Your Email Address:

First Name:

Do you think we could be suffering from this condition??

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
bbsux
Advanced

Do you think we could be suffering from this condition??

Post by bbsux »

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/MindMoodNe ... d=10743337

read this article plz and let me know what you think about it. Its recant article from June 2010..

Wikipidia description
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olfactory_ ... e_Syndrome

I dont know , i think i might be suffering from it because i think i have bb, bad body odor, and that my clothes smell.. (well atleast i feel like my clothes have a funky smell every time i smell them)

I feel like i am going crazy , its a long but interesting read IMO... I would really appreciate it if you read and gave me your thoughts on it.

I am in university and i notice the hand under nose , sometime coughs, weird expressions when i talk to people but those same people keep sitting in same seat or similar seat in my area. You would think they would change seats or move as far away as possible from me as soon as they notice that i smell bad but it never happens. Furthermore the people i do talk to ( i still try to be as social as possible) become friendly with me and continue sitting next to me. This girl that i was cool with in the class and was sitting next to me whole semester keeps inviting me to go to clubs with her and to hangout with her (I have been avoid hanging out for the whole summer always making up excuses like i am busy). WOULD SHE REALLY WANT TO GO TO A CLUB WITH A STINKY GUY WITH BB?? Personally If i didnt have the condition no way do i invite a stinky person to go to a club with me or to hangout with and i think most people wouldnt.

Same thing with male friends from college, was in a group in few of my classes and those same people used to sit next to me and tried to stay in contact w me but i usually never continue. Had a guy want to take all classes w me, had a guy want to play basketball w me and my friends ( i mentioned we played) , another guy texted me the other day out of the blue to see whats up. Would I REALLY WANT TO STAY FRIENDS WITH A STINKY DOOD W BB? I prolly would not and you would think that not many people would...

My friends from HS and from previous jobs always invite me to go out play poker, eat with them, and do stuff and most of the time i dont. WTF WHY WOULD THEY INVITE ME TO SUCH PLACES IF I SMELLED BAD OR HAD BB??

I am so confused??? I notice all these signs around me, same signs that you all notice but than Articles like those and the fact that people want to hangout w me makes me question if they are real or am i just seeing them because i constantly look for them. I continue to try and be social , force my self to go out with these people but everytime i do, its a nightmare because i constantly think about if i am smelling bad and am looking for signs.
Last edited by bbsux on Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bbsux
Advanced

Post by bbsux »

Here is another example, it is more detailed ...Please read this story, it is the same story that we have read on this same site many times...

http://www.jfponline.com/Pages.asp?AID=4796

Delusion of body odor causes shame, social isolation.
Katharine A. Phillips, MD

Professor of Psychiatry and human behavior Brown Medical School
Providence, RI
David J. Castle, MD

St. Vincent’s Hospital The University of Melbourne Australia

Ms. A, a 21-year-old teacher, recalled always having been “sensitive,” but when she started her first job at age 19 she began to believe that she emitted an offensive odor. She experienced thoughts that she passed offensive flatus, her breath had a fecal odor, and people noticed and were offended.

Gradually Ms. A became more convinced of these distressing beliefs and began to think that she permeated fecal odor through her skin. She also became sure that colleagues were talking about her and that they complained about her “disgusting” smell

Patients with olfactory reference syndrome (ORS) falsely believe they emit an offensive body odor. Prominent referential thinking—believing that other people perceive the odor—also is common. To introduce you to ORS, we discuss its clinical diagnosis and treatment based on our review of several hundred cases, including the largest reported series of patients with ORS.1-4
The bolded part is a story exactly like me and i am sure it is like many of you on this board. Continue reading rest of the story on the website... I did the exact same thing as that girl,

Looked for signs all the time, sat away from people in meetings at work even though they wanted me to sit next to them, and tried to get out of the meetings. Just like her i even confronted my manager and asked if i had bb and if i smelled and asked if i should quit and he said he never smelled anything and didnt want me to quit. (ofcourse i thought he was just being nice and trying not to make me feel bad). When i left my job to go back to school my General manager (different manager) actually cried and begged me to stay. (WHY BEG A STINKY PERSON TO CONTINUE WORKING FOR YOU , SHOULDNT YOU BE GLAD YOU DONT HAVE TO BE IN MEETINGS W HIM??

Many of us have been to doctors that have told us we dont stink or we dont have bb and we think they are lying to us trying not to hurt our feelings. WHY WOULD THEY COME UP WITH A DISORDER FOR THOSE SAME PATIENTS LIKE US IF THEY REALLY COULD SMELL US and were only trying to make us feel better by telling us we dont stink?
meowkity1
Super Angel

Post by meowkity1 »

I feel the same wqay. I have guys that constantly call me and I think "why"?
I have an old school friend that recently found me. She rubs but she constantly calls me to go out with her. I dont know anymore. Its getting confusing
meowkity1
Super Angel

Post by meowkity1 »

All 3 articles completely fascinating. Its me all the way but I was sure I stink, atleast before getting my tonsils out. I am wondering if I am now suffering from this. I still feel I cannot eat around anyone.
billie
Sheriff

Post by billie »

I wish this was the problem, but i just know i have bb.
willfindacure

Post by willfindacure »

I also wish this is just my problem but I am 100% SURE ITS NOT.
I get lots of invitation too but I normally turn them down cause its so hard to socialize when you see reactions from people. Maybe the reason you get lots of invites is because you are simply cool/kind to be with and people like you for being you no matter how bad you smell. I think its better to be friends with people who really doesnt care whether you stink or not. Afterall "its just a smell" and not some contagious disease. ;)
KeepTrying09
Sheriff

Post by KeepTrying09 »

willfindacure wrote:Afterall "its just a smell" and not some contagious disease. ;)
LOL, I think some people here have mentioned they thought bb was contagious.
bbsux
Advanced

Post by bbsux »

well i am forcing my self to interact with people, i still go to gym and continue going to school.
bbsux
Advanced

Post by bbsux »

i seriously think 90% of people including me have this problem. Recently i met another poster from this site in real life. we could not smell each other at all yet we still think we have a problem

Its funny how most people are ignoring this thread... face it most of us are suffering from this conditions.
azishazi
Junior

Post by azishazi »

lol I am confused at this point.

one of my teachers in highschool horrible breath everyday but he was everyone's favourite teacher. but offcourse you could only smell it if he came close to you to give you individual attention.

But I am sort of confused. I really hope this is my problem, but even though I would not jump to conclusion with surety that more people are imagining it. I can tell this much I can say for sure that some people are over imagining it.

1) There is no way you can fill up a room with bb lol. And at most it is only detectable from close range. Try this test. put your hand infront of you mount and start speaking and proceed to take your hand away as you continue speaking. You would only feel the breath blowing maximum like 6 inches.

Few years ago I used to think I need atleast 2 feet distance from people to speak, but I think I was over imagining the problem then.

But anyhow, filling up a room with bad breath is not even scientifically possible.
mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

azishazi wrote:lol I am confused at this point.

one of my teachers in highschool horrible breath everyday but he was everyone's favourite teacher. but offcourse you could only smell it if he came close to you to give you individual attention.

But I am sort of confused. I really hope this is my problem, but even though I would not jump to conclusion with surety that more people are imagining it. I can tell this much I can say for sure that some people are over imagining it.

1) There is no way you can fill up a room with bb lol. And at most it is only detectable from close range. Try this test. put your hand infront of you mount and start speaking and proceed to take your hand away as you continue speaking. You would only feel the breath blowing maximum like 6 inches.

Few years ago I used to think I need atleast 2 feet distance from people to speak, but I think I was over imagining the problem then.

But anyhow, filling up a room with bad breath is not even scientifically possible.
I've known a person who always had BB, and it filled his little bedroom.. If he was talking in the room, you would smell his breath. And it seemed to linger.

I've also known a guy with BO that filled rooms even immediately after he showered... He must have been a TMAU sufferer.
azishazi
Junior

Post by azishazi »

I dunno dude, I don't even think contineous farts would linger in a room more than a minuite. I have smelled people's bb before, I smell it for few seconds but they keep talking its like more starts coming.

Do you think bb sufferer's car would also stink then ?
mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

I dunno dude, I don't even think contineous farts would linger in a room more than a minuite. I have smelled people's bb before, I smell it for few seconds but they keep talking its like more starts coming.
Well a minute would be hell, for most people with BB, when they open their mouths to say a few words a second is all it takes for people to be disgusted.

I'm not saying it covers the room like it's being painted or it gets into the furniture, but I've experienced a couple situations where people with really bad BB could just be present in a room or on a train, and if you were anywhere close to them you'd be able to smell it.

As for myself, I don't think my BB actually fills a room, but if I'm talking in someone's direction, even if they're 6 feet away I've gotten clear reactions. I work in small classrooms where I have to be somewhat close to students. I push the desks as far back as I can but if I have to continuously talk in the direction of a person, they will react.

And it's in close quarters with other people breathing where I can get whiffs of my own breath.

Just because you're a halitophobe doesn't mean everyone on this site is.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic