THE BAD BREATH COMMUNITY

A little more connection.
A little less alone.

Real experiences. Open conversations. A place to feel understood.

Bad Breath ebook. Top solutions from the owner of badbreathhalitosis.com for your bad breath.THE BAD BREATH EBOOK Discover the ebook ↗
POWERED BY PEOPLE LIKE YOU

Keep the conversation going.

Your donation helps cover hosting and keep this community available.

Donate to the forum ♡

CAN IT BE FROM...THE LUNGS?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
stressedout
Master
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:25 pm

Post by stressedout »

halitosisux,

are you not cured? i had an impression that you are...sorry if you have to repeat it, what was your cure? thanks.

and on your comment, we arent doctors to be able to consume so much info (by the way thanks for so much patience to write what you know). i guess i am the only one who gets a heavy feeling when something else comes up that "could be the reason or the cause". im talking about way scientific stuff.
sadman
Advanced
Posts: 155
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:18 am

Post by sadman »

Bacteriology of the Maxillary Sinus in Healthy Volunteers

1992, Vol. 24, No. 5 , Pages 633-635

* PDF (177 KB)
* PDF Plus (128 KB)
* Reprints
* Permissions

Johnny Sobin1, Stefan Engquist1 and Carl Erik Nord2

1Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Huddinge Hospital, Södersjukhuset

2Oral Microbiology, Huddinge Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden


In order to investigate the bacteriology of the healthy maxillary sinus, 12 volunteers were subjected to antral puncture with instillation of sterile saline, followed by aspiration. Maximum efforts were used to obtain aspirates without contamination. None of the aspirates showed bacterial growth.

A healthy sinus is sterile . The small opening from the sinus into the nose can be easily blocked by swelling or by infection. Once it is blocked, the mucus within the sinus has nowhere to go and pressure builds up. At some point, symptoms will be perceived due to the increased pressure. As long as the sinus remains sterile, there is no accompanying infection. However, nasal mucus is rarely sterile, and there often is secondary infection. As the sinus fills with fluid, bacteria trapped in this moist, warm environment find it an excellent place to grow. The bacteria begin to multiply and cause infection
stressedout
Master
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:25 pm

Post by stressedout »

However, nasal mucus is rarely sterile, and there often is secondary infection. As the sinus fills with fluid, bacteria trapped in this moist, warm environment find it an excellent place to grow. The bacteria begin to multiply and cause infection
We all have mucus, what is it 1liter per day as ENTs say? What now, does it have secondary infection? We dont want to live mucus free, do we?
halitosisux
Moderator
Posts: 3266
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Post by halitosisux »

Stressedout, yes I had BB all my life (40 years) until last year when I had a wisdom tooth out. Until the age of 15 I never looked after my teeth because I was told constantly that I had BB so as far as I was concerned there was no point in brushing my teeth. Now I realise the only reason I had BB back then was because I wasnt brushing my teeth. Then when I was 15 I was told I needed to get help because my breath was so bad. I now started to take care of my teeth because I had become very self-conscious from this point, but unfortunately my wisdom tooth started erupting at this point and started forming a pocket at the back of my mouth. Roll-on another 25 years of bad breath hell.

I understand your sinking overwhelmed feeling, and I'm sorry for that. But this site is actually about finding the cure for this curse and nobody makes you read the posts, so if you dont like the heavy feeling then maybe you should be more selective in what you read on here.
stressedout
Master
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:25 pm

Post by stressedout »

But this site is actually about finding the cure for this curse
Which type of BB is the cure being found for, or perhaps for all 5? That's be awsome.

Thanks for the advice, yes i am about to be wrapping up soon.
brightonguy
Advanced
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:49 am
Location: United Kingdom

Post by brightonguy »

stressedout wrote:halitosisux,

we arent doctors to be able to consume so much info (by the way thanks for so much patience to write what you know). i guess i am the only one who gets a heavy feeling when something else comes up that "could be the reason or the cause". im talking about way scientific stuff.
I agree that there is a dazzling array of information to consider but in a sense we have to be our own doctors, that's the point cuz not many real doctors know anything about this, sigh
stressedout
Master
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:25 pm

Post by stressedout »

I agree that there is a dazzling array of information
Yeah i guess its good to have the info, but im wondering if im the only one that the info makes jumping and wanting to do another test (or wait my doctor will think im crazy or playing doctor myself). Just ran to xray my sinuses, i bet they will not find a thing, and then i will be wanting to xray my lungs.
halitosisux
Moderator
Posts: 3266
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Post by halitosisux »

Stressedout, maybe the answers are already out there for every single person on here to cure themselves. There are so many ways that the bacteria in our bodies can cause us to smell bad. None of us were born with BB. So its about understanding how it might have started and hopefully being able to work our way back to what caused it to start in the first place. The only way to do that is through having these discussions and using trial and error until you get lucky enough to stumble on the answer.

That's what I think anyway. There is no alternative way of thinking about it, unless you just accept yourself with BB and learn to live with it. As long as I could smell my own shit stench coming from my mouth whenever I talked, then there was no way I could ever just accept myself like that. That's how I ended up living a life that was on permanent hold.
stressedout
Master
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:25 pm

Post by stressedout »

halitosisux,
there was no way I could ever just accept myself like that. That's how I ended up living a life that was on permanent hold.
Totally agree with you, no one could accept themselves having BB and wanting to live with it. And please dont misunderstand me, from the little time i've been here you are the biggest contributor to this site day after day. The major causes that are mentioned on this site, can be also found elsewhere on the net, as for the more scientific stuff - i have a hard time understanding some about saliva etc..and we cant test ourselves in such regards. I bet there are many who do not know what type they suffer from, thus its more difficult to comprehend where to throw all the efforts to.
maybe the answers are already out there for every single person on here to cure themselves
Well, you mentioned a cure was about to be found, there is a difference between finding a particular definite cure for each BB type out there and having to find your own cures by trial and error, if that was so easy would there be so many depressing posts, and some people are here for years and not cured. If the answers are out there, wouldnt Jimi the owner of this site be cured by now? If he is, then Im sorry and i'd love to know what his cure is. Im inclined to think he is not otherwise his cure would be advertised all over on this site. Now, if the owner is not cured, then in my opinion the answers you are talking about are not so precise.
There are so many ways that the bacteria in our bodies can cause us to smell bad.
Is this for sure that any type of BB caused by bacteria? Does this mean it would be shown in doctors tests?

So many have been members of this site and many just vanish, some are here posting for years. What, are they all so dumb not to be able to use the answers? I doubt that. I am about to start to believe that many have already come across their cure, but the mind draws them back to BB. Otherwise this site would have by now become a chat between many ex sufferers and current ones that are being helped. We all talk about same things - sinuses, lungs, tongues, candida, digestion, teeth, you name it, and it goes on and on (not many people "cured" thats my only concern).
sadman
Advanced
Posts: 155
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:18 am

Post by sadman »

stressedout
We all have mucus, what is it 1liter per day as ENTs say? What now, does it have secondary infection? We dont want to live mucus free, do we?
There is a secondary infection only when the sinus is blocked and the mucous has nowhere to go , otherwise the mucous will wash out the bacteria and the sinus is sterile .
Yeah i guess its good to have the info, but im wondering if im the only one that the info makes jumping and wanting to do another test (or wait my doctor will think im crazy or playing doctor myself). Just ran to xray my sinuses, i bet they will not find a thing, and then i will be wanting to xray my lungs.
That's the problem of having too much informations and conflicting informations , for example if someone said that Type 1 ( Fetor Oris , BB from the mouth ) is rare and you believe him since he is a specialist , you will try to find some other cause of your BB unnecessarily but in fact 90 % chance is that you have Type 1 if you are totally healthy . I think this is a more easy to understand and remember classification of BB :

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... =firefox-a

If you can eliminate diseases that cause BB , you have Fetor Oris ( Type 1 !! ) which is the most common . That's why my concentration now is to find the cause of that overgrowth of BB bacteria in Fetor Oris and if that's impossible to find a way to control their growth instead of using something to mask the odor . The other type of BB are rare and can be treated since it has a cause and will go away if that cause is taken care of . I disregard nonsense or imaginary thesis so to not being confused . So use your own judgement
halitosisux
Moderator
Posts: 3266
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Post by halitosisux »

Stressedout thanks for your reply. Nobody with BB can be certain whether their problem is due to known established causes or unknown causes. Nobody on here has tried everything there is to try. And even people with TMAU, once diagnosed and once they know what they are fighting against, can often effectively manage their problem.

This site is about sharing tried and tested ideas that are known to help, sharing information that may lead to someone discovering their cause, and of course trying to think outside the box at the science of what could be behind any unknown causes in the hope that eventually it could lead to new discoveries.

@sadman, thanks for all your responses and ideas, its always good, informative and thought provoking to read your posts.
sadman
Advanced
Posts: 155
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:18 am

Post by sadman »

This is another example of how conflicting data might be :

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 4/abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19490798

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10664686

http://www.joms.org/article/0278-2391%2 ... 8/abstract

Two studies said that Normal Sinus is sterile , two studies said that it's not sterile . It makes you confused, right ? So can a sinus microflora if exists produces VSC's and causes nasal fart ? No data supports that theory at the present time , so why to bother ? Just pay attention to what is significantly evident to simplify your quest . My utmost attention now is Fetor Oris ( type 1 according to Dr. Murat) which I think is the most common and most difficult to treat . While we all know that Type 1 is caused by an imbalance of the oral ecology which favors an overgrowth of bad bacteria , we still do not know the reason of that imbalance . While awaiting an answer ,what we can do now is to minimize the growth of those bad bacteria by long term treatment which does not cause a bacterial resistance or systemic side effects such as antibiotics .

I sincerely would like you to give more input in this, Dr. Murat if indeed you want to help us . The informations you gave us so far is scarce in my opinion , just in the format of Q & A , may be because you do not have time . Thanks in advance
Phantasist
Sheriff
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:32 pm

Post by Phantasist »

80% to 90% of bad breath is due to a microfloral imbalance in the mouth with the anaerobic bacteria out of control and producing volatile sulphur compounds. We have learned that possible reasons for this are problems with teeth, tonsils or sinuses. However, not everyone with these problems has bad breath, and many people who do have bad breath don't have any one of these problems. That leaves us with the question: Why is there an overgrowth of anaerobic bacteria despite no APPARENT cause? I'm afraid that your line of investigation will lead you to a deficiency of immunoglobulin A, and other antibacterial substances in the saliva.
By the way, I have touched on this before, but every time I do, Halitosisux gets mad at me. I hope he doesn't browbeat me again. I apologize in advance.
The hand we are dealt is fate. How we play the cards is free will.
bad day1
Newbie
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:42 pm

Post by bad day1 »

halitosisux wrote:Stressedout, yes I had BB all my life (40 years) until last year when I had a wisdom tooth out.
Hey Hal. Did you ever cough out those smelly white stones during the time you still had BB? I just want to check, if those stones occur with dental-caused BB. Thanks.
halitosisux
Moderator
Posts: 3266
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Post by halitosisux »

Good question BD1. I cant actually remember when I first started coughing up tonsil stones. I dont remember them in my early childhood, but maybe its because I just didnt notice them. I definitely do remember them during my teens. I can remember asking other people about "their" stinky shit balls thinking everyone must have them, but nobody seemed to know what I was talking about. When I discovered they were coming from my tonsils (roughly about 1990) I felt 99.999% sure that this would be the cause of my BB. I didnt know about my wisdom tooth odour at this time. It took me 7 years to decide that it was worth having my tonsils out to try to see if they truly were the cause - which they most definitely werent. Not long after having my tonsils out, I discovered the stench coming from the gum around one of my wisdom teeth. This was on my right side, and it was always my tonsil on my right side that smelled the worst and produced the most stones - I dont think that was a coincidence, I think it related to the wisdom tooth, but there is always a chance it was a coincidence.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
Bad Breath ebook. Top solutions from the owner of badbreathhalitosis.com for your bad breath.Discover the Bad Breath ebook Explore the ebook ↗
A LITTLE SUPPORT IN YOUR INBOX

Let’s stay
connected.

Sign up for free bad breath tips by email.

ADVERTISING OPPORTUNITIES

Your banner. Right here.

Introduce your brand to the Bad Breath Halitosis community.

Advertise here ↗