Your Email Address:

First Name:

a new mouthwash study at UCL;A

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

And rather than there being missing antibacterial components in saliva, there may be missing odour neutralizing components. The body is capable of producing hydrogen peroxide for example, which is an odour neutralizer.

potty_mouth
Junior

Post by potty_mouth »

This STAMPS technology certainly sounds like a massive breakthrough. Phantasist, you are probably right that most of us have an underlying issue which promotes an environment for odiferous bacteria to grow, but for some that may have been a single event some time long in the past (my wisdom tooth surgery when i was 19 maybe?), and ever since the odiferous bacteria won the battle to colonise the mouth, no other bacteria has been able to displace it. In such cases, targetting the odiferous bacteria with something like STAMPS could work brilliantly, especially if used after a short course of antibiotics like metronidazole.
Metronidazole's effect probably doesn't last on its own because it's not selective. If you have 100 billion odiferous bacteria and 50 billion non-odeferous and you take metronidazole, you will still have a 2:1 ratio once the course is complete. After time the odiferous bacteria will re-colonise the "clean slate" left by metronidazole faster than the less numerous other bacteria so you get worse BB than before.
(that's the way i see it anyway).
But I would certainly be happy if I could take a mouthwash that gives me fresh breath for hours and had no ill effects :)
But the reason for the bacterial imbalance should also be a target for us to concentrate on.
Phantasist, I agree that there may well be some kind of immune reaction going on in the mouth. I sometimes think the dry mouth / tongue coating seems like an inflammatory response to something.
... do you live in the US? have you heard of this test and would be willing to take it?:
http://www.intestinalbarriertest.com/
I can't as I am in Australia but I'd do it if I could.
Most food allergy tests look for IgE in blood. IgE is normally associated with severe immune reactions. But this test looks for IgA and IgM in saliva, and IgA and IgG in blood, which are more subtle immune responses. It's not just foods, but looks for immune reactions to bacteria and candida too among other things. Especially interesting because it's in saliva too. I have no idea how much it costs but I hope somebody takes the test and reports back.
Sadman, very interesting the bit about Solobacterium moorei. We could really do with Aydinmur's thoughts on all this!

Sorry for the long ramble
PM
sadman
Advanced

Post by sadman »

UCLA School of Dentistry STAMPs Out Pathogens With Smart Antimicrobials
Email this article
2006-04-18

Researchers from the UCLA School of Dentistry report they are the first to synthesize chemically a new antimicrobial composition that efficiently eradicates harmful bacteria while leaving helpful bacteria undisturbed. Their research is presented in the April issue of Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy.

The human body is home to millions of different bacteria, some of which cause disease, but many of which are vital for optimal health. Meanwhile, the majority of antimicrobial compounds in clinical use are broad-spectrum antibiotics. While these antibiotics have the advantage that they can be effective against bacterial infections without precise diagnosis, a negative aspect of their use is that they also kill benign and beneficial bacteria. Overuse of broad-spectrum antibiotics can seriously disrupt the body's normal ecological balance, rendering humans more susceptible to bacterial, yeast and parasitic infections.

In addition, according to the Centers for Disease Control, half of the more than 100 million antibiotic prescriptions filled annually are unnecessary and, as a result, in many cases microbes have adapted and are resistant to antibiotics due to constant exposure and improper use of the drugs. It is estimated that the annual cost of treating drug-resistant infections in the United States is approximately $5 billion. The continued emergence of antimicrobial resistant bacteria, fungi, yeast and parasites has encouraged efforts to develop other agents capable of killing pathogenic microbes.

The new composition developed at UCLA belongs to a new class of peptides known by the acronym STAMP, or Specifically Targeted Anti-Microbial Peptide. Representing a major step forward in antimicrobial treatment, a STAMP combines a targeting peptide with an antimicrobial peptide to first recognize a target microbial organism and then unleash an antimicrobial effect on that organism.

Recently, there have been a number of reports on the use of fusion proteins for treating disease. For example, malignant disease can be treated using a genetically engineered protein construct including an immunological component that binds specifically to tumor cells
and a cytokine capable of eliciting significant anti-tumor activity. However, until now there have been few reports of directing antimicrobial agents to infected regions of humans or animals using target-specific molecules.

UCLA researchers used a peptide synthesis machine to create a 36-amino-acid peptide that exhibited strong antimicrobial activity as well as selectivity against a single-target bacterium. Focusing their attention on Pseudomonas, an opportunistic human pathogen that targets immuno-compromised individuals and can cause urinary tract infections, sepsis, pneumonia, pharyngitis and increased mortality, scientists fused a Pseudomonas-specific targeting moiety (KH) to a general killing peptide (novispirin G10). The resulting peptide, G10KHc, selectively eliminated Pseudomonas from mixed cultures and showed enhanced antibacterial activity and faster and longer-lasting killing action against Pseudomonas compared to G10 alone.

"This work lays a foundation for generating additional target-specific 'smart' antimicrobials as an alternative to currently available conventional antibiotics," said Dr. Wenyuan Shi, professor and chair of the section of oral biology at the UCLA School of Dentistry.

Where broad-spectrum killing or general mechanical removal disrupts the normal flora, possibly leading to post-treatment complications or recolonization by the pathogen, target specific peptides like the one developed at UCLA produce no collateral damage and are expected to be especially suitable for infections of the mucous membranes including the mouth, vagina, gastrointestinal tract, esophageal tract and respiratory tract.

Shi suggests that in the future, based on this research, STAMPs could be generated against any undesired bacterium or group of bacteria, a particularly appealing concept as some chronic infections are caused by multiple microorganisms rather than a single species. Further, an exceptionally resilient species could be targeted with a combination of antimicrobial peptides present on one STAMP molecule.

"The work performed in Dr. Shi's laboratory will help transform the concept of targeted antimicrobial therapy into a reality. We are proud that UCLA will become known as the birthplace of this significant treatment innovation," said Dr. No-Hee Park, dean of the UCLA School of Dentistry.

Antimicrobial treatment using STAMP technology is expected to be available for clinical use in five to seven years.

"We are excited about the commercial potential of STAMP technology and are seeking worldwide patent coverage for this groundbreaking discovery," said Emily Loughran, director of licensing for UCLA's Office of Intellectual Property Administration.

The G10KHc research project was supported by grants from the National Institutes of Health, Washington Dental Service and C3/Biostar.

Mouthwash eliminates caries-causing bacteria
By DrBicuspid Staff

November 15, 2011 -- A mouthwash developed by a microbiologist at the University of California, Los Angeles School of Dentistry has been shown to be highly successful in targeting the Streptococcus mutans bacteria, the principal cause of tooth decay and caries.
Special Offer on PerioMed™ 0.63% Stannous Fluoride from 3M ESPE
PerioMed™ is an antimicrobial oral rinse for long-term gingival maintenance therapy that's proven to help control plaque bacteria and tooth sensitivity. Provides antimicrobial activity for up to 8 hours. Act now to buy 3 get 1 FREE!

In a clinical study, 12 subjects who rinsed just one time with the experimental mouthwash experienced a nearly complete elimination of the S. mutans bacteria over the entire four-day testing period (Caries Research, November 2011, Vol. 45:5, pp. 415-428).

This new mouthwash is the product of nearly a decade of research conducted by Wenyuan Shi, PhD, chair of the oral biology section at the UCLA School of Dentistry. Shi developed a new antimicrobial technology called STAMP (specifically targeted antimicrobial peptides) with support from Colgate-Palmolive and C3-Jian, a company he founded around patent rights he developed at UCLA (the patents were exclusively licensed by UCLA to C3-Jian). The mouthwash uses a STAMP known as C16G2.

The STAMP C16G2 investigational drug, tested in the clinical study, acts as a sort of "smart bomb," eliminating only the harmful bacteria and remaining effective for an extended period, the university noted in a press release.

Based on the success of this limited clinical trial, C3-Jian has filed a New Investigational Drug application with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). More extensive clinical trials are expected to begin in March 2012.

If the FDA ultimately approves STAMP C16G2 for general use, it will be the first such anticaries drug since fluoride was licensed nearly 60 years ago, according to the university.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

viewtopic.php?p=1672&sid=76b4f4c90fc57d ... ff411e905b

Has anyone else tried to contact him yet?
Just found out that Dr. Katz is UCLA too, so I hope he's not blocking anything or trying to get involved to safeguard his breath business interests.

http://jada.ada.org/content/138/1/33.2.full
This mentions that it can be targeted towards halitosis treatment
Phantasist
Sheriff

Post by Phantasist »

Potty_mouth,

I have read up on the "intestinal barrier test" which you mentioned. It is highly technical and I'm still trying to understand it.

It seems to be concerned with the permeability of the mucosal lining of the intestines (leaky gut syndrome). If I understand it correctly, if certain substances make it through the intestinal wall into the blood stream, this will show up as an increased level of salivary IgA (Immunoglobulin A). It's interesting because it shows a connection between the gut and saliva. But there is a lot more to it, such as auto-immune disease and various other conditions.

The curious thing is that increased IgA is an immune response to bacteria, so if there is more IgA in saliva, shouldn't that be helpful in killing the anaerobic bacteria in the mouth? It's confusing. But there may well be a connection between bad breath and a malfunctioning intestinal tract. It is one of the things which I have suspected.
The hand we are dealt is fate. How we play the cards is free will.
Phantasist
Sheriff

Post by Phantasist »

Some (incomplete) information on Secretory IgA:

Mucosal surfaces are the first lines of defense against invasion and colonization by pathogenic microorganisms. The principal molecule of mucosal immune responses is Secretory IgA (SIgA), which is produced by activated B-cells. Upon activation, B-cells in the mucosa form immune complexes with the pathogens and antigens encountered, thereby preventing antigen attachment to the intestinal wall, which may result in antigen penetration of the intestinal lining. IgA is the only immunoglobulin isotype that can be selectively passed across mucosal walls to reach the lumens of organs lined with mucosal cells.
An imbalance of protective SIgA can result in a compromised mucosal immunity and eventual gastrointestinal, immunological and neurological disorders.
A deficiency of SIgA may be an indication of chronic stress, adrenal insufficiencies, bacterial colonization on molar surfaces, recurrent tonsillitis, adenoid hyperplasia, cutaneous candidiasis, intestinal barrier dysfunction, nutritional deficiencies, recurrent herpes infection, celiac, crohn’s or ulcerative colitis. Patients presenting with low levels of SIgA are at greater risk of gastrointestinal infections, dysbiosis and autoimmune disorders. Such a patient may have increased IgG responses to multiple foods, or may be asymptomatic.
Increased levels of SIgA may be an indication of acute stress, orophanrygeal carcinoma, chronic oral infection, chronic GI infection, heavy smoking, alcoholism, periodontitis, dental plaque accumulation, or intestinal barrier dysfunction.
Complimentary support for mucosal immunity may include, but is not limited to:
Aloe Vera, Digestive enzymes, Fiber, Glutamine powder, Lactoferrin, Marshmallow root, Omega-3 fish oil, Probiotics, Slippery elm, Stress reduction, Vitamin A (retinoic acid), Vitamin C, Zinc.
Additional support may include dietary modification. Consider removing:
Advanced glycation endproducts (AGEs), Gluten, High fat foods, Refined carbohydrates, Sugars.
The hand we are dealt is fate. How we play the cards is free will.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic