Page 2 of 3

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:32 pm
by MissPretty
Jimi wrote:My grandma had a tonsil surgery, but the doctor had a parkinson and he cut her tongue out. She was so sad but we were all happy because she japed too much.

So be careful, if the fucker shakes, RUN!!!
Oh My God !!

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:02 pm
by hope4now
I met with the doctor last Thursday. I told him the adenoids were producing stones like the tonsils. He said he will check the adenoids during the procedure and remove them if they are there. Apparently they tend to shrink and disappear for most people by adulthood. I'm pretty sure mine are still there. They tend to swell up when I'm stressed.

He called the tonsillectomy recovery period a "ten day roller coaster ride of pain". The pain comes and goes in waves. It won't be fun, but I think it will be worth it.

I'm keeping my expectations low. I'm looking forward to not having to clean out the tonsils/adenoids every day.

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:54 am
by MissPretty
Nervous. Surgery tomorrow

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:08 am
by hope4now
MissPretty wrote:Nervous. Surgery tomorrow
Same here. I just got a lot of soft foods to eat and got my pain meds ahead of time. Still I'm looking forward to getting them out.

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:02 am
by 2ndbanana
Don't be nervous this is just a minor surgery but make sure you discuss to your doctor that you want both of your tonsils remove coz I had a tonsillectomy 10 years ago and the doctor only removed one of my tonsils I just find this out 3 or 4 months ago that I still have one tonsil so yeah I'm gonna have to convince a doctor to remove my remaining tonsil. Recommended foods are gelatin, ice cream or any fruits that you can put in the blender.

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:00 pm
by hope4now
So far so good. Taking liquid hydrocodone every 4 hours for the pain, liquid amoxycillin every 8 hours for infection. The doc said there was no adenoid tissue to remove. He said the tonsils were full of crap, but that's pretty standard. I'm surprised how big a gap there is with the tonsils gone. Swallowing is difficult, tongue is sore. Ears feel a bit odd too. Taking CoQ10 and vitamin C to speed healing. Feels like it will be a fast recovery. Have to wait until the antibiotics are through and the scabs have healed to see if bb comes back or not.

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:37 pm
by MissPretty
Hope4now; nice to hear that things are going well for you. I have really sore throat and has barely been in me some food since the surgery. Just want this to go over. It will be nice to get rid of those nasty tonsils taken out but if the bad breath disappears also remains to be seen

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:36 pm
by hope4now
MissPretty, make sure you get enough fluids. I hope they gave you enough pain meds to make swallowing easier. I've been eating soft or liquid foods like scrambled eggs,cream of wheat, protein shakes, yogurt, pudding, jello, etc.

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:45 pm
by MissPretty
hope4now wrote:MissPretty, make sure you get enough fluids. I hope they gave you enough pain meds to make swallowing easier. I've been eating soft or liquid foods like scrambled eggs,cream of wheat, protein shakes, yogurt, pudding, jello, etc.
I'm trying to get in as much as I can but it hurts to swallow. Yes, I've got pain. Voltaren 50 mg and Citodon. What have you got? Does it help? Did you have large tonsils? Mine was not really that big. Take care of yourself

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:53 pm
by hope4now
MissPretty wrote:
hope4now wrote:MissPretty, make sure you get enough fluids. I hope they gave you enough pain meds to make swallowing easier. I've been eating soft or liquid foods like scrambled eggs,cream of wheat, protein shakes, yogurt, pudding, jello, etc.
I'm trying to get in as much as I can but it hurts to swallow. Yes, I've got pain. Voltaren 50 mg and Citodon. What have you got? Does it help? Did you have large tonsils? Mine was not really that big. Take care of yourself
Liquid hydrocodon for the pain. Seems to be effective at dulling the pain, although throat and tongue still sore. Doesn't cause nausea like codeine. I think my tonsils were normal sized. Never saw them after surgery.

One more thing. The hydrocodone and other narcotic pain relievers cause constipation. I started taking milk of magnesia (magnesum hydroxide) before bed - that does the trick. The doctor should have warned me.

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:43 am
by SunDancer
Hey all.
I've managed to get my doctor to refer me to the hospital to see a ENT specialist. My doctor said they very rarely remove tonsils from adults (I'm in my early 20's) So the question I have do you have any tips to help convince the ENT specialist that my tonsils need to go? Mine produce tonsil stone's like most you and I also get ulcers on my tonsil's that make it hard to swallow, I've taken photos of my tonsils with the ulcers and with tonsil stone to show them as I want as much evidence to show them to try convince them they should remove them..... I know that it's not always the cure to BB but if they remove them and I still have BB at least I know it's something else.

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:21 pm
by john_bb
hey what are the updates...How is ur BB...Pls share with us

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:19 pm
by MissPretty
Hi, everyone. I still really sore after the surgery. My bad breath is still there, much worse. But it is said that it should be normal after this kind of surgery. I'll let you know in a few days

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:22 am
by hope4now
Too soon to tell. Still on the antibiotic. The scabs are starting to come off so bb is worse for now. At least the pain is getting better. I still have to avoid acidic foods, but am eating solid food again. I read that complete healing can take a month or more.

10/13 update: almost pain free. able to eat normally. almost off the oxycodone and antibiotic. tonsil cavities still partially white, so not fully healed yet. I am taking CoQ10 which I think speeds up recovery.

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:35 pm
by dick.karma
congrats on your surgeries... say goodbye to those pesky stones!