Your Email Address:

First Name:

Tongue coating is not bacteria, it's Keratin, who knew?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
billie
Sheriff

Post by billie »

You guys are not going to believe this, but i used hair removel cream on my tongue. This is the best thing i have used ever!!!!
The reason I did it, is because It removes hair like it's nothing.
Hair is made out of keratin and so does filiform papillae. So me being sick and tired of this problem, I decided to put some hair removel cream on my tongue for 10 min. I was really happy with the results. I just woke up and my mouth feels good and my tongue looks good. I think if i keep doing this, maybe the bacterial overgrowth will go away. Doesn't bacteria love protein?????
I mentioned before that i have lots of dandruff and calluses on my feet keep coming back in just a couple days.
I'm gonna order vitamin A (beta-carotene) to see if that maybe works.
You never know!! Maybe it's really a keratin problem for me.

billie
Sheriff

Post by billie »

I forgot to say that I had 3 very tiny spots bleeding after I scraped everything off. The bleeding stopped after a minute or something- no big deal.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

I tried that stuff on my face once to see if it could soften my bristles before shaving and I ended up with a very painful red rash. My feeling is that if some accidentally got into your throat or you sneezed/choked some into your nose you'll very much regret it.

Anything you can find which can safely and effectively reduce tongue coating is always a good thing though. Coatings are probably the combination of a number of things, including the buildup of dead cells/keratin, bacterial biofilm formation and fungi. (the calcified remains of which are also what tonsil stones are made of, apparently). Something this strong would probably be quite effective on all of these factors.

I was thinking about this yesterday actually, at how some people can have coatings but yet can get away with having no BB, even though they have mostly the same bacteria and ecology etc. Seems odd if coatings, per se, are a cause of bad breath. I guess it depends on what the extra coating actually is, for whether it will smell or not.

To me, tooth plaque looks very similar to tongue coating. There is a general consensus (from the only 2 people who could be bothered to try it and mention it) that scraped-off tongue coating doesn't smell of much at all, even if the tongue itself stinks. Tooth plaque doesn't smell either, unless it's been there for a few days and has "matured" bacterially. Does that mean they're the same thing?

On the tongue it might be a different story, and that tongue "plaque" matures and smells much more rapidly, possibly because the tongue is inherently harder to clean than the teeth are and is more prone if a person has excessive/thickened PND or mouth dryness or localized infection etc.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Dr Aydinmur uses Boric acid (I think) in the mouthwash he formulated.
Maybe that might help reduce your coating and BB too.
Stankie

Post by Stankie »

Last edited by Stankie on Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Stankie wrote:The coating on the tongue is a complex mixture of many things. Claiming it is simply one thing is a fairly bold claim.
It might be that one of these things (like the keratin) is growing excessively, which then leads to increased anaerobic area on the tongue.
Stankie wrote:Do people not brush their lounge? I scrub the shit out of mine with my brush.
I use a vacuum cleaner lol
Jimi Stein
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by Jimi Stein »

This is interesting, that bacteria in the tongue seems so bogus to me, everytime I scrape my tongue, the bb is not improved.

But once I scrape the tongue with my nail and put it on my girlfriend for fun, she ran to shower to clean it off. So it must smell. Or it was just disgusting?

Yes I have never heard that just scraping will get rid of bb.
This is me, Jimi Stein, I created this site in December 2005. Welcome.
Stankie

Post by Stankie »

Last edited by Stankie on Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billie
Sheriff

Post by billie »

I just woke up and looked in the mirror and my tongue is still pink and very moist.
I have not eaten yet, but saliva is flowing through my mouth!!!
The hairyness has not come back yet like it did when I used salicylic acid.
I must say that hair removel cream is some pretty powerfull stuff :P.
I really hope that this is the start of the end of Bad Breath for me.
Maybe this BB problem really is because of too much keratin.
I really think it's possible that the keratin is the reason for bacterial overgrowth.
I got oral probiotics and I bought l' salivarius probiotics.
I'm gonna take large doses of beta carotene (non toxic they say). It worked for a couple of people with keratosis pilaris so maybe it works for me. I'm gonna take it with omega 3&6 fish oil capsules.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Yep hock a loogie or 2 and spit them into a sterile dish, then swish some saliva around and spit a few of those in too. Forgot to mention, don't do this within a few hours of brushing your teeth, because some toothpastes have antibacterials in that can stick around for hours and have an effect on this experiment - amusing I know, but it's true, especially toothpastes like colgate total. Best thing is just brush your teeth with water on the day you try this out.

No need to collect any tooth or tongue plaque because everything you need will already be in that mix. If it doesn't work, then it's probably cos the temperature is wrong.

I remember reading once (or maybe I just dreamt it) that tongue cell re-generation, i.e. the continuous sloughing of dead cells, is all regulated by hormones and body chemistry, and that one of the reasons why women tend to have worse breath during menstruation is because the cell-sloughing process that goes on in the uterus also happens to occur at the same time around the entire body, sightly more than it usually would, including on the tongue and cheek linings etc, which could potentially lead to increases in bacterial activity in the mouth and cause/worsen BB for some.

For some men, this sloughing process might just be higher at all times because that's how their genetics have made them. But maybe there's ways to lessen this at the systemic level? I just read that lactic acid can dissolve keratin.
Stankie

Post by Stankie »

Last edited by Stankie on Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

When I saw about the lactic acid thing, I immediately thought about the lactic acid producing bacterial fermentation thing you do Stankie (sorry I can't remember the exact term you use).

Tongue coatings do seem to have a mind of their own, no matter what we do or don't do. Antibiotics often result in disruption to the natural tongue coating. Sometimes they clear the coating and sometimes they increase it. But is that because they're killing something in the mouth or is it because they're disrupting the gut flora and then disrupting the whole body chemistry?

I listened to that TMAU webinar deebo posted, and in it they said metronidazole wipes out something like 90% of all gut bacteria - WTF - if the body relies on the gut flora for producing hormones and vitamins etc, then that's gonna have a major impact on the body surely?

We all have plaque that forms on our teeth, and no doubt some of this biofilm is also what we all have on our tongue too. Yet for most people this does not result in bad breath (except during stagnation or sleep etc). That's proof we ALL have bacteria in our mouth capable of giving us BB. So something else must be occurring that allows the tongue to become this BOG for bacteria to make some people's mouth smell of their shit.

So it can't just be about types of bacteria. We know for a fact in BB research that some people have type-1 BB for no apparent obvious reasons like gum disease or sinusitis or mouth dryness etc. Dr. Aydinmur says it's all about the ecology - which no doubt ecology IS important, but so can the HABITAT that which bacteria live in, i.e. a tongue that provides more anaerobic area by producing more cells than it should do.

Of course, it may all be immunologically related, but surely some research would have identified this direct connection?
Stankie

Post by Stankie »

Last edited by Stankie on Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Stankie

Post by Stankie »

Last edited by Stankie on Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Some amazing facts in that Wired article. Will read it again later, but for now I've run out of time.

Yes, I agree it may be that within that 25% of unique bacteria profile each of us has, lies the devil that leads to BB for some.. but I just doubt it very much because most people develop BB way after their body microbiota has fully matured. There must a another factor that allows whatever microbes we already have to start causing an odour problem.

I can understand that the microorganisms in our body will have matured from when we're born to the present day, and that once we get nuked by antibiotics it's impossible to ever go back because the only way to go back would be to go back to being a baby again and going through the whole process of colonization all over again. That's the only theory I can think of.

And why would only certain bacteria in that unique 25% even lead to BB when any bacteria or bacterial combination can lead to odour under the right cirumstances?

Anyway, lets see what you think about it if you manage to do that experiment.

And, that familial theory has a contradiction.. a familial person would only be unable to smell an odour if they produced it themselves - so unless you have reason to believe a familial person is producing odour too then it doesn't make sense. I've had to rush that, sorry.

Acceptance is not in my vocabulary!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic