Thanks for your reply. I think I understand your main point in that values will vary depending on what's been eaten etc, and that its about isolating the source by analyzing the results from different samples taken. I see how use of zinc is used to determine type 1 cases, based on the levels before zinc is used.
So in other words, just taking a single halimeter reading to determine whether a person has bad breath or not is misleading because a person may have eaten something which which gives a high reading and on a different day when these foods are not consumed, may give a normal reading. So the halimeter wont distinguish between bad breath and other strong odours from foods eaten, such as garlic.
If you know the gasses you are looking for, would gas spectrometry be able to distinguish the difference between strong bad breath odours and strong food odours?
Do you come across many patients with TMAU? or patients that you cannot determine the cause of or to be able to cure them?
THE BAD BREATH COMMUNITY
A little more connection.
A little more connection.
A little less alone.
Real experiences. Open conversations. A place to feel understood.
THE BAD BREATH EBOOK Discover the ebook ↗
POWERED BY PEOPLE LIKE YOU
Donate to the forum ♡
Keep the conversation going.
Your donation helps cover hosting and keep this community available.
Why do relatives not detect our BB?
Let's be honest with ourselves, we know we have BB. Probably 80% of the people we interact with can smell it. The thing is that some people is more polite than others and just won't tell you to not make you feel bad. Also some people is more sensitive than others, while for some people the smell might be unbaerable for others is not as bad. When I first started to have nose fart smell my father was the first one or one of the first ones to start asking me if I farted. Now neither my mother or father will mention my breath. I truly belive that they are not as sensitive to the smell now as they were when I first started with this. How ever they see the desperetion state I'm in so they won't mention BB at all. So I'll never be sure if they are truly less sensitive or just trying not to bring me down.
-
halitosisux
- Moderator
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm
Thanks for the reply.. I dont really know that much about breath diagnostic tests, never went to any breath clinics or ever had anything measured. I was in no doubts about my breath status. I never imagined my cause could turn out to be something so simple. I knew it was coming from my tongue and nowhere else (at the time). I had no nasal odour.
The reason why I am asking all these questions is because I basically wanted to know if it was ever possible to be able to absolutely rule out type 5 cases. I guess from what you say with what equipment is available, that this is still not yet possible.
Aydinmur do you ever come across cases where nothing obvious seems to be wrong with sinuses, even after examination by an ENT, but then after more thorough examination the bad breath is found to be originating from a problem in the sinuses?
Have you ever come across patients where really bad room-filling odours get released only when a person sneezes? At other times there is no odour. There must surely be some connection to this phenomenon and the nasal odours that many people on here are plagued with - assuming that the sneeze odours do actually come from the sinuses, because no one with this strange phenomemon seems entirely sure.
The reason why I am asking all these questions is because I basically wanted to know if it was ever possible to be able to absolutely rule out type 5 cases. I guess from what you say with what equipment is available, that this is still not yet possible.
Aydinmur do you ever come across cases where nothing obvious seems to be wrong with sinuses, even after examination by an ENT, but then after more thorough examination the bad breath is found to be originating from a problem in the sinuses?
Have you ever come across patients where really bad room-filling odours get released only when a person sneezes? At other times there is no odour. There must surely be some connection to this phenomenon and the nasal odours that many people on here are plagued with - assuming that the sneeze odours do actually come from the sinuses, because no one with this strange phenomemon seems entirely sure.
-
halitosisux
- Moderator
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm
Incredible to think that such a small piece of plastic sitting inside the sinus could have gone completely undetected and remain asymptomatic except for the odour. That the odour when sneezing was strong enough to cause a room evacuation! This was with standard x-ray tomography showing nothing abnormal either.
Ethmoid cellulae - does this involve the Ethmoid sinuses? Attention always seems to be focused on the maxillary sinuses, but there are these other sinus cavities and these could well be getting overlooked.
If I still had BB and everything was pointing to a type 2 case of BB, I would want to know WHERE and WHY this odour is happening inside my nose.
Can you diagnose whether odour is originating within the nasal cavities, separate of any type 1 odour that may be of a subsequence of a type 2?
Ethmoid cellulae - does this involve the Ethmoid sinuses? Attention always seems to be focused on the maxillary sinuses, but there are these other sinus cavities and these could well be getting overlooked.
If I still had BB and everything was pointing to a type 2 case of BB, I would want to know WHERE and WHY this odour is happening inside my nose.
Can you diagnose whether odour is originating within the nasal cavities, separate of any type 1 odour that may be of a subsequence of a type 2?
-
halitosisux
- Moderator
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm
Aydinmur, thanx for reply.
From what you say, I understand that type 1 cases, if not caused by obvious factors such as dehydration, bad teeth or gums etc, that type 1 cases can also be exclusively a symptom of type 2 and possibly type 3 cases.
I understand how your techniques can isolate a type 2 case, irrespective of whether a type 1 case exists or not. Can you also separate a type 2 case in the presense of type 4, and possibly type 3 and type 1 cases?
If I had BB and someone could prove to me that odours were actually being produced inside my nasal cavities, I would not rest until somebody was able to tell me WHY this is so. Surely there cannot be any medical reason why odours should be produced inside the nose, other than a localized problem directly affecting the situation within the nose itself, such as infections, poor drainage/aspiration, foreign bodies/structural abnormalities, tissue damage etc etc.
From what you say, I understand that type 1 cases, if not caused by obvious factors such as dehydration, bad teeth or gums etc, that type 1 cases can also be exclusively a symptom of type 2 and possibly type 3 cases.
I understand how your techniques can isolate a type 2 case, irrespective of whether a type 1 case exists or not. Can you also separate a type 2 case in the presense of type 4, and possibly type 3 and type 1 cases?
If I had BB and someone could prove to me that odours were actually being produced inside my nasal cavities, I would not rest until somebody was able to tell me WHY this is so. Surely there cannot be any medical reason why odours should be produced inside the nose, other than a localized problem directly affecting the situation within the nose itself, such as infections, poor drainage/aspiration, foreign bodies/structural abnormalities, tissue damage etc etc.
Discover the Bad Breath ebook Explore the ebook ↗
ADVERTISING OPPORTUNITIES
Advertise here ↗
Your banner. Right here.
Introduce your brand to the Bad Breath Halitosis community.