quit my last job because it was just too stressful to hear and see co-worker's comments and reactions.

So far I've been to 3 job interviews. I always get stressful about interviews. Then I'll keep on telling myself to relax, because usually stress causes my bb to be even more severe. But I just can't help to have that uneasy feeling when I go to interviews.

The first interview last about 30 minutes. But the lady who interviewed me did most of the talking. We were in a small room and she didn't show much reaction. Well, she did lean back on her chair... (am I thinking too much of reading people's reaction?)

The second interview was with a group of people. There were 4 people in the room interviewing me. One of the girl covered her nose a few times and she left the room early. But the other 3 people didn't show reaction. That interview was about 40 minutes long.

I went to these two interviews last week. Since I haven't heard from them, I am assuming I didn't get the job. Yesterday I went to my 3rd interview. This one was about 1 hour long. The lady asked me lots of questions, and I talked and talked. She scratched her nose a few time. But she just kept on talking to me. Toward the end of our interview, she asked someone else to come in to meet me. When the man came into the room, after shaking my hand, the first thing he did was opening the window. Then my stress level went through the roof! I was thinking "man I must stink up the room pretty bad."

Seriously, looking for a job is just not easy. I am so self consicous about my bb problem that I can't even concentrate on the interview itself. Sometimes I think I'm being too paranoid about people's reaction. But I just can't help noticing little things here and there. Maybe it's all in my head? I don't know.... It's just so hard.

Oh well, I have another interview to go to on Monday. I really hope I can overcome my fear and stress and just do well on interviews.

Do you guys have any tip for going to job interviews?

mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

i really don't have any advice.. i wouldn't want to work somewhere where i wasn't welcomed but i wouldn't really blame them for not hiring me..

it's hard to call this advice, but you may be able to get a factory job a little easier.. you know, a job where you're in an open area and working by yourself. While the job itself might suck, not having to be within a few feet of others might give you peace of mind.

Well anyway, good luck to you :)
findacure
Master

Re: Looking for a job is not easy

Post by findacure »

iwillbecured wrote:One of my resolution for New Year is to find a job ASAP.
Im gonna look for a new job soon, i work as a receptionst where im dealing with ppl face2face all the time...it gets hard sometimes...but the worst aint the people coming to the desk..its the staff im working with they just make the day more difficult for me. Always gustering to strangers trying to bring my BB to thier attention and the snide jokes they make between each other..aw it just hell...

but i think i will be comfortable doing a job like call centre, i wont have to deal with too many ppl.
billie
Sheriff

Post by billie »

I work with older people because of my BB.
They don´t really notice my BB only some of them do.
Even if they notice it , they can´t make gestures to other people cause i´m alone with them. There´s is one old lady that is noticing my BB cause she always gives me sportlife when i leave and she doesn´t give me one no she gives me whole a family pack. It´s so embarrasing when she does that. :oops: :oops:
findacure
Master

Post by findacure »

billie wrote:I work with older people because of my BB.
Even if they notice it , they can´t make gestures to other people cause i´m alone with them. There´s is one old lady that is noticing my BB cause she always gives me sportlife when i leave and she doesn´t give me one no she gives me whole a family pack. It´s so embarrasing when she does that. :oops: :oops:
I guessing sportslife is some sort of mint or chewing gum!..

I just think it so rude, especially when its a stranger to offer u gum or mint.

one time i was at work and this guy i was helping apply for a job, offered my a chewing gum, infront of everyone...the ass, i swear i wanted to take the whole packet and make him swallow it...lol

But i understand about working with old people, thier sense of smell gets weaker as they get older. But that mean working in some sort of care home..and thats not my type of job really
billie
Sheriff

Post by billie »

findacure wrote:

one time i was at work and this guy i was helping apply for a job, offered my a chewing gum, infront of everyone...the ass, i swear i wanted to take the whole packet and make him swallow it...lol

But i understand about working with old people, thier sense of smell gets weaker as they get older. But that mean working in some sort of care home..and thats not my type of job really
I don´t work in a care home.
i go to their house and do all the stuff they can´t do
you know like cleaning and grocery shopping.
I stay 3 hours and then i go to the next person and stay for another 3 hours
so i work 6 to 7 hours a day and they pay me 12 euro´s an hour.
I don´t wanna do this for the rest of my live, i reallly wanna go to school and learn something.
For now this job is good for me ´cause i can relax
I don´t have annoying coworkers that make fun of me all the time.
I don´t wanna stress all the time cause of BB
I just gotta keep doing this job untill ????????????
findacure
Master

Post by findacure »

billie wrote:
findacure wrote:

I don´t work in a care home.
i go to their house and do all the stuff they can´t do
you know like cleaning and grocery shopping.
I stay 3 hours and then i go to the next person and stay for another 3 hours
so i work 6 to 7 hours a day and they pay me 12 euro´s an hour.
I don´t wanna do this for the rest of my live, i reallly wanna go to school and learn something.
For now this job is good for me ´cause i can relax
I don´t have annoying coworkers that make fun of me all the time.
I don´t wanna stress all the time cause of BB
I just gotta keep doing this job untill ????????????
OK, your replying to me as if i was attacking you which is far from what i was doing.

I do have annoying coworkers that make fun of me (not all of the time) and i don´t wanna stress all the time cause of BB, but thats how my world is at the momnet! I have put up with it for 2 yrs and half, i wasnt going to let them win, because i enjoyed my job

But i do think its time for me to move on, im kinda wasted there really, i could be doing great things if i didnt have my BB, but hey that they way my life is until a cure is found.
iwillbecured

Post by iwillbecured »

Call center is a great suggestion. Answering calls doesn't require me to talk to people face to face. Perfect! I'll start looking for call center jobs.

I actually thought about working with elderly already. The second job interview I mentioned earlier was actually with a care center for elderly. But they did told me that since I have no experience doing that sort of job before, they need to consider about hiring me. It's been more than a week and I haven't heard back from them. I am assuming I didn't get the job.

Oh well. Since I do have customer service experience, I think it'll be easier to land on a call center job. Going to send out resume now. Wish me luck! Thank you guys!!
findacure
Master

Post by findacure »

iwillbecured wrote:Call center is a great suggestion. Answering calls doesn't require me to talk to people face to face. Perfect! I'll start looking for call center jobs.
I was thinking the same thing about call centre work, but it then getting through the training with all the other staff that would be difficult for me.

I did do 1 call centre job, and the training was so long, I had to do talks groups session, it was very difficult, but I left before I finished as the hours they offered on hindsight where unsuitable for me.
j0n1982
Junior

Post by j0n1982 »

You are absolutely correct!

It is never easy. I have worked in how many jobs in 3 years. It just doesnt work. Its a painful cycle.

You go through hell just to get any job, then you go through some more hell while/during working. You get humiliated constantly, you get sad, you quit...then you go through hell with your application again. Rinse and repeat.

It just crushes you to fine pieces. Can't help but need to ask the question that has no answer, when am I going to get cured?
iwillbecured

Post by iwillbecured »

OMG... what you described was so true. It truly is an never ending cycle that we all go through. But I keep on telling myself, I need to be strong this time.

I just went to a call center interview this morning. I think I did pretty well. The guy even told me he's pretty sure I will be hired. Hopefully I will hear back from them next week like he said. If I get this job, I have to go through 3 weeks of training. The training might be the hardest part because I have to train with bunch of other people. But if I can go through the training, then I'll be working on my own, which I'll be quite comfortable of doing. I really hope I get this job. Wish me luck!
daisyk
Total Newbie

Post by daisyk »

Good luck with the call center job! I think it is the best idea. I used to do call center years ago. Right now, I've been home with my daughter, but I need to get back to work soon myself. You just need to get through the training and then you're on your own in a cubicle or whatever and you can relax.
lolalola
Junior

I agree....

Post by lolalola »

When I was working at all the different jobs I have worked at, I always felt so alone and never really want to go and have conversations with people. I just don't want to risk seeing them rub their noses or worse offer me mints. This has held me back from ever really meeting new people!!
iwillbecured

Post by iwillbecured »

I just finished my 3 weeks training for the new job. I am so relieved I got through it. It wasn't easy. And I tried my best to keep up the spirit and be extra nice to co-workers.

I didn't really speak to people unless I was spoken to. But when people talk to me, I just try to smile and keep up a normal conversation. I had people scratched their noses, covered their noses, and even pinched their noses. But if they kept on talking to me, I just tried to ignore and continued answering back. Well, they were the ones who wanted to talk to me.

I usually bring my own lunch and couple co-workers would still sit with me to eat together. I got invited to go out for lunch with other co-workers twice. I was surprised when people invited me. I was a little hesitated, but decided to go anyway. It turned out to be great.

On our last day of training, co-workers wanted to go to a bar to celebrate. I was invited, but thought alcohol would make my breath so much worse and maybe I shouldn't go. But throughout the whole day, different people would try to pursuade me to go to the party. I was so surprised how "popular" I was haha. I finally agreed to go and found out why they were trying so hard to get me to go to the party. My coworkers planned a surprised birthday party for me (my birthday was on the following day). It was so sweet of them and I was truly surprised.

Yes, I still have bb. Yes, I still get reactions from co-workers which does make me feel bad. But I just try to be extra nice and do the best of being myself. And by doing so during these 3 weeks, I found out that people might not like the unpleasent smell of bb, but they'll still like you and accept you for who you are. ^^
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic