Your Email Address:

First Name:

How many of you have been to a periodontist?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
ithurts
Advanced

Post by ithurts »

I was recently at a periodontist for a check up. He told me I have one deep pocket and some bleeding gum. I was so embarrassed to tell him about my bad breath which he obviously smells. I later called him and admitted that the purpose of my visit was to see why my breath smells like shit. He said
1) The breath smells like periodontal disease. He could tell.
2) I told him that the strong smell varies and he said it's normal.
3) He told me that if my situation doesn't improve after cleaning and flossing, he would give me some medicine to improve my gum health. I asked him if this medicine is antibiotics, he said no.

What do you guys think?

faith59
Junior

Post by faith59 »

Hi ithurts

I had one of those peridontal pockets fixed a couple of years ago by a peridontist. I had it fixed again in the same spot about a year ago , seems they can happen again , I guess it bone loss . I used to be a smoker and this causes bone loss in the gums. .This may or may not be the main cause of your bad breath. It wasn't for me, hope and pray it is for you. Good Luck!!! [-o<
booberry
Total Newbie

Post by booberry »

I've been to a periodontist. I used to have really deep pockets and I was sure that's why I had BB. Well I went through some deep cleanings, used a special mouthwash, and was checked by the doc again recently. He said my gums look great now. Sadly, it wasn't the cure for me. Hopefully it works for you.

Boo
Alex

Post by Alex »

I am planning to go soon, My front lower teeth get terrible plaque on the insides. The teeth are receding from the plaque. I got them cleaned a while ago but it came back in about 3 months. I have read it is because you have salivary ducts right there.
My finger has a terrible smell when i rub on them.
I would like to get all 4 lower front teeth extracted. I don't know if this will be enough though as i get a bad smell from back of tongue with elongated papillae.
I would like to try a keratolytic agent such as urea or podyphilin resin as i have read online it can treat hairy tongue, though safety has not been cleared. I don't care if it kills me, My only goal in life at the moment is to get fresh breath or die trying.
I'm gunna give sinuswars14 a go too, should get it soon.
I've now made the decision that I WILL NOT live with this problem. So I will try everything for that to happen while i'm alive. If that's not possible I will just have to accept that and take my rope, tie a knot and finish up the game of life a bit early.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

alex dont you think its more likely that the reason the rest of your mouth/tongue/breath smells is because you have underlying unresolved dental problems?
Alex

Post by Alex »

halitosisux, How ya going champ? Hope everything's going well for you, I reckon your a top bloke for trying to help out other people.
Do you think that bacteria from these front teeth would contaminate my whole mouth?, I get nasal odour too.
I also get a strong smell from my upper wisdoms which apperantly there are salivary glands right there too. I don't know if
they are classed as impacted or not, they are about 2mm shorter than the next 2 molars. the other places that has a strong smell are little rough, sore like areas, one on the outside of the gum inline with my upper wisdoms and one inline with my second molar on the inside of the gum, about 5mm from where the tooth meets the gum
Take care man
phineas

Post by phineas »

ithurts,
I went to the periodontist about 2 months ago. I have had a few mouth surgeries and had the feeling that I may have periodontal disease as a result. I was completely honest with him, and basically told him (and his extremely attractive assistant), that I have bb, and it has been a pain in my ass for the last 5+ years. We had about an hour long consultation, in which he told me he could not smell any bb, and he knows bb because of how many people's mouths he deals with. He then checked my gums, none of which were receeding, and then we scheduled a VERY extensive cleaning. I went in for two separate cleanings, each of which took 1 and 1/2 hours (3 hrs total). There was no difference in the taste or feeling in my mouth after the cleanings. All in all, it was an expensive affair (about $700usd), but he did give me a huge discount because I told him I couldn't afford the 2nd cleaning. I'm glad I had it done, for sure, because I feel that I can rule out the possibility of my gums and teeth being a possible culprit for bb. If you have any doubts that ur gums/teeth could be causing the problem, then definitely see the perio, and be completely honest with him. as always, good luck.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Hi Alex, everything going really well here ty, i read what u said about the odour you can detect with your finger and it made me want to scream because this is the classic sign of gum problems. Also ithurts and phineas, it worries me to think that some people have had gum problems in the past and no longer consider this as a factor at all when in fact the underlying reasons for the gum problem to have occured in the first place might still be affecting other areas. In some people it might have even triggered halitophobic responses where they remain convinced their breath still smells to others, just because they are now conscious of a certain taste in their mouth which they now associate with having BB when in fact they've always had it but only now they've become so conscious of their tongues etc. How many times do we hear on this site of REACTIONS from others as feedback on the breath state, yet these same people seem to accurately know exactly what their breath smells like from minute to minute. Its IMPOSSIBLE to know what your own breath smells like to others without someone else's assistance.

Anyway, its a fact that the presense of periodontal disease alters the entire oral flora, but its the odours produced within any diseased areas which is probably the biggest factor in overall odour infestation within the mouth.

I've recently found out that my sister has inflamed gums on one side of her lower jaw and her breath smells like the classic toothy odour which most people with BB tend to have, smelling of mothballs. She's still oblivious to her BB, which suggests to me that familiarization has set in and i've never heard her mention any odour on her finger by touching it.

Her dentist tells her to ignore it because its genetic. Im going to try to accompany her on her next appointment and challenge him on this (putting it mildly).

Its just so incredible to think how she and so many other people can have such a pungent odour and remain completely oblivious to it. Certainly makes me think that the opposite to this can also be occuring, that if the mind can play such tricks with the senses, there could be many people imagining they have BB when they do not.

I know odours can originate elsewhere, such as the lungs, esophagus and nose, for which none of what ive said will apply.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic