Your Email Address:

First Name:

Visited Oral Surgeon today re wisdom teeth

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Hey mindyb,
Have you been to see a dentist again to see what they think?
The time of the onset of your BB and this wisdom tooth incident could just be a coincidence, but you definitely need to rule this out.
Go from there, and if nothing is found then see a doctor to get the ball rolling on any other further investigations.
Best of luck.

asd
Master

Post by asd »

Accutane? I Believe I read that drug has caused BB in many people, and if you search online there are procedures to cure BB induced by it. I am quite sure it is that drug, for acne right?

Also Halitosisux, what did the dentist say when they took your tooth out? Did he comment on its infection? And did any dentist before hand mention it?
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

mindyb,
something else to add to my reply, is that to have had the anatomical reasons which caused your problems with your wisdom teeth in the past, they may well be likely to continue causing you further problems with any of your remaining wisdom teeth or molars.

asd,
the tooth i had extracted was in perfect condition with no sign of decay, nor was the gum diseased. Maybe slightly inflamed and irritated though, from the toxins produced in that orgy of anaerobic activity going on.

No dentist i ever saw regarding my BB ever mentioned a possible connection to the situation with that tooth. That's how my cure evaded me for so many years because once you feel able to rule something out, your focus turns to other areas. And it wasnt until i took a long hard look at my mouth and throat in my mirror and started prodding around my teeth, that i realised the smell coming from that area so far back in my mouth. My dentists just didnt have the experience or expertise to make that connection. There is a lot more to my story than that, but basically that's it.

I did some searches on Accutane earlier and found a site which explains a lot of established basic concepts on BB on its main page.

http://cureyourbadbreath.com/
asd
Master

Post by asd »

But did they say anything about the tooth once is was removed?

I am so pleased for you btw mate, its crazy to see something like that can cause so much trouble, makes me really think that the oral cavitie is the most likely cause afterall. How is life now? Did you manage to stop worrying about the BB instantly? Also when did you know you were cured?
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

hi asd,
im not sure what you mean regarding my tooth once it was removed.
When i went to see my dentist to explain i wanted the tooth out, i didnt really need to battle because i'd been advised many years ago that both my bottom wisdom teeth would need to come out eventually because of overcrowding, but that he would refer me to hospital whenever i wished.
So, in order to avoid going into hospital and having to wait etc, i just said that i have to go abroad and that the tooth sometimes gives me problems (which it occasionally did) so i wanted it out immediately, with the intention of getting the other one out at a more appropriate time.
Once i felt encouraged enough to go for this extraction i wanted it done immediately, so i set out to ensure it would happen ASAP.
I never mentioned the reason i wanted it out was because of the BB for the simple fact i didnt need to and even if i did i still wouldnt have mentioned that it was because of BB, because as soon as i've ever mentioned BB to anyone i've always been treated like its some kind of joke. When i first sought help from my doctor he laughed and asked me if im getting married??We're treated like dirt and idiots with this problem. But its so much to do with the psychological effects and lack of outward confidence and the gradual dejection etc which causes us to perceive ourselves in this way, leading others to read these apparent weaknesses in us.

This problem has so many psychological aspects to it. I spent so long convinced my problem had to be much deeper inside me - my genetics, my anatomy, my bad luck or whatever. I'd get so sick of reading anything relating to such things as teeth and gums as causes of BB. But yet even this morning, according to simple facts and statistics mentioned on the link in my previous post, teeth and gums are so inherently likely to cause problems at some point during a lifetime, and yet they can be so easily dismissed as a cause of BB.

"According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), more than 75% of Americans over the age of thirty-five have some form of gum or periodontal disease. Not only does gum disease cause red, swollen or tender gums (especially after toothbrushing), but it also causes deep pockets to form between the gums and teeth. In these pockets, plaque and tartar spread and grow underneath the gumline and provide anaerobic bacteria with an ideal environment to multiply and produce nasty Volatile Sulfur Compounds (VSC’s) that cause bad breath."

After a few days once the taste of blood stopped and healing processes progressed i realised i had something for the first time in my life - a clean mouth - my brother told me my breath wasnt foul anymore like it always had been, and many things i've noticed for myself. And this is how its remained. So now im having to learn to walk because i've been reborn into a life i've that i've hardly participated in. I need to try to keep my feet on the ground and go from there.
I still wake up thinking its all a dream. I still hold my breath when i go round corners, its unreal how much stooping i'd go through and the habits i formed. Slowly but surely im building my confidence to get closer to people.
asd
Master

Post by asd »

well its awesome that you made it mate.

I just meant that when whoever took it out had finished, did they say woah that tooth was infected etc
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

lol ok,
No there was no infection, the dentist gave me amoxicillin a week before as a precaution, but i didnt take them.
The gum was slightly swollen, but i knew there was no active infection at the time because i know the pain when it occasionally flared up deep inside with infection and there was no such pain present. The pocket wasnt like the pockets you get with gingivitis, it was just an area where the crown of the tooth was surrounded by gum and tissue, which created a perfect anaerobic home for oral bacteria to infest my mouth with VSCs produced inside it.
hello
Junior

Post by hello »

mindyb...didnt u post earlier how baking soda helped u with ur bb and u stopped taking it cuz u were pregnant...im wondering y u r not on baking soda anymore, or mayeb now u realize it wasnt helping or is not helping as much as u thought it was
hopefulnblessed

Post by hopefulnblessed »

Well today at 9:30 i had my surgery. All 4 of my wisdoms have been removed. I was sedated so the only thing I remember was getting the IV put in and the doctor telling me I will feel weird in a minute. When I woke up it was all over. I had gauze on both sides of my mouth and was instructed to keep it there for an hour.

I was given 3 prescriptions. Oxycodone, etodolac and Periogard, which is a mouth rinse. It has chlorhexidine in it. It is to kill bacteria. I have to rinse twice a day for 7-10 days.

It is now 4:00 and I feel pretty good. No pain on the right side at all but some discomfort at my top left. Somehow I knew that the top left would be the area that would probably have the discomfort. This is the side where my floss would smell bad most times.

I will give a daily update. I really want us all to be cured of this condition!!!
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Hey i'll be keeping my fingers crossed, i cant wait to hear how u get on now. I had 2 top teeth out at the same time and it was a breeze, i forgot all about it the next day. My recent bottom tooth i was a lot more worried about because it left such a big void and i was always worried about food resting on it. I was just told to rinse with salt water, but i was given amoxicillin a week before, not that i took them though.
I felt feverish the first night, but then that was it really as far as discomforts go.
I really really hope it works for you :)
klif

Post by klif »

Is it possible that dentist can be fooled by wisdom teeth? That he can't see the cause of bb around them? My wisdom teeth looks fine... they are not, I don't know, ruined or looking bad.... but that is not excluding them as a cause of bb? Isn't it?

I was so many times at my dentist, and told him about my bb, and she make a quick look, and said there's no cause. I have 5-6 filled teeth, but in one period, hmmm, trough my high school I wasn't much going to dentist, and then at one time, after high school I fixed these about 4 teeth...bb didn't gone. Can it be that problem is finaly in wisdom teeth? Always have dry mouth, that includes white tongue...

I'm so mad, that in the end you can't even trust your doctors, and dentist's... and dentist, she always offers mi something stupid products than 'amuse' seriously with my, and others bb problem.
asd
Master

Post by asd »

Hell yes dentists can be wrong. Or they can not care. Both good options for making money.
Vivian

Post by Vivian »

asd wrote:Hell yes dentists can be wrong. Or they can not care. Both good options for making money.
I can relate to this...i went to this dentist this past Monday, and the dentist actually tried to talk me out of having my wisdom tooth removed. He tryed his best to convince me that it may just be a matter of drilling/fixing the cavity that i have. But a year ago he said that the flap that I had over it could be contributing to my bb. He also mentioned that the side of my gum line was slightly inflammed, but yet he didn't think i need to have it extracted. I held firm and told him i wanted it out...what could he do by abide by my wishes and refer me to a oral surgeon. I guess he's upset b/c he won't be able to perform the work and make money off of me...oh well.
OdourFree
Junior

Post by OdourFree »

mindyb

I'll swear my bb started following a long course of accutane. I developed really bad acne when I had to come off the pill. I was prescribed tetracycline for almost a full year (no joke) to try to clear up the acne. I complained to the doc that they just weren't working and she said 'yes, you've got some scars on your face, lets get you an appointment with the dermatologist'. I ended up on accutane for several months and I remember it was very shortly after that treatment that I started getting a really bad taste in my mouth. Unfortunately it wasn't until a while after that I realised that my breath was also smelly - no-one told me, I just realised it from other people's reactions.

I still suffer from spots occasionally, thin hair, brittle nails and always, always low in iron, and probably other nutrients as well - maybe I have an absorbtion problem in the small intestine. (I know I must sound gross looking but who cares as long as I like myself !!)

I did mention to a doctor several years ago what medications I was taking at the time the bad taste started but he said it was unlikely that accutane would cause it - perhaps he was wrong.

I too find that my floss smells sometimes and have suspected my teeth but I think I might be able to cross that off my list in the next few days.

As 'asd' suggested, I'm going to route around the internet for some info on accutane and it's side affects.
asd
Master

Post by asd »

I had a look for the accutane and bad breath information on google. No luck as of yet, but I did definitely see it. I think it involved colostrum.

Appears to be some reports of accutane causing BB.

Have a real dig around, you will find it. I will have another search aswell.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic