Your Email Address:

First Name:

Please please answer! I think i'm going mad

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
bad day1

Post by bad day1 »

Hi Hal. It's still me 'bad day'; I just had to create a new account. I forgot my old password.

Thanks for the reply, by the way. I also have another question. I already asked KT this via email, and got very good insights. I also request your thoughts on this.

My question went something like: If one's bb is caused by candida, will he get relief by taking Flagyl? I think yeast does not smell on its own, but it does when bacteria is introduced (much like body odor - sweat does not smell, but with bacteria, it will), and since Flagyl is a catch-all bacteria killer, will the candida-caused bb go away temporarily?

halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Hi bad day - You could try taking a course of flagyl to see the effects, but it wont really tell u much in relation to whether your BB relates to candidiasis or not.

Antibiotics like flagyl dont have any effect on yeast/fungi, as far as I know. Infact all antibiotics are likely to promote a yeast/fungi overgrowth, as well as disturb your overall microbial flora in your gut and other places where you have microbial flora.

I really have no idea whether its candidiasis itself or whether candidiasis causes odour by secondary means. Aydinmur says that candidiasis causes a cheesy odour. I'm not even sure whether candidiasis, ie in the mouth or throat/esophagus, always causes cotton-like patches or whether it causes raw red raised patches. Though, I can imagine any thickened white patches to become engulfed in bacteria, leading to odour production.

It totally depends whether any BB due to candidiasis is due to any secondary bacterial overgrowth as a consequence of the candidiasis, or whether its the overgrowth of candida itself which is responsible for the odours, as to the effect of taking flagyl.

Most people who tried taking fluconazole (anti-fungal) found that it did not make much difference to their BB - and any difference may have simply been due to a reduction in tongue coating, which would have led to reduced anaerobic surface in which BB causing bacteria thrive in.

But lots of people who've tried flagyl, including myself, saw major improvements to their BB, albeit only temporarily.

I think, generally, that if you suspect candidiasis or a tendency to candidiasis, then get that investigated and diagnosed and treated. Only that way can you rule out any connection between yeast/fungi and BB.
bad day1

Post by bad day1 »

Hey Hal.

I'm actually taking Flagyl right now. I'm on my third day of the course. My breath is perfectly fine now and no bad odor from the back of my tongue when I touch it. Although I still feel I have mucus on my throat and can still see a not so pink tongue; it really seems white tongue, PND and fresh breath can co-exist. I have taken Flagyl before but for 5 days only and the bb came back after the course; now I will be taking them for a couple days longer.

As for the yeast, I don't think I have candidiasis. I'm assuming that since the meds have a positive effect on me and given Flagyl does not act on yeast, it's not yeast overgrowth that is causing my bb. I just hope that with a longer course of Flagyl, the effect becomes permanent.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic