THE BAD BREATH COMMUNITY
A little more connection.
A little more connection.
A little less alone.
Real experiences. Open conversations. A place to feel understood.
THE BAD BREATH EBOOK Discover the ebook ↗
POWERED BY PEOPLE LIKE YOU
Donate to the forum ♡
Keep the conversation going.
Your donation helps cover hosting and keep this community available.
Finally cured
@halitosisux and BBman - I dont know the name of the test my doctor did. He is an Ear Nose and Throat doctor and he used a little brush to get some samples of the cells on my tongue and sent it to a lab. They called me and told me it was a fungus, but I am going to ask them to send me the results so I can see the name of the test.
I have been working on beating this thing you guys. It is SO hard and somedays I feel like I am going to pass out if someone says anything about me having BB. I just feel like I've been pushed to the limit with this thing and I can't take it anymore.
I prayed one nite when I almost passed out at work from the anxiety, and God led me to this site. That's when I read about using probiotics on my tongue. (Thank you to whoever posted about putting the probiotic directly on the tongue.) I just want a permanent cure now.
I have been working on beating this thing you guys. It is SO hard and somedays I feel like I am going to pass out if someone says anything about me having BB. I just feel like I've been pushed to the limit with this thing and I can't take it anymore.
I prayed one nite when I almost passed out at work from the anxiety, and God led me to this site. That's when I read about using probiotics on my tongue. (Thank you to whoever posted about putting the probiotic directly on the tongue.) I just want a permanent cure now.
Hi Mike,
I had to reply to you because your diet is very conducive to "feeding" the candida. The fungus/yeast candida thrives on anything with yeast (like bread) as well as sugar, wheat and FLOUR. So cereal would definately "feed" the candida. Same with candy, etc.
Processed food is bad for candida sufferers as well. I'm not familiar with the ingredients in protein shakes but there may have been something in them feeding the candida.
[quote="mike987"]@BBman... that sounds a LOT like me.
I noticed my BB at age 21 or 22... But I started working out and drinking protein shakes right as I was getting out of highschool at 18 years old......
But millions of people use those kinds of products.. I don't think it has anything to do with it... And how could it permanently change our bodies like that? Unless what you're saying about Candida is real and for some reason our activities in the gym and the things we ate welcomed it in somehow.
Is Candida really a considerable culprit? How do you know it's not a BS thing made up by Paranoid Hippies, or at least it's what they point their fingers at before throwing a million silly solutions at you? What kind of specialist did you go to that tested for Candida?
I wouldn't blame fast food, candy or anything like that... When I started working out I wasn't eating fattening foods, but going for the highest protein count I could.. So foods like tuna and other fish, eggs, cheese, yogurts, etc.... But I also ate a ton of cereal.
Guh. I hate this >.<[/quoteI
I had to reply to you because your diet is very conducive to "feeding" the candida. The fungus/yeast candida thrives on anything with yeast (like bread) as well as sugar, wheat and FLOUR. So cereal would definately "feed" the candida. Same with candy, etc.
Processed food is bad for candida sufferers as well. I'm not familiar with the ingredients in protein shakes but there may have been something in them feeding the candida.
[quote="mike987"]@BBman... that sounds a LOT like me.
I noticed my BB at age 21 or 22... But I started working out and drinking protein shakes right as I was getting out of highschool at 18 years old......
But millions of people use those kinds of products.. I don't think it has anything to do with it... And how could it permanently change our bodies like that? Unless what you're saying about Candida is real and for some reason our activities in the gym and the things we ate welcomed it in somehow.
Is Candida really a considerable culprit? How do you know it's not a BS thing made up by Paranoid Hippies, or at least it's what they point their fingers at before throwing a million silly solutions at you? What kind of specialist did you go to that tested for Candida?
I wouldn't blame fast food, candy or anything like that... When I started working out I wasn't eating fattening foods, but going for the highest protein count I could.. So foods like tuna and other fish, eggs, cheese, yogurts, etc.... But I also ate a ton of cereal.
Guh. I hate this >.<[/quoteI
I will try the Probiotics on my tongue although I cant see how this is going to improve my BB even if I have candida yeast? but im thankful for every tip dont get me wrong.
@Mike, I havent got any candida test yet but planning to do so. I will probably go to a troath and nose doctor as faitful1 said he did. I also want to go to a homeopath? dont know if it is named homeopath in english but they are specialist in these kind of things.
I think Candida yeast problems are more usual nowadays than before and doctors dont want to acknowledge this. My mom has also had problems with her stomach for a very long time, and got herself tested with an "iris test" dont know how believable this test is but they confirmed her of having Candida. She dont have any problems with the breath but have alot of other problems. They gave her some herb medicines she should have taken and gave her a plan on diet and so on. But she got tired of sticking to this diet so she gave up and is still fighting with her bowel problems for time to time.
Im NOT planning on giving up and none of you shoulkd either we're a team here and we gotta work effective guys. We got to systematically rule out every possible thing which may be the cause.
One thing I have also noticed is I am always more clogged in one of my nostrils! it always change and I almost never have both nostrils free for air. I can also feel pain on my forhead and cheeks when its a bit cold outside, and my nose is naturally a slightly curved. My mom bought a neti pot which I use from time to time. Never got any thick mucus running out of my nose using it but had the feeling my smell improved after use.
I have had astma when I was younger which went away when I got older, but then a couple of years ago I got this cough after a heavy cold which never really went away and I never got treated for it. I believe I also took penicilin at this time as I was very sick. then I went to the doctor about 2 years ago for my cough and he didnt do anything usefull just gave me some cough medicine which didnt help.
Just a couple of months ago I went to a lung/ astma doctor for my cough and he gave me this inhalator medicine called pulmicort turbohaler. I was suppose to take this inhaler for 3 months or something and come back if it didnt help. He said I was going to start see results in about a week or so, which I didnt I took this medicine for about a month before I got tired of it and quit taking it. Not good I know..
So I have this cough from time to time, it comes and goes. one of the symptoms is I always feel like I have to hawk up mucus which never seem to come up. Also has the feeling of small mucus ball in the back of my troath.
@Mike, I havent got any candida test yet but planning to do so. I will probably go to a troath and nose doctor as faitful1 said he did. I also want to go to a homeopath? dont know if it is named homeopath in english but they are specialist in these kind of things.
I think Candida yeast problems are more usual nowadays than before and doctors dont want to acknowledge this. My mom has also had problems with her stomach for a very long time, and got herself tested with an "iris test" dont know how believable this test is but they confirmed her of having Candida. She dont have any problems with the breath but have alot of other problems. They gave her some herb medicines she should have taken and gave her a plan on diet and so on. But she got tired of sticking to this diet so she gave up and is still fighting with her bowel problems for time to time.
Im NOT planning on giving up and none of you shoulkd either we're a team here and we gotta work effective guys. We got to systematically rule out every possible thing which may be the cause.
One thing I have also noticed is I am always more clogged in one of my nostrils! it always change and I almost never have both nostrils free for air. I can also feel pain on my forhead and cheeks when its a bit cold outside, and my nose is naturally a slightly curved. My mom bought a neti pot which I use from time to time. Never got any thick mucus running out of my nose using it but had the feeling my smell improved after use.
I have had astma when I was younger which went away when I got older, but then a couple of years ago I got this cough after a heavy cold which never really went away and I never got treated for it. I believe I also took penicilin at this time as I was very sick. then I went to the doctor about 2 years ago for my cough and he didnt do anything usefull just gave me some cough medicine which didnt help.
Just a couple of months ago I went to a lung/ astma doctor for my cough and he gave me this inhalator medicine called pulmicort turbohaler. I was suppose to take this inhaler for 3 months or something and come back if it didnt help. He said I was going to start see results in about a week or so, which I didnt I took this medicine for about a month before I got tired of it and quit taking it. Not good I know..
So I have this cough from time to time, it comes and goes. one of the symptoms is I always feel like I have to hawk up mucus which never seem to come up. Also has the feeling of small mucus ball in the back of my troath.
Last edited by BBman on Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
waitingforrelief
- Sheriff
- Posts: 424
- Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:21 am
@mike,
i do the long rinse in the morning, but for example late last night i noticed more bad breath again, so i did a shorter rinse.
i haven't been measuring out the ingredients to my rinse. i just put about 2 teaspoons of baking soda into warm water, and squirt some peroxide in there. i don't use that much. and i add 2 drops of peppermint oil.
i might experiment with using more peroxide to see if it increases its efficacy, but i'm just a little weirded out by its taste and smell right afterwards.
i usually brush my teeth afterwards to try to make it taste/smell better. and it seems like after that weird smell dissipates, then my breath smells ok. i'll try to get up the courage to ask a friend this week.
i stopped using the irrigator because i felt like it was "waking up" something under the gums and made my mouth smell bad. i will probably try again after i've gotten inot a routine of what i'm doing right now so i have a better control system to compare. i may also talk to the dental surgeon about it. it's just stupid that for just the mouth, you have the regular dentist, the peridontist, and the oral surgeon. do i need to go see a periodontist, too? sigh.
i do the long rinse in the morning, but for example late last night i noticed more bad breath again, so i did a shorter rinse.
i haven't been measuring out the ingredients to my rinse. i just put about 2 teaspoons of baking soda into warm water, and squirt some peroxide in there. i don't use that much. and i add 2 drops of peppermint oil.
i might experiment with using more peroxide to see if it increases its efficacy, but i'm just a little weirded out by its taste and smell right afterwards.
i usually brush my teeth afterwards to try to make it taste/smell better. and it seems like after that weird smell dissipates, then my breath smells ok. i'll try to get up the courage to ask a friend this week.
i stopped using the irrigator because i felt like it was "waking up" something under the gums and made my mouth smell bad. i will probably try again after i've gotten inot a routine of what i'm doing right now so i have a better control system to compare. i may also talk to the dental surgeon about it. it's just stupid that for just the mouth, you have the regular dentist, the peridontist, and the oral surgeon. do i need to go see a periodontist, too? sigh.
-
Phantasist
- Sheriff
- Posts: 477
- Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:32 pm
@Halitosisux:
What do you think of Faithful1's information that a doctor sent a tongue scraping to a lab and it turned out to be a fungus? Could a fungus be causing the white coating? (yeast infection?)
Could a fungus even live on your tongue? Wouldn't the saliva kill it?
I'm a little dubious about this because I have shown that the white coating outside of the mouth has no odor, although I think you have to scrape it off to get at the anaerobic bacteria underneath it.
I'm too lazy to do the research on fungi on the tongue (if there is such a thing), so you better do it.
What do you think of Faithful1's information that a doctor sent a tongue scraping to a lab and it turned out to be a fungus? Could a fungus be causing the white coating? (yeast infection?)
Could a fungus even live on your tongue? Wouldn't the saliva kill it?
I'm a little dubious about this because I have shown that the white coating outside of the mouth has no odor, although I think you have to scrape it off to get at the anaerobic bacteria underneath it.
I'm too lazy to do the research on fungi on the tongue (if there is such a thing), so you better do it.
The hand we are dealt is fate. How we play the cards is free will.
I have this exact same problem too! It's either one or the other, and occasionally both! What the hell is going on in there?? I was sure it was Nasal Polyps or something else up in my nose, but then I got an endoscope stuck up there by a Doctor here and he said there were no polyps and that I have all year Allergies. Honestly he stuck that scope up so fast though I wonder if he did a thorough enough check...BBman wrote:
One thing I have also noticed is I am always more clogged in one of my nostrils! it always change and I almost never have both nostrils free for air. I can also feel pain on my forhead and cheeks when its a bit cold outside, and my nose is naturally a slightly curved. My mom bought a neti pot which I use from time to time. Never got any thick mucus running out of my nose using it but had the feeling my smell improved after use.
I'd like to know what is physically happening when I can't breath out of one nostril... or when suddenly I can breathe out of both for a short moment, before the other one closes up.
Thinking about how it might be more helpful for me to get a closer look at the bacteria myself... like under a microscope. I haven't though too much about it, but what would I really need other than a microscope, petri dishes, cotton swabs, liquid dropper, and my own germs?
Anyone try anything like this before?
Candida is a fungus and yes a fungus can live on your tonguePhantasist wrote:@Halitosisux:
What do you think of Faithful1's information that a doctor sent a tongue scraping to a lab and it turned out to be a fungus? Could a fungus be causing the white coating? (yeast infection?)
Could a fungus even live on your tongue? Wouldn't the saliva kill it?
I'm a little dubious about this because I have shown that the white coating outside of the mouth has no odor, although I think you have to scrape it off to get at the anaerobic bacteria underneath it.
I'm too lazy to do the research on fungi on the tongue (if there is such a thing), so you better do it.
So I've been using baking soda gargle for at least 10min, sometimes more than 20.. Just doesn't seem to do anything for my breath. Teeth do feel a little cleaner all day, I'll say that... As far as breath goes, I wonder if it makes it worse.waitingforrelief wrote:@mike,
i do the long rinse in the morning, but for example late last night i noticed more bad breath again, so i did a shorter rinse.
i haven't been measuring out the ingredients to my rinse. i just put about 2 teaspoons of baking soda into warm water, and squirt some peroxide in there. i don't use that much. and i add 2 drops of peppermint oil.
i might experiment with using more peroxide to see if it increases its efficacy, but i'm just a little weirded out by its taste and smell right afterwards.
i usually brush my teeth afterwards to try to make it taste/smell better. and it seems like after that weird smell dissipates, then my breath smells ok. i'll try to get up the courage to ask a friend this week.
i stopped using the irrigator because i felt like it was "waking up" something under the gums and made my mouth smell bad. i will probably try again after i've gotten inot a routine of what i'm doing right now so i have a better control system to compare. i may also talk to the dental surgeon about it. it's just stupid that for just the mouth, you have the regular dentist, the peridontist, and the oral surgeon. do i need to go see a periodontist, too? sigh.
After the baking soda gargle I had been lightly rinsing with diluted hydrogen peroxide... I wonder if this might be more responsible for what seems to be worse breath than the baking soda... I've had a sore behind my back bottom right tooth for a few days now.. Also have a sore on the end of my tongue. It now feels like I've got 2 types of bad breath going on at the same time.. The strictly oral stagnant common kind of BB, in addition to the literal shit breath.
Chronic BB is a nightmare unlike any other.
-
halitosisux
- Moderator
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm
Phantasist, as far as I know, there is always fungus inside the mouth and on the tongue surface and a lot of the perfectly normal white coating that most people have is apparently where dead cells are being decomposed by fungus, a bit like on the heels of your feet.
Our bodies evolved to create habitats and ecologies to allow a microbial flora to colonize and establish from the moment we're born. The mouth, the skin, the intestines and vagina etc.
The immune system is there to protect the tissues and keeps the microbes where the body wants them to be.
There is a constant battle between the different types of microbes. If you kill off and reduce the amount of bacteria with antibiotics, for example, and throw the delicate microbial balance, you can easily end up with thrush (candida) because you end up with an overgrowth of fungus. This is usually short-lived and as soon as the antibiotics are stopped and bacteria re-populate things quickly return to normal again.
Then there is the type of thrush that is caused by a weakened or compromised immune system. The thrush invades the tissues and if you want to know what that looks like, do a google images search for oral thrush.
If a doctor ever wanted to find some fungus, all they'd need to do is take a scraping from your tongue. Same applies to any other person who wants to fob you off and dismiss you or exploit you by making you believe that you have candida behind your health problems.
I've heard that you can have candida antibody testing. Not sure what that proves though, when antibodies stay in your body for years if not a whole lifetime, and yeast infections are almost a normal part of being a woman.
@mike, I think that nasal blockage phenomenon you have described is normal. It's a natural mechanism of the nose to alternate sides a bit, not sure why tho. I think its to do with controlling the delicate airflow patterns and humidity control etc. If your nose is congested then you just notice it more than a person whose nose is generally more clear.
@faithful, I think using probiotics directly in your mouth and tongue are a very good idea for naturally reducing coating and for making your tongue less anaerobic. Acidophillus helped improve my BB and yet my BB was coming from a tooth, so go figure. Scraping your tongues and using chemicals is a vicious circle that only makes the problem (whatever the cause might be) worse.
Our bodies evolved to create habitats and ecologies to allow a microbial flora to colonize and establish from the moment we're born. The mouth, the skin, the intestines and vagina etc.
The immune system is there to protect the tissues and keeps the microbes where the body wants them to be.
There is a constant battle between the different types of microbes. If you kill off and reduce the amount of bacteria with antibiotics, for example, and throw the delicate microbial balance, you can easily end up with thrush (candida) because you end up with an overgrowth of fungus. This is usually short-lived and as soon as the antibiotics are stopped and bacteria re-populate things quickly return to normal again.
Then there is the type of thrush that is caused by a weakened or compromised immune system. The thrush invades the tissues and if you want to know what that looks like, do a google images search for oral thrush.
If a doctor ever wanted to find some fungus, all they'd need to do is take a scraping from your tongue. Same applies to any other person who wants to fob you off and dismiss you or exploit you by making you believe that you have candida behind your health problems.
I've heard that you can have candida antibody testing. Not sure what that proves though, when antibodies stay in your body for years if not a whole lifetime, and yeast infections are almost a normal part of being a woman.
@mike, I think that nasal blockage phenomenon you have described is normal. It's a natural mechanism of the nose to alternate sides a bit, not sure why tho. I think its to do with controlling the delicate airflow patterns and humidity control etc. If your nose is congested then you just notice it more than a person whose nose is generally more clear.
@faithful, I think using probiotics directly in your mouth and tongue are a very good idea for naturally reducing coating and for making your tongue less anaerobic. Acidophillus helped improve my BB and yet my BB was coming from a tooth, so go figure. Scraping your tongues and using chemicals is a vicious circle that only makes the problem (whatever the cause might be) worse.
-
Phantasist
- Sheriff
- Posts: 477
- Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:32 pm
Mike987,
When I sleep on my left side, I can only breathe out of my right nostril, and when I sleep on my right side, I can only breathe out of my left nostril. I also have a slightly deviated septum, but I don't think that has anything to do with bad breath. I have known people with a deviated septum who did not have the slightest bad breath. I wouldn't worry about that. Obviously you're congested because of your allergies.
Halitosisux,
I find it very hard to believe that everybody has a fungus on their tongue. That just doesn't ring true. And I don't believe the white coating on your tongue is dead cells like the ones on the heels of your feet. In fact, if that were true, then everyone in the world would have a white tongue coating, and that simply is not the case. There must be a reason why some of us have it and others don't. Yes, we all have a different body chemistry, but we all have the same physiology, because we are all the same species, namely human beings.
When I sleep on my left side, I can only breathe out of my right nostril, and when I sleep on my right side, I can only breathe out of my left nostril. I also have a slightly deviated septum, but I don't think that has anything to do with bad breath. I have known people with a deviated septum who did not have the slightest bad breath. I wouldn't worry about that. Obviously you're congested because of your allergies.
Halitosisux,
I find it very hard to believe that everybody has a fungus on their tongue. That just doesn't ring true. And I don't believe the white coating on your tongue is dead cells like the ones on the heels of your feet. In fact, if that were true, then everyone in the world would have a white tongue coating, and that simply is not the case. There must be a reason why some of us have it and others don't. Yes, we all have a different body chemistry, but we all have the same physiology, because we are all the same species, namely human beings.
The hand we are dealt is fate. How we play the cards is free will.
-
halitosisux
- Moderator
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm
-
Phantasist
- Sheriff
- Posts: 477
- Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:32 pm
Halitosisux,
Oral Candidiasis (or thrush) has nothing to do with what we're talking about. The white "patches" on the tongue in Oral Candidiasis are caused by a fungus, but that is not the same as the white coating that most of us bad breath sufferers have on the tongue.
What we have is a uniform coating that is usually thickest in the back of the tongue and diminishes gradually towards the front (tip of the tongue). It is also not accompanied by sore red spots on the tongue or other parts of the mouth, and it does not travel to other part of the body.
My objections to your previous post still stand.
Oral Candidiasis (or thrush) has nothing to do with what we're talking about. The white "patches" on the tongue in Oral Candidiasis are caused by a fungus, but that is not the same as the white coating that most of us bad breath sufferers have on the tongue.
What we have is a uniform coating that is usually thickest in the back of the tongue and diminishes gradually towards the front (tip of the tongue). It is also not accompanied by sore red spots on the tongue or other parts of the mouth, and it does not travel to other part of the body.
My objections to your previous post still stand.
The hand we are dealt is fate. How we play the cards is free will.
-
halitosisux
- Moderator
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm
Phantasist, I pasted that link because it was the very first result in a google search I made that stated that fungus are present in every mouth along with with other microbial forms of life.
Please find some evidence to suggest that it doesnt and we can then discuss it further, otherwise lets leave it there.
I wasnt trying to say that tongue coatings were candidiasis, I was infact trying to say the complete opposite. Tongue coatings occur even for BB free people and they probably ONLY make the problem worse for those with BB because they form a highly absorbant layer, which allows more stench to build up and leads to the tongue becoming more anaerobic than it would otherwise be, which leads to further anaerobic bacterial activity and further foul chemical buildup.
Please find some evidence to suggest that it doesnt and we can then discuss it further, otherwise lets leave it there.
I wasnt trying to say that tongue coatings were candidiasis, I was infact trying to say the complete opposite. Tongue coatings occur even for BB free people and they probably ONLY make the problem worse for those with BB because they form a highly absorbant layer, which allows more stench to build up and leads to the tongue becoming more anaerobic than it would otherwise be, which leads to further anaerobic bacterial activity and further foul chemical buildup.
-
Phantasist
- Sheriff
- Posts: 477
- Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:32 pm
Halitosisux wrote: "I wasnt trying to say that tongue coatings were candidiasis, I was infact trying to say the complete opposite. Tongue coatings occur even for BB free people and they probably ONLY make the problem worse for those with BB because they form a highly absorbant layer, which allows more stench to build up and leads to the tongue becoming more anaerobic than it would otherwise be, which leads to further anaerobic bacterial activity and further foul chemical buildup."
Okay, I agree that most tongue coatings are not Candidiasis, but then why bring it up?
The rest of your paragraph is your theory, not proven fact. But I have no objection to theories, because that is what we have to start out with. So here is my latest theory:
The white tongue coating that most of us have is caused by something that is wrong in our bodies (most likely in the sinuses or the intestines). The coating itself does not produce an odor, however it forms a protective layer for the anaerobic bacteria that live on the surface of the tongue. This means that the normal antibacterial action of the saliva does not reach the anaerobes which are therefore allowed to overgrow, producing breath odor.
Sometimes the simplest theory is the best.
Okay, I agree that most tongue coatings are not Candidiasis, but then why bring it up?
The rest of your paragraph is your theory, not proven fact. But I have no objection to theories, because that is what we have to start out with. So here is my latest theory:
The white tongue coating that most of us have is caused by something that is wrong in our bodies (most likely in the sinuses or the intestines). The coating itself does not produce an odor, however it forms a protective layer for the anaerobic bacteria that live on the surface of the tongue. This means that the normal antibacterial action of the saliva does not reach the anaerobes which are therefore allowed to overgrow, producing breath odor.
Sometimes the simplest theory is the best.
The hand we are dealt is fate. How we play the cards is free will.
Discover the Bad Breath ebook Explore the ebook ↗
ADVERTISING OPPORTUNITIES
Advertise here ↗
Your banner. Right here.
Introduce your brand to the Bad Breath Halitosis community.