Page 2 of 3
Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:07 am
by halitosisux
coeric, once again I find myself taking the brunt after trying to help because someone is taking things personally and then trying to hit me personally.
The reason why I replied to that post is purely for the fact that I have been a smoker and managed to quit smoking both before and after curing my BB. My post wasnt to insult anyone, it was out of pure DISMAY after hearing what others go through on here to try to find out their cause and then to read about a person who cant even quit smoking just to find out whether it helps to me is UTTERLY pathetic and the fact you cant see this makes you even worse. This isnt about smokers and smoking in general, it's about the WEAKNESS portrayed in that post.
I too smoked because it was one of the very few pleasures I had in life, if not the ONLY pleasure. Smoking sometimes helped me in emergencies when I quickly needed to mask my breath, in social situations etc. Smelling like an ashtray was more preferable than smelling like a pile of shit.
Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:20 pm
by misshadenough
im curious to know, does your bad breath come out through your nose also, or just your mouth when you exhale
hi sorry for late reply , i just checked this post again today ! it comes from my nose also ! i dont know what this means ? do you have this ? but whether i smoke or not the bb is still there ! smokers breath and halitosis are compleatly different ! almost everyone i know smokes and none of them have bb even when speaking up close
Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:18 pm
by sputnik
I beg to differ, I smoked for over 17 years and can honestly say that my bad breath was made a heck of a lot worse by my smoking habits.
As a matter of fact, a couple of weeks after I had quit and talking up close to a friend of mine, he asked 'did you quit smoking?'.
My breath was still bad, but not nearly as bad as when I used to smoke. I know that halitosis can be caused by a wide variety of conditions, but as far as my personal experience goes (bad breath that comes from the digestive tract) , smoking increased by bad breath significantly! It sure didn't mask any odors.
Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:16 pm
by halitosisux
Sputnik I think maybe you've misunderstood. I used to smoke while I had BB. I did so because during smoking a cigarette the smoke was more than enough to mask the odour of shit, so for a brief spell I could breathe freely and speak to anyone and smell "normal" like any other smoker. I cant imagine anyone's BB being so strong that it would be noticable over the smell of cigarette smoke being breathed out. Of course, within a very short space of time after finishing the cigarette, the lingering odour inside my mouth from the cigarette mixing with shit breath would have made it awful.
I'm not quite sure why halitosis would rise for the 5-6 months after quitting smoking and what this implies. I'm guessing that what aydinmur is saying is that during the time it takes for the ecology to normalize, whatever odours are at the source of the BB problem are going to increase. Its like when you do anything to cause microbial flora imbalances, the odours change and have a roller-coaster effect until things settle down.
Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:44 pm
by sputnik
Halitosisux, I agree that it does take a while for the body to return to a normal state after smoking. But what I was trying to say is that while I smoked, my bad breath became worst NOT in the sense that the smell of tobacco was added to the bad breath and therefore made my breath worse.
Let me try to explain what happened to me. My halitosis comes from the stomach and intestines (as far as I know). I sometimes had days when I ate right and my bad breath was mild (only on rare occasions). All I had to do was take a few drags and my breath became toxic almost instantly!
I still haven't figured out the mechanism behind this, but smoking didn't mask my breath at all, intead it significantly increased the shit smell that came out of my mouth. After a cigarette, anyone standing within 6 feet of me would have an almost violent reaction as a result of smelling my breath.
When I quit smoking, the bad breath didn't go away, that's one of the reasons it took me so long to quit, but I no longer have the super toxic breath I used to have right after a smoke.
Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:21 pm
by NOTANYMORE
Smoking will dry your mouth. Dry mouth = halitosis. It's not rocket science.
Also, I'm willing to bet most of the smokers drink caffeine like 90% of the world right? Well, MORE dry mouth on top of your smoking.
Add to that ANXIETY which is almost certainly the REASON you smoke in the first place........and you get EVEN MORE dry mouth.
So you will most certainly NEVER be cured because you lack the MENTAL TOUGHNESS required to improve you situation.
I'm just telling it like it is. So cry me a river..........
I still feel for you though and I wish you the best.
Your bud,
Not Any More
Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:53 pm
by sputnik
Ok....here's a news flash: I do not have nor did I ever have dry mouth.
And apperently I belong to the remaining 10% group of former smokers who do not nor did not ever drink coffee.
As for mental toughness, there are a wide variety of anti anxiety drugs or mood enhancers available for anyone who would find this to be an issue.
To come off and tell someone that there can never be a cure is just wrong and has nothing to do with honesty.
In your case, honesty would be admiting that you cannot possibly know the underlying cause of anyone elses condition expect MAYBE your own (if you really do suffer from bb that is).
And by stating the obvious like smoking will dry your mouth so will coffee, you're not really contributing at all.
Just telling you how it is.
Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:29 am
by NOTANYMORE
Stating the obvious is absolutely what people need to here!
I smoke 20 cigs a day and my breath stinks....how can that be?
Are you kidding me?
You people need a dose of reality. Even if you don't have chronic halitosis, smoking can make your breath stink..........and you said it yourself.
So if you're smoking and trying to find your cure at the same time, how will you ever know you found it? Answer that one and i'll give you a cookie.
Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:00 am
by NOTANYMORE
"In your case, honesty would be admiting that you cannot possibly know the underlying cause of anyone elses condition expect MAYBE your own (if you really do suffer from bb that is)."
I don't suffer from BB anymore.
I had a little halitophobia after my cure just because my mind was so used to dealing with BB (8 years worth) that I sometimes couldn't bring myself to talk to anyone in close quarters and would still habitually chew lot's of gum.
You know, I can't possibly understand everyone's condition; you're right about that. But common sense tells us that smoking can indirectly cause halitosis in many ways.......not just dry mouth.
Gum disease, oral cancer.....yes cancer stinks, respiratory infections, and even the smoke itself.
I know, it's just stating the obvious again right?
Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:32 pm
by KeepTrying09
I agree with NOTANYMORE.
If people really want to smoke then it's up to them. But if you're a bad breath sufferer then I hardly see how smoking could benefit you. I mean seriously, have they done any studies which show that smoking is good for you?
I don't understand why some people get so up in arms when someone tells them they should stop smoking. I mean I know it's an addictive habit, but seriously....
I'm sure I'll get flamed by all the smokers....
Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:37 pm
by halitosisux
The drying or irritating effects of smoking, caffeine etc are not causes of BB in themselves (generally speaking) but they will likely exacerbate any other underlying BB situation.
Any hope of curing BB requires a process of elimination and to do this requires that you eliminate as much as possible from the whole equation. Smoking etc is only adding to it.
Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:22 am
by Susie
I have to agree with Ihatemylife. If you want a cure you have to sacrifce!! I used to like drinking alcohol and when I realized it dried out my mouth even worse than normal I quit. Oh, sure I would like to have a drink after a hard day, but I refuse now that I know it makes my breath worse!
Jimi, no we don't hate smokers (ok maybe a little) I just don't like someone else gambling with my life by breathing second hand smoke on me when they darn well know the facts about it. Now OFF to the dungeon.....go go go! KIDDING!
Susie
Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:59 pm
by sputnik
Notanymore
I agree with the fact that smoking will inhibit anyone from finding the source of their bb, let alone a cure/ or treatment.
As for the potential fatal diseases related to smoking, statistics have shown that there is a 50% chance tobacco will eventually kill the smoker.
You get better odds playing Russian roulette.
The only thing I wanted to tell you is that you should never tell anyone struggling day in and day out with chronic halitosis that there is no hope of finding a cure. I 've read some of your posts and as a former sufferer, I'm sure you can understand how much hope allows us to deal with our condition.
KeepTrying
As a former smoker, I can honestly say that the reason smokers get up in arms when people tell them they should quit is because:
1/ They know its just about the worst habit anyone can have
2/ It takes mental preparation to work the courage to quit (for good)
3/ They are afraid to fail
4/ They feel guilty and weak
Well that was how I felt anyways. It took about a dozen attempts, but I finally did it. I've been smoke free for a total of 6 years.
Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:06 pm
by sputnik
Halitosisux
I don't really understand how smoking increased gases from my stomach exponentially, but I think that maybe it has to do with stomach acids.
I remember there were times when I smoked more than usual (usually in stressful situations) and I would get stomach pains. I don't think it's a coincidence that my bb would be extremely bad during those times.
Susie
It seems that you are right, the only way we may actually get some kind of result from halitosis is by making A LOT of sacrifices. I just takes a great deal of will power that I find I am lacking sometimes. But I'm working on it.
Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:11 pm
by dick.karma
i have a question to the smokers:
Does it really mask the fecal breath?