THE BAD BREATH COMMUNITY

A little more connection.
A little less alone.

Real experiences. Open conversations. A place to feel understood.

Bad Breath ebook. Top solutions from the owner of badbreathhalitosis.com for your bad breath.THE BAD BREATH EBOOK Discover the ebook ↗
POWERED BY PEOPLE LIKE YOU

Keep the conversation going.

Your donation helps cover hosting and keep this community available.

Donate to the forum ♡

Hi has anyone tried sniffing saline? or salt water baths?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
GreenParadigm
Total Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:03 am

Hi has anyone tried sniffing saline? or salt water baths?

Post by GreenParadigm »

Sniffing saline is an old remedy to cure sinus infections and the common cold. I am just wondering if anyone has used it. I feel it may help me, I read about it today and plan to do use it more often.

Here is the process, you mix 1/4 teaspoon of salt into a bowl of warm water, it should be around two cups of warm water.

For me I just used a regular sized cup and added more salt, I tasted the water and felt it needed more salt so I added more. You may go by taste or just follow the directions. I reccomend also to google for yourself and see the combinations of the water and salt, and maybe using baking soda so it won't burt as much.

Ok now you place your nose into the cup/bowl and sniff the water, it sounds off but that's what you do. You can also use a straw. The best way maybe to use a used nasal spray bottle and fill that with warm water and salt.

The salt water bath is just pouring salt into a tub of warm water and relaxing........ My theory of this is,..... this.... if my ass don't smell whatsoever maybe my mouth won't either....... wacky but may just prove to be true.

My story is this, I had bad breathe and it ruined me. I became a hermit and after months of feeling the pressure I snapped and went gaga and had some insane thoughts. More importantly my bad breathe got a bit better to where I could be with people but at the cost of extreme tension and 24/7 paranoia. Imagine have something as bad as bad breathe to go along with your bad breathe. It is hell. I'm now spiraling upwards though, everything is getting better with counselling and good support.
searching
Master
Posts: 262
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:48 pm
Gender:

Re: Hi has anyone tried sniffing saline? or salt water baths

Post by searching »

GreenParadigm wrote:Sniffing saline is an old remedy to cure sinus infections and the common cold. I am just wondering if anyone has used it.
GreenParadigm,

I use nasal irrigation to clear my sinuses. The method is seen here.

I use a plastic squeeze bottle containing a solution of about 600 mls of warm water, 1/4 teaspoon table salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda ( sodium bicarbonate). Including the sodium bicarbonate makes the effect less harsh on mucus membranes versus using only salt water.
Last edited by searching on Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
GreenParadigm
Total Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:03 am

Post by GreenParadigm »

How long have you been using nasal irrigation and how has has it helped you?

I'm thinking of sniffing the salt through the nose and swallowing it....... Whenever I get a scent of my bb I inhale through the nose and find that there is always a bit of mucus.
searching
Master
Posts: 262
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:48 pm
Gender:

Post by searching »

GreenParadigm wrote:How long have you been using nasal irrigation and how has has it helped you?
I've been using nasal irrigation for about 1.5 years. It has helped a bit. Limiting carbohydrates has helped most.
GreenParadigm
Total Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:03 am

Post by GreenParadigm »

searching wrote:
GreenParadigm wrote:How long have you been using nasal irrigation and how has has it helped you?
I've been using nasal irrigation for about 1.5 years. It has helped a bit. Limiting carbohydrates has helped most.
I see, good advice.
elliott
God
Posts: 791
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:51 pm

Post by elliott »

My Grossan Hydropulse irrigator finally broke after 2 year, but what the hell... I don't think it has done me any good, so I'm not going to replace it.

It does help clean the sinuses out, and feels pretty good afterwards, but the priority is BB, and in my case, nasal issues do not seem to be related to the cause. i think any nasal issues are a symptom of the base problem, which is digestion.
GreenParadigm
Total Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:03 am

Post by GreenParadigm »

elliott wrote:My Grossan Hydropulse irrigator finally broke after 2 year, but what the hell... I don't think it has done me any good, so I'm not going to replace it.

It does help clean the sinuses out, and feels pretty good afterwards, but the priority is BB, and in my case, nasal issues do not seem to be related to the cause. i think any nasal issues are a symptom of the base problem, which is digestion.
I agree, digestion should be the main focus. I plan to use the saline nose spray and see it's effectiveness after a few weeks.

The salt water bath is a good way to reduce bodily odor, I notice that bad smells in general trigger my bb. For example if i smell something bad, for some reason lets say a bad gut reaction I release bad breathe. So I try to only breathe through my mouth when this happens. Even strong perfumes irritate my nose and triggers bb.
celica
Newbie
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:03 pm

Post by celica »

poor us what can I say everybody is going gaga to find a cure . well on aug 12 I will be seeing again an EENT and this time I will pressure him to do a sinus surgey because I believe that is post nasal drip that cause thsi BB. I started having post nasal drip at the age of 24. then at the age of 27 I started noticing thta people are kind of covering their nose and as you grow older it became worst. Im just lucky I enjoyed my teenager life before this happen and find a husband and have two kids before it get worst. Now that I am successful with my career and marriage life then this sinus infection and BB ruin my social life. The only thing I can tell you is dont shove your friends away.. Talk to them on the phone you dont need to see them face to face. When you go out just smile to people around you and avoid talking as much as you can hold. Everything well a little bit okay. Not supe super life but can alleveviate your problem and depression.
GreenParadigm
Total Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:03 am

Post by GreenParadigm »

I hope it goes well with your ent, gl celica
celica
Newbie
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:03 pm

Post by celica »

I cant wait for that day. I need to think positive although I have eben to different EENT like maybe six already so I willl just pray.
tonsolloliths
Newbie
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:42 pm
Location: Arizona US

Post by tonsolloliths »

I have started to use the neti pot (ancient chinese method for cleaning out the sinuses) first thing in the morning before brushing/scraping/waterpik; it has alleviated my PND considerably.

The one I use comes with 50 pre-measured packets of solution, it's called NeilMed NASAFLO Neti Pot. It's plastic not ceramic which I'm not too happy about; but I originally purchased it when I had a severly stuffy nose from a cold, the warm salt water broke up all the snot and made it easier to breathe.

G
GreenParadigm
Total Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:03 am

Post by GreenParadigm »

I pray for you too Celica.

At the moment I am using a Saline Nasal Spray, I used neti in the past and it worked great. The saline nasal spray is helping, it does make me feel better.

This is off topic but what I've noticed is my body odor is 2x maybe 3x that of other people. I can smell others body odor and it isn't near as strong as mines...... That is a reason why I wanted to do saline baths, I haven't really gotten the chance so I may just injest a cup of salt warm water with lemon after a meal.
tonsolloliths
Newbie
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:42 pm
Location: Arizona US

Post by tonsolloliths »

so I may just injest a cup of salt warm water with lemon after a meal
GreenParadigm,
Are you drinking the cup of salt water? I think this is dangerous, please do not ingest large amounts of salt water.

As for the body odor, you may want to read up on TMAU. Here is an excellent informative news clip about it and the foundation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy4f7rUicVA

G
GreenParadigm
Total Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:03 am

Post by GreenParadigm »

Thank you for the youtube clip, it was enlightening.

Drinking the salt water isn't a very good but I believe it doesn't get really absorbed and passes through the body.... It's like a mini salt water cleanse... For a regular salt water cleanse you ingest 4 cups of warm salt, each 16oz.. You just put 1 teaspoon of salt for the whole 4 cups...

What is interesting is Camill in the video solved her issue through diet, just like that one guy in that thread here I read a few days ago...
tonsolloliths
Newbie
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:42 pm
Location: Arizona US

Post by tonsolloliths »

GreenParadigm,

Yes, it was nice to see how the culprit bacteria was singled out and the patient just had to avoid foods that had high concentrates of it. Her case was that she was born with the inability to get rid of it naturally like most people can. I was also encouraged to see that there is a foundation for others with TMAU; I hope it helps sufferers of this disorder.

Now if only someone would begin a foundation for halitosis sufferers!

Thank you for enlightening me about the salt water cleanse. I know drinking salt water is dangerous, I just wasn't sure of the amount it takes to become dangerous.

G
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
Bad Breath ebook. Top solutions from the owner of badbreathhalitosis.com for your bad breath.Discover the Bad Breath ebook Explore the ebook ↗
A LITTLE SUPPORT IN YOUR INBOX

Let’s stay
connected.

Sign up for free bad breath tips by email.

ADVERTISING OPPORTUNITIES

Your banner. Right here.

Introduce your brand to the Bad Breath Halitosis community.

Advertise here ↗