Your Email Address:

First Name:

Diet and DIM supplements

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Tibya
Advanced

Post by Tibya »

@seanlee1980 - Any updates? You started DIM supplements in Feb and its almost mid March. Update please. I have a feeling this will work.
As for me, zantec and hydrogen per oxide did some improvement, but then I had to stop everything (including) zantec, so back to bb:( Its close to 2 weeks and sadgirlbb was right, it does take time to come back to oral hygine after tooth extraction. I should now be able to do my routine cleaning. Just wondering if I should start with zantec again or go for DIM supplements. After all, zantec cannot be taken forever, but DIM supplements can.
@ sadgirlbb - you also started taking this supplements. Did you continue for few weeks?

seanlee1980
Advanced

Post by seanlee1980 »

I'm still using it and I am positive it is helping me. Like I said I usually have the bad taste 24/7, but the bad taste is gone with DIM. It's not some placebo effect. I know a difference. I've had bad breath since junior high so I am not ignorant about this disorder.

I am still taking Nature's Way DIM supplements. These are intended for women and has less dosage of DIM than other brands. Men are supposed to take more and there are other brands that are stronger and is intended more for men. I just continue to use these supplements because they are working for me.

Now, if I eat junk food and eat like a pig my breath gets bad. A combination of a healthy diet and DIM is what works for me. I'm sure most of you are saying it's not a cure, but this is a manageable for me. I'm not starving myself by no means. I eat good, but I eat healthy. If I eat healthy without DIM supplements my breath still stinks. In general, I stay away from lactose food, flour, sugar-rich food and red meat.

There are so many causes of bad breath, I'm sure DIM will NOT help most of you. It is personally helping me for whatever reason. I got to this point mostly by trial and error. What is frustrating is that many of us may have multiple cause of bad breath. I'm not sure if hormonal imbalance is the only factor that is causing my bad breath. I still think I have gastrointestinal issues or food intolerance. Point is this shit is not a simple solution, as all of you are aware. So don't hope that popping a pill is going to cure you. It's going to take some persistence and effort.
HopefulOne
Advanced

Post by HopefulOne »

I am still taking the DIM also (natures way) and it is helping. I have no tongue coat and my breath is manageable. Also, my skin is so clear and I am losing weight without trying. My mood is also good. I am no longer using my estrogen patch. I think I will take DIM for the rest of my life.

Sean is right, some of us may have multiple causes and we have to learn to manage this disability.
Tibya
Advanced

Post by Tibya »

@sean @hopefulone - Thnx for your answers. I am now inclined towards DIM.
I also searched online and it shows that DIM is more for anticancer and may cause hair loss . It is a blood thinner and has antipalate properties - which means when there is wound it may not help in blood clot. I had gestational diabetes, so anything that can lead to wound-not-healing scars me - just to be cautious because i'm still prone to diabetes at a later stage of my life . As per my doctor, with diet, exercise, i can only prolong my diabetes not prevent it from occurring. So while I am still debating whether to go and start zantec again (as I had to stop it during my tooth extraction) or should I give DIM a try?
I initially thought DIM can be taken for long since it is all "natural" product. I am guessing a few months of intake should not really cause that much damage. Any advice, help tips from anyone here? or maybe I should add this on my list to take to the physician. She has not been very helpful with halitosis stuff in past.
Archimonde
Super Angel

Post by Archimonde »

Tybia, don't bother with Zantec, or rather try DIM first then Zantec later. Anti-reflux meds are nothing new to this forum and the results have not been good in general, while DIM is a new approach here and so far, the results have been positive.

As for my personal experience, I went thru 2 packs of Zantac with no results. I'm still taking DIM, i can't say yet if it's helping or not.

Why aren't more people trying these products? It's not like they're expensive or dangerous. A big fu*k you to people who never try anything new and just complain that BB is ruining their life, yeah you.
sadgirlbb
Advanced

Post by sadgirlbb »

Archimonde wrote:Why aren't more people trying these products? It's not like they're expensive or dangerous. A big fu*k you to people who never try anything new and just complain that BB is ruining their life, yeah you.
Arch... you crack me up... :D You have such a to hell with it attitude about everything... love it. lol

Anyway, I have been using DIM for a couple of weeks. It hasn't helped. And I thought that was the most promising of anything because my bb originally started when I was 11. So thought it was hormone related. Its gotten worse and worse over the years though.

I have tried the carafate and now tea tree oil and I will post those experiences as well.

All in all things have improved, but I have not had the "miraculous" response that some of you have had... VERY discouraging.... My bad breath is probably from a multitude of things and it gets so confusing!

But I'll keep trying. Eventually we've GOT to get to the bottom of this! At least I don't have that metallic/shit taste in the back of my mouth/tongue anymore....
Tibya
Advanced

Post by Tibya »

sadgirlbb, how long you have been on DIM?
Just a request to all who try new stuff, please do not give up in few weeks. I would say give it atleast 2-3 months time for it to take real good affect.
Archimonde
Super Angel

Post by Archimonde »

One thing for sure is that these DIM supplements are not your typical 'natural' products that have no effect on anything, they are really powerful..

1- I've been experiencing hot flashes!? in the last couple of days.

Hot flashes are a symptom of the changing hormone levels that are considered to be characteristic of menopause

Is this good? Is this bad?

2- I've been sleeping like a baby for the 1st time in many years ever since i've been taking DIM so I'm gonna keep taking it whether it has any effect on bb or not.

3- Don't laugh at me: I'm more emotional when I'm on DIM. A lot more.

All in all, DIM supps absolutely do change your hormone levels. I'm gonna go watch Oprah now.
Tibya
Advanced

Post by Tibya »

@ Archimonde : Please update as your progress with DIM supplements. I am ofcourse more interested in bb. If it has reduced bb for you to a level where you can talk to people face to face comofrtably, then this is something I would consider a big success.
sadgirlbb
Advanced

Post by sadgirlbb »

Tibya wrote:sadgirlbb, how long you have been on DIM?
Just a request to all who try new stuff, please do not give up in few weeks. I would say give it atleast 2-3 months time for it to take real good affect.
Hi Tibya, I think I've been on about 3 weeks now. Like Arch... I've been having hot flashes! I don't know why. Also, weight is dropping off. Unbelievably fast for me. But the breath, well its better but I don't think because of DIM. The tea tree oil has been the best for me.

But I'm not giving up on DIM. I like the other effects it is having (weight loss) and I'm hoping the hot flashes are temporary. I will keep taking this and see how it goes.

And Arch do you need a tissue?? :)
sadgirlbb
Advanced

Post by sadgirlbb »

HopefulOne wrote:I am still taking the DIM also (natures way) and it is helping. I have no tongue coat and my breath is manageable. Also, my skin is so clear and I am losing weight without trying. My mood is also good. I am no longer using my estrogen patch. I think I will take DIM for the rest of my life.

Sean is right, some of us may have multiple causes and we have to learn to manage this disability.
Hopeful... what dose are you taking? Are you taking the recommended 2 a day. Or more?
Tibya
Advanced

Post by Tibya »

sadgirlbb wrote: Hi Tibya, I think I've been on about 3 weeks now. Like Arch... I've been having hot flashes! I don't know why.

But I'm not giving up on DIM. I like the other effects it is having (weight loss) and I'm hoping the hot flashes are temporary. I will keep taking this and see how it goes.
Do you get hot flashes everynight ?
sadgirlbb
Advanced

Post by sadgirlbb »

No haven't had any in a couple of days now. I have to say I LOVE DIM and will be taking it the rest of my life. I think my body was really out of whack. Didn't do much for my breath at the time, but I think most of my problem was candida related.
HopefulOne
Advanced

Post by HopefulOne »

I take two DIM supplements with my first meal of the day. I have lost 10 lbs since I started with NO exercise. I LOVE DIM!! I also started using grapefruit seed extract (GSE) and it makes my breath fresh. I believe my BB is part hormones and part bacteria in my mouth. My hormones are good so I'm trying to attack the bacteria. I floss at night with dental floss soaked in tea tree oil, then I brush with salt, baking soda and a few drops of GSE. I wake with no morning breath. In the morning I brush with toothpaste and three drops of GSE and scrub my tongue. During the day I rinse with GSE and water. I also try to drink lots of water with lemon. My next step is to drink the GSE (natural antibiotic) and eat a yogurt every day.

My breath was so fresh when I left the hospital because of my low hormone level, antibiotics, and IV fluids. I'm trying to re-create the same environment in my body at home.

I believe my saliva is missing some type of enzyme to neutralize the bacteria, because no matter how much I brush or floss, I still have nasty gunk on my dental floss. The GSE has reduced the smelly gunk. I have to work harder to keep the bacteria at bay. I also noticed when I use the Oral Balance dry mouth moisturizing gel, my mouth is fresh for awhile. The gel is made with the same enzymes as saliva....so I believe mine is missing the enzyme.

Last night I went out and had margaritas with friends. I chewed no gum and had no reactions. YEAH!
sadgirlbb
Advanced

Post by sadgirlbb »

That's awesome Hopeful.... the real test is drinking alcohol and have everything be ok! Yay for you!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic