Your Email Address:

First Name:

I have a strange new theory about BB

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......

Do you always (unconsciously) hold your tongue against the roof of your mouth?

yes
60%
no
40%

Total votes: 15

bimms

I have a strange new theory about BB

Post by bimms »

I noticed recently that I unconsciously hold my tongue up firmly against the roof of my mouth, virtually ALL THE TIME.

So my theory is, does this provide the anaerobic environment that is needed to produce bad breath? If I allowed air to come through my mouth, by breathing through the mouth, would this provide the oxygen that keeps the VSCs from multiplying?

And if I could train myself to relax and stop constantly pushing my tongue against my mouth roof, would bad breath go away?

So I'd like to ask everyone: do you also constantly hold your tongue against the roof of your mouth?

And maybe non-halitosis people don't do this?

Just a theory, I would like your thoughts.

Alex

Post by Alex »

Yeah, I do the exact same thing, I've read somewhere that your tongue is supposed to sit about half way on the roof of your mouth.
Not right up against the inside of your front teeth like with me
Archimonde
Super Angel

Post by Archimonde »

Strangest explanation for BB i've ever heard but not as strange as the person who kept in his mouth wrapped baking soda 24/7.
smelly cat

Post by smelly cat »

There may be something to this. My tongue is always at the roof of my mouth. In fact it's too big for my mouth which is prob why I have an overbite. It's like my tongue is always pushing on my teeth. There's essentially no room for oxygen in there except when I open my mouth.
TeamZissou
Advanced

Post by TeamZissou »

Yep, I do this too
bimms

Post by bimms »

Okay, let's all ask some non-halitosis people if they hold their tongue constantly against the roof of their mouth.

If they don't, maybe we know the difference between halitosis and fresh breath.

Wouldn't it be great if it were this simple?

Of course, I doubt that it is, but it is definitely worth asking the non-halitosis people.

We don't even have to tell them it is research on halitosis, we can just say we are curious if they always hold their tongue against the roof of their mouth... or not.

I just looked at some anatomy diagrams of the tongue and mouth, and they don't show the tongue right up against the roof.

So maybe I'm onto something here.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

I remember when i first started battling against BB i had a similar kind of theory that an open mouth during sleeping was behind mine. So, for around a week or so i taped my mouth up before going to bed, completely sealing it off and i could hardly breathe because of nasal congestion. For a while things seemed to improve, but eventually it just turned out to be another failed remedy where placebo effect was probably the biggest factor.
So yeah, if only "BB" could just be down to something so simple for everyone.
Back to this theory though, i can remember when i was around 15 and the serious BB comments started coming in and my panic and paranoia took over, i started keeping my mouth LOCKED closed for dear life, until then my mouth was never something in my conscious thoughts and i was used to it being in a relaxed state. My mouth doesnt naturally stay closed, i have to literally "suck" it closed by holding my tongue to the roof and creating a kind of vacuum in my whole mouth, which accidentllay lets go occasionally with loud embarrassing gulping noise.
Anyway, in the past when i once had a few guaranteed days to myself, i've exercised trying to consiously keep my mouth relaxed, and must admit my mouth felt less "concentrated" or "hot" or "on fire" with chemical/bacterial heat. It was as though there is a feedback system to the brain, a constant feedback of being subconsciously "told" that my breath smells (through other senses of taste and the feeling of fire in my mouth) which had suddenly been broken. It was actually like having a break from BB, even though i knew the smell was bad in my mouth, i was less able to "feel" it.
DRASTIC
Sheriff

Post by DRASTIC »

Hi all,

I have to agree with halitosisux on this one.

I too became a it paranoid and taped my mouth before going to bed for fear that mouth breathing was causing my bb.

I looked ridiculous and stupid. Not to mention my boyfriend had to sleep beside me with the huge tape all around my mouth. I tried it for a couple days until my boyfriend finally put his foot down and told me never ever to tape up my mouth like that again. I think it probably freaked him out. He must have thought I was going mad.

Anyways, I too thought about my bb being possibly caused by my tongue being pressed against the top of my mouth and teeth therefore causing very little oxgen to get thru. But after thinking about it some more I doubt its the cause. But to each there own because everyone's bb is different.

Drastic
meowkity1
Super Angel

i

Post by meowkity1 »

I was just wondering about this before I read this post. I too keep my tongue up against my roof all the time.
When I try to relax it , its like theres not enough room for it to fall down. When relaxed its still pressed against roof of mouth.

Also we know oxygen kills the bacteris, so would it be ebtter to breath with mouth open, but if you breath with mouth open then it dries it. My mouth is always very hot. I would like some opinions please. thanks. Ive been trying to read all the old posts today, just because I am getting so frustrated. I started crying today, because when I sneezed it smelt like trash. I am so sick of this. I cant take it anymore. I am so thankful for this site, so much info to share. Thanks everyone
Sally

Post by Sally »

I don't rest my tongue at the roof of my mouth, it tends to sit lower in my mouth behind my bottom front teeth

Wish the solution was this simple !
x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic