THE BAD BREATH COMMUNITY
A little more connection.
A little more connection.
A little less alone.
Real experiences. Open conversations. A place to feel understood.
THE BAD BREATH EBOOK Discover the ebook ↗
POWERED BY PEOPLE LIKE YOU
Donate to the forum ♡
Keep the conversation going.
Your donation helps cover hosting and keep this community available.
Possible causes for my bb?
-
daveparker
- Advanced
- Posts: 108
- Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 7:10 am
Possible causes for my bb?
Haven't been on here for a while, but need some advice...my symptoms sttarted when I was 16, 8 years ago, I had bad oral hygiene back than, bad taste in my mouth appeared, soon after I got that I improved my hygiene so it went away, but a few months later it came back with a vengeance. I remember around that time I had sticky white stuff appear in my mouth occasionally, I always thought it was dental issues, went from dentist to dentist telling them about the bad taste, thinking I had gum disease, thought the white stuff was pus from my gums, all of them said I was fine dental wise. Even so I was determined that it was dental and had my wisdoms removed due to a few posts on here...yeah it didn't work...I became socially isolating myself and never talked because of it. Than I went to my doc, he thought it was acid reflux so I was prescribed prilosec, along with stuff for anxiety and depression..naturally, used it for a few months and had no improvement, than was prescribed a few antibiotics over a few years for the same thing, augmentin, keflex, and ciprofloxacin, none of them worked...some helped marginally. Recently I started taking zyrtec than allegra OTC thinking I had allergies, they didn't help.
Symptoms include thick clear or white mucus in my throat that I always have to swallow or spit, i can almost chew on it, tongue gets whiter as day goes on, bad taste in my mouth which feels like its originating from my throat, haven't found tonsils stones, awful breath. sore throat from clearing it most likely. Nose feels congested but can breathe through it decently.
I floss, scrape my tongue, brush thoroughly, use a waterpik on teeth and sometimes on my tonsils, gargle salt water, use diluted peroxide as a mouth wash, and use neilmed sinus rinse, all this is daily. Helps for a half hour than taste comes back. I chew gum constantly, after a few hours of that, gum doesn't help much. All this is daily. I also drink plenty of water.
Any possible causes or suggestions? I have to shop around for ent and allergist prices, but have no insurance, have 1500 saved, willing to spend that on tests, this problem has gotten out of hand, profession I'm studying for I won't be able to chew any gum, and that's the only thing that makes me even a little comfortable talking to people.
Symptoms include thick clear or white mucus in my throat that I always have to swallow or spit, i can almost chew on it, tongue gets whiter as day goes on, bad taste in my mouth which feels like its originating from my throat, haven't found tonsils stones, awful breath. sore throat from clearing it most likely. Nose feels congested but can breathe through it decently.
I floss, scrape my tongue, brush thoroughly, use a waterpik on teeth and sometimes on my tonsils, gargle salt water, use diluted peroxide as a mouth wash, and use neilmed sinus rinse, all this is daily. Helps for a half hour than taste comes back. I chew gum constantly, after a few hours of that, gum doesn't help much. All this is daily. I also drink plenty of water.
Any possible causes or suggestions? I have to shop around for ent and allergist prices, but have no insurance, have 1500 saved, willing to spend that on tests, this problem has gotten out of hand, profession I'm studying for I won't be able to chew any gum, and that's the only thing that makes me even a little comfortable talking to people.
Did you try elimination diet? Foods that contain deliberately added fats/oils cause horrible post nasal drip that smells accordingly and make my teeth very sensitive to pain and stinky, additionally to the reek emanating from my bowels because of, possibly, undigested fats.
Underside of this diet is being on the slender side, occasional craving and some social difficulties, but anything is better than bb.
Underside of this diet is being on the slender side, occasional craving and some social difficulties, but anything is better than bb.
-
halitosisux
- Moderator
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm
My PND smells like stale mucus or strong morning breath. Eliminating fats/oils other than those that occur naturally in the foods* reduces my PND to the point where I have to remove the heavy mucus build-up mostly right after I get up in the morning and very small amounts only couple times during the day. Nice thing about is that after I spit out the mucus I dont get the feeling like there's more where it came from. I like the sense of actual relief like all the mucus is out with one blow/spit.halitosisux wrote:
What does your PND smell like?
Does the smell go away when you eliminate these foods containing these deliberately added fat/oils? If so, what happens to your BB?
PND makes my mouth very acidic tasting. But, lately, I realized I had a hole in one of my teeth that taste real bad and possibly smells just as bad. I noticed it after the PND induced taste of horror was gone from my mouth so I could sense other problems there too.
* I am a vegan, by the way, so I consume no animal fats even if they occur naturally.
-
halitosisux
- Moderator
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm
It's really good that you've found this reason for your PND and that you're able to manage it in this way.
I have PND too, although it never smells of anything. It has slightly unpleasant salty taste to it though.
I also noticed a tooth problem after I'd eliminated something else - my stinking tonsils.
Lots of people with bad breath seem to have PND with it. Yet, lots of people have PND but no bad breath. The difference may be that in certain people there is a chronic infection as the underlying cause of the PND, as opposed to congestion or rhinitis or structural abnormalities.
The mucus might also smell from a bloodborne pathway involving the gut or certain chemicals which have built up in the bloodstream. Saliva can also smell in the same way.
It would be really interesting to read more of your history.
I have PND too, although it never smells of anything. It has slightly unpleasant salty taste to it though.
I also noticed a tooth problem after I'd eliminated something else - my stinking tonsils.
Lots of people with bad breath seem to have PND with it. Yet, lots of people have PND but no bad breath. The difference may be that in certain people there is a chronic infection as the underlying cause of the PND, as opposed to congestion or rhinitis or structural abnormalities.
The mucus might also smell from a bloodborne pathway involving the gut or certain chemicals which have built up in the bloodstream. Saliva can also smell in the same way.
It would be really interesting to read more of your history.
- Archimonde
- Super Angel
- Posts: 878
- Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:14 pm
I used to know this guy who would constantly clear his throat and blow his nose. People would actually ask him what the heck was wrong with him- you can imagine the frequency with which he'd do it. But he never had a bb.halitosisux wrote:It's really good that you've found this reason for your PND and that you're able to manage it in this way.
I have PND too, although it never smells of anything. It has slightly unpleasant salty taste to it though.
I also noticed a tooth problem after I'd eliminated something else - my stinking tonsils.
Lots of people with bad breath seem to have PND with it. Yet, lots of people have PND but no bad breath. The difference may be that in certain people there is a chronic infection as the underlying cause of the PND, as opposed to congestion or rhinitis or structural abnormalities.
The mucus might also smell from a bloodborne pathway involving the gut or certain chemicals which have built up in the bloodstream. Saliva can also smell in the same way.
It would be really interesting to read more of your history.
Generally, I got no idea how this bb thing works. When I'm off the diet my dad tells me I have bb, but my brothers who I ask tell me I don't. I breathe into their faces and they say I don't.
Also, it's weird, but I have to say it. Back when was in the States, many people would usually cover their noses if I talked. I'd pester my friends and other close people about my breath and they'd just brush me off angrily, saying I didn't have any bad breath and "please, stop asking this stupid question!". Now that I live in a Post Soviet country people actually don't do it. They don't cover their faces, but my parents, on the other hand, do. Odd.
I am hoping to get an X-ray image of my mouth, identify trouble spots and patch up the problem teeth.Archimonde wrote:What do you plan on doing about that tooth? Was it flossing that made you realize you had a smelly tooth? Details please!math wrote:
lately, I realized I had a hole in one of my teeth that taste real bad and possibly smells just as bad.
Usually, the flossing string smells if I floss after a long time of no flossing. But now the smell is almost constant even if I floss everyday. The way I learned about my decaying tooth is when I was sucking on it, I tasted putrid, decaying blood in my saliva.
-
halitosisux
- Moderator
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm
You should try a Waterpik type oral irrigator. If you have certain teeth which always seem to make your dental floss stink, then a Waterpik is a good way to find out whether it's due to normal putrifying trapped debris or whether it's something that requires further investigation. Before I started using one quite recently, some of my teeth always made my floss stink, but not anymore!
I've recently started using mine on my tongue too just to see what happens. Adding a capful of 3% diluted hydrogen peroxide. Using the standard spray tip on the lowest setting, without any scraping or brushing. I use it once in the morning and even when I wake up the next morning there's not even a trace of odour on the back of my tongue since I started doing this.
Just hold the tongue out as far as possible and lean forward to prevent it running into the throat and causing gagging and choking.
It would be interesting if anyone with type-1 BB tried this, first with a capful of hydrogen peroxide in a tankful of water. If that doesn't help much, to try using a capful of chlorhexidine mouthwash in the tank, upping the concentration to see if it can work.
A jet of liquid will reach areas like nothing else. What better way to clean the tongue, getting deep into the papillae without damaging them.
I've recently started using mine on my tongue too just to see what happens. Adding a capful of 3% diluted hydrogen peroxide. Using the standard spray tip on the lowest setting, without any scraping or brushing. I use it once in the morning and even when I wake up the next morning there's not even a trace of odour on the back of my tongue since I started doing this.
Just hold the tongue out as far as possible and lean forward to prevent it running into the throat and causing gagging and choking.
It would be interesting if anyone with type-1 BB tried this, first with a capful of hydrogen peroxide in a tankful of water. If that doesn't help much, to try using a capful of chlorhexidine mouthwash in the tank, upping the concentration to see if it can work.
A jet of liquid will reach areas like nothing else. What better way to clean the tongue, getting deep into the papillae without damaging them.
- Archimonde
- Super Angel
- Posts: 878
- Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:14 pm
You priority should be that tooth, which tooth is it? Did you think about having it pulled out?math wrote:
Usually, the flossing string smells if I floss after a long time of no flossing. But now the smell is almost constant even if I floss everyday. The way I learned about my decaying tooth is when I was sucking on it, I tasted putrid, decaying blood in my saliva.
Keep in mind that just because you can't smell anything after flossing doesn't mean there isn't a smell. Your nose might not just be able to detect the odor.
Discover the Bad Breath ebook Explore the ebook ↗
ADVERTISING OPPORTUNITIES
Advertise here ↗
Your banner. Right here.
Introduce your brand to the Bad Breath Halitosis community.